• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That could work.
Kind of like MS does purple for Kinect games and green for everything else.
That's how they do it in Japan.
Never got why they never brought it over.

This is primarily because Kinect games require hardware not necessarily sold with the console. It makes sense to distinguish the two products since you are practically buying software for 2 systems. It doesn't quite make sense to distinguish based on demographic. As you said before, It would cause confusion. I do believe the ESRB needs to adjust their rating system a little bit to distinguish the ratings a bit better, but color coding the entire box is not the way to go about it. Perhaps increasing the size of the rating icon itself and color coding the rating (Europe does this i think) would make sense. But certainly there is no need to classify hardcore/casual fare.

Great mock-up there! :D

But I was just wondering, what if Nintendo just merely copies the 3DS box? Have it the same as the 3DS box but with the Wii U logo in its place.

That wouldn't look so good in theory, they didn't copy the DS box on Wii, so they probably won't do so here.

This is primarily because Kinect games require hardware not necessarily sold with the console. It makes sense to distinguish the two products since you are practically buying software for 2 systems. It doesn't quite make sense to distinguish based on demographic. As you said before, It would cause confusion. I do believe the ESRB needs to adjust their rating system a little bit to distinguish the ratings a bit better, but color coding the entire box is not the way to go about it. Perhaps increasing the size of the rating icon itself and color coding the rating (Europe does this i think) would make sense. But certainly there is no need to classify hardcore/casual fare.

Nooooooooooooooooooo!
So ugly!

Yeah, but just having Black and White cases is so neutral.
It's easily recognizable with just a glance and it doesn't make you feel dumb for getting one or the other.

HylianTom

Banned
Haha, no different from any other E3.
I've been on this site since E3 2007, and it's just been crazy each year.

In terms of anticipation (and neogaf entertainment value), E3 years where Nintendo is about to release a console is like Christmas, Mardi Gras, and the Super Bowl all rolled into one. Sogooooood.gif

Luigison

I think Nintendo could be planning on using the Wii "u" and the Nintendo Network "n" (the same character rotated 180 degrees) in ads similar to how they used the "ii" in Wii?

I get that the original DVD case design was made to make it easy to identify the product as being video since it's the same height as a videocassette, but it's time to drop that.

Actually, the dimensions of DVD cases were designed as such so that theatrical poster artwork could be reproduced with no cropping or padding.

/condescending internet nerd

In my opinion, the only reason a box should be distinguished is in the case of requiring sold seperately accessories like Kinect or Wii Motion Plus, or its a Platinum Edition/Publishers Choice title. Otherwise, let them colorcode the cases based on how it fits towards the system. It doesn't need to be over complicated. Some things just do not need to be distinguished.

Keyouta

How about instead of changing the colour of the box, just change the colour the the U in the logo. Blue for E, Green for T, Black for M, alongside Gold for Zelda, Red for Mario.

As long as they don't have some ugly ass colour like green on them, all should be well. I think they should do black boxes. Sony went with the see-through ones for most of their games, which isn't bad. At the store movies use the blue cases. But then there are random movies that sometimes use the BLACKKK bluray case:

lEt6d.jpg

Which is the slickest case. White always comes off as cheap to me for some reason. As for logos they should just do it like Sony, with a strip at the top that says WiiU and in the right corner it says Nintendo Network with a small logo next to it. And leave the bottom for developer logos + rating.

I'm going to be honest, I hate that box art mockup.

Don't be so confined to the original box art styles, Rounded corners, smaller, square, etc.

We've already decided. They'll be virtual manuals that you can read on the screen at any time like the 3DS does.

Ah... um. What else then...?

How about instead of changing the colour of the box, just change the colour the the U in the logo. Blue for E, Green for T, Black for M, alongside Gold for Zelda, Red for Mario.

That's... a terrible idea.

I'm going to be honest, I hate that box art mockup.

Don't be so confined to the original box art styles, Rounded corners, smaller, square, etc.

There are conformities for a reason - ergonomics, size constraints, ease of use, aesthetics etc. etc.

I'm going to bed now.

AzaK

I'm a sad panda. This thread's gone from specs, to launch titles and now to boxart speculation.

Come on Nintendo, see how desperate we're getting!

I think all my Wii games have manuals. I don't know about other consoles of this generation.

Whatever the case, I don't like companies cheapening out--especially when I'm paying a premium price for their product.

How is it cheapening out to include the exact same stuff, only in a digital format that you can readily access at any time?

lednerg

some more random thoughts:
  • I can't wait until people realize that there's no such thing as "HD Graphics". Whoever coined that term is a PR genius (and thus, a complete asshole). It actually holds less meaning than Blast Processing. Developers have been "able to make HD games" since high resolution screens have existed. Quake could be called an HD game, for crying out loud. Can people please quit treating HD as if it's some sort of mystical thing that only a select few can figure out? High-res textures and high-poly models aren't exactly a new thing. Also, it's actually more difficult for game devs to deal with less memory and power, not the other way around.

• Just so long as the Wii U web browser isn't completely gimped, Flash/HTML5 games and web apps could end up being a big deal on the Wii U. While there were some sites out there made for the Wii browser which had some halfway-decent Wii-based Flash games, they were seriously hampered by Wii's lack of power and memory. This time around, and especially because of the touch screen, I have to expect we'll be seeing more and better offerings.

• I dunno, maybe I've grown more "casual" in my advanced age, but am I alone in looking forward to the next Wario Ware title? I don't know anyone who didn't have a blast with Smooth Moves when we played it. With the Wii U's touch screen, microphone, motion sensing, and camera... it's going to be insane.

• I can't wait until people realize that there's no such thing as "HD Graphics". Whoever coined that term is a PR genius (and thus, a complete asshole). It actually holds less meaning than Blast Processing. Developers have been "able to make HD games" since high resolution screens have existed. Quake could be called an HD game, for crying out loud. Can people please quit treating HD as if it's some sort of mystical thing that only a select few can figure out? High-res textures and high-poly models aren't exactly a new thing. Also, it's actually more difficult for game devs to deal with less memory and power, not the other way around.

You are right. "High resolution" and "high definition" are terms that have been thrown around for decades:

OyUAB.jpg

You barely get real manuals now...

I think this is one of the keys when it comes to Nintendo's digital distribution strategy. The online prices to download have to be somewhat cheaper than the physical copy. The current prices on XBL, for example, are ludicrous. I can get a physical copy of Bioshock on Amazon for cheaper than the download. Nintendo know this, and have stated they are investigating a fair pricing structure. If they are going to sell digital titles a little cheaper online, then the physical copy needs to offer something extra. Much like the CD industry has done, things like packaging and booklets need to be NICE and not this black and white 4 page crap we get far too often these days.

WillyFive

Minimalist designs are the best looking, but impractical for actual commercial use.

You want a potential costumer to identify what console the game is for as they walk by the aisle.

The more effort the costumer has to make to find a product, the least likely the costumer will bother to look.

That's why box art designs come with those big distracting banners on top or the side of the box, to grab people's attention.

Sure, we would all love to have stuff like this:

39085-kirbys-epic-yarn.png

But in reality, this is what we will get:

1874637-capture.png

Minimalist designs are the best looking, but impractical for actual commercial use.

You want a potential costumer to identify what console the game is for as they walk by the aisle.

The more effort the costumer has to make to find a product, the least likely the costumer will bother to look.

That's why box art designs come with those big distracting banners on top or the side of the box, to grab people's attention.

Sure, we would all love to have stuff like this:

But in reality, this is what we will get:

1874637-capture.png

Kill it with fire!

I think all my Wii games have manuals. I don't know about other consoles of this generation.

Whatever the case, I don't like companies cheapening out--especially when I'm paying a premium price for their product.

I concur. When they use environmental concerns as the justification that really rubs it in :x.

• Indeed; it is just a different level of definition e.g 720 p as distinct from 480p. True HD or Full HD really makes me laugh.

I think this is one of the keys when it comes to Nintendo's digital distribution strategy. The online prices to download have to be somewhat cheaper than the physical copy. The current prices on XBL, for example, are ludicrous. I can get a physical copy of Bioshock on Amazon for cheaper than the download. Nintendo know this, and have stated they are investigating a fair pricing structure. If they are going to sell digital titles a little cheaper online, then the physical copy needs to offer something extra. Much like the CD industry has done, things like packaging and booklets need to be NICE and not this black and white 4 page crap we get far too often these days.

Exactly! *crosses fingers*

cacildo

[*]I dunno, maybe I've grown more "casual" in my advanced age, but am I alone in looking forward to the next Wario Ware title? I don't know anyone who didn't have a blast with Smooth Moves when we played it. With the Wii U's touch screen, microphone, motion sensing, and camera... it's going to be insane.
[/LIST]

Nothing "casual" in you, is just that Wario Ware really kicks ass.

Smooth Moves still one of the best wii games around.

And it also showed a lot of what the wiimote could do.

Unfortunally, nobody did anything with the wiimote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom