• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously! IGN are such dicks!

Also:
samaritanprocessingrel3yqn.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462801

We know that the Wii U will be over 1TFLOP, right? So it should easily be able to run UE4.

Instro

So here's a thought. Perhaps this is where IGN's 5x mark for the WiiU came from? Measuring the targeted WiiU GPU TFLOPs vs that Samaritan mark, assuming they or their source was privy to this info.

Wouldn't be shocked at all to see Nintendo allowing Retro to do a new IP here.

Now that I come to think of it, I vaguely recall I read somewhere that some years back Retro wanted to work on a new IP of their own - something violent involving cars and guns - but Nintendo ditched the project altogether.

Retro may have supposedly some brilliant ideas that should deserve a chance, so maybe Nintendo may give them the let go this time around...

Now that I come to think of it, I vaguely recall I read somewhere that some years back Retro wanted to work on a new IP of their own - something violent involving cars and guns - but Nintendo ditched the project altogether.

Retro may have supposedly some brilliant ideas that should deserve a chance, so maybe Nintendo may give them the let go this time around...

That was one of their original projects that was canceled when Retro got restructured.
It did not look good.

And the Wii U will be closer to 5x the 360. Which I've been saying since day one.
:p

That was one of their original projects that was canceled when Retro got restructured.
It did not look good.

And the Wii U will be closer to 5x the 360. Which I've been saying since day one.
:p

They've come a long way though and now have the resources and wherewithall and knowledge of others to help them.

Watch Retro revisit their football game and there be crickets in "their" E3 thread.

AntMurda

Somewhere in the fanboyism of everything. People forget one simple thing, developing software is a job not a recreational hobby. Fortunate are when developers get to have some fun and elicit some passion in the chosen work, but that is different from getting to develop your dream game that will please a miniscule group of nerds.

Developing Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 would be a clear smooth path which will probably sell very well again. Meaning Nintendo hands huge bonuses to the development staff again. Developers buy nice things for themselves and their families. Happy people.

Developing some of these fanboy pipe dreams like Star Tropics: Mike Jone's Deception or 2D ultra graphics Metroid (lol) would equal much lower revenues in general. Even something like Metroid Prime 4 does not have as big commercial potential as Nintendo having Retro Studios develop DKCR2 or a non Metroid FPS. If they chose to invest in a new property, be it something potentially big for the western market like a new FPS not limited by the rules of fanbase of Metroid.

Developers want to make good games, but most importantly is making money and being successful. Which means catering to the casual masses or enthusiast masses. Not a couple of chubby dudes who wear kirby t-shirts.

Somewhere in the fanboyism of everything. People forget one simple thing, developing software is a job not a recreational hobby. Fortunate are when developers get to have some fun and elicit some passion in the chosen work, but that is different from getting to develop your dream game that will please a miniscule group of nerds.

Developing Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 would be a clear smooth path which will probably sell very well again. Meaning Nintendo hands huge bonuses to the development staff again. Developers buy nice things for themselves and their families. Happy people.

Developing some of these fanboy pipe dreams like Star Tropics: Mike Jone's Deception or 2D ultra graphics Metroid (lol) would equal much lower revenues in general. Even something like Metroid Prime 4 does not have as big commercial potential as Nintendo having Retro Studios develop DKCR2 or a non Metroid FPS. If they chose to invest in a new property, be it something potentially big for the western market like a new FPS not limited by the rules of fanbase of Metroid.

Developers want to make good games, but most importantly is making money and being successful. Which means catering to the casual masses or enthusiast masses. Not a couple of chubby dudes who wear kirby t-shirts.

Retro would choose to make something from their own minds that was risky rather than a sure-bet rebooting of a franchise that would get them tons of cash.

You have to start somewhere with a "franchise".

The problem is like you said, the genre or type of new IP you create has to appeal to many as it's a non-familiar entity and it's hard to compromise your vision to appeal to a non-niche audience.

I think Retro loves doing the Nintendo games again but they want a challenge to REALLY prove themselves but yeah, Nintendo wouldn't be so wise to let them unless it's a genre that has widespread mass appeal or elements of those games that do.

At the same time, Retro is going to get paid regardless of what they make.
And also, Nintendo doesn't always go with what will sell the most. If they did, then the first Mario for the 3DS would have been 2D and we'd have like 4 more Wii Fits.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Contradictio in terminis.

Nah. It can still be a 'current gen' looking game and look amazing, mechanically and visually. I expect Pikmin 3 to be the best playable game Nintendo has on the floor, as well as the most polished.

I think EAD Tokyo is going to show their game and it will look significantly better than current-gen stuff.

That would be pretty neat, but even stuff like that I expect to show up as early trailer-only demoes, not unlike a lot of the stuff we got for the Wii and 3DS.

I do think there will be great looking stuff from the people we most expect it from; EAD, Retro, maybe Monolith. Lots of 'big' flashy looking games. But honestly, I'll be surprised if anything shown eclipses the best of what we've seen on the 360 and PS3, at least in a notable, obvious way.

And by obvious I mean more the tech behind it, the amount of shaders, geometric detail, and texture resolution being churned out. I'm someone who still thinks Galaxy/Galaxy 2 are among the best looking games of this gen, so I'm sure I'll be impressed by the best, but I don't expect to have the tech lover in my blown away.

And also, Nintendo doesn't always go with what will sell the most. If they did, then the first Mario for the 3DS would have been 2D and we'd have like 4 more Wii Fits.

It's Mario though, it's styling just means how many more millions it will make because it's going to make millions.

How much did the first Pikmin sell????

Nintendo should let Retro have their own IP soon as sort of an experiment and if it doesn't take off, then back to making the same ol same old old franchises.

It did not look good.

Yeah, but now Retro is supposedly much more an experienced team than they were some years back, with a deep understanding of what's going to work and what's not; in this regard a recent Iwata Q&A pointed out how they came up with brilliant suggestions in the design of Mario kart 7's courses, so generally I think they may be given more creative freedom for once, provided they had some valid ideas to develop, in fact I often heard that Nintendo needs more Western-oriented games and Retro may be the perfect team to do the job and establish some new successful IPs.

That would be pretty neat, but even stuff like that I expect to show up as early trailer-only demoes, not unlike a lot of the stuff we got for the Wii.

I think you're misremembering E3 2006, when Wii games were first shown off. After the controller tech demoes, much like we've had for the Wii U, Nintendo came out showing Mario and Metroid in playable form, along with new IPs. Nintendo's big franchises were present and playable for the Wii launch, despite Mario launching a year after the Wii itself.

Considering how much the Wii U buildup has matched the Wii one thus far, whether we'll see them at launch (lol) or not, I really wouldn't bet against Mario or Zelda being present.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think you're misremembering E3 2006, when Wii games were first shown off. After the controller tech demoes, much like we've had for the Wii U, Nintendo came out showing Mario and Metroid in playable form, along with new IPs. Nintendo's big franchises were present and playable for the Wii launch, despite Mario launching a year after the Wii itself.

Considering how much the Wii U buildup has matched the Wii one thus far, whether we'll see them at launch (lol) or not, I really wouldn't bet against Mario or Zelda being present.

It's possible I'm misremembering as I think I was drunk at the time. Sounds about right, so hopefully the Wii U follows up a good few playable titles and not just trailers.

Also, whoever said New Super Mario Bros. Mii as a 3DS/WiiU tie-in; I'd bank on that.

AntMurda

Everyone gets paid. But it is no secret successful development teams get bonuses at Nintendo. Big bonuses.

And 3D Mario is still internally revelant because they sell millions while usually managing to showcase the hardware ingenuity. NSMB sells dramatically more than anything, but 3D Mario still outsells most anything else. So both are relevant and can co-exist.

Everyone gets paid. But it is no secret successful development teams get bonuses at Nintendo. Big bonuses.

And 3D Mario is still internally revelant because they sell millions while usually managing to showcase the hardware ingenuity. NSMB sells dramatically more than anything, but 3D Mario still outsells most anything else. So both are relevant and can co-exist.

Right, but we also have Nintendo making games like Sin and Punishment 2 and Captain Rainbow.
Nintendo likes to just experiment and do weird stuff now and then. Not always go for what will sell big.

I really need Iwata to get on stage this E3 and say - "This time, you really will say wow... I promise" then the stage lights dim and a Wii U gameplay showreel begins!

wsippel

Banned
Nah. It can still be a 'current gen' looking game and look amazing, mechanically and visually. I expect Pikmin 3 to be the best playable game Nintendo has on the floor, as well as the most polished.
Don't think so. The tech demos all used lighting models that gave them a distinct "not current gen" look, and that's exactly what I'd expect from the actual games - well, exclusives mostly. A tad above PS360 in terms of textures and geometry, and visibly ahead in terms of lighting.

Seriously! IGN are such dicks!

Also:
http://www.abload.de/img/samaritanprocessingrel3yqn.png[IMG]
[url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462801[/url]

We know that the Wii U will be over 1TFLOP, right? So it should easily be able to run UE4.[/QUOTE]

It should be able to run UE4 anyway. Let's keep in mind that the requirements to run the Samaritan demo and UE4 aren't necessarily the same thing.

Right, but we also have Nintendo making games like Sin and Punishment 2 and Captain Rainbow.
Nintendo likes to just experiment and do weird stuff now and then. Not always go for what will sell big.

Making games like that is covering all the bases and great for business purposes in different ways.

The hardcore gamer might not be Nintendo's first-goal target audience but they realize their importance so they can afford to release sales "stinkers" because it helps in the longrun to keep fans of other games on board or at least make them stay at least curious about the polarizing company.

Making games like that is covering all the bases and great for business purposes in different ways.

The hardcore gamer might not be Nintendo's first-goal target audience but they realize their importance so they can afford to release sales "stinkers" because it helps in the longrun to keep fans of other games on board or at least make them stay at least curious about the polarizing company.

Right, which is why Retro's game for the Wii U likely is something more for the "hardcore" than something that they can make down the line and people still buy it in droves.

AntMurda

Correct. But look at it this way. Treasure and Skip have a track record of making weird niche games. If you are a Nintendo producer and decide to green light a project working with them, you are doing so with that in mind. You are making a lower budget game aimed at a small audience.

Retro Studios is one of their big western development arms. What do you think Kensuke Tanabe should do as a logical decision. Make Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 or a new Western based FPS? Games that make sense from a business and a development stand point?

Or do you make 2.5D Metroid? Star Tropics: Mike Jones Deception Revenge? Weird old eccentric Nintendo IP? Games that mathematically will yield smaller potential revenues?

Correct. But look at it this way. Treasure and Skip have a track record of making weird niche games. If you are a Nintendo producer and decide to green light a project working with them, you are doing so with that in mind. You are making a lower budget game aimed at a small audience.

Retro Studios is one of their big western development arms. What do you think Kensuke Tanabe should do as a logical decision. Make Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 or a new Western based FPS? Games that make sense from a business and a development stand point?

Or do you make 2.5D Metroid? Star Tropics: Mike Jones Deception Revenge? Weird old eccentric Nintendo IP? Games that mathematically will yield smaller potential revenues?

Well, the thing with something like a Star Tropics is that it could be a good Western IP that draws in the adventure crowd like Uncharted does on the PS3, while not overpowering third party games.

Right, which is why Retro's game for the Wii U likely is something more for the "hardcore" than something that they can make down the line and people still buy it in droves.

I hate to use the word "edgy" or "mature" but after Donkey Kong Country Returns, I think Retro is going to want to do something less whimsical or charming.

Memorable all the same but something maybe more cerebral or imposing.

That's why when someone mentioned Eternal Darkness 2, for me it seems like they could really take that type of game and craft something special as the template was interesting.

I highly doubt it will be that brand but something along those lines or genre wouldn't surprise me.

Nintendo needs a good hardcore racing game on the system but I hope THAT'S not what Retro is up to.

botty

Banned

Skip's retail games are never supported by good marketing, and some haven't even been localized to reach a wider audience. It's a shame, really.

DrWong

I don't remember this being reported on GAF. Sorry if I'm wrong.

From Nintendo US website, when typing Retro in the jobs search engine we have more than one announce related to the studio. All posted in January & February.

RETRO PART-TIME CONTRACT - Bilingual Communications Assistant (120000000Z)
TX-Austin
Job Posting:Feb 10, 2012
Apply|Add to My Job Cart

RETRO CONTRACT - Environmental Artist (1200000011)
TX-Austin
Apply|Add to My Job Cart

RETRO - CONTRACT AI Engineer (1200000012)
TX-Austin
Apply|Add to My Job Cart

RETRO STUDIOS CONTRACT - FX Artist (120000000O)
TX-Austin
Job Posting:Jan 25, 2012
Apply|Add to My Job Cart

Retro Studios CONTRACT Game Designer (Level 1 or 2) (110000001I)
TX-Austin
Job Posting:Jan 6, 2012
Apply|Add to My Job Cart

To go into detail:

Environmental artist >
Description of Duties

Modeling high quality 3D geometry for game environments
Creating high quality hand painted 2D texture maps
Using advanced material and shader setups
Being versatile to different styles
Collaborating closely with team members and other departments
Complete assignments that require independent judgment and creative input while staying true to overall art direction and theme as defined by Art Director
Taking daily direction from the Art Director and Environment Art Lead

Summary of Requirements

Working knowledge of modeling and texturing software: Maya, PhotoShop, Painter
Environment artist with 1-3 years in the games industry
Environment artist credit on at least one shipped title
Good communicator, self-motivated, driven to create top quality visuals
Portfolio (website link) of recent high-quality, divers environment art work
Passionate about video games

Preferred
Working knowledge of high detailed modeling software: Mudbox, Zbrush
Undergraduate degree in art related subject or completion of an intensive art training program or equivalent

AI Engineer >
Description of Duties

Designs, develops, writes, tests and implements code. Writes clear, maintainable, portable code. Writes documentation for other programmers' use. Anticipates, identifies and articulates problem areas and develops preventative solutions.

*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.

Summary of Requirements

Knowledge/Experience: Prior experience AI writing code for video games preferred. 1-5 year's experience preferred. Effective organization, analytical and problem solving skills; understanding of 3D graphics techniques and algorithms and their applications in computer simulation and video game software; background in object-oriented design and software engineering methodologies; industrial experience in programming languages, such as C#. Strong math and physics skills required.

Education: Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field required, or specific experience video game programming.

Decision Making: Makes decisions regarding the system architectural design, the data structure and algorithm development, and implementation platform selection.

Human Relations: Effective written, verbal, interpersonal and communication skills to identify and provide technical solutions.

Work Environment: Fast-paced environment with fluctuating production requirements; may be necessary to change specific duties, projects, schedule or direction on short notice; overtime, weekend and holiday work may be required.

FX Artist >
Description of Duties

• Creating, designing and implementing real-time particle effects which use both static and animating 2D/3D elements.
• Placing and scripting FX throughout levels and cinematics.
• Creating ambient, environmental and weather effects.
• Creating character gameplay FX.
• Taking FX ownership on various environments, mechanics, and sequences.
• Optimize assets to run at desirable frame-rates and fit within memory limitations
• Create clean and organized assets, file structures and storage
• Creating unique textures for FX by hand.

Summary of Requirements

• Working knowledge of the effects production-pipeline, including understanding of memory, poly, and texture limitations as they relate to the effects and render engines
• FX artist with 1-3 years in the games industry.
• FX artist credit on at least one shipped title.
• Scripting experience.
• Good communicator, self-motivated, driven to create top quality visuals.
• Enthusiastic technical problem solver.
• Portfolio of recent FX work displaying a diverse set of high quality work, with a focus on stylized FX.
• Passionate about video games

Preferred:

• Broad understanding of industry standard software.
• Background in modeling & traditional art.
• Next-gen shader technical expertise.
• Traditional animation experience.

Game designer >
Description of Duties
An individual contributor who designs, builds the basic geometry layout for gameplay areas and scripts in-game levels. Provides creative ideas for game play functionality, mechanics, gimmicks, level progression, balance, and AI considerations.
Works with game designers, engineers, and artists to create in- game level assets. Includes using proprietary tools to construct scripting for any assigned level.
Reports to, and works closely with the lead designer and constantly communicates with other team members across all disciplines.
Creates documentation, concepts and prototypes for specific game levels/rooms, and systems.
Collaborates with other team members in defining the creative vision and technical specifications for assigned software games.

Summary of Requirements
1-3 years experience, including at least one full product cycle as a designer in the industry, is preferred.
Familiarity with a majority of the successful game products and platforms over the last ten years; excellent organizational skills; strong experience with PCs and standard office equipment; ability to learn and use various software applications; solid understanding of the software engineering process required.
Ability to work in a team environment and willingness to learn are absolute necessities.

Education
Undergraduate degree in Video Game Design, Computer Science, Marketing, Entertainment or a form of technical training preferred

So, GAF... Retro trying to become 10x more powerful?

I don't remember this being reported on GAF. Sorry if I'm wrong.

From Nintendo US website, when typing Rare in the jobs search engine we have more than one announce related to the studio. All posted in January & February.

To go into detail:

Environmental artist >

AI Engineer >

FX Artist >

Game designer >

So, GAF... Rare trying to become 10x more powerful?
I think you mean Retro...not Rare.

IIRC they had five proposals which Nintendo rejected. One was cars with guns [as you say], another was an RPG, another was a sport game I believe and I can't remember the others right now. However, they were all pretty uninspired and 'me too' game concepts for games that had been done a million times before. I have always thought that they were rightly rejected.

However, as you say, the Retro of today is not the Retro of then. I suspect that 'we are developing what everyone wants us to do' is a new IP. I would not be surprised if the Wii U bird tech demo was using assets from an adventure game in development and that Retro are developing that with Nintendo's oversight and possibly in conjunction with Epic. Hopefully we only have a few more months before we find out.

ReyVGM

However, as you say, the Retro of today is not the Retro of then. I suspect that 'we are developing what everyone wants us to do' is a new IP. I would not be surprised if the Wii U bird tech demo was using assets from an adventure game in development and that Retro are developing that with Nintendo's oversight and possibly in conjunction with Epic. Hopefully we only have a few more months before we find out.

Nah, it's the same thing with that Rebirth Gamecube demo. It's just a tech demo.

As much as I loved Eternal Darkness, I don't know if it needs a sequel or if one even makes sense. And I'd much rather Retro do something totally new (with Android Jones back), or take on another IP. After all, Silicon Knights need something to bounce back on. :p

If I were a betting man, I'd say UE4 probably does not run on the Wii U.

But I'm also guessing downgrading games from UE4 to UE3 is so braindead easy that Epic will probably put in a button that does it.

Remember those 90s RPGs where you had to manually draw symbols to cast spells ? I really hope we get something like that. I thought we would see something like that with the Wii but it never happened, maybe this time.

Not really speculation, more wishful thinking.

So like SSX Blur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom