• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U rumors: Limiting chipset for controller, developer issues, release date talk

AzaK

bgassassin said:
Not only that, but Riccitiello seems to have accidentally let it slip that EA will be supporting multiple controllers for their games.

Do you have any links for that? Not questioning, just curious.

Andrex said:
Multiple controllers + big bumps in the devkits give me a LOT more faith in Wii U.

Now I just want to see some first party games (and more third party ones.)

I'm obviously biased, but I think a lot will be pleasantly surprised to happy with the final result.

As for that comment click the link below to hear him say it. The whole Wii U part starts at 5:45, but the "slip" happens around 7:30. It was back at E3 in an interview with Keighley and I don't think he meant to say it because he stuttered a little. It was like he realized he said something he wasn't meant to and he covered himself right after saying it. You might need to let it load a little before skipping to that part.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-electronic-arts/715151

Also I completely forgot about this. Credit to iceman00004 on IGN Boards. This was the video shown after the press conference. As another user said it's not "live", but this one indicated they were playing wireless.

http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/video/HW_demo

For all we know the 01 rumor could be based on things that happened with the first dev kit like the other rumor they had about Wii U hardware components and its power. That would have happened back in April/May.

Medalion

Banned
Infinite Justice said:
Being fair it was Nintendo's time on the GAF "doomed" wheel since Sony and MS "doomed" stuff has passed already.
Nintendo's time is everytime, even when the Wii was doing really well in sales people were noticing the software was not selling a good ratio to the hardware

If that Kirby game ever comes out and it does have some sort of connection to the one thats been in development forever the Iwata Asks is gonna be awesome lol.

"We started all over again" (laughs)

(laughs) The whole thing? Then what did you do?

"We started that again all over again" (laughs)

(laughs)

Medalion said:
Nintendo's time is everytime, even when the Wii was doing really well in sales people were noticing the software was not selling a good ratio to the hardware
That doesn't sound like saying their doomed, sounds like the software wasn't selling as good relating to the hardware.

upJTboogie said:
That doesn't sound like saying their doomed, sounds like the software wasn't selling as good relating to the hardware.
Well that was after discounting games they didn't like/consider real games/bundled with something/sold well on other systems/had big budgets/etc. That's also not considerring the the absolute crapfest most "X game announced for Wii" threads became. Made for some good meltdowns and mass bannings though.

firelink

Banned
Game-Biz said:
Actually, I'm betting all these rumors are more or less true. Doesn't mean that they're bad news though. 01.com has credibility, they wouldn't just make shit up just to lose it.

Tons of sites have credibility. Tons of sites make shit up.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
bgassassin said:
I'm obviously biased, but I think a lot will be pleasantly surprised to happy with the final result.

As for that comment click the link below to hear him say it. The whole Wii U part starts at 5:45, but the "slip" happens around 7:30. It was back at E3 in an interview with Keighley and I don't think he meant to say it because he stuttered a little. It was like he realized he said something he wasn't meant to and he covered himself right after saying it. You might need to let it load a little before skipping to that part.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-electronic-arts/715151

Also I completely forgot about this. Credit to iceman00004 on IGN Boards. This was the video shown after the press conference. As another user said it's not "live", but this one indicated they were playing wireless.

http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/video/HW_demo

For all we know the 01 rumor could be based on things that happened with the first dev kit like the other rumor they had about Wii U hardware components and its power. That would have happened back in April/May.
I didn't get that he was referring to multiple touch controllers out of that video, but rather the controller and the tv. In either case, I'll be getting a Wii U at launch. All I had to see was the Zelda demo and I'm sold. I'm sure the next Xbox and Playstation will beat it in power, but especially if they aren't released until 2014 or 2015, who cares? The particle and lighting effects in the Zelda demo looked great. My hope right now is that the average 3rd party game will look just as good as 360/PS3, but at 1080p and 60 fps. Being that the tech is a few years older than what's in those systems, I don't think that's asking for too much.

In regard to the OP. It sounds like the frustration is that the controller in the dev kits aren't wireless and they can't fully develop for them because of that. It sounds to me like the processor in the controller was unrelated to the problem they had with the black box tethering the controller down. Hopefully Nintendo listens to developers though and fixes this stuff before release.

MadOdorMachine said:
I didn't get that he was referring to multiple touch controllers out of that video, but rather the controller and the tv.

Really? He specifically said "Whether you're looking at two screens into the same game or multiple screens into the same game..."

Two screens would be the controller and TV, but then there would be no reason to add the "multiple screens" part if that was all he was referring to.

EDIT: But as far as power, I'm sorta like you. I'm expecting something that gives us very nice looking 1st-party games and something that's able to handle down ports from PS4 and Xbox 3.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
bgassassin said:
Really? He specifically said "Whether you're looking at two screens into the same game or multiple screens into the same game..."

Two screens would be the controller and TV, but then there would be no reason to add the "multiple screens" part if that was all he was referring to.

EDIT: But as far as power, I'm sorta like you. I'm expecting something that gives us very nice looking 1st-party games and something that's able to handle down ports from PS4 and Xbox 3.
After watching it again, he could have been referring to more than one touchscreen, but I took it in context that he was reiterating two screens - one touchscreen and one tv. It's possible he was referring to more than one touchscreen though. He said it in passing, so he was either reiterating or they have been working with more than one touchscreen on games. He sounded to confident to be speculating imo.

I truly wonder if these are just usual growing pains of every console development phase, just this particular one is more televised...

Regardless, Nintendo can't allow any of the wireless components to be made/manufactured/built on the cheap, or we'll see another Wiimote scenario of the tech itself holding back the real potential of the input device. Not only that, but if this is new/recent news, than Nintendo needs to get it together or they'll lose dev support fast.

Gaborn

Things like this are why, assuming (as I do) Nintendo will have a fairly smooth launch next year and has all the major bullet points planned out Nintendo needs to open up a bit more with people. Hype is good. Excitement is good. Mystery is good. What Nintendo did is a semi-botched unveiling that was considered unclear and that Nintendo is STILL trying to explain. Nintendo also stated online won't be an issue, but by the sound of it they intend it to be substantially different from the Wii... but we don't have the firm details on how it will differ beyond the broad strokes.

So there is speculation and rumor, and enough territory for it on the most basic issues it breeds uncertainty. I think Nintendo knows where they're going with the Wii U and I think the developers know but while silence on the issue might work in terms of getting casual fans to focus on all the 3DS news which is certainly good, that's not going to work on hardcore gamers or GAF generally.

Nintendo needs to reintroduce the world to the Wii U, show it off properly, show it's games, it needs to be given a brief moment to shine again... and then we can go back to silence. Nintendo needs to change the narrative around it because, while it will sell well no matter what at launch what Nintendo has done is create a bit of hesitancy in gamers towards the Wii U, some cynicism. If Nintendo truly wants to go after core gamers this generation the way you do that is to show off games and give a few more specifics on the system. Even simply announcing who you're partnering with to help with your online and, say, showing off some of the interface around it will answer a lot of people's questions.

AzaK

Gaborn said:
Nintendo needs to reintroduce the world to the Wii U, show it off properly, show it's games, it needs to be given a brief moment to shine again...

Agreed, and I think (read hope) this is why they are so quiet; they are lining all their ducks up in a row. They have to make a splash and have to get the hype going for this thing.

They have taken a massive whack to their image (To say nothing of their stock price - joy) with the 3DS launch and the Wii U unveiling did not really seem to enamour people to them either.

Nintendo has great ideas but uses outdated technology to keep costs down because they have marketed themselves as being a family oriented entertainment device for several years now.

Kyzer

Banned
Interesting...At best Nintendo is still hiding big things yet to be unveiled even to third party devs. At worst, Wii U was a desperate preemptive move that wont even make it to launch without some problems.

Top Bottom