• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are people on this board that are still Wii-only owners? That's just..... Wow.

If you count owning just a Wii out of the three current-gen home console systems (but still owning and playing handhelds and PC) as Wii-only, then you've got one right here.

I can get most of the games I'm interested in on the HD Twins on my PC, cheaper and better-quality, and I get all of the Wii exclusives and a good dose of handheld gaming. No need for either the 360 or PS3 here.

DrWong

If you count owning just a Wii out of the three current-gen home console systems (but still owning and playing handhelds and PC) as Wii-only, then you've got one right here.

I can get most of the games I'm interested in on the HD Twins on my PC, cheaper and better-quality, and I get all of the Wii exclusives and a good dose of handheld gaming. No need for either the 360 or PS3 here.

Same for me.

There are people on this board that are still Wii-only owners? That's just..... Wow.

What's wrong with that?!

As far as I'm concerned I have quite a huge backlog of Wii/GCN games(many of them are exclusive incidentally) I still have to finish - and there's a bunch of things I have been holding off buying waiting for a good deal - to keep me busy for months to come; yes, I know I have missed some good games for sure, but I can deal with it since I have many other interests apart from videogames.

tkscz

Same. My PC plays the games I want on the HD duo, with better graphics, FPS and cheaper. Why bother with either HD twin?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Well if you have a PC it's different. Yeah you miss out on the PS3 exclusives and some 360 ones, but you still have access to most of the big HD titles of this generation. I'm talking about those that are handheld and Wii exclusive. Those that dont have access to the big HD titles like Portal 2, Arkham City, Skyrim, etc.

It just blows my mind that people on this board haven't have the chance to play or want to play any of the HD titles. A used Xbox 360 arcade can be picked up for less then $100 now so I don't see what is stopping anyone anymore....

What's wrong with that?!

As far as I'm concerned I have quite a huge backlog of Wii/GCN games(many of them are exclusive incidentally) I still have to finish - and there's a bunch of things I have been holding off buying waiting for a good deal - to keep me busy for months to come; yes, I know I have missed some good games for sure, but I can deal with it since I have many other interests apart from videogames.

There isn't anything wrong with it. Hell, more power to you! You have a ton of amazing titles to play, and you're trying to take care of your backlog (which I have a major problem with right now). I just didn't really imagine many people who visit this board not having access to any of the HD games.

It's just surprising I guess...

My only console that I worship is the Nintendo Wii. I have the DS Lite and the 3DS. I've also had the N64, and the Gamecube. I've never owned anything else really. So I never had the golden opportunity to play the other games on other sytems. Sad but true.

Turrican3

Highly subjective matter, I think.

I'd say it mostly depends on the amount of time one can spend on this hobby. Besides that and despite the ever-shrinking number of releases, Wii still has an impressive number of worthwhile games for one to play.

Berg

Well if you have a PC it's different. Yeah you miss out on the PS3 exclusives and some 360 ones, but you still have access to most of the big HD titles of this generation. I'm talking about those that are handheld and Wii exclusive. Those that dont have access to the big HD titles like Portal 2, Arkham City, Skyrim, etc.

Lucky for me, they released Portal 1 for Mac on steam. Haven't played portal 2 yet.
That's why I'm so pumped for WiiU. Can't wait for exposure to some new games.
I've been a COD whore :/ the last couple of years, love the wiimote's point-n-shot, but I need change!

It just blows my mind that people on this board haven't have the chance to play or want to play any of the HD titles. A used Xbox 360 arcade can be picked up for less then $100 now so I don't see what is stopping anyone anymore....

The same goes the other way round.

Wii must be quite cheap now, so why don't Xbox360 and PS3 users buy one in order to play Sin and punishment 2, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Monster hunter Tri, Muramasa, Xenoblade, Donkey Kong country returns, Metroid trilogy, No more heroes 2 or Little king story?

I'd guess it's perhaps the same thing that's stopping me picking up a PSP, despite the fact that they can be found for very little nowadays: I just don't have the time to invest in another platform when I'm already keeping up with games on PC/Wii/3DS and dipping in and out of a backlog of DS/PS2/GCN titles, as well as revisiting older games through the VC or other forms of emulation. At some point, I have to decide on a platform (or platforms) to support and just accept that I'm going to miss out somewhere along the way.

andthebeatgoeson

I'm surprised there are people actually anticipating Arkham City...well I guess there is you peculiar Wii only owners :p
Would double dip if it's improved but I already beat it twice on the 360. Good game and good enough to come back. And Dat Joker voice.

It would be foolish for Nintendo not to create something that contains Chase Mii and Battle Mii, along with other such titles, and include it in with the system.
And they don't have to press a disc if they choose the smart choice and give us enough space plus the ability to redownload it.

Skiesofwonder

Wii must be quite cheap now, so why don't Xbox360 and PS3 users buy one in order to play Sin and punishment 2, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Monster hunter Tri, Muramasa, Xenoblade, Donkey Kong country returns, Metroid trilogy, No more heroes 2 or Little king story?

Well of course, that goes without saying. I mean you can buy a 360 and Wii now for less the $180. I probably should of made this clearer, but we are in a Wii U thread so I just assume most everyone in here owns a Wii so that's why I singled it out. But any hoo, it just seems... odd picturing anyone on this board owning a single home console this far into the generation. Whether it's PC-only, Wii-only, Xbox 360-only, and PS3-only; no matter what you can pick up another console for less then $100. And most of the great games can be picked up for less then $15 (besides Nintendo first party titles lol).

PetrCobra

...is this a trick question?

Anyway, let me guess:

- because they've never heard about most of those games, and Mario is for teh kiddos?
- because there is no multiplayer in the Nintendo, not with other kids from the class to compete with anyway?
- and finally, I'm sure some just prefer to spend the money on something else (a new game for the machine they already own, perhaps), which is also why I haven't bought a PS3 or a 360 yet

Skiesofwonder

My only console that I worship is the Nintendo Wii. I have the DS Lite and the 3DS. I've also had the N64, and the Gamecube. I've never owned anything else really. So I never had the golden opportunity to play the other games on other sytems. Sad but true.

You know.... you can go pick up a PS2 for $30 at Gamestop. You probably could pick up 5 games with it for the price of a regular video game. Honestly, that would be a better investment then buying any new game, period.

There isn't anything wrong with it. Hell, more power to you! You have a ton of amazing titles to play, and you're trying to take care of your backlog (which I have a major problem with right now). I just didn't really imagine many people who visit this board not having access to any of the HD games.

It's just surprising I guess...

Well, I see what you mean and I must give you out of sincerity that I have been craving to try Dead rising, Red dead redemption and Arkhan asylum to cite a fews, but speaking for myself I haven't neither the time nor the money(not kidding, money can be a serious issue) or the space in my flat - that's quite packed of stuff as it is - to buy another console; I regret it somehow as I really like videogames, but you must give something, and as far as I'm concerned I am quite busy anyway(work, tons of books on my shelves begging to be read, a bit of a social life from time to time, jogging thrice a week, photography, internet surfing and so on).

Sadist

Well of course, that goes without saying. I mean you can buy a 360 and Wii now for less the $180. I probably should of made this clearer, but we are in a Wii U thread so I just assume most everyone in here owns a Wii so that's why I singled it out. But any hoo, it just seems... odd picturing anyone on this board owning a single home console this far into the generation. Whether it's PC-only, Wii-only, Xbox 360-only, and PS3-only; no matter what you can pick up another console for less then $100. And most of the great games can be picked up for less then $15 (besides Nintendo first party titles lol).
Well, it's not like I'm made of money. Wish I was. Still, if you own a Wii with a decent PC and a handheld system you have three potential moneypits. A lot of the games on PC are dirt cheap (got Darksiders PC for like € 7) and Wii/DS/3DS games are a bit more expensive.

They only games I miss are the Sony and MS console exlusives which isn't that bad honestly. It's too bad I miss out on Uncharted or typical console games like Bayonetta and Vanquish, but I'll deal with it.

Skiesofwonder

Well, it's not like I'm made of money. Wish I was. Still, if you own a Wii with a decent PC and a handheld system you have three potential moneypits. A lot of the games on PC are dirt cheap (got Darksiders PC for like € 7) and Wii/DS/3DS games are a bit more expensive.

They only games I miss are the Sony and MS console exlusives which isn't that bad honestly. It's too bad I miss out on Uncharted or typical console games like Bayonetta and Vanquish, but I'll deal with it.

Ok, That is understandable. Also, you have a PC so that's a bit different. But, I have a question for all one-console owners (just playing Devils Advocate here so hear me out).

If you are a Wii-only owner, will you buy a Wii U before a HD twin console?

You know.... you can go pick up a PS2 for $30 at Gamestop. You probably could pick up 5 games with it for the price of a regular video game. Honestly, that would be a better investment then buying any new game, period.

True. Good point. It has crossed my mind. But I enjoy what Ninty has to offer. I have no rush to buy a PS 2 now though. Call it loyalty, but I kind of like being a Nintendo nut.

HylianTom

Banned
Nothing wrong with being a Wii-only owner, or Wii-PC. It works for many of us.

That, and I absolutely refuse to be a part of Nintendo's third party problem. Many Nintendo fans say one thing with their mouths, but their wallet activity says something entirely different..

{cue dream sequence music}

Nintendo fan: I want Awesome Game X on my Wii!
Third party: Too bad so sad. It's on the Unsustainable Twins. The Nintendo platform gets Party Piranahz 3.
Nintendo fan: Alrighty then. Fine. Take my moniez, gimme Awesome Game X!
Third party (to self): See? We don't need to put our good stuff on the Nintendo machine! Ka-ching!

And thus, the cycle of contradiction continues..

{dream sequence music ends}

I know I'll get roasted on here for saying this, but it's my honest take on that angle. And I know I miss-out on some titles, but honstly, I'm lucky to keep-up with the Wii's release schedule.. and I love older/VC gaming.

PetrCobra

Ok, That is understandable. Also, you have a PC so that's a bit different. But, I have a question for all one-console owners (just playing Devils Advocate here so hear me out).

Yeah. But I may buy another HD console later (meaning PS3 or X360) as I did with PS2 pretty late in this generation

Berg

Yes, I'm waiting for WiiU.
A part of me wants to upgrade now, but i don't want to spoil my 480p brain before the WiiU. I can only imagine what it will be like to play some HD games.... soon

Sadist

I know I'll get roasted on here for saying this, but it's my honest take on that angle. And I know I miss-out on some titles, but honstly, I'm lucky to keep-up with the Wii's release schedule.. and I love older/VC gaming.
I'm definitely not the type hehe. I have 65 Wii games and the one and only party game I own is the first Raving Rabbids :p

But, I have a question for all one-console owners (just playing Dev

I am really looking forward to WiiU, but I can't say I will be hopefully able to purchase one at launch or a few months afterwards.

To say it all, at the moment if I had a little more money I could do with a tablet and I also would like so much a Kindle - that is quite cheap right now - by the way I haven't purchased yet a 3DS and I have never owned any smartphones - I barely have a cheap mobile that I almost never use, I am a little broke right now lol.

Maxrunner

Does Iherre been here??i wonder if anyone asked him if they're getting as good (or better)as ps360 performance with the dev kits and still manage to stream to the upad....

Yes. I'm excited to see what Nintendo has up their sleeve with the Wii U. The games will be better. The 3rd party games will also be better, more variety. The Wii U controller will offer more options to the gamer.

Skiesofwonder

As a huge Nintendo fan I understand where you guys are coming from (I'm going to do everything in my power to own a Wii U as soon as possible), but most of your answers make no logical sense as a gaming fan. Wii only owners can buy an HD Console along with 20 or more awesome games you have never played for the amount of money it's going to take to buy a Wii U and two launch titles.

And the same can still be said for anybody who owns one-console/PC and is planning on upgrading to that companies next console without trying out what else is offered.

Sadist

As a huge Nintendo fan I understand where you guys are coming from (I'm going to do everything in my power to own a Wii U as soon as possible), but most of your answers make no logical sense as a gaming fan. One console/PC only-owners can buy an HD Console along with 20 or more awesome games you have never played for the amount of money it's going to take to buy a Wii U and two launch titles.
But what happens when you don't care enough about those games to buy a console for it? I don't think its worth the entry fee. For Wii U however, I might buy it for a higher price than a 360 or PS3, but for me it's a long term investment which will pay off as soon the Nintendo titles will trickle in. A Nintendo console has more value to me than a MS or Sony system, even with a few exclusive/console exclusive titles.

And the same can still be said for anybody who owns one-console/PC and is planning on upgrading to that companies next console without trying out what else is offered.
You assume we/I never played those games. I completed UC 2 for instance on a friends PS3.

Skiesofwonder

But what happens when you don't care enough about those games to buy a console for it? I don't think its worth the entry fee. For Wii U however, I might buy it for a higher price than a 360 or PS3, but for me it's a long term investment which will pay off as soon the Nintendo titles will trickle in. A Nintendo console has more value to me than a MS or Sony system, even with a few exclusive/console exclusive titles.

It does to me too.

But some people have missed out on ALL HD titles. You have had the chance to play them on the PC, but some people in here have basically played none of them. I'm just saying you can go out and get a Xbox 360 with a handful of quality titles for less then $200, and be able to buy tons more of quality titles you have never played for pretty darn cheap. Why miss out on that? Why buy the Wii U first for twice the price and a small but building library over something much cheaper with hundreds of quality titles that you have yet to play?

Sadist said:
You assume we/I never played those games. I completed UC 2 for instance on a friends PS3.

Once again, there is always exceptions. If you have access to the titles, then there is no need to actually buy the console yourself. My brother had a PS3 so I would just go over to his house and play whatever he had, or rent titles I wanted to play. Once I moved into my own place I decided to buy one because he lived so far away.

I'll always be a Nintendo dedicated handheld and console player, with PC being there for all the games I want to play that aren't released on Nintendo's hardware. For instance, I've stayed away from purchasing Arkham City for PC, because I want it on Wii U (though I've played and beaten it twice on my friends 360).

PetrCobra

As a huge Nintendo fan I understand where you guys are coming from (I'm going to do everything in my power to own a Wii U as soon as possible), but most of your answers make no logical sense as a gaming fan. Wii only owners can buy an HD Console along with 20 or more awesome games you have never played for the amount of money it's going to take to buy a Wii U and two launch titles.

I simply need that Wii U controller, it really is as easy as that. To me, the current HD twins offer nothing new aside of archaic imprecise FPS controls, a (supposedly) slightly advanced Wiimote clone with few supported games and a new interface that might be interesting for many people but I can't think of anything worth owning for it other than maybe Child of Eden.

Some of the big HD hits can be played on a PC, and the exclusive titles are still not enough to make it a better option than Wii U. At least for me. I might even be wrong as I was with the 3DS when I bought it on launch (worth it for the 20 free games though), but I never really regretted buying a Wii, so that makes me confident.

Once the Wii U comes out, my Wii and 360 are gone. There's nothing on the 360 and Wii I want to play this year.

There's two games I want to play on the Wii this year (and a third that already released and I own) Among 360 games, I'm definitely going to play AC3 (since there's no point in getting the PC version of an Ubisoft game if you value ownership), RE6, and the inevitable GOTY edition of SFxT.

Sagitario

There's two games I want to play on the Wii this year (and a third that already released and I own) Among 360 games, I'm definitely going to play AC3 (since there's no point in getting the PC version of an Ubisoft game if you value ownership), RE6, and the inevitable GOTY edition of SFxT.

It must be nice not having a backlog :(

I fully expect RE6 on the WiiU. If it's not happening I'll get it for the 360 and then abandon that console except for the obvious Halo 4 which is a must simply for the coop campaign.
Also, the only other game on 360 I want this year is Ghost Recon Future Soldier, as that one is probably not coming anytime soon to the Wii U seen as they want to push Ghost Recon online.

Other than that my Wii and probably 360 sans DVD playback and Halo 4 are going to be completely replaced once the Wii U comes out. I might get a PS3 along the way if my meager budget allows for it, but I wouldn't count on that. Not this year anyway.

Since the Wii U is backward compatible, it would make no sense to keep it around. I might give it to a friend though.

StevieP

Banned
Does Iherre been here??i wonder if anyone asked him if they're getting as good (or better)as ps360 performance with the dev kits and still manage to stream to the upad....

lherre popped by a couple pages ago. We joked around about how the Wii U was downgraded severely. A good time was had by all.

Roo

Once the Wii U comes out, my Wii and 360 are gone. There's nothing on the 360 and Wii I want to play this year.

Really? there are a few games coming to the 360 that I'm interested to play (but I don't have one lol)
I still need to clean up my backlog on Wii tho. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Sonic Colors, Super Paper Mario and finish Brawl and all the Primes religiously.

I fully expect RE6 on the WiiU. If it's not happening I'll get it for the 360 and then abandon that console except for the obvious Halo 4 which is a must simply for the coop campaign.
Also, the only other game on 360 I want this year is Ghost Recon Future Soldier, as that one is probably not coming anytime soon to the Wii U seen as they want to push Ghost Recon online.

Other than that my Wii and probably 360 sans DVD playback and Halo 4 are going to be completely replaced once the Wii U comes out. I might get a PS3 along the way if my meager budget allows for it, but I wouldn't count on that. Not this year anyway.

Since the Wii U is backward compatible, it would make no sense to keep it around. I might give it to a friend though.

Pretty similar position. My HD games that I feel the need to play this year are Mass Effect 3, Borderlands 2, and RE6. I think I'll play Borderlands 2 on the 360 because of the social aspect, but after that, it's going to be Wii U all the way.

Sadist

But some people have missed out on ALL HD titles. You have had the chance to play them on the PC, but some people in here have basically played none of them. I'm just saying you can go out and get a Xbox 360 with a handful of quality titles for less then $200, and be able to buy tons more of quality titles you have never played for pretty darn cheap. Why miss out on that? Why buy the Wii U first for twice the price and a small but building library over something much cheaper with hundreds of quality titles that you have yet to play?
Dunno. You're asking the wrong guy. :p

Btw (seeing the other discussions), I only wanted the Last Story this year but after the Project Zero II EU announcement I guess I'm buying two Wii titles this year. After those two are done, my Wii did a fine job of entaining me.

AzaK

It does to me too.

But some people have missed out on ALL HD titles. You have had the chance to play them on the PC, but some people in here have basically played none of them. I'm just saying you can go out and get a Xbox 360 with a handful of quality titles for less then $200, and be able to buy tons more of quality titles you have never played for pretty darn cheap. Why miss out on that? Why buy the Wii U first for twice the price and a small but building library over something much cheaper with hundreds of quality titles that you have yet to play?.

Same could be said about any gen. Why not get a ps2 or cube? I guess it could be because the Wii U will offer something very different in the way of gameplay and more services and will finally bring Nintendo into HD. If we go and buy a 360 that's still taking money away from Wii U and not everyone has heaps of disposable income. There was a time I could buy what I wanted.....then I became a dad :)

jacksrb

For me, it is more a matter of limited time. I have a hard time getting to everything on Wii, which wasn't asking too much for much of the lifecycle. When choosing a console, the Nintendo first party games plus the new gaming experiences Wii offered caused me to choose Wii.

I'm surprised there are people actually anticipating Arkham City...well I guess there is you peculiar Wii only owners :p

I'm not anticipating it, because I don't think they'll actually go through with it... but I'd definitely play it again if they put it on Wii-U.

I can imagine having the close-up batarang view on the uPad while keeping the action with batman on the upper screen... or having the crypto device's wavelengths / passwords appear on the uPad as well. You'd be able to flick through your Riddler clues while you hunt for them, apply an upgrade or look through your maps without having to pause... detective view on the uPad with analog or gyro control for looking around could be pretty sweet. Maybe first person controls for aiming the zipwire thing... I can imagine gyro might feel nice for gliding as well. Even if they just let me play the normal game in the palm of my hand while someone else uses the TV -- that would be pretty awesome.

If they do bother to release it, it needs to have sensible pricing relative to the effort they put in and all of the catwoman etc DLC.

It does to me too.

Maybe because the 360 & PS3 are(imo) overpriced considering it is likely we will see a successor to at least one of them in the next year. I know I want to get another 360(to replace my RROD one) so I can play KoA:R but in the UK at least, it just isn't worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom