• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Just taking your list in order, wants include: non-pattern based boss fights; higher difficulty; character customization; more NPCs (note: not sure I can think of another non-Zelda game with more unique NPC character models, so I guess you mean having more generic NPCs fill out areas?); and voice acting?

So, again, Skyrim?

You know, I think the most annoying thing about Skyrim isn't the game itself, but the fact that now you can't criticize the Zelda series in the slightest without someone accusing you of wanting to turn it into a Skyrim clone.

No, I don't want Skyrim.

You can make a Zelda game with a bigger, more involved world and a more layered combat system without ripping off Skyrim. Skyrim didn't invent those things.

Skyward Sword was the shake up that Zelda needed, just because of the new battle system and new mechanics regarding wiimotion+.

Do you guys think that a game involving sword combat is going to feel ok after Zelda in that side? Skyward Sword not only implemented wm+ and sword combat in a really impressive way, they just learned how to make that into a game mechanic.

It is not only the ceiling of the wiimote, but also the sword combat mechanic.
As a long time Zelda fan this is the only game that I enjoyed fighting through every battle instead of just mindlessly pushing buttons or waggling like in Twilight Princess.

Lingitiz

Just taking your list in order, wants include: non-pattern based boss fights; higher difficulty; character customization; more NPCs (note: not sure I can think of another non-Zelda game with more unique NPC character models, so I guess you mean having more generic NPCs fill out areas?); and voice acting?

So, again, Skyrim?

Again, with the "needs a shake up" but no indication of what that might be. What exactly could they change that they haven't already, besides the genre?

Honestly, I don't know what shake up is needed, other than a new developer/director. There is nothing really wrong with Zelda as it is now (I loved SS), but I imagine new eyes on the franchise couldn't hurt. Look at Halo and 343. Bungie was getting really tired with the series, and now a fresh new developer is getting alot of fans excited about the series again. The same could be done by getting some new talent on the franchise, even if its not a long term thing.

And now all I can picture is Link using the Temple of Time and yelling "Time to split!"

ynbsY.jpg

Google Image Search never fails. Haha.

Needs 360% more muscles, a cigarette, bloodstains, meaner look in his face, and 28.4 scars all over his body and voila... 25% of xbox360/ps3s game library copied :)

He also needs to be bald/shaved.

Also needs to have something large and impractical attached to the gun, like a chainsaw...or a KitchenAid stand mixer.

Or a crossbow.
A crossbow gun.
A mother fucking cross bow on a giant mother fucking gun.
That shoots master swords.

The Gears of Zelda: Ocarina of War

SS was a great game, but at this point Zelda needs more than a shake up. The series has already peaked in its current style of gameplay, so that's why alot of people are asking for something different. I don't blame them for being very careful in doing so. They need to strike a good balance of smart changes, while still remaining distinctly Zelda.

Majoras Mask has proven that you can make a Zelda game that feels different and unique even without shaking up the fundamentals.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Also needs to have something large and impractical attached to the gun, like a chainsaw...or a KitchenAid stand mixer.
And needs to be dressed in bikini and shinpads. Oh, wait, wrong genre.

I said this before, but I think this wiiU zelda will be a very different one in terms of structure. They have a lot more at their disposal. I think the core stuff will remain the same, but the world will be a lot more grand/larger, dungeons will be seamlessly placed in the world, kind of like how Dark Souls is all one big world with different sections, I also think it'll be the first Zelda where link talks (not voice acting, just dialogue), booook all dat shit. It's happening.

They have the power to do it, they have the disk space to do it, they have the RAM to do it. No more excuses not to take the franchise to the next level.

Nibel

I would love to see a more dark/crazy Zelda like OoT and MM. SS was great, but sometimes I missed this creepy atmosphere OoT created easily. With every dungeon, it git darker and darker. I hope that they will choose a more realistic style.

And please stop adding those weird ass sci-fi elements.. I'm not a big fan of those robots in the desert. It seems so out of place in my eyes..

(Damn, that post makes me seem like a grumpy person..! I still love you Nintendo, and will be hyped day one when you show the new Zelda!)

SASASR sequel is confirmed as the other thread says, but no platforms were mentioned, but this most certainly makes the game being on Wii U, 3DS, and Vita pretty much down.

And so soon, for the holidays. The original was a Spring title. Nice launch window game, I wonder if Dimensions is true (likely) and where it'll be slotted, Spring ala Secret Rings?

SASASR sequel is confirmed as the other thread says, but no platforms were mentioned, but this most certainly makes the game being on Wii U, 3DS, and Vita pretty much down.

And so soon, for the holidays. The original was a Spring title. Nice launch window game, I wonder if Dimensions is true (likely) and where it'll be slotted, Spring ala Secret Rings?
Dimensions would definitely be a 2013 title.
And the sooner the better, since there will likely be a Mario title out late next year.

About like this?

pointless_armor_now_available_in_dude.jpg

IS this the new ghost recon game? I can see the new logo at the back, but the SSS on that codpiece is really convincing. Fish meet water and all that. The shadows are also pretty good.

This is a really great page to look at on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units#Radeon_HD_6xxxM_Series

I see some mobile graphics chips that use 50W TDP, are on 40nm process, and provide 1.1TFLOPS. Very very interesting.

I wonder if one of them could be modified to provide a high bandwidth bus back to some sort of PowerPC chip and have the ability to assign blocks of attached GDDR5 to the CPU.

I wonder I wonder I wonder.

That would make for a very interesting E3.

If it was going to be a 40nm part I could see them using an overclocked broadway xt (name is a coincidience or is it? :p ) as a base and if by any chance they could die shrink a base design like that to 32nm it would come somewhere between Broadway XT and Thames Pro at 28nm

Broadway XT Juniper (Jan 2010)
Fab 40nm
16 ROP Units
800 Stream Processing Units
core/mem 700mhz 1000mhz
Bandwidth 64GB/s
Ram GDDR5 1024MB
Bus 128bit
Shader Model 5.0
GFLOPS 1120
TDP 50Watts

for comparison

Thames Pro (unreleased)
Fab 28nm
16 ROP Units
core/mem 700mhz 1000mhz
Bandwidth 155GB/s
Ram GDDR5 2048MB
Bus 256bit
Shader Model 4.2
GFLOPS 1749
TDP 50Watts

Is it possible the devkits being underpowered in the beginning to meet some kind of thermal envelope in the first place so they got an underpowered card which met the guidelines like say a RV730XT?

Not trying to be a special guy or anything but what would be the value in doing something like that? secrecy?

IS this the new ghost recon game? I can see the new logo at the back, but the SSS on that codpiece is really convincing. Fish meet water and all that. The shadows are also pretty good.

If it was going to be a 40nm part I could see them using an overclocked broadway xt (name is a coincidience or is it? :p ) as a base and if by any chance they could die shrink a base design like that to 32nm it would come somewhere between Broadway XT and Thames Pro at 28nm

Broadway XT Juniper (Jan 2010)
Fab 40nm
16 ROP Units
core/mem 700mhz 1000mhz
Bandwidth 64GB/s
Ram GDDR5 1024MB
Bus 128bit
Shader Model 5.0
GFLOPS 1120
TDP 50Watts

for comparison

Thames Pro (unreleased)
Fab 28nm
16 ROP Units
core/mem 700mhz 1000mhz
Bandwidth 155GB/s
Ram GDDR5 2048MB
Bus 256bit
Shader Model 4.2
GFLOPS 1749
TDP 50Watts

Is it possible the devkits being underpowered in the beginning to meet some kind of thermal envelope in the first place so they got an underpowered card which met the guidelines like say a RV730XT?

Not trying to be a special guy or anything but what would be the value in doing something like that? secrecy?

There were reports around E3 that dev kits were overheating and had to be underclocked.

Let's face it, Legend of Zelda perhaps isn't exactly Crytek's cup of tea, instead they could do a nice job with a total reboot of Super Mario bros series.
Indeed here's a few leaked screenshots
:p OK, I just felt like posting these old funny fanarts

handre-de-jager-super-mario-bros-art.jpg

RealisticMario.jpg

mario_fan.jpg

Log4Girlz

People keep saying that Zelda needs a shake up, etc, when talking about future installments/Retro. What in the world do they mean because I'm confused?

Skyward Sword had:
-Unique art style
-Unique villains
-Unique controls
-(Mostly) unique items
-Unique NPCs and races
-Different progression from the norm
-Heavier focus on story & characterization
-Vastly different exploration:puzzles:combat ratio than usual

That's not considered a shake up? At this point the only thing left to do would be to change the genre. I imagine that when people say Zelda needs a reboot, they're saying "make Skyrim" most of the time?

No, not a shake-up. It was like icing on a cake, final touches to perfect the 3D Zelda formula. I think many people want a more "western" approach with a living, breathing, convincing world and more meaningful NPC interactions, more sophisticated item/weapon acquisition and upgrading, and a grittier graphic style (gritty can still be very stylized, look at Dark Crystal).

If Retro were working on such a thing I would fucking bust a nut in my pants.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Well, some games that won't be possible, simply because the controller will have part of the gameplay on it.
Like the Pirate demo they had.

That's just a tech demo ace. Don't you kill my hopes and dreams with a tech demo. This functionality should be an OS level option so it's required for all games on the system. Do it Nintendo.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If there isn't a function to just play on the tablet for every game released than I'm going to be mad
Highly unlikely for native WiiU games (where the devs might use the upad in any way they could think of), but I do hope they do it for BC games.

Well, some games that won't be possible, simply because the controller will have part of the gameplay on it.
Like the Pirate demo they had.

What would be cool is if I can play a virtual console type game on the tablet while someone else plays another different on another tablet and on the big screen. wife plays tetris online, while you play zelda wii u for example.

HylianTom

Banned
Waking up to this last page or so has been fantastic. I'm hyped out the ying-yang.. ready to go line-up for my pre-order already. I really, really hope that Nintendo announces the release date a bit earlier than they did for the Wii (September 2006), so that I can plan some time off from work.. if I have to work distracted during Launch Week.. err.. I wouldn't want to be the patient on my procedure table that week.

As far as Zelda goes, there has yet to be a Zelda title I disliked, but I would like a bit more non-linearity in the game. Don't jump on me yet.. when I say non-linearity, I mainly mean it like in OoT where I could complete some of the dungeons in different orders.. if I were clever enough to figure-out how to do so.

Either that, or let me go into dungeons for The Big Item they hold, but don't quite allow me to proceed much further.

Ideally, I would not mind a Zelda as non-linear as Zelda 1, where I can go into almost any dungeon I want, even if doing so would mean almost-certain death. I'd like to take my chances from time to time. But, given the mechanics that have been established in modern Zeldas, I know that this may well pose some problems.

But.. even though I wish for non-linearity, you won't find me complaining from here to kingdom come about how the new Zelda game sucks.

I always liked Link in Soul Calibur 2. Seeing Link in a different but similar environment, even though it was a fighting game, made Link more enjoyable. To see him to stand up against other recognizable characters in another series, made me feel he can be almost anywhere. He kicked ass in Soul Calibur 2! What if for the next legend of zelda game, Link could appear in a Final Fantasy Setting, but it would be action not rpg. Or have Nightmare and others from Soul Calibur invade Hyrule? A crossover would be nice. Would it work? Or would it fail?

Sponge

Banned
To see him to stand up against other recognizable characters in another series, made me feel he can be almost anywhere.

I don't think Nintendo's the kind of company to do that anymore, I'm afraid. They were extremely upset when Link and Samus were thrown into Marvel Ulimate Alliance, and were ultimately taken out at the last minute.

I don't think Nintendo's the kind of company to do that anymore, I'm afraid. They were extremely upset when Link and Samus were thrown into Marvel Ulimate Alliance, and were ultimately taken out at the last minute.

They were upset because the cameos were running on PS2 hardware.

Edit: Junior Member Combo XD

I always liked Link in Soul Calibur 2. Seeing Link in a different but similar environment, even though it was a fighting game, made Link more enjoyable. To see him to stand up against other recognizable characters in another series, made me feel he can be almost anywhere. He kicked ass in Soul Calibur 2! What if for the next legend of zelda game, Link could appear in a Final Fantasy Setting, but it would be action not rpg. Or have Nightmare and others from Soul Calibur invade Hyrule? A crossover would be nice. Would it work? Or would it fail?

Are you saying have Link in a final fantasy-esque setting? With airships and some steampunk/cyberpunk influences? Maybe, it could work.

Actually setting a "Legend of Zelda" game in one of the worlds of the Final Fantasy games? Hell no.

And, I don't want any game that's presenting itself as a mainline "Legend of Zelda" game to feature crossovers with anything.

Are you saying have Link in a final fantasy-esque setting? With airships and some steampunk/cyberpunk influences? Maybe, it could work.

Actually setting a "Legend of Zelda" game in one of the worlds of the Final Fantasy games? Hell no.

And, I don't want any game that's presenting itself as a mainline "Legend of Zelda" game to feature crossovers with anything.

Awww crap. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom