• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
"In terms of the Wii U, we're looking at it. All of the details about the NFC technology haven't been released to the public yet, and it's really interesting." - Toys for Bob CEO and development lead Paul Reiche III

How comes Ubisoft hasn't leaked anything yet if devs knows?

I want news, damn it!

Azure J

So I fell out of the posting loop in this thread, did something go down why we have so many people chiming on on a hypothetical stating that Wii U is in some respects "weaker" than a 360? (Is such a thing even possible? *Aliensdude.jpg*)

So I fell out of the posting loop in this thread, did something go down why we have so many people chiming on on a hypothetical stating that Wii U is in some respects "weaker" than a 360? (Is such a thing even possible? *Aliensdude.jpg*)

Some guy called Arkam came and said the dev kits were going to disappoint people, then didn't back up his statement. GAF remains dubious.

Seems like utter shit if you ask me, and most people in this thread.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It was video footage of real life, unfortunately.
I thought the whole thing was a bit choppy actually, look at 1:50-1:51 in this video from IGN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnVz7p765IM

It does however open up many interesting gameplay opportunities. Even rail shooters could be revitalized with this. Though the best example I can think of is with Fatal Frame/Project Zero where you control a camera in interesting ways, not previously possible without the Wii U remote.

stilgar

The Arkam Prophecy has been revealed to us.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Some guy called Arkam came and said the dev kits were going to disappoint people, then didn't back up his statement. GAF remains dubious.

EatChildren demanded proof of his claims (at least that he is someone that COULD have seen the devkits up close), didn't heard about Arkam since.

turns out there was a version of a devkit that was somehow worse than the 360. I still don't get it. Don't think anyone gets it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I want news, damn it!

I have a feeling this is what the developer was talking about the other day when saying he couldn't talk about all the possibilities of the Wii U--who was it? I can't remember.

Rösti;34921913 said:
I agree that Nintendo doesn't have many series that would benefit greatly by having a very realistic tone when it's come to graphics, but those that could use it most efficiently are (in my opinion):

• Eternal Darkness (heavy on atmosphere and ambience)
  • F-Zero (think Project CARS graphics)
  • Geist (haven't got any suggestions here, but feels like a "heavy on the graphics" title)
  • Pikmin (see below)
Pikmin with a lush, photorealistic forest would be a day one purchase for me.

Hmm, some Nintendo games that could do with a more photorealistic graphic may be:

* Pikmin
* Chibi Robo
* Eternal darkness

As for other games such as Wave Race, 1080°, F-Zero, Metroid, Donkey Kong and so on, I would like better physics and better visual effects, especially more photorealistic environments and textures, but I would like they kept some cartoonish touch in the graphic style.

Azure J

I see. Well, I won't throw out what he said just yet. Any number of things could be right from where he's coming from (his team has old kits, aspects of the system won't work properly - see wsippel's comments on the 3.5GHz tri core/600MHz HD4830 kit locking up due to GPU heat malfunctions, or [as much as I'd hope not] Nintendo having a dunderhead moment).

There's more that points to this system being competitive than there is to suggest that there's a gaping flaw to it. At the same time though, any insight on the system is still speculation until proven otherwise with sourced facts and as such I won't rule anything out until release.

EatChildren demanded proof of his claims (at least that he is someone that COULD have seen the devkits up close), didn't heard about Arkam since.

Mhm, exactly.
Don't lie to GAF - it won't work :p

(also, huge evidence stacked against the claim, and the one about it being weaker than PSBOX3360)

Azure J

Hey man listen, my mind is all "fuck that noise". It really does go against everything ever said about the system. I know for a fact however, that regarding consoles, nothing should ever be considered concrete until it exists in front of you.

Shion

Well, I don't consider myself a graphic whore, but I want my favorite series to be up-to-date in terms of graphics.

Terrell

Hmm, some Nintendo games that could do with a more photorealistic graphic may be:

* Pikmin
* Chibi Robo
* Eternal darkness

Chibi Robo just needs photo-real textures, cuz NOTHING else about that game was realistic, and that's OK by me.

And this is the second time that Eternal Darkness has been mentioned in the last few pages, and it makes me happy. Why people are asking Retro to make a Zelda game when this one is prime and ready for a sequel is beyond me.

Well, I don't consider myself a graphic whore, but I want my favorite series to be up-to-date in terms of graphics.

Same. The only technical aspects I really care about is the lighting and environmental geometry. I couldn't care less about photorealism considering I play on my faithful CRT.

It's fair to give him 24 hours to respond. On the other hand if he comes back without reaching out to EatChildren and starts making claims, crucify him.

Your first post on Neogaf? Way too sensible. Where's the outrageous hyperbole? Where are the expletives? Show some dignity and behave like a real Junior^^

Anyway, I absolutely agree with you. Personally as long as the IQ is cleaned up and the processing power is strong enough to render huge worlds that you can explore, and fool around with, I'm happy.

Xenoblade is a great example as it would've been one hell of an expensive game to make in full HD specification. I don't think we've reached the point of graphics being "enough", but if you take into account what the increase in budget did to a lot of studios, I'd say it should be sustainable first and foremost.

As much as people like to beat the graphics drum. It wasn't graphics or horsepower that made many gamers abandon the Wii. It was mainly the poor extended service and the lack of functionality of the Wii. The online, the stubborn reluctant position about DLC, Online, Patches and Digital Distribution have broken the Wii's backbone ultimately.

Graphics were never a deciding factor for a successfull console. In Fact I find it hilarious when console fanboys argue about graphics, when even Midlevel PCs are far outpacing them.

Hehe, thanks ^^

As for the Wii, I think what made many gamers abandon it was the games, at least that's how it was for me. IMHO it has the worst library of any stationary Nintendo console. Maybe it's just my tastes but I can name about five must have games for it whereas both the N64 and the Gamecube had many amazing exclusive titles. I sold mine after playing Twilight Princess when it came out many years ago and only bought one again for Skyward Sword/Xenoblade, in the years in between there was just nothing I really wanted to play on it, it seemed like all games were casual games. I find this ironic because now Nintendo finally gets their (much deserved considering the low sales of the N64 & NGN) big success and then there are very few great games made for it compared to their older consoles, that sold very badly in comparison.

Many people who are not really into games bought a Wii to play WiiFit, Just Dance, Mario Party, Cooking Mama etc.. Nintendo, or rather third parties, focused too much on that type of games and neglected "hardcore" games (sorry, I hate that word but can't think of anything else). It worked out at first & the Wii sold like hot cakes but it came back to bite them in the butt when "gamers" abandoned the console.
It seems like with the WiiU Nintendo is trying hard to find a middle ground, so hopefully they can make it work. If they make it just powerful enough and design the hardware to allow easy ports from the next Xbox/PS, and develop a well designed online system that would solve most of their problems I think.

AlStrong

This video shows off the floor version of the bird demo the best. Starting at around 0:39, you can clearly see the global illumination on the underside of the bird.

Most likely deferred lighting light probes (perhaps baked GI, probing the scene information in some grid fashion so it can determine how to light up a dynamic object). Here the lighting has rather crazy jumps in values as the bird moves across the scene.
You know, it could very well turn out that the Wii U has a triple core higher-clocked Broadway (which would make BC perfect)

I hope you're not being serious. :p I'm not really sure why you believe a more modern power architecture couldn't get the job done. Depending on how close to the metal Wii games were coded, a shrunk Broadway could still present problems, but the amount of engineering needed to even shrink Broadway and beef it up to multicores is kind of a waste when they can do a whole lot better without being restricted to a 6+ year old design.

Pikmin needs to look super real, environment wise. I need this to feel like it's my back garden. The Pikmin, however, would be awesome with a clay style aesthetic.

Perfect mix of worlds and art styles. It'd truly bring the game alive.

Hehe, thanks ^^

As for the Wii, I think what made many gamers abandon it was the games, at least that's how it was for me. IMHO it has the worst library of any stationary Nintendo console. Maybe it's just my tastes but I can name about five must have games for it whereas both the N64 and the Gamecube had many amazing exclusive titles. I sold mine after playing Twilight Princess when it came out many years ago and only bought one again for Skyward Sword/Xenoblade, in the years in between there was just nothing I really wanted to play on it, it seemed like all games were casual games. I find this ironic because now Nintendo finally gets their (much deserved considering the low sales of the N64 & NGN) big success and then there are very few great games made for it compared to their older consoles, that sold very badly in comparison.

You missed three pants-shittingly good Mario games, a really decent DKC platformer and a couple of Kirbies.

lednerg

This next generation of consoles is practically going to define 'diminishing returns' in terms of GPU power. Even if, for instance, 720's GPU was 'twice as powerful' as Wii U's, that would basically amount to running a game on Ultra rather than High or maybe Medium. Only the most OCD gamers out there would actually notice or care; it just wouldn't be worth the added expense to your average gamer.

All that really matters in the end is if developers can get their games running on the console. Period. There is absolutely no indication from any reputable source that says Wii U couldn't run the same games that any theoretical PS4 or 720 (or PC) could. Unlike the Wii, it will support modern shaders and have enough memory and storage space to do the games justice. The things that will end up setting the consoles apart from each other next generation will be the exclusive software, the online features. and the user interfaces.

Terrell

Hehe, thanks ^^

Many people who are not really into games bought a Wii to play WiiFit, Just Dance, Mario Party, Cooking Mama etc.. Nintendo, or rather third parties, focused too much on that type of games and neglected "hardcore" games (sorry, I hate that word but can't think of anything else). It worked out at first & the Wii sold like hot cakes but it came back to bite them in the butt when "gamers" abandoned the console.
It seems like with the WiiU Nintendo is trying hard to find a middle ground, so hopefully they can make it work. If they make it just powerful enough and design the hardware to allow easy ports from the next Xbox/PS, and develop a well designed online system that would solve most of their problems I think.

It's funny you mention that... Wii's focus on casual games is actually what kept me from becoming a "lapsed" gamer. Not every game needs to be a time-sink for me, and those titles gave me an awesome amount of middle ground. After getting those, I went back to hardcore titles like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, No More Heroes, Arc Rise Fantasia (which is a good RPG if you completely ignore the voice acting), Sin & Punishment, etc. I will be crucified for this, but I JUST got the Galaxy games and look forward to playing them. And then will tackle the Zeldas immediately afterwards.

Snakeyes

All that really matters in the end is if developers can get their games running on the console. Period. There is absolutely no indication from any reputable source that says Wii U couldn't run the same games that any theoretical PS4 or 720 (or PC) could. Unlike the Wii, it will support modern shaders and have enough memory and storage space to do the games justice.

What about fancy stuff like tessellation and ray tracing?

Pikmin needs to look super real, environment wise. I need this to feel like it's my back garden. The Pikmin, however, would be awesome with a clay style aesthetic.

Perfect mix of worlds and art styles. It'd truly bring the game alive.

Absolutely agree. It works perfectly for the cover art:

Pikmin_2_Case.jpg

lednerg

What about fancy stuff like tessellation and ray tracing?

Even if Wii U didn't have tessellation (highly doubtful), that wouldn't preclude it from running a game that did use it on another platform. Same goes for ray tracing (which is a huge waste of resources, imo, and is better off faked). The point is, Wii U's programmable shaders is what's going to keep it from the same fate as Wii in terms of lack of multi-platform software.

Chibi Robo just needs photo-real textures, cuz NOTHING else about that game was realistic, and that's OK by me.
Yeah, I meant something mixed between photorealistic environments and textures just like Elebees or Toy story or Pikmin.

44-pikminart_cat.jpg

And this is the second time that Eternal Darkness has been mentioned in the last few pages, and it makes me happy. Why people are asking Retro to make a Zelda game when this one is prime and ready for a sequel is beyond me.

Actually I reckon Eternal darkness is a kind of game that could take advantage of more photorealistic textures - just think of the cathedral chapter - but honestly I can't see happening a proper sequel, at least not with the same characters, as that storyline seemed to have reached a definitive conclusion, not to forget I don't who couldn't handle it instead of Silycon Knights(Retro? Yes, they supposedly could handle it).

Anyway they could still do a remake in HD with some extra content, or they could make a game named Eternal darkness 2, but with other characters and a different storyline.

Or again, they still may develop another mature-oriented IP taking advantage of WiiU's HD capabilities in order to create the spiritual successor of Eternal darkness.

botty

Banned

I completely agree. If Chibi-Robo went too realistic, it would lose it's PopArt/60's vibe. I just hope any future installments get a better budget, and at least a commercial.

AzaK

You guys talk a lot of shit but when you see Nintendo go all out in the graphics department for the next Zelda you'll all need your own drool buckets and you know it.

And there aint nothin' wrong with that.
Keepin it real and I like that! I want my pants to dissolve when I see Wii U graphics in all their glory.

But would it take a system much stronger than a 360 to please most people, with Zelda? I feel like the jump from 480p to HD (or close) would be enough to wow any fan of the series. There's a law of diminishing returns, I'd argue, plotting customer "wow" factor against graphics. Being accustomed for so long to all Nintendo franchies being in SD, how much happier would they be just seeing them in HD current gen form. And how much does that happiness increase skipping this gen and going into "next gen" graphics. Does whatever that increase is, justify the increase in cost (both from a hardware perspective in spec'ing out the system, and a software perspective in building the game engine, etc).
Yeah it would take quite a bit more than a 360 to please me I think. I want my Zelda at 60fps, HD and looking gorgeous as all buggery. I understand the importance of art direction etc, but I want no jaggies. I want beautiful lighting. I want lovely textures and massive open levels with inspiring landscapes, all in the Zelda universe.

I know this has to all be kept in check by the reality of economics, but if all Zelda looked like was a 360 version of the game I'd be disappointed.

StevieP

Banned
Keepin it real and I like that! I want my pants to dissolve when I see Wii U graphics in all their glory.

Yeah it would take quite a bit more than a 360 to please me I think. I want my Zelda at 60fps, HD and looking gorgeous as all buggery. I understand the importance of art direction etc, but I want no jaggies. I want beautiful lighting. I want lovely textures and massive open levels with inspiring landscapes, all in the Zelda universe.

I know this has to all be kept in check by the reality of economics, but if all Zelda looked like was a 360 version of the game I'd be disappointed.

You're probably going to be disappointed, even if the Wii U ends up being a great deal more powerful than the 360 in CPU, GPU and/or memory amount.

Something's gotta give.

AzaK

You're probably going to be disappointed, even if the Wii U ends up being a great deal more powerful than the 360 in CPU, GPU and/or memory amount.

Something's gotta give.
I quite possibly will but I'm hopeful and I'm not one of these people expecting 8GB RAM on the latest AMD GPU tech. I was pretty damned impressed with the Zelda demo and moreso the floor show Bird demo. If they can get those at 60fps, in a real-world gaming environment with large draw distances and no jaggies, I probably will be pretty content.

And of course when I see Zelda and Metroid in HD I'm really not going to be comparing it to 360/PS3 stuff I've seen. I just want to be blown away.

shnord

Neo Member
I think 30fps is perfectly fine for a Zelda game and it would allow them to squeeze out more sexiness, so I would prefer that.

Jindujun

Neo Member

I want news, damn it!

In this case we just have to go with what little information we have on the matter.
So what he's refering to here is a Skylanders style interaction, RFID reading figures or similar, with the Wii U controller.
Toys for Bob is the ones making the Skylanders and Skylanders Giants toys so we're likely looking at either a Skylanders game for Wii U or something very close to it.
So in this particular case I'm pretty sure we'd want a leak from Activision

Hehe, thanks ^^

Really? Outside of the lack of 3rd party support, the Wii for me was actually the best Nintendo console in terms of 1st party releases. Amazing installments in the Mario, Zelda and Metroid franchises, a superb Donkey Kong, revisiting old franchises like Kirby and Sin and Punishment as well as a good assortment of new game experiences.

And even from 3rd parties, the console has gotten some amazing games.

I love playing party games with friends, and the Wii simply is the go to system for that. Neither 360 nor PS3 come close in that regard.

Unfortunately those releases were rare and spread over large release periods, leaving huge gaps in software releases that weren't filled by 3rd parties. Coupled with the consoles inabilities, both technical and infrastructure wise, the ship began to sink pretty fast (allthough falling behind the competition after 5 years of whooping their asses pretty hard is actually bound to happen)

For me the WiiU will really have to adress these fundamental service problems. I am convinced that the next generation won't be decided by graphics power, but by the best online service and who can deliver the best value for the pricepoint as well as a good roster of constant releases.

This in particular will be one area to focus on for Nintendo.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Are we 100% sure that Nintendo is using total hardware BC for Wii U? All I remember them saying is that the BC wouldn't give any graphical upgrades to the games but they could do what Sony did for a while with their 80GB units and use a mixture of hardware and software to accomplish BC.
It's not about hw vs sw BC - it's about the host architecture meeting the exact timing requirements of the emulated hw. If Wii/cube software could enjoy this little latency when accessing the 1t-sram pool in a random fashion, then the host machine darn better be able to meet that. Or else uncertainty and breakage awaits (read: many man-hours of re-QA-ing all darn games, and eventually - limited BC title lists).

ps: to all people discarding the fact the future belongs to real GI rendering - give it up, resistance is futile.

HylianTom

Banned
I just hope and pray that Nintendo doesn't fall into that "every game needs online" mindset. Online seems like a crutch in many cases, an excuse to release a game with shoddy single-player features - "but the multiplayer is great!"

There are lots of us who love and adore the single-player experience, but those whining for online online online are loudest, it seems.

Even more than just enhanced and more polished graphics, what I'm expecting from WiiU is better physics, IA and the capability to run more demanding games such as Dead rising.

When I realised that in order to port DR to Wii they had to tone it down dramatically reducing the number of zombies on the screen, well, that was the very moment when I was aware of Wii's hardware limitations.

I'm OK with nice graphics and a steady rock-solid framerate as I can get them for cheap, but what would annoy me more than a lack of AA filters or shaders - not that I don't appreciate that kind of visual stuff, eh - would be if WiiU couldn't handle even a downport from another console, that would be a huge let-down as far as I'm concerned

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Really? Outside of the lack of 3rd party support, the Wii for me was actually the best Nintendo console in terms of 1st party releases. Amazing installments in the Mario, Zelda and Metroid franchises, a superb Donkey Kong, revisiting old franchises like Kirby and Sin and Punishment as well as a good assortment of new game experiences.

Everyone always overlooks the excellent Wario Land: Shake It and Punch-out! :(

Shion

There's no need for 60fps in a Zelda game. Zelda needs the hardware for vast, detailed and immersive environments.
30fps is fine imo.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Impress Watch ran a story regarding AMD 2012 Financial Analyst Day five days ago, and in it both Wii U and Xbox 720 are mentioned: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/kaigai/20120206_510014.html

As I don't know Japanese, I resorted to Google Translate which gave me this snippet of Engrish:
The built-in system, gaming has emerged rapidly. In this Analyst Day, you mouth the word "game console" executive many times. AMD, as well as reveal that provide the GPU to the console "Wii U" next generation of Nintendo, Microsoft "Xbox-elect (in the media and the Xbox 720 has been called) saying" If you provide a GPU core also we have. Game console, also, is a major pillar for the IP business of AMD, has become a good example of the model to provide a custom IP.
It seems to be just a reassurance that AMD is creating the GPU for Wii U, but I won't hold Google Translate as a firm source. So maybe someone that knows Japanese could provide a better translation.

I searched for this story to see if it already had been posted, but no results showed up.

shnord

Neo Member
Just making sure haha. I can usually tell with the naked eye but I felt like its was around a variable of 30-45
If it's ever hard to tell, one way to verify that a Wii game isn't running at 60fps is by opening the Home menu which animates at 60fps and you'll notice the increase in fluidity. Well, not sure if the Home menu always animates at 60fps for every game, but I've definitely noticed the increase for some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom