• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
x6Nw7.png

Believe.

ALL ABOARD!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the appreciation, guys. I'm glad my posts can contribute with somewhat meaningful information. I also hope to next week, starting tomorrow, bring more information about what is going on with the Wii U trademark (in North American) in conjunction with that suspension letter. I'll try to get Mr. Nagae (trademark counsel for Nintendo) to spill the beans on this matter, or at least provide me with some hints. While I'm quite certain my own suggestions to the reasons of the current status and practice are correct, hearing it from an official source could be interesting.

^ Exactly... for Nintendo to be logical is... illogical.

See, partnering with a strong, talented western studio like Crytek is a smart move... so Nintendo would never do it. Because they'd never do it, they will.

Um.

I have read Angry Birds will be the bundled game with Wii U, thoughts ?.

Also im giving serious thought to buying the 3DS bundle with Mario for £150 which is amazing considering a 3DS alone was £240 at launch but what is the % chance that a newer 3DS will be shown at E3 with dual analogue sticks ?.

Is it worth getting a 3DS just for Mario, Mario Kart, RE: Revelations and Starfox ?.

Cheers.

Postman

Banned
I have read Angry Birds will be the bundled game with Wii U, thoughts ?.

Also im giving serious thought to buying the 3DS bundle with Mario for £150 which is amazing considering a 3DS alone was £240 at launch but what is the % chance that a newer 3DS will be shown at E3 with dual analogue sticks ?.

Is it worth getting a 3DS just for Mario, Mario Kart, RE: Revelations and Starfox ?.

Cheers.

Bundling angry birds would be a huge mistake. They do not want to compared to an ipad. That would send the wrong message.

Angry Birds will probably be available day one on the e shop at least.

The 3DS bundle is a bargain, and yes, all of those games are worth the purchase - though if you've never played Ocarina of Time, I suggest picking that up too.

royalan

Bundling angry birds would be a huge mistake. They do not want to compared to an ipad. That would send the wrong message.

I'd agree if this were a year ago, but Angry Birds is on anything with a chip and touch screen these days. I don't think it's considered just an IOS game anymore.

Nibel

I'd agree if this were a year ago, but Angry Birds is on anything with a chip and touch screen these days. I don't think it's considered just an IOS game anymore.

It will probably be availabe on Wii U, but it won't take the same position as a flagship title. Just another popular game in the Wii U library.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Rösti;35066441 said:
Thanks for the appreciation, guys. I'm glad my posts can contribute with somewhat meaningful information. I also hope to next week, starting tomorrow, bring more information about what is going on with the Wii U trademark (in North American) in conjunction with that suspension letter. I'll try to get Mr. Nagae (trademark counsel for Nintendo) to spill the beans on this matter, or at least provide me with some hints. While I'm quite certain my own suggestions to the reasons of the current status and practice are correct, hearing it from an official source could be interesting.

Torture him for information if you have to.

wsippel

Banned
About the Crytek thing: I hear they're eager to show something very soon, and I'm almost certain they'll show it at GDC - but don't be disappointed if it's only shown behind closed doors. This is GDC after all.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
About the Crytek thing: I hear they're eager to show something very soon, and I'm almost certain they'll show it at GDC

HYPE

wsippel said:
- but don't be disappointed if it's only shown behind closed doors. This is GDC after all.

HYPE GONE

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Crytek were next to Nintendo last year, with similar sized booths.
http://web.archive.org/web/20101211...df/floorplan/GDC 2011_12_01_10 South Hall.pdf

While true, Wii U (then known as Project Café) had not been unveiled by GDC 2011, and we did not know about Crytek's plans for the system. Also, last year Nintendo's booth was not by the entrance, which it is this year (well, at least it's very close).

When is GDC? If they show off at least ONE game, or at least announce it, I'd be ecstatic.
GDC takes place March 5-9.

royalan

Crytek were next to Nintendo last year, with similar sized booths.

Rational thinking has no place here.

Nintendo is clearly teaming up with Crytek to co-develop HD Zelda using a version of CryEngine 3 that's been optimized for whatever card AMD has built for Wii U. It's obvious.

This is clearly footage from Zelda U, Nintendo just hadn't let them put in the deku babas the ship's infested with yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IKqjb9TRY

Has anyone ever successfully predicted anything on the basis of booth positioning? And that prediction coming true being related in any conceivable way to the facts of said positioning? Just wondering.

People keep saying that Zelda needs a shake up, etc, when talking about future installments/Retro. What in the world do they mean because I'm confused?

Skyward Sword had:
-Unique art style
-Unique villains
-Unique controls
-(Mostly) unique items
-Unique NPCs and races
-Different progression from the norm
-Heavier focus on story & characterization
-Vastly different exploration:puzzles:combat ratio than usual

That's not considered a shake up? At this point the only thing left to do would be to change the genre. I imagine that when people say Zelda needs a reboot, they're saying "make Skyrim" most of the time?

Angry Birds will probably be available day one on the e shop at least.

The 3DS bundle is a bargain, and yes, all of those games are worth the purchase - though if you've never played Ocarina of Time, I suggest picking that up too.

I was meaning a whole new 3D Angry Birds, as in using the tablet to pull the birds back and as you release them they go from the tablet to the main TV screen.

Would be a fun game for casuals and a huge IP to bundle with the system.

Im sure the original 2D Angry Birds will be availalbe on the Store.

Cheers for the input on the 3DS, just hope they don't announce a new one at E3 altho im not sure they would want to annoy the original 3DS buyers anymore than they already have so soon tbh.

Nibel

Lol crytek Zelda jokes are not very wise joke posts. And some of you wonder why GAFfers single you out as Nintendo fanatics.

Everybody in here is dead serious. What are your arguments against a Zelda by Crytek?!

Green nanosuit Link will be awesome!

filler

Banned
Rösti;35066014 said:
4181.png

The likelihood of Nintendo releasing new information about Wii U at Game Developers Conference is high, due to several factors:

• They have booked a larger booth than in 2011, and they also have a booth in the business area
  • While not directly connected to Wii U, Nintendo has two speakers featured: Steve Rabin (NoA) and Koichi Hayashida (EAD)
  • Several of Nintendo's closest business partners (AMD most prominently) with the Wii U are exhibiting
  • Reggie Fils-Aime has in interviews with both CNN and GameTrailers said that they will share more information between now (this was in early January) and E3
  • GDC is the single most important industry event before E3, and provides excellent opportunities to create hype as well as informing partners about deals, licenses and more
In addition to what Nintendo provides, there are several events connected to GDC, that could surely function as a ground for discussion, amongst industry members, about Wii U: Choice Awards, Independent Games Festival, Magnetic Game-O-Matic, Career Pavilion, Game Career Seminar, Parties & Networking, GDC Play and more.

While Nintendo has not confirmed nor denied Wii U at GDC this year, I think we can safely assume the system will be there in more ways than one. I take the liberty of once again posting the floorplans:

3561.png

Notice that Nintendo, Crytek and AMD have their booths very close. AMD's developing the GPU for Wii U, and former Director of Technology at Crytek, Mark Atkinson, was hired by Nintendo last year as Consultant Software Engineer. And Crytek's Cevat Yerli expressed excitement about the Wii U SDK last year, as reported by Beyond3D and GamesIndustry.biz:

Sources: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1582363&postcount=7706, http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-09-14-state-of-play-crytek-editorial

Nintendo's deep contacts with both AMD and Crytek, as well as other exhibitors at GDC, can mean they will be given golden opportunities to demonstrate the Wii U's capabilities. Probably not through games, but through tech demos (other than Chase Mii and Shield Pose). Opportunities I at least wouldn't waste.

My sources say you are headed in the right direction.

royalan

People keep saying that Zelda needs a shake up, etc, when talking about future installments/Retro. What in the world do they mean because I'm confused?

Skyward Sword had:
-Unique art style
-Unique villains
-Unique controls
-(Mostly) unique items
-Unique NPCs and races

That's not considered a shake up? At this point the only thing left to do would be to change the genre. I imagine that when people say Zelda needs a reboot, they're saying "make Skyrim" most of the time?

You're just taking aspects of the game and adding "unique" in front of them.

-Unique villains, but not incredibly difficult, and still follow the "exploit obvious weakness x times for win" mode of combat that many consider stale.
-Unique controls, but not as precise as many had hoped.
-Unique items but not a whole lot of customization options.
-Unique NPCs, not really sure what you mean by that by anyway there weren't nearly enough of them.
-Heavier focus on story and characterization, which I enjoyed, but it also made the lack of voice acting and walls of scrolling text all the more awkward.

For me, I think that Skyward Sword was definitely a good game and a step in the right direction, but at this point Zelda needs more than a step. It needs a jump. Not to mention that in order to make a lot of this happen they traded in what was arguably one of Zelda's biggest strengths: its open world.

clemenx

Banned
Obviously Nintendo doesn't agree and it seems like most of the people don't but I don't agree with you on the customization and I think Zelda should be less of an RPG and not more. I love SS though.

Lingitiz

Skyward Sword had:
-Unique art style
-Unique villains
-Unique controls
-(Mostly) unique items
-Unique NPCs and races

SS was a great game, but at this point Zelda needs more than a shake up. The series has already peaked in its current style of gameplay, so that's why alot of people are asking for something different. I don't blame them for being very careful in doing so. They need to strike a good balance of smart changes, while still remaining distinctly Zelda.

Nah, it's the same thing with that Rebirth Gamecube demo. It's just a tech demo.

LalalalalaI'mnotlistening!I'mnotlistening!I'mnotlistening!

:(

I'm personally more interested in performance improvements over visual enhancements. Super fast loading and seamless screen'menu/OS transitions. Something super snappy, fast, and consistent across the entire OS and interface would be great. As well as incorporating that into most games. For as far as we've come since the SNES/N64 eras visually, we've taken so many steps back in terms of active user experiences.

Oh God yes! Iwata has commented on such matters so I am hopeful that the Wii U will be a dramatic step in the right direction. If one could pick the controller up from its charging cradle touch the screen to turn the television on and go straight back to where you were in the game [like the DS/3DS sleep mode] it would be very, very welcome indeed! :)

Rhod

Rösti;35066766 said:
http://web.archive.org/web/20101211...df/floorplan/GDC 2011_12_01_10 South Hall.pdf

While true, Wii U (then known as Project Café) had not been unveiled by GDC 2011, and we did not know about Crytek's plans for the system. Also, last year Nintendo's booth was not by the entrance, which it is this year (well, at least it's very close).

Nintendo wasn't far from the entrance, but seriously this is not 'a thing'. Nintendo has a reasonable sized presence, will have numerous 3DS systems on display and probably a couple of Wii U demo units like CES, and the majority of the Nintendo stand will be taken up with meeting rooms specifically designed for making *not-public* announcements in.

Nintendo wasn't far from the entrance, but seriously this is not 'a thing'. Nintendo has a reasonable sized presence, will have numerous 3DS systems on display and probably a couple of Wii U demo units like CES, and the majority of the Nintendo stand will be taken up with meeting rooms specifically designed for making *not-public* announcements in.
Like a Zelda from Crytek.

G-Man is actually Ganondorf in disguise!

Suffer like Ganon did.

You're just taking aspects of the game and adding "unique" in front of them.

-Unique villains, but not incredibly difficult, and still follow the "exploit obvious weakness x times for win" mode of combat that many consider stale.
-Unique controls, but not as precise as many had hoped.
-Unique items but not a whole lot of customization options.
-Unique NPCs, not really sure what you mean by that by anyway there weren't nearly enough of them.
-Heavier focus on story and characterization, which I enjoyed, but it also made the lack of voice acting and walls of scrolling text all the more awkward.

For me, I think that Skyward Sword was definitely a good game and a step in the right direction, but at this point Zelda needs more than a step. It needs a jump. Not to mention that in order to make a lot of this happen they traded in what was arguably one of Zelda's biggest strengths: its open world.

Just taking your list in order, wants include: non-pattern based boss fights; higher difficulty; character customization; more NPCs (note: not sure I can think of another non-Zelda game with more unique NPC character models, so I guess you mean having more generic NPCs fill out areas?); and voice acting?

So, again, Skyrim?

SS was a great game, but at this point Zelda needs more than a shake up. The series has already peaked in its current style of gameplay, so that's why alot of people are asking for something different. I don't blame them for being very careful in doing so. They need to strike a good balance of smart changes, while still remaining distinctly Zelda.

Again, with the "needs a shake up" but no indication of what that might be. What exactly could they change that they haven't already, besides the genre?

EVH

Skyward Sword was the shake up that Zelda needed, just because of the new battle system and new mechanics regarding wiimotion+.

Do you guys think that a game involving sword combat is going to feel ok after Zelda in that side? Skyward Sword not only implemented wm+ and sword combat in a really impressive way, they just learned how to make that into a game mechanic.

It is not only the ceiling of the wiimote, but also the sword combat mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom