• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U rumors: Limiting chipset for controller, developer issues, release date talk

dakranii

Neo Member
GCX said:
Why would anyone want to release a console in June?

I actually think it makes sense and is a better option than releasing right before the holidays.

It gets the console in early adopter's hands and then leaves the holidays free for holiday adopters. Don't have both go out at the same time. If early adopters, who are going to buy it anyways, get their systems, they don't be competing for a limited stock with holiday adopters who are only going to buy during the holiday. If you miss them because stock is low, you might miss their sale altogether.

It also allows for games to come out, an install base to grow for holiday games, and word of mouth to work its magic, which is important for Nintendo's latest systems. You have to try it to appreciate it (which I discovered with the 3DS...had no plans to buy it, but I did when the price cut came and I'm thoroughly enjoying even without any games!).

Holiday rolls around and you've got a system that has had 6 months of market penetration, positive buzz, and a healthy supply of stock, rather than a system that just came out and everyone is frantic over.

Shiggy

ShockingAlberto said:
The biggest leap for the rumors is that every correct rumor 01net has posted has been something Ubisoft would know.

These, however, come from a "Nintendo insider," are being leaked over five days for some reason, and some are things Ubisoft would not necessarily know.

The information on here is probably not from someone who works at Nintendo, but at a French developer. NoE should not be too bothered with actual development and dev kit issues.

dakranii said:
I actually think it makes sense and is a better option than releasing right before the holidays.

It gets the console in early adopter's hands and then leaves the holidays free for holiday adopters. Don't have both go out at the same time. If early adopters, who are going to buy it anyways, get their systems, they don't be competing for a limited stock with holiday adopters who are only going to buy during the holiday. If you miss them because stock is low, you might miss their sale altogether.

It also allows for games to come out, an install base to grow for holiday games, and word of mouth to work its magic, which is important for Nintendo's latest systems. You have to try it to appreciate it (which I discovered with the 3DS...had no plans to buy it, but I did when the price cut came and I'm thoroughly enjoying even without any games!).

Holiday rolls around and you've got a system that has had 6 months of market penetration, positive buzz, and a healthy supply of stock, rather than a system that just came out and everyone is frantic over.
Completely agree, any earlier than June you experience slumpy sales, gives the console a bad rep, then after June the heavy hitters start coming out and then holiday you have to compete with even more heavy hitters, no matter what Nintendo launches the console with, they can not go head to head with the heavy hitters without their own.

[Nintex]

BishopLamont said:
Completely agree, any earlier than June you experience slumpy sales, gives the console a bad rep, then after June the heavy hitters start coming out and then holiday you have to compete with even more heavy hitters, no matter what Nintendo launches the console with, they can not go head to head with the heavy hitters without their own.
I think Nintendo should launch in june with 1 or 2 strong first party titles to iron out any potential supply issues that might show up early on. Releasing titles like Darksiders II would make sense during that timeframe as well, maybe late ports like Batman and Aliens can get some traction as well with the new Wii U fanbase. Then holiday 2012 Nintendo should have nearly all the big third party games as well as an additional 2 heavy hitters. After that it's smooth sailing for a while but they have to get those first 6 months right.

Shiggy said:
The information on here is probably not from someone who works at Nintendo, but at a French developer. NoE should not be too bothered with actual development and dev kit issues.
Probably, but that is in essence part of the problem.

There's a lot of "insider information" that does not refer to 3DS development, but internal Nintendo management. While it's reasonable that some of this information would be passed to, let's be honest, probably an Ubisoft leaker, in a professional capacity, a lot of it sounds like friend-of-a-friend information that isn't being framed as such.

So while some things are probably accurate - dev kit issues, WiiU not streaming correctly yet - some of the other stuff seems like supposition on 01net or the leaker's part.

Zing

Banned
Ubermatik said:
No-one has any reason to be worried. This is all rumour and speculation, Nintendo know what they're doing, and Reggie appeared in my dreams to say everything was okay.

07-minister.jpg

wrowa said:
01 is also a publisher of French print-magazines, so making shit up is nothing they gain from. To the contrary, it would harm the reputation of their magazines. But who cares right?

Actually, the reputation of French printed gaming press has been considered unsalvageable for years now.

MDX

Sounds like industrial sabotage to me.
Leaking negative info about your competitor prior to them releasing their product.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was behind it.
I believe they fear the release of the WiiU and a 3DS XMAS sales spike more than anyone at this point.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
MDX said:
Sounds like industrial sabotage to me.
Leaking negative info about your competitor prior to them releasing their product.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was behind it.
I believe they fear the release of the WiiU and a 3DS XMAS sales spike more than anyone at this point.

This is standard stuff for every console pre-launch. Development kits and software are always shoddily assembled Frankensteins until well after release.

StevieP

Banned
Ushojax said:
This is standard stuff for every console pre-launch. Development kits and software are always shoddily assembled Frankensteins until well after release.

Quit spouting your sanity.

antonz

I dont know the people I have spoke to that have had hands on time with the Dev Kits have never mentioned controller issues. Some Hardware inssues for the console itself but not controller

Ushojax said:
The Wii dev kit did not have the ability to use the speaker until a month before launch games went gold.

antonz said:
I dont know the people I have spoke to that have had hands on time with the Dev Kits have never mentioned controller issues. Some Hardware inssues for the console itself but not controller
The people I have spoken to have specifically mentioned that the latest devkits are unstable, in that they tend to hard lock, but nothing about the streaming itself just not working.

It seems very odd for anyone, Nintendo included, to announce an entire feature to base their system around and then go "Wait, does this not actually work?"

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:
The people I have spoken to have specifically mentioned that the latest devkits are unstable, in that they tend to hard lock, but nothing about the streaming itself just not working.

It seems very odd for anyone, Nintendo included, to announce an entire feature to base their system around and then go "Wait, does this not actually work?"
2FC6i.jpg

*runs*

Game-Biz

Actually, I'm betting all these rumors are more or less true. Doesn't mean that they're bad news though. 01.com has credibility, they wouldn't just make shit up just to lose it.

[Nintex] said:
I did say "to base a system around."

The Vitality Sensor was probably something they were cooking up in R&D and Iwata needed something to announce that year to get USA Today interested, so they just announced it.

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:
I did say "to base a system around."

The Vitality Sensor was probably something they were cooking up in R&D and Iwata needed something to announce that year to get USA Today interested, so they just announced it.
I think he just walked by a random thingy someone was working on put it in his pocket and told Reggie and everyone at NOA it was a vitality sensor so they made all those slides. He then made up all that talk about the thing and watched Ubisoft copy it. After that it was fun and laughter at Nintendo's annual shareholder meeting.

Still Nintendo has completely canned stuff before. The vitality sensor is just one example but they also shoved aside the broadband adapters for the GameCube and a whole bunch of games over the years(Stage Debut, Kirby GC etc.) so yes this would take it to the next level but like always it's not impossible.

sfried

[Nintex] said:
Still Nintendo has completely canned stuff before. The vitality sensor is just one example but they also shoved aside the broadband adapters for the GameCube and a whole bunch of games over the years(Stage Debut, Kirby GC etc.) so yes this would take it to the next level but like always it's not impossible.
Uh...The GC Broadband Adapter did come out, 'cause I have one. It also works with Kirby's Air Ride for Wired Lan multiplayer.

[Nintex]

sfried said:
Uh...The GC Broadband Adapter did come out, 'cause I have one. It also works with Kirby's Air Ride for Wired Lan multiplayer.
And with Phantasy Star Online I know but when Nintendo first announced those things it was just like if they were going to do online gaming.

[Nintex] said:

...didn't Stage Debut serve as a springboard for stuff like Tomodachi Collection etc.? And Kirby GC possibly turned into the new Wii title, although the dev history there is completely in darkness (until a possible Iwata Asks for the game).

Cosmonaut X said:
Shocking Alberto / antonz:

What kind of "hardware issues" (beyond hard locks) are we talking about?
It's all secondhand, but mostly stuff with the wiimotes and the UPad not playing nicely together, occasional desyncing between the graphics and sound when playing on the controller, bluetooth interference.

ShockingAlberto said:
It's all secondhand, but mostly stuff with the wiimotes and the UPad not playing nicely together, occasional desyncing between the graphics and sound when playing on the controller, bluetooth interference.

Cheers - it's always interesting to hear about dev niggles, even if it is secondhand.

EDIT:

And thanks, antonz :)

antonz

Cosmonaut X said:
Cheers - it's always interesting to hear about dev niggles, even if it is secondhand.
And beyond what was said there have been cooling issues. Havent bothered to check in on if they have been resolved.

sfried

ShockingAlberto said:
So basically crosstalk problems? This was actually something brought up in the Beyond3D forums Wii U thread too...

antonz said:
And beyond what was said there have been cooling issues. Havent bothered to check in on if they have been resolved.
That probably helps cause the hard-locks, now that I think about it.

On the positive side, I have heard that (aside from the above mentioned issues), the new kits are a decent bump from the early summer ones.

ShockingAlberto said:

On the positive side, I have heard that (aside from the above mentioned issues), the new kits are a decent bump from the early summer ones.

"Decent bump" as in grunt, or as in more stable?

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:

Is it still using an R770LE or the actual Wii U chipset? Because of what I gathered there weren't any actual Wii U chipsets around as of yet.

Cosmonaut X said:
"Decent bump" as in grunt, or as in more stable?
Grunt. Things they did not have running well before on early kits, the latter kits were more than capable of.

Scuttlebutt is that another kit revision is coming this fall.

[Nintex] said:
Is it still using an R770LE or the actual Wii U chipset? Because of what I gathered there weren't any actual Wii U chipsets around as of yet.
That I don't know and would likely be unable to parse even if someone told me. All I heard was "Hey, this thing didn't work well, now it does!" because when it comes to the specifics of tech, I am a preschooler.

Shiggy

Cosmonaut X said:
...didn't Stage Debut serve as a springboard for stuff like Tomodachi Collection etc.? And Kirby GC possibly turned into the new Wii title, although the dev history there is completely in darkness (until a possible Iwata Asks for the game).

Kirby GC looks completely different. It looks like a completely different game, they probably started all over again.

Eteric Rice

Nintendo might be watching Sony and MS, to see where their next systems fall in terms of power. Since rumors are saying that the next systems won't be massively more powerful than the current gen, it's possible.

I'm sure Nintendo doesn't want another Wii situation.

Eteric Rice said:
Nintendo might be watching Sony and MS, to see where their next systems fall in terms of power. Since rumors are saying that the next systems won't be massively more powerful than the current gen, it's possible.

I'm sure Nintendo doesn't want another Wii situation.
Even a massive gulf in power would probably not create another Wii situation, at least not identically so.

Wii U could be minor league compared to XBox 3 and PS4's majors, but this time they'll at least be in the same ballpark. Developers won't have to use a different team to make a game play on the Wii U any more than, say, CD Projekt needs a different team to make Witcher 2 run on 360.

ShockingAlberto said:
That I don't know and would likely be unable to parse even if someone told me. All I heard was "Hey, this thing didn't work well, now it does!" because when it comes to the specifics of tech, I am a preschooler.

OT but are you a developer or simply friends with other devs?

Eteric Rice

ShockingAlberto said:
Even a massive gulf in power would probably not create another Wii situation, at least not identically so.

Wii U could be minor league compared to XBox 3 and PS4's majors, but this time they'll at least be in the same ballpark. Developers won't have to use a different team to make a game play on the Wii U any more than, say, CD Projekt needs a different team to make Witcher 2 run on 360.

Hopefully it's at least like the PS2 was during it's generation.

wildfire

Banned
boris feinbrand said:
Throw enough shit at a wall and eventually something sticks.
So far they have been quality rumormongers not quality.

If they are right about either of these two latest rumors we can look at them as a reliable source (especially with the 3DS dongle because that should under no circumstances become true)

Eteric Rice said:
Hopefully it's at least like the PS2 was during it's generation.

That should be the worst case scenario. The TEV unit in the GC/Wii was pretty outdated and limited compared to what was in the PS360.

EDIT:

And for those wondering about multiple controller support.

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/report-wii-u-can-stream-multiple-controllers

According to sources close to Japanese gaming website Game Watch - translated by Nintendo World Report - the Wii GPU, supplied by AMD, has two output modes, one of which supports the streaming of up to four "SD images".

dacuk

PigSpeakers said:
It says in the article that the WiiU controller causes headaches.

WiiU causes motion sickness and headaches for ALL gamers. Parents calling for Nintendo's head! Man vomits all over his WiiU peripheral for Wii.

Sounds like a The Sun header.

I want to like the WiiU so badly but the more I hear, the more I get discouraged.

Probably will just bury my head in the sand until more definitive stuff comes out.

A delay would be horrible for their next-gen game plan, so I can see it being rushed if necessary. They are wanting to maximise on the ports in what seems like the golden age of the current-gen, and be around for as long as possible before the real next-gen systems from MS and Sony release.

dacuk

I am not afraid about Nintendo disappearing / going 3rd party / is doomed.
I am afraid about what will happen to GAF if that day comes.

daCuk said:

I wouldn't worry about it.
Our grandchildren will be dead by the time that happens.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
bgassassin said:
Not only that, but Riccitiello seems to have accidentally let it slip that EA will be supporting multiple controllers for their games.

Multiple controllers + big bumps in the devkits give me a LOT more faith in Wii U.

Now I just want to see some first party games (and more third party ones.)

Medalion

Banned
daCuk said:
GAF without Nintendo is doomed speculation is like a day without sunshine

Top Bottom