• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfried

But the formula is 2x = 5x. So that's what you need to solve.
At least there's some kind of assertion I can pick up from is:

WiiU will have a siginifactly different architecture from its competitors. But hopefully they won't be lacking in the established rendering standards this time (tesselation, etc).

The big question is ease of development and how having to port pre-existing code from other systems will work out.

But the formula is 2x = 5x. So that's what you need to solve.
that's pretty simple. I've already concluded that x=1 so 2 = 5 is the answer. Therefore the article saying it's only 2 times as powerful means it's 5 times as powerful, and IGN saying it's 5 times as powerful means it's 2 times as powerful.

Now you just perform strong induction and proof it, perhaps apply the pigeon-hole principle, and I think we just cracked it.

WiiU will have siginifactly different architectures from its competitors. But hopefully they won't be lacking in the established rendering standards this time (tesselation, etc).

Incorrect.
It's using a fairly similar architecture to the 360, actually.
Which will make developing for it very easy.

antonz

The first "leak" was 50% stronger. What makes me wonder is the "would not be fair to compare" statement. But the same company told as "at least PS360 power". The Battlefield Guy was angry about low WiiU power but stated it would be the strongest console "by far" at release..... And that is all about the older devkits.....

See thats where it gets confusing the first GPU leak put it much more than 50% but the initial CPU leak could be viewed as 50% faster to uninformed people. Like IGN running PC hardware and saying well this really isnt much

Vinci

Danish
My calculations actually place the Wii U's power at roughly 3.7x the current HD generation consoles, though it could be as high as 3.92x depending upon Nintendo's decision regarding the flibbertigibit and RAM upscalezzation.

WiiU will have a siginifactly different architecture from its competitors. But hopefully they won't be lacking in the established rendering standards this time (tesselation, etc).

The big question is ease of development and how having to port pre-existing code from other systems will work out.

that's pretty simple. I've already concluded that x=1 so 2 = 5 is the answer. Therefore the article saying it's only 2 times as powerful means it's 5 times as powerful, and IGN saying it's 5 times as powerful means it's 2 times as powerful.

Now you just perform strong induction and proof it, perhaps apply the pigeon-hole principle, and I think we just cracked it.

I need to go to bed. I'm slow on both posts and edits. :p

@sfried - I think that question should be the easiest to answer considering the CPU is OoO.

@Pyromaniac - I agree with your assessment. :D

My calculations actually place the Wii U's power at roughly 3.7x the current HD generation consoles, though it could be as high as 3.92x depending upon Nintendo's decision regarding the flibbertigibit and RAM upscalezzation.

But did you carry 2.9x for the orange port?

Antioch

""Naturally, we'll make both," Miyamoto said, "They each have their own appeal." He went on to explain that up until now it was difficult to judge distance and space in a 3D game, but the Nintendo 3DS's upper screen will make it easy to understand. "It'll be simple to jump up underneath a floating question block," he said.

As far as 2D Mario games go, Miyamoto pointed out that as players advance, they don't know "whether a Wiggler or a Bullet Bill" is coming next from the edge of the screen. He said these kind of challenges came up during the Virtual Boy era, but concluded by saying "I think there are a variety of ways the Nintendo 3DS can be used in those two directions.""

http://www.1up.com/news/shigeru-miyamoto-forecasts-2d-3d

It doesn't sound like it was deep in development at that time, but this is from November 2010. So yeah, we've know for a while now that NSMB 3D is coming, and to me it's always made more sense to be released for the 3DS before Wii U.

No. I didn't. I assumed that the transliterations from the shifting micro-pisconne made that somewhat irrelevant, honestly. Perhaps I should add it in.

You definitely don't want to make that mistake. People looking to trash Nintendo will jump all over that as proof to say Wii U is slightly more powerful than last gen.

Arkam makes no sense. This is a weird generation in that people think the 360 and PS3 were from the future and are still these behemoth machines. They're seven year old technology. The 360 and PS3 are at the level of technological relevance today that the Dreamcast was at when the PS3 launched in 2006. Think about that. To even consider that the Wii U will be using 2004-era technology and expect to last through 2018 is laughable. Neogaf, I am disappoint.

This argument almost isn't worth entertaining. To simply rebuke these claims gives a stronger air of validity than they actually have.

*Sits back and waits for E3*

Vinci

Danish
WiiU power level doesn't matter because each WiiU is going to come with a lifetime supply of shrooms.

See? A feature I don't need. I already got a lifetime supply of shrooms - what do I need another supply for? There goes Nintendo acting like Sony.

Hiltz

Iwata: Have you been observing the forums since Wii U was announced?

Miyamoto: Yes. It's been quite amusing.

Iwata: They really think they can figure out how powerful the console's going to be.

Miyamoto: What a waste of time. Maybe they should be reminded that Wii U can stream a video game from the tv right to the FREAKING controller!

Iwata: Miyamoto...

Miyamoto: Yes?

Iwata: I love you.

It's missing a bunch of studios, and doesn't really expand on the potential in each, merely the banal matter-of-fact easy guesses.

What 1st party studios are they missing, except for NdCube?

It was just an example, anyway. I don't see what's wrong with going for the 'easy' guesses, either, especially this early. Not enough 'Maybe Retro is doing X franchise because they hired Y' or 'EAD should do more new IPs!'?

Here is a solution: Stop giving Arkam attention! Already know he is bullshiting everyone in this thread. Put him on ignore or something. Sheesh <_<

Heads up: Doing an WiiU OT thread. If anyone would like to help with graphics and such, pm me.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Here is a solution: Stop giving Arkam attention! Already know he is bullshiting everyone in this thread. Put him on ignore or something. Sheesh <_<

Heads up: Doing an WiiU OT thread. If anyone would like to help with graphics and such, pm me.

When will this be ready by?

Cookychan

Banned
Am I the only one that disappears from this thread when tech talk goes on because I'm technologically illiterate?

Anyhoo, remember that ZoE3DS rumor/hint/semi-confirmation?

What if we get ZoE collection on 3DS, and then ZoE 3 on all platforms next gen?

*preparing money*

Antioch

Isn't that what this thread basically is?

^ Yeah it is. Don't waste your time vectorman.

Cute is stupid what.

XD

Am I the only one that disappears from this thread when tech talk goes on because I'm technologically illiterate?

No need to feel bad about it. I disappear during a lot of the software talk because I've missed out on quite a bit of gaming over the years. That's also why I focus on getting Wii U hardware info. Someone like ShockingAlberto is better suited for digging up the software info as he could give much better analysis on it than I could.

Caramello

Kind of..

This is a list for all EAD Studios only.

We can get a rough idea of when each team should release a new title and in some cases what that title is.

For Example:

EAD 1
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Nintendogs
Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart Wii
Nintendo DSi Sound
Nintendogs & Cats
Mario Kart 7

In Development:
Mario Kart Wii U

We know that EAD 1 follows a trend of Nintendogs -> Portable Mario Kart -> Home Mario Kart. We also know that the time between the DS Mario Kart and Wii Mario Kart was two and a half years which means that we should expect Mario Kart on Wii U in early/mid 2014.

EAD 2
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Star Fox Command (Co developed w/ Q Games)
Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City
Wii Music
Wii Sports Resort

In Development:
Animal Crossing 3DS
Unannounced titles

EAD 2 follow a similar pattern Potable Animal Crossing -> Wii Series titles -> Home Animal Crossing -> Wii Series titles etc

While Animal Crossing 3DS isn't actually out yet, I don't believe that the whole of EAD 2 have been working on it since mid 2009 when their last game was released. Therefore I feel that we'll see two games from them this year. We'll see Animal Crossing for 3DS these holidays along with a launch title for Wii U which will be a spiritual successor to a Wii Series title if not an outright sequel to one of them (Wii Play or Wii Sports most likely).

These are the guys most likely working on that new IP that will be built around the new controller.

EAD 3 and EAD 4 are self explanatory although I could see Pikmin 3 being developed by a different team to free up resources for New Super Mario Bros. 3DS or being handled by an outside team along side Nintendo.

EAD 3:
Zelda 3DS is due next year.
Zelda Wii U is due for the holiday season in 2014 as the director mentioned he wanted a 3 year dev cycle.

EAD 4:
Pikmin 3 and NSMB3DS are due this year.
NSMB Wii U is due for Holiday 2015 if they continue with their 3 year dev time between Mario titles.

EAD 5
Wii Fit
Wii Fit Plus
Steel Diver
Star Fox 64 3D

In Development:
Unannounced Title

EAD 5 are a mystery. I could easily see them making the Wii U version of Wii Fit but then I could also see them continuing to work with outside parties making 3DS games while Wii Fit U gets palmed off to a third party developer. We know Nintendo are working with third parties on new titles (Luigi's Mansion 2 being the latest one I can think of).

This is one of the teams to speculate about

EAD Tokyo 1
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Super Mario Galaxy
Jibun de Tsukubu Nintendo DS Guide
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Co-Dev)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Sword Anniversary (Co-Dev)

In Development:
Unannounced Title

As far as I know this is now a smaller team. They are most likely working on 3DS titles now as we know that Koizumi (head of team 2) is working on Mario Wii U based on comments he made at E3.

EAD Tokyo 2
NPC! Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Flipnote Studio
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land

In Development:
Super Mario Wii U

No speculation required. However in terms of timing? They will have been working on a new engine to run in High Definition immediately following SMG2's release. Koizumi was still figuring out where to take the next Mario around June 2011 (the engine will have been completed by then though).

That means that by this E3, they'll have been working on the actual gameplay concepts and production of the game proper for one year. We'll certainly see something at E3 but it probably won't make it to retail until holiday 2013.

What do you guys think? I'll do SPD and other first/second parties next.

shnord

Neo Member
WiiU power level doesn't matter because each WiiU is going to come with a lifetime supply of shrooms.
This is so fitting coming from Mr. Saturn.

Mother 4 on Wii U confirmed.

This has been mentioned a few times.
I really think they should. Or if not that, force you to set up an online account the first time you start up the system.
I thought I've been following all the speculation pretty closely but clearly I need to pay more attention!

However! I do remember you touching on cross-platform Monster Hunter 4 a few pages back, and I just feel the need to mention that I would completely ruin my pants if I could get the game on Wii U and still play with my brother who owns a 3DS. If I could convince him to get into it, that is.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If Arkam wants to PM me proof/credentials he or she is more than welcome to.

I dunno. I have no idea what any of it means but tech discussion feels "new" to me so it's always interesting to read. Maybe because it's educated guessing based on things we know about the hardware, even if they're just rumors, as opposed to blind shots in the dark about Zelda Mario Metroid Teamup FPS Online!

snesfreak

Banned
If Arkam wants to PM me proof/credentials he or she is more than welcome to.
GetYoPopcornReady.gif

Cookychan

Banned
I dunno. I have no idea what any of it means but tech discussion feels "new" to me so it's always interesting to read. Maybe because it's educated guessing based on things we know about the hardware, even if they're just rumors, as opposed to blind shots in the dark about Zelda Mario Metroid Teamup FPS Online!

Easy tiger, this isn't Capcom.

AzaK

Making it harder and harder to not just say you're trolling right out, man...

Snide remarks against Nintendo on a WiiU speculation thread. Seriously this isn't productive at all...

Well in his defence I don't see why anyone who might be a dev has to be all la-de-da and polite if they find a platform holder to be a pain in the arse. Especially if he is legit (I'm not saying he is BTW) and being treated like he's a troll.

Obviously Nintendo gave his company a joke dev kit.

Arkam, is the kit purple....and square? :)

I'm will to give someone the benefit of the doubt till they do enough to show otherwise. But that's just me.
Likewise. So out of all this we at best have someone who is a developer with an old kit saying it's about current gen level. Doesn't really phase me........yet.

squid

Man, looking through that NWR article on Nintendo's teams has reminded me of how many absolutely awesome teams they have.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's begun.
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc45/snesfreak/GetYoPopcornReady.gif

I would take great pleasure in shattering hopes and dreams by confirming devkits are indeed weaker than the Xbox 360.

Not pressuring you Arkam, by the way. You don't need to PM me at all. Just saying that in cases where people wish to be vouched for by moderators or what have you we are sure to adhere to confidentiality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom