• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Ah yes, I had forgotten that Capcom have bent the knee to Nintendo..

Nintendo should be pleased that the full might of Ubisoft appears to be on their side..

*looks at Capcom & Ubi's Wii games*
*looks at Capcom & Ubi's PS360 games*

Really? Not buying it quite yet.

When we see actual games on the shelves, I'll buy it. But these two have some penance to do as far as I'm concerned. Especially Ubi, who came out and apologized to Wii owners for crap games and then followed-up their apology with.. more crap games.

royalan

The fact that they can sqeeze out a game such as skyward sword on an upgraded tech from 1998 would only show how much nintendo is capable of using the hardware to its fullest. I wouldn't be surprised that the guys who did the zelda demo were using hardware that was even lower in power than the 360 but are still able to produce a better looking and moving game than all 360 games at the moment. Imagine what they will be able to do when they are using assets at a much higher quality.

You have to remember that nintendo already has their artists doing high resolution assets. Those other devs who stumbled are not as good as nintendo plain and simple. It might be better to give nintendo more credit with regards to programming skills and maybe give less credit to middleware for making games on a phoned in engine look as good (or as bad) as they do. I do agree with that nintendo will partner with some companies for some projects, but Nintendo doing this will alo provide these developers extra help releasing some of their knowledge. I can see nintendo once again having a very big advantage about the knowledge of the hardware so they must partner to give other middleware developers a way of making it easier for the rest of the smaller developers.

It is important for nintendo to make one or two really visually stunning games such as zelda, mario and metroid but what nintendo needs to do is make it easy for the developers to make even more visually stunning games as they do not have the prestige or experience in game mechanics that nintendo games are known to be good for which brings good competition and variety for the consumer. Having good competion will ensure a healthy ecosystem for the platform and might quash the nintendo third party curse. I believe this is why nintendo is teaming up with outside developers such as crytek, vigil, and 4A games to release games on the WiiU early to show other developers what can be done by other developers not just nintendo. Having other publishers also getting in early such as EA, THQ and Ubisoft being able to already come up with new and exciting ideas for existing franchises will also help the smaller developers gain some confidence in maybe bringing their upcoming games to the platform

I dunno...We'll see. I still think there's no substitute for real-world experience, and Nintendo doesn't have much of that when it comes to HD development and all that entails (team size, budget, timelines, etc...). But Nintendo's one of the best, so I don't doubt their ability to adapt.

Their first round of games will really be a good indicator how prepared their teams are for HD development.

StevieP

Banned
Yes but aren't pc games these days held back by consoles. So I don't get the point really. 720 games won't be held back by anything.

They will be held back by the hardware in the Durango that, no matter how optimistic you are, isn't going to match today's top end PCs. The Witcher 2 certainly wasn't designed with the 360 in mind, as an example, and yet there it is.

Those games came out on the pc and RUN on cards over 10x the power of the xbox 360 just to make them look ok yet they are still coming out for the xbox 360. His question is basically that if Skyrim, BF3, and Witcher 2 on pc really look like a next generation leap in graphics comparable to what we will see on PS4 and XBOXnext, then why is it possible to make them on xbox360 and ps3 yet people are saying the that PS4 and XBOXnext games cannot be ported to WiiU even though it will be more powerful?

This. BF3 alone looks orders of magnitude better on PC than it does on the consoles, and yet... there it is. That's the beauty of scalability.

Coolwhip

Banned
They will be held back by the hardware in the Durango that, no matter how optimistic you are, isn't going to match today's top end PCs. The Witcher 2 certainly wasn't designed with the 360 in mind, as an example, and yet there it is.

How do you know they didn't develop TW2 with porting it to the 360 in mind? That would be poor planning. And we don't know how much effort and money that port took.

Coolwhip

Banned
Did Crytek make Crysis 1 with the PS360 in mind?

Yes! No but really, the same question here. How much money/effort did that Crysis 1 port take? Porting it to the PS360 makes a lot of sense now. But does porting something from PC/720/PS4 to WiiU make sense? Especially if it would cost a lot of money to do so. That's what I'm wondering.

Soroc

Did Crytek make Crysis 1 with the PS360 in mind?

Good Point. I think I remember way back before Crysis came out, Crytek saying it was impossible on 360, several years later it is a possibility. This shit is all scalable just gotta have the same programming language and shaders and all that jazz that I don't have any experience with lol

Yes! No but really, the same question here. How much money/effort did that Crysis 1 port take? Porting it to the PS360 makes a lot of sense now. But does porting something from PC/720/PS4 to WiiU make sense? Especially if it would cost a lot of money to do so. That's what I'm wondering.

It all depends on market share. If Wii U takes off damn right they will think its profitable.

The Wii had a pretty ok market share :>

Thats different, the Wii was functionally unable to get ports from the big third party multiplats and most dev houses were well into their first (or even second for some) cycle of games before the Wii hit it big.

WiiU will be at the very least able to get downscaled versions even if it is well below the power of PS4/720 aand it is launching first so the first sets of multiplats I would assume to be WiiU lead games with higher setting/resolution versions for the other 2.

...This shit is all scalable just gotta have the same programming language and shaders and all that jazz...

It all depends on market share. If Wii U takes off damn right they will think its profitable.

This. Wii suffered from lack of scalable features that did not allow proper downports without too much extra work or a compeltely groundup workaround. The WiiU will not suffer from this at all not even one bit. PC games have to be scalable to cater for a variety of cards and platforms such as AMD and nvidia from a $60 card like a 6570 to a $600 card like a 6990 which is 10x more powerful than a 6570 games will have to be designed to be scalable to allow for maximum exposure and maximum potential profits. The 6570 is already 2.5 times more powerful than an xbox 360 just by comparision and the xbox 360 is still getting a downport of the 360 games so even that says a lot since a 6990 is almost 30X more powerful than a 360.

I am a bit of a graphics horse when it comes to PC so I do not play games released on xbox 360 or PS3 if I can just get them for PC on steam for a fraction of the price using my own proprietry choices and control methods. However, even being like this I do not feel that the games on PC being far more superior will not take away the majority of the experience for those using xbox360 or PS3 even though it will suffer 30fps, sub hd, Alisasing that can cut french bread, auto aim that makes chuck norris cry, input lag, paid multiplayer, blurry textures, and a higher price point of entry. Having it on WiiU will not diminish a games ability to be ported from PC even PS4 and XBOXnext games will have to get a downgrade of some sort to match what the PC version will have even though they won't be released for a while. I say port everything so everyone can experience the game. Not everyone is like me.

What is important, is that console only games provide unique features that only that console can provide in terms of user experience and that can come in the form of control methods different DLC Local multiplayer and exclusive features not on the PC. You do not need power for that, just some ingenuity and innovation which is actually very hard to come by. I believe that The Wii Remote, Kinect, Move and The Subscreen are what the consoles can use to provide a rich experience. That is why I buy consoles and why I enjoy playing those games and WiiU will be just the perfect platform for these experiences in my view.

AzaK

There's a rumor going around that Crytek will be showing a CryEngine Wii U demo behind closed doors at GDC.

We'll probably not find out either way if it actually happened, but I would go ahead and label this as pretty damn credible.

Alberto has friends in the industry and has been correct before.
Maybe, but his eyes are too far apart for my liking.

6Tlzl.gif

Ooo yeah!

FreeMufasa

Guess I won't use the WiiUs size as a reason for it being weak now. After playing the Vita, WiiU has enough space to go far beyond the PS360.

shnord

Neo Member
Been looking through some Nintendo patents (and applications) and found this, with Publication Date, Feb. 23, 2012. (filed at Aug, 12 2011)

Can someone confirm if any Wii U\pad patents, included the 3DS in the past?

I'm sure they've mentioned it at some point (3DS as a WiiU controller) but has it been used in a patent before?
How does the file date compare to Wii U patents? (Haven't really been paying attention to any of the patents.) If it's before any Wii U patents, Nintendo could have just been using the 3DS as a placeholder graphic. Unless it specifically states something like "method by which a portable gaming system can be used as an input device for a home console, blah blah" it's not necessarily confirmation. Even if it does say something like that, it doesn't necessarily mean Nintendo has to use it. But yeah, I'm sure they've mentioned it and I totally expect it to happen.

Guess I won't use the WiiUs size as a reason for it being weak now. After playing the Vita, WiiU has enough space to go far beyond the PS360.

Size is only a problem when talking about heat.
Which can be offset by having good displacement.
Two fans (one intake and one output), heatsinks, and the case itself will all go a long way to cool the system regardless of what it has inside.

frostbyte

This thread has so many ups and downs. Seriously, from Arkam's news to Crytek having a demo on Wii U.

Don't know if I should be hyped or dehyped :/

This thread has so many ups and downs. Seriously, from Arkam's news to Crytek having a demo on Wii U.

Be hyped for Nintendo having a new system which means a whole new slew of awesome game ideas.

That's really the only reason anyone should be hyped.

StevieP

Banned
This. Wii suffered from lack of scalable features that did not allow proper downports without too much extra work or a compeltely groundup workaround. The WiiU will not suffer from this at all not even one bit. PC games have to be scalable to cater for a variety of cards and platforms such as AMD and nvidia from a $60 card like a 6570 to a $600 card like a 6990 which is 10x more powerful than a 6570 games will have to be designed to be scalable to allow for maximum exposure and maximum potential profits. The 6570 is already 2.5 times more powerful than an xbox 360 just by comparision and the xbox 360 is still getting a downport of the 360 games so even that says a lot since a 6990 is almost 30X more powerful than a 360.

I am a bit of a graphics horse when it comes to PC so I do not play games released on xbox 360 or PS3 if I can just get them for PC on steam for a fraction of the price using my own proprietry choices and control methods. However, even being like this I do not feel that the games on PC being far more superior will not take away the majority of the experience for those using xbox360 or PS3 even though it will suffer 30fps, sub hd, Alisasing that can cut french bread, auto aim that makes chuck norris cry, input lag, paid multiplayer, blurry textures, and a higher price point of entry. Having it on WiiU will not diminish a games ability to be ported from PC even PS4 and XBOXnext games will have to get a downgrade of some sort to match what the PC version will have even though they won't be released for a while. I say port everything so everyone can experience the game. Not everyone is like me.

What is important, is that console only games provide unique features that only that console can provide in terms of user experience and that can come in the form of control methods different DLC Local multiplayer and exclusive features not on the PC. You do not need power for that, just some ingenuity and innovation which is actually very hard to come by. I believe that The Wii Remote, Kinect, Move and The Subscreen are what the consoles can use to provide a rich experience. That is why I buy consoles and why I enjoy playing those games and WiiU will be just the perfect platform for these experiences in my view.

My favourite part. haha

Mainly from an animation perspective.

That demo prioritizes animation over functionality. 3D Zeldas traditionally do the opposite.

It's not a hardware issue, it's more of a "That's not what Zelda looks like" issue.

ReyVGM

That demo prioritizes animation over functionality. 3D Zeldas traditionally do the opposite.

It's not a hardware issue, it's more of a "That's not what Zelda looks like" issue.

Yeah, well, that's obvious. I thought you were talking about graphics, not artistic interpretation of what the new Zelda might be like.

I'm just excited to see the world that can be created with HD assets and bluray sized disk space. I stick to my theory that the next zelda will be more open world/seamless. Not like Skyrim, but like Dark Souls in the way the different dungeons are seamlessly placed in difference parts of one big world.

So many possibilities.

Combine

Banned

Well, I thought Skyward Sword had exceptional animation, especially in the cutscenes.

jay

Read special guy's and ace's posts back to back and they will neutralize each other and you will be safe.

Reposting:

Gamecube (It should be wind waker, but then it wouldn't match)
zelda-2.png
Except that one's total BS and shouldn't have been included. We got Wind Waker, notTwilight Princess. If you're going to include Twilight Princess, you should show what we first saw of Twilight Princess

The WiiU games may potentially look awesome, at least judging from that demo, OK, but I don't think all the games will be developed taking advantage 100% of the hardware; I reckon there are huge costs to be taken into some consideration, and I would not put my expectations too high in that regard.

wrowa

I'm sick of these Zelda gifs and I'm sick of the Zelda comparision picture.

Nintendo, finally show something new, so that people can finally stop to re-use the same stuff over and over and over and over again in an endless circle.

I think in-game/in-engine cutscenes that have minimal control but not QTE to start off major battles will blend seemlessly with the gameplay. I think this is one thing nintendo will apply by having more power at their disposal. They can use that Gym for mor ethan just nintendo-direct presentations. They did this in previous zelda's in a minimal sense during boss battles and when giving clues when entering a puzzle in a dungeon so I think it will be used more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom