• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going by what I think (read: want) Retro are working on, and considering the comments we've heard from people in the industry about their project, I reckon they are working on a Prime 4 - not for launch, but maybe Spring 2013.

Half Life 3 was a tease... And thinking about it now, it seems likely that a 3D Mario title would release later on the next year/holiday season 2012.

As for quantity, I think it'll be hard to match the Wii's launch line-up - though not impossible. If Nintendo are sweetening up 3rd parties like they say they are, we may get a healthy load of ports/cross platform releases on launch.

Oh, and I don't expect much support for the Wii U's e shop at launch. Nintendo may get the online infrastructure right this time around, but I doubt we'll see a lot of support from day one. Steady releases into next year is plausible, however.

I don't think it's Prime 4 but I'm betting they are making a new Metroid.
Or, at least, something that would appeal more to the kind of audience they want to grab early.
A more "adult" Battalion Wars might be neat.

I don't think it's Prime 4 but I'm betting they are making a new Metroid.
Or, at least, something that would appeal more to the kind of audience they want to grab early.
A more "adult" Battalion Wars might be neat.

True, I should stop saying "Prime 4" - because I reckon, too, it will be a departure form the traditional approach.
I'm thinking something that involves Galactic Federation Troopers as the playable characters (maybe a new protagonist?), and a more involved, FPS experience - think team based battles (you with your own GF battalion) against the Space Pirates.

I'm thinking a Metroid/Gears/Halo/Battalion Wars mix - but about 50% Metroid.

True, I should stop saying "Prime 4" - because I reckon, too, it will be a departure form the traditional approach.
I'm thinking something that involves Galactic Federation Troopers as the playable characters (maybe a new protagonist?), and a more involved, FPS experience - think team based battles (you with your own GF battalion) against the Space Pirates.

I'm thinking a Metroid/Gears/Halo/Battalion Wars mix - but about 50% Metroid.

I already told you.
It's Metroid: Space Federation

You play as Anthony Higgs fighting Space Pirates and rogue bounty hunters.

fernoca

I never played any of the games nor the Wii version, It just seems too... bite-sized for a racer. Races seem to last for a mere minute, maybe not even at times.

Am I giving it the wrong judgement?
There's that too. On Wii at least, the races are short, mostly go from point A to point B as fast as you can, even multiplayer is like that. Basically, beat your own time or finish a race in the shortest amount of time. But for a game were the whole basis is the ability to create and share content; limiting said option to just people on your friend list doesn't make sense (worse my case that none of my friends have the game..even when it currently costs under $10). :p

I already told you.
It's Metroid: Space Federation

You play as Anthony Higgs fighting Space Pirates and rogue bounty hunters.

Jim-Carrey-rindo.gif

Yeeeah, sure man... *Ahem* that's what I meant too!

Heres exactly whats gonna happen at and after E3:

3rd Party games will be shown in trailer form, 1 or 2 of them will may be demonstrated at the conference.

Those games look a tiny tad better than xbox 360 and/or ps3 games. Neogaf will be full of people posting comparison pictures with text like: "LOLZ see, Wii U is just a tad more powerful than xbox 360" even if the games run at 1080p and started development on early devkits.

Nintendo shows 1 or 2 own Wii U Games that look absolutely amazing!

Some "special guy(s)" on NeoGaf will be like "The final game cant look so good and they fooled you because the 3rd party games look only a little better than the xbox 360/ps3 version!" or desperatly try to nitpick every little detail that dosen´t look absolutely awesome and say "and thats why it would run on a xbox 360/ps3 aswell!"

oh and neogaf is going to explode.

I wont speculate on the games we will see but im absolutely sure the release date and price wont be announced. They will give us just "Q4 2012"...

Heres exactly whats gonna happen at and after E3:

3rd Party games will be shown in trailer form, 1 or 2 of them will may be demonstrated at the conference.

Those games look a tiny tad better than xbox 360 and/or ps3 games. Neogaf will be full of people posting comparison pictures with text like: "LOLZ see, Wii U is just a tad more powerful than xbox 360" even if the games run at 1080p and started development on early devkits.

Nintendo shows 1 or 2 own Wii U Games that look absolutely amazing!

Some "special guy(s)" on NeoGaf will be like "The final game cant look so good and they fooled you because the 3rd party games liik only a little better than the xbox version!" or desperatly try to nitpick every little detail that dosent look absolutely awesome and say "and thats why it would run on a xbox 360/ps3 aswell!"

oh and neogaf is going to explode.

I wont speculate on the games we will see but im absolutely sure, the release date and price wont be announced. They will give us just "Q4 2012"...
This is absurd...
If the 3rd party games look a bit better, people will say the Wii U is weaker than the 360/PS3.

^ Ace has some kind of streaming feature tied to the thread to respond almost as fast as you post. :p

The only game I really want to see pushed for a launch title for Wii U is a Mario Paint like that uses every feature of the console meticulously. You could do some stupidly awesome shit with something as full featured as that along with Wii U's interface and it would be great to show off some of the stuff the controller can do.

While we're at it, we need to see Wii Music done right. That game did too much hand holding IMO. Wii Music would have been more successful if it had Mario Paint's music composer, and I would like to see a "Wii U Music Composer" as a downloadable title.

Postman

Banned
the time frame from dev kits to launch pretty much assures straight ports this holiday.
Even more so when devs are going to put priority towards doing something with the controller.

Azure J

While we're at it, we need to see Wii Music done right. That game did too much hand holding IMO. Wii Music would have been more successful if it had Mario Paint's music composer, and I would like to see a "Wii U Music Composer" as a downloadable title.

This is precisely what I wanted from Wii Music and from this hypothetical Wii U Mario Paint like. The amount of samples and different oddities or mixes you could do would be amazing if they just loaded the disc with old Nintendo game samples and the like.

the time frame from dev kits to launch pretty much assures straight ports this holiday.
Even more so when devs are going to put priority towards doing something with the controller.

I really woudn´t expect anything else with a few exceptions maybe. The second generation software will be much more interesting than the first one...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
There's that too. On Wii at least, the races are short, mostly go from point A to point B as fast as you can, even multiplayer is like that. Basically, beat your own time or finish a race in the shortest amount of time. But for a game were the whole basis is the ability to create and share content; limiting said option to just people on your friend list doesn't make sense (worse my case that none of my friends have the game..even when it currently costs under $10). :p
It still goes for 40EUR here. That said, I would not hesitate to grab it at that price if I ever came across it in a B&M; as it is now, I have to order it online, and my Wii backlog is gargantuan. Trackmania DS, though, is one of my most played games this gen. It's quintessential arcade racing. I agree that the user-created content is an important part of the game, but even if you never got a singe custom circuit the game is still worth it.

Reading the thread about what developers want in next gen consoles, David Jaffe made a good point.

The boot up, to going into the dashboard or the XMB, to loading up the game, to seeing the logos. It's like 'dude, I just want to fucking play.' So what I loved about PSP and DS, the last generation, and I haven't opened up my Vita yet but I'm assuming it has a sleep mode... But to have a console that basically I can be playing Batman, and my kids have a nightmare and I go take care of them, and two days later I get back to Batman, and I haven't had to shut things down and I can pick right back up where I left off. That's what I want, practically. I hope that's in there.

Being able to just open up my 3DS and pick up right where I left off is one of my favorite things about it. I'd love for the Wii U to have a low power sleep mode so that I can wake it up and pick up right where I left off in any game I'm playing.

Maybe the Wii Us GPU borrowes the GCNs power save technology. Such a "sleep mode" could be possible with stuff like zero core. The GPU basically turns itself off when the display (tv) is turned off.

Nintendo is all about power saving, so it would totally fit their profile!

A few developers had dev kits before last year's E3. You're saying over a year isn't enough time to develop a game??

Roo

If we're lucky... we'll get black at or near launch
not holding my breath tho. Glossy finish must be there too

86574584.png

Maybe the Wii Us GPU borrowes the GCNs power save technology. Such a "sleep mode" could be possible with stuff like zero core. The GPU basically turns itself off when the display (tv) is turned off.

Nintendo is all about power saving, so it would totally fit their profile!

True, it does make sense. And they're always talking about how they want to eliminate the barrier that exists when you first turn on a game. It's something that seems insignificant, but I can't tell you how many times I've just opened up my 3DS to play one level in Super Mario 3D Land when I just have a second, which would be possible without sleep mode.

If their E3 this year will be at least half as good as the final Wii reveal in 2006, it would be good enough for me.
Though I'm sure they'll have good software to show, I'll probably never be completely sold on the controller. Hopefully Wiimote will still be used regularly (for the appropriate games)... :/

Strangely, online is the one area where I expect the least disappointment.

Really? I'd say that the online is almost guaranteed to be a disappointment.

I fear that they will still not have voice chat in all online games, and I seriously doubt they will have any kind of party chat.

HylianTom

Banned
I really, really love that silver one. Wow.

Of course, it'll be like 2006.. tease us with all of these colors, and then make only white available for the longest time. Hmph.

^ Man speaks sense.

Also, a black design looks so good. I'm usually a fan of the glossy white finish, but this time around I might go down the darker route...

Wait, who the fuck would by a brown system!?

they gotta cover up that ugly sync button though

YM6wm.png

I think that takes priority over glossy finish for me. As a matter of fact, if they can provide that in a brushed steel, I think I might buy 2. (the other would be the Black version)

dgjRx.png

quoting for a new page

But if they just launch with 2 colors, Silver and Black, and cover up that sync button then I think everyone would be happy. Wii did white for too long, Wii U needs different colors from the start.

I want something more akin to the Jinouga Blue PSP; bright white non-gloss with blue like the logo buttons on the console and the controller.

6yx5M.jpg

Anyone want to shop that description?

It took him 2 days to calm his kids down when they had a nightmare?

They had just watched some of daddy's YouTube videos.

Wait, who the fuck would by a brown system!?

Accountants.

They really have to hide that big red ugly sync button with the final design.

They did. With the Wii.

Cue customers attempting to return 'faulty' consoles/Wiimotes because they hadn't synced them and so it didn't work!

This is the 21st Century. Humankind can do wonders but mass market consumer entertainment is slanted for the stupid and/or lazy. Hence expository dialogue to explain the most obvious things in movies and tv.

Woo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom