• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I loved Eternal Darkness, I don't know if it needs a sequel or if one even makes sense. And I'd much rather Retro do something totally new (with Android Jones back), or take on another IP. After all, Silicon Knights need something to bounce back on. :p

Isn't Silicon Knights "supposedly" making a new one?

I'm personally more interested in performance improvements over visual enhancements. Super fast loading and seamless screen'menu/OS transitions. Something super snappy, fast, and consistent across the entire OS and interface would be great. As well as incorporating that into most games. For as far as we've come since the SNES/N64 eras visually, we've taken so many steps back in terms of active user experiences.

Hopefully, if it does happen. Although like I said not that there's much reason for a #2, but so goes the games industry.

Instro

If I were a betting man, I'd say UE4 probably does not run on the Wii U.

But I'm also guessing downgrading games from UE4 to UE3 is so braindead easy that Epic will probably put in a button that does it.

If its a scalable engine I doubt they would need to use UE3, presumably it should be using mostly the same APIs and such. WiiU should be using modern enough hardware, even if for some reason it didn't meet the supposed power requirement for Samaritan at 720p 30fps, they would just need to scale down some effects and so on. That would be my thought anyway, I mean its pretty likely that they will port UE4 to Vita and Ios devices as well.

Hell UE3 would probably be on the 3DS if the gpu supported shader model 2.0

Ithil

Correct. But look at it this way. Treasure and Skip have a track record of making weird niche games. If you are a Nintendo producer and decide to green light a project working with them, you are doing so with that in mind. You are making a lower budget game aimed at a small audience.

Retro Studios is one of their big western development arms. What do you think Kensuke Tanabe should do as a logical decision. Make Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 or a new Western based FPS? Games that make sense from a business and a development stand point?

Or do you make 2.5D Metroid? Star Tropics: Mike Jones Deception Revenge? Weird old eccentric Nintendo IP? Games that mathematically will yield smaller potential revenues?

Something like Star Tropics being revived is hardly going to be aimed solely at the folks that remember it. It would practically be treated as a new IP, at this stage.

Combine

Banned
No one's been talking (well, nothing good anyway) about Silicon Knights after Too Human and especially after that X-Men game they released. They're pretty much forgotten and no one is thinking they'll come back with anything good.

I mean, are they STILL in litigation with Epic? That's been going on for like, 5 years now. It's crazy.

Instro

Well according to them the company is "refocusing and returning to its roots, working on one of its most requested titles for the next generation." They are working with an unnamed publisher.

Obviously Eternal Darkness fits that very well, but who knows.

Ithil

I don't remember this being reported on GAF. Sorry if I'm wrong.

From Nintendo US website, when typing Retro in the jobs search engine we have more than one announce related to the studio. All posted in January & February.

To go into detail:

Environmental artist >

AI Engineer >

FX Artist >

Game designer >

So, GAF... Retro trying to become 10x more powerful?
I like how Retro literally has a requirement for their artists to have a "passion for video games". I wonder how they test that.

I like how Retro literally has a requirement for their artists to have a "passion for video games". I wonder how they test that.

How else? They hook a Vitality Sensor up to your gooch and force you to speedrun Prime 2, Battletoads, and recite the ending credits of Yoshi's Island without losing your "passion". How that passion is measured is known but not disclosed, and only Miyamoto and old Yamauchi know the details. You don't really want to know the "old fashioned way", not GAF appropriate.

watershed

Banned
Apparently, Nintendo have bought Actimagine and their mobiclip video codec. Seems to have happened during October of last year, so no idea if it's known or not. Good chance of it being the codec used in the Wii U though.

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/02/11/54502.html

http://www.mobiclip.com/

They sound perfect for Nintendo:

We are a team of highly focused engineers who strive to push the limits of software. Leveraging on the synergy of our diverse skills, we are able to create disruptive technologies from low-level hardware to high-end software stacks.

Penguin

Apparently, Nintendo have bought Actimagine and their mobiclip video codec. Seems to have happened during October of last year, so no idea if it's known or not. Good chance of it being the codec used in the Wii U though.

I wonder.. if this has anything to do.. with like streaming live TV on the controller itself.

Like having family members be able to watch two diff shows at the same time.

andthebeatgoeson

Tonight, my hype kicked in at an 11 when I realized my one console future could be realized. Not in to multiplayer but HD major 3rd party games would be right up my alley. I had a Xbox Live sub for awhile but used it 5 days out of a year. All I need is RE, Zelda, Mario and the occasional break out 3rd party game. Last gen: GTA. This gen: Batman. Next gen: Capcom's Castlevania themed picture maker and colorer.

I wonder.. if this has anything to do.. with like streaming live TV on the controller itself.

Like having family members be able to watch two diff shows at the same time.

I like the idea. But I would hope it would be more flexible than that, like simultaneous INET, TV, video chat, apps, and even old VC games. It would be a very practical and marketable advantage of being able to have plurality of experience on one device, at the same time. But this is where hardware resources comes into play.

Because you know as well as I do whatever Nintendo does drop the ball on concerning this stuff (for hardware, software, etc reasons) MS and Sony will offer. So I hope Nintendo really gets it right off the bat on this multimedia convergence and simultaneous stuff. Could be a big deal if infused properly in the right IP's too.

There can be no punishment when you're listening to the Forest Maze.

Nintendo already released the most ambiently yet subtle disturbing track of the generation. So maybe the "passion test" is more rigorous now, you get locked in a room for 72 hours, eat Ramen and sunflower seeds, play with a Kazoo, drink sugar water, play Odama, and have this song blaring at full volume the entire time!

Retro: We are making DKCR 2

Developer: Nooooooo

Retro: You obviously lack passion and by the way we're not making DKCR 2, we are actually making Yoshi Island. You last your chance.

Developer: Do'h

Hiltz

Nintendo did re-file the trademark for Eternal Darkness back in 2010. Of course, it doesn't necessarily mean that a sequel is game is coming. Although, Nintendo also did the same for Luigi's Mansion and as we all know, a sequel was announced more than a year later at E3.

About

Mobiclip is now a subsidiary of Nintendo. Mobiclip is a Research and Development center specialized in the field of highly optimized software technologies. We are commited to provide the gaming industry with the latest innovations in middleware.

Jobs

We are currently seeking a console software engineer. If you think your profile could match Mobiclip's expectations, please send an email to jobs@mobiclip.com.

----------------------

I wonder what they're cooking.

I was thinking yesterday, I wonder what percentage of PS360 owners only own those hardwares because the Wii doesn't get the multiplats? That's the only reason I own mine, but I have no idea if I'm unique or part of some defined demographic.

Tookay

Nintendo did re-file the trademark for Eternal Darkness back in 2010. Of course, it doesn't necessarily mean that a sequel is game is coming. Although, Nintendo also did the same for Luigi's Mansion and as we all know, a sequel was announced more than a year later at E3.

Interesting.

Of course, the Silicon Knights game that we all want could just be Twin Snakes 2, an upgrade to MGS2 featuring more ridiculous wire-fu cutscenes and game mechanics from MGS3 like having to eat and heal yourself all the time on the Big Shell. It'd be glorious.

Nintendo already released the most ambiently yet subtle disturbing track of the generation. So maybe the "passion test" is more rigorous now, you get locked in a room for 72 hours, eat Ramen and sunflower seeds, play with a Kazoo, drink sugar water, play Odama, and have this song blaring at full volume the entire time!

Okay, now that is torture.

Seriously! IGN are such dicks!

Also:
samaritanprocessingrel3yqn.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462801

We know that the Wii U will be over 1TFLOP, right? So it should easily be able to run UE4.

Depends on what easily means and what UE4 is equivalent to. If UE4 = Samaritan then no it's not going to run it easily at all. We're probably looking at "PS360 sub-HD" at 30FPS to try and run Samaritan/UE4. Or reduced effects to maintain 720p/30.

antonz

Depends on what easily means and what UE4 is equivalent to. If UE4 = Samaritan then no it's not going to run it easily at all. We're probably looking at "PS360 sub-HD" at 30FPS to try and run Samaritan/UE4. Or reduced effects to maintain 720p/30.

The GPU according to the AMD guy should be pretty much the baseline for Samaritan. I could see Nintendo saying thats good enough for them.

Instro

I was thinking yesterday, I wonder what percentage of PS360 owners only own those hardwares because the Wii doesn't get the multiplats? That's the only reason I own mine, but I have no idea if I'm unique or part of some defined demographic.

Well that was a large reason in my purchase of a PS3, I also really wanted to play Demon's Souls and couple other exclusives.

I don't see it that way based on what we were discussing in the Epic thread.

I don't want to make an even larger ass of myself in the Samaritan thread so I'll ask here: is Samaritan level good enough to do Toy Story graphics in game form, or are we still not there yet?

EDIT: gah, why do I keep getting first post on a page with my ridiculousness? arrr

Cookychan

Banned
Seeing the Samaritan demo video, I swear some of the effects with the rain looked strikingly similar (or it's just my shoddy eyesight) to the falcon part of the Wii U garden demo.

Again, it's probably my shitty eyesight.

I don't want to make an even larger ass of myself in the Samaritan thread so I'll ask here: is Samaritan level good enough to do Toy Story graphics in game form, or are we still not there yet?

EDIT: gah, why do I keep getting first post on a page with my ridiculousness? arrr

On what terms? If we're just talking about more or less visual fidelity on a pure surface level, probably. If we're talking technically, image quality-wise per frame, in-game performance at 30-60fps @ 720p/1080p...not even close. Real time is a different beast than CG, we won't be there on a single CPU/single GPU for probably another five generations. On a pure frame per frame image quality and fidelity level.

Instro

Seeing the Samaritan demo video, I swear some of the effects with the rain looked strikingly similar (or it's just my shoddy eyesight) to the falcon part of the Wii U garden demo.

Again, it's probably my shitty eyesight.

Well the bird demo did show off some SSS iirc.

Don't feel bad. You're in the middle as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Honestly though it's not worth the comparison. Toy Story has lighting we won't be seeing in games for awhile in real-time.

Wait.. I thought... he was saying that Nintendo now owns them.. so they don't support anyone anymore? Well aside from Nintendo.

From the Japanese website: http://www.mobiclip.co.jp/news/index.html

Yeah, they're dropping development on all the other platforms (mostly mobile) to focus on purely Nintendo hardware.

From their job listing:

Position
Software engineer on Nintendo's new generation consoles.
Environment
Mobiclip is the new Research and Development subsidiary of Nintendo. Due to its unique position, it develops world-scale technologies. In this high added value context, you will contribute to the development of many high end technologies which can be deployed on hundreds of millions of devices.
Among and with the help of your peers, you will overcome the many challenges proposed to you and potentially impact hundreds of millions of consumers.
Come and discover a small focused team of highly skilled professionals and an environment that is constantly at the top of technology of video games, in a friendly atmosphere at the center of Paris.
Innovative and passionate, you have strong technical skills you can translate in operational problem solving, from architectural engineering to optimizations.
From your own initiative, you always explore and test new fields in software and hardware. You have already worked on highly technical matters without difficulty, and have foreseen and put in place the maintenance of your solutions.
Required skills
• Complete knowledge of C++ and at least one graphic language (OpenGL, DirectX, PS3, etc.).
• Mathematical skills.
• Operational in written and spoken English.
• Open minded about modern software development in the video game industry.
• Adaptive to other software cultures.
Bonus skills
• Embedded (e.g. console) software development.
• Japanese culture knowledge.
You can quickly adapt yourself to new situations and are eager to propose solutions to potential problems.
Benefits
• RTT (10 days)
• Health plan
• Food compensation (Tickets restaurant)

You can count me as part of the. I have a 360, but not because of any exclusives it has. I only have it for the third party multiplats that didn't come to Wii.

I always thought it would be benefical to developers if Nintendo staffed a group of engineers whose sole purpose was to assist with popular middleware solutions and Wii U. If there was any shred of truth to Metroid Prime having unreal 2 at it's core, how helpful would their know how would have been to a port of the original Bioshock (UE "2.5") on Wii? Having a dozen or so people that specify in optimizing Unreal, Cry Engine, Frostbite, etc seems like it would be helpful to slightly offset the disparity between WiiU and the competiton. Keep in mind Im only referring to perferred middleware toolsets. Even for the 3DS, I'd imagine that High Voltage would fair far more better developing/optimizing/down scaling popular middleware for the handheld than trying to strike gold with their original IPs.

shnord

Neo Member
Certainly sub-sub-HD like, say... 854x480...................?

854 x 480 x 30 fps x 40,000 operations per pixel = ~0.5 TFLOPS = Samaritan demo on Wii U controller confirmed

I would actually be perfectly okay with that. I'm hoping that a decent amount of games have a controller-only option anyway.

Certainly sub-sub-HD like, say... 854x480...................?

854 x 480 x 30 fps x 40,000 operations per pixel = ~0.5 TFLOPS = Samaritan demo on Wii U controller confirmed

I would actually be perfectly okay with that. I'm hoping that a decent amount of games have a controller-only option anyway.

That would be a good way to hide the differences. After all I've seen enough posts thinking Vita is some hardware marvel to know people wouldn't be able to truly notice if done that way.

But I think I'd be fine with what it would take to get it playable at 720p/30. I think it would still look pretty good.

That would be a good way to hide the differences. After all I've seen enough posts thinking Vita is some hardware marvel to know people wouldn't be able to truly notice if done that way.

But I think I'd be fine with what it would take to get it playable at 720p/30. I think it would still look pretty good.

This is a really great page to look at on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units#Radeon_HD_6xxxM_Series

I see some mobile graphics chips that use 50W TDP, are on 40nm process, and provide 1.1TFLOPS. Very very interesting.

I wonder if one of them could be modified to provide a high bandwidth bus back to some sort of PowerPC chip and have the ability to assign blocks of attached GDDR5 to the CPU.

I wonder I wonder I wonder.

That would make for a very interesting E3.

This is a really great page to look at on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units#Radeon_HD_6xxxM_Series

I see some mobile graphics chips that use 50W TDP, are on 40nm process, and provide 1.1TFLOPS. Very very interesting.

I wonder if one of them could be modified to provide a high bandwidth bus back to some sort of PowerPC chip and have the ability to assign blocks of attached GDDR5 to the CPU.

I wonder I wonder I wonder.

That would make for a very interesting E3.

I've visited that page so much, all I have to do is type C in my address bar for it to come up. :p

But if you want to get the context behind my posts dealing with that, then start here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35057552#post35057552

shnord

Neo Member
Here's a question: Why the hell hasn't Electricpig taken down their incorrect infographic comparing the size of the Wii U controller to the "PSP" Vita and the 360/PS3 controllers? (They based the width of the controller on the diagonal of the screen instead of calculating the screen's width first.) I tried searching to see if someone had posted an accurate comparison here, but I couldn't find one. It's very possible my searching ability just sucks, but I went ahead and whipped up a simple comparison anyway. Threw in the iPad 2 for good measure. I also made one comparing the controller to the 3DS. I didn't add the 3DS to the other comparison because the image didn't flow as well with it, if that makes sense............

...Don't judge me.

Oh yeah, definitely. To be more clear, I'd probably be fine with Wii U even at around 360-level. Anything higher is just bonus. If at least some games with a controller-only option take advantage of the lower resolution to increase effects even more on top of that... Well, that's like uberbonus to me.

Terrell

No such a great fail, though... I'm pretty sure the codename was Ultra 64 quite early, even if it was initially project Reality (which must refer to the tests they've done with SGI units). GC parts are labeled DOL for Dolphin, DS parts NTR for Nitro, Wii parts REV for Revolution. N64 ones are labeled NUS.

Actually, Project Reality IS the codename, Ultra 64 was to be the actual console name but couldn't call it that due to a trademark/copyright issue.
Also, part codes are issued by Nintendo when development hardware or overall hardware design is being finalized. It's also important to remember that Nintendo named this console the Ultra 64 TWO YEARS before it actually saw release.

- Nintendo shows a bunch of ho-hum looking launch games.

So they've been spending their time not making Wii games to sit on their hands and half-ass their effort? Pessimism is rooted too strongly in you to the point where it defies logic.

Really? I'd say that the online is almost guaranteed to be a disappointment.

I fear that they will still not have voice chat in all online games, and I seriously doubt they will have any kind of party chat.

Microphone in the controller, Ghost Recon Online already supporting it.... yeah, no, sorry.

As much as I loved Eternal Darkness, I don't know if it needs a sequel or if one even makes sense. And I'd much rather Retro do something totally new (with Android Jones back), or take on another IP. After all, Silicon Knights need something to bounce back on. :p

You do remember that
Mantarok, the ancient god of chaos, is still alive,
right? There is room for a sequel.

How about a console wide achievement system that could be silenced for a better word. The game still rewards you with achievements, but if you turn them off, they happen silently, and you don't ever see your achievements unless you really look for them.

I guess that Nintendo is calling them Accomplishments instead though.

I could see Accomplishments being cool, depending on an implementation. Like, for some accomplishments, give your Mii some sort of cool accessory that you can add that shows off the accomplishment and ties into the game it was earned from. Just representing them in points and lists is about as interesting as reading a D&D character sheet aloud.

Terrell said:
You do remember that
Mantarok, the ancient god of chaos, is still alive,
right? There is room for a sequel.

I've never played Eternal Darkness, but if I recall a lot of the appeal was about how the game broke the 4th wall and toyed with the player. A sequel is kind of hard to pull off because people will now be expectant of those sorts of pranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom