• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U rumors: Limiting chipset for controller, developer issues, release date talk

wrowa said:
Yeah, right. The leak of the Vita specs didn't happen. And that they got the Wii U controller + devkit hardware right, who cares, right? As soon as they say something unfavorable they have to be dumbasses!

01 is also a publisher of French print-magazines, so making shit up is nothing they gain from. To the contrary, it would harm the reputation of their magazines. But who cares right?

Their leak of the Vita's RAM reduction turned out to be false.

Oh and I was wrong about the wireless E3 demonstrations. Looking back on them, it turns out that they were wired, so that could be true (but really? It can't be a problem with just one tablet. They can't have been stupid enough to unveil a system when they're not even sure if the core concept actually works!)

Still, it's very possible that they could be being fed bullshit information, like what happened before with the supposed Vita RAM cut.

JimWood27 said:
Yeah, lets get the doom and gloom rolling in another thread!

June 2012 is still 10 months away, plenty of time to iron out any kinks.

Yes only positive wii u news, folks. You're being unfair!

Shiggy said:
Sounds credible, nothing that sounds absolutely unbelievable. Especially considering the same source is said to have given the Cafe information. Actually, they got the initial releasedate plans right and the issues with current dev kits are obvious, the hardware is just not ready.

Indeed. It's conceivable that some employee, disgruntled by Wii U's dev kit issues, decided to leak this anonymously in order to perhaps send a message to Nintendo. "Up the ante so we can give proper support to the system day 1 this time around."

Many of us on these boards were expecting a small delay anyway, and September is historically a good month to launch a console. This news is nothing to get overly worked up about. At least consumer units have not gone into production yet. Any problems identified now still have time to be worked out.

Luckyman

Banned
DaSorcerer7 said:
troll tri fecta: jwong, french, luckyman. yeah.. its a wii u thread

So sensitive. Just stating facts it has never been shown wirelessly. Dosen't mean it wont work at launch.

Fredrik

Don't worry, Nintendo won't release this thing until it works.
Plus, delays could actually mean better hardware. It has happened before. Hype rising. ;)

mollipen

No idea about the site and their sources, but a few things to say about what's been brought up in this thread.

Third-parties saying how awesome Wii U is - of course they're going to say that. Do you not pay attention to hardware reveals? Developers always talk up new hardware, unless they're stupid / brave enough to screw over their relationship with the company before they see how successful the hardware is. Devs talking up the Wii U at E3 means nothing.

Everything working fine at E3 - you're talking about small demos made specifically for the show, not actual games in real-world situations. We also don't know what's changed about hardware / OS / dev kit plans since then, and any number of things that have happened could be causing these rumored issues. Just because something works at E3 doesn't mean anything. When you've got something to show at a trade event, you do everything you can to make sure that what small piece you're going to show is working enough to instill confidence. Happens all of the time with other types of tech hardware and software.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Who was that one guy that said the Wii U would be weaker than the 360 because it was smaller?
KuGsj.gif

that was funny

Fourth Storm said:
Indeed. It's conceivable that some employee, disgruntled by Wii U's dev kit issues, decided to leak this anonymously in order to perhaps send a message to Nintendo. "Up the ante so we can give proper support to the system day 1 this time around."

Many of us on these boards were expecting a small delay anyway, and September is historically a good month to launch a console. This news is nothing to get overly worked up about. At least consumer units have not gone into production yet. Any problems identified now still have time to be worked out.
wired controllers worked at E3 and where shown with games playing using them, in fact I don't know how the wired controller is supposed to not work; regardless, unless they made it worse that before, I don't know how this source is credible.

Jokeropia

krypt0nian said:
Yes only positive wii u news, folks. You're being unfair!
How about only news, not unsubstantiated rumors.
JWong said:
Every Nintendo news should end with "Nintendo Stocks Dropped".
Sorry to disappoint you:
On Tuesday August 23, 2011, 7:08 am EDT

Nintendo (Other OTC:NTDOY.PK) shares rose more than 8% on the Osaka Securities Exchange amid news reports that the company will hold a 3DS trade show and introduce new peripherals and games for its handheld system, Reuters reported.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Nintendo-shares-rise-Tokyo-theflyonthewall-176299032.html?x=0&.v=1

[QUOTE='[Nintex]Game Informer and IGN then went stupid with speculations about GTAV at E3(not true)[/QUOTE]
Technically IGN and Game Informer only speculated that GTAV might be coming to the Wii U because of this article by 01net of which we've seen no evidence of whatsoever.

ShockingAlberto said:
Technically IGN and Game Informer only speculated that GTAV might be coming to the Wii U because of this article by 01net of which we've seen no evidence of whatsoever.

At this point, I think its safe to say that he's a lost cause.

Some people just don't want to listen to reason.

The industry is undergoing a radical mutation, and there is a growing amount of rumors positioning Microsoft’s next system to be unveiled during the 2012 E3 conference, and a relase in short order. If that was to happen, the Wii U would only enjoy a few months of ‘optimal run’ alongside the Xbox 360, which would essentially moot the much-touted ease with which developers can port 360 code for the Wii U. To succeed in its incredibly audacious endeavour, Nintendo will have to walk a very tight rope.”

It seems like the more info we get on the console, the more it sounds like an absolute disaster. It will be cheaper than the 720, but that advantage won't last, and it might not be exciting enough for many gamers to buy a system to play ports of games they played 1-2 years ago.

MisterHero

ShockingAlberto said:

When Lego City Stories debuted at E3 '11 I thought that it was Rockstar's Wii U project

boingball

Quick, dump your Nintendo stock!

Will be interesting to see whether anything of this is true.
My opinion of the Wii U controller is that Nintendo is hoping to sell this as a tablet for 250bucks (or whatever the price will be) which plays Mario compared to the iPad which sells for more. (My conclusion from their E3 presentation which focused solely on the controller).

Looking forward to the next two articles. What else can they bash in Nintendo? The eShop?

Nuclear Muffin said:
Surfergirl got a good few things right. Doesn't mean that they were a credible source (since they also got plenty of things wrong)

Ever had the thought that it could be someone from Sony posing as a disgruntled Nintendo employee? (given their history of sourcing information from Sony, that is a very distinct possibility)

This latest Wii U rumour is not only non specific and vague, it also directly contradicts what we already know about the hardware from the E3 playable demonstrations in that at least one tablet works perfectly (as in absolutely ZERO perceivable lag) when streaming.

And yet you continue to consider 01 Net a reliable source?

Just to go on the record and say I agree that these rumors are BS and just because some website got something right before does not imply nor mean that this has any weight whatsoever but I doubt sony has anything to do with this.

WillyFive

Jokeropia said:
Is rumors the same thing as news, though?

What if they are worth talking about? This would certainly derail a thread if it was part of another thread, and it's not from just a random website.

The biggest leap for the rumors is that every correct rumor 01net has posted has been something Ubisoft would know.

These, however, come from a "Nintendo insider," are being leaked over five days for some reason, and some are things Ubisoft would not necessarily know.

Dabanton

Willy105 said:
What if they are worth talking about? This would certainly derail a thread if it was part of another thread, and it's not from just a random website.

It seems for some people if rumours are 'negative' they aren't at all worth discussing.

Jokeropia said:
Hey, I can dream. In the meantime though, I'd settle for not having a separate thread for every rumor.

Well, if these rumors continue to be proven false with no shred of evidence the source should be banned. instead of not having new threads for rumors maybe the sites that post them will be banned instead? After all, if the site isn't credible in their rumors why waste time and hits on a site?

I do believe that rumors have their place here at NeoGAF but consistantly wrong sources do not.

WillyFive

ShockingAlberto said:
are being leaked over five days for some reason,

This is another thing I find weird.

Seems like a feature article, like those 1UP used to do that would cover the entire week.

Boney

Banned

Jokeropia

Dabanton said:
It seems for some people if rumours are 'negative' they aren't at all worth discussing.
I don't care for positive rumors either, personally. They just lead to disappointment if they turn out to be false.

Delio

Ah another negative Nintendo thread. I suppose they dont do anything good anymore so keep the ball rollin gaf.

Top Bottom