• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizzity

It SHOULD be true, dammit. "Wii U" has been criticized as sounding like a revision, and rightly so IMO. The U (you) is similar enough to Wii (we) that it would retain the familiarity and momentum of the Wii brand. Calling it just Nintendo U would be perfect.

The Wii sold like crazy but "Wii" does have a stigma attached to the hardcore gamers it's trying to court (casual, died early). Plus a tablet with a touch screen and a bunch of buttons is pretty far removed from the simple Wii remote waggle concept. "Nintendo U" would be a smart name I think, but what do I know.

In fact, announcing it as Wii U to get the branding tied in and then dropping it to U could have been a strategy all along. No reason to believe any of this is true, but I like the idea.

In my personal opinion, I think Nintendo really needs to keep the Wii in the brand and on the box. It will be their biggest selling point with casuals. They just need to market it as such. Market blitz the new "Wii U" the same way Apple does when a new iPad comes out and Nintendo will have the sales and the money to court 3rd parties to get the hardcores to buy it. There's no reason for casuals and hardcores to be at odds over a system, and Nintendo may be on the right strategy to achieve that in the end.

Nintendo used to release counts for the number of million sellers for each of there systems during the financial results briefings. They haven't done that list since the end of last fiscal year. At that time there were 243 worldwide million sellers for the two "Nintendo platforms this generation," 161 of those being third party titles. Given the extra year, claiming "'about' 200" titles should be close enough.

Oh, wow. This was fiscal year ending thing. So we should get another of those in a couple days, no?

EDarkness

I see someone made a thread about the Crysis 3 BS. Man, I guess that helps people push their agenda. Either way, I would not be surprised if Crysis 3 eventually made it to the Wii U. There's simply no reason for it not to. Considering that people can't announce games anyway, no point in getting up in arms about it.

Shurayuki

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iPA0iD18zrk - Anyone else see this? Nintendo U rename for Wii U. (Rumor/Fake probably) Sorry if this is a repost.

I know it' not really needed at this point because it's so obviously fake anyways, but I wanted to point out that the Japanese written there is pretty...weird for an announcement. Seems like google translate or something (uploader account is called japanglish? yeah fitting haha).
I'll have to drive-by this but I just wanted to point out that "この冬来る" doesn't look very much like anything japanese people would write, in fact putting "coming this winter" into google translate put's out that phrase. It's missing a particle that should be there and using 来る "coming" is weird itself (should be 発売 "release" or smth.).

Uh yeah. As always smart people feel free to shoot me down (StreetsAhead and Dcharlie popped in why didn't anybody ask them :lol).

Do I get a lollipop now? =3

AzaK

It SHOULD be true, dammit. "Wii U" has been criticized as sounding like a revision, and rightly so IMO. The U (you) is similar enough to Wii (we) that it would retain the familiarity and momentum of the Wii brand. Calling it just Nintendo U would be perfect.

The Wii sold like crazy but "Wii" does have a stigma attached to the hardcore gamers it's trying to court (casual, died early). Plus a tablet with a touch screen and a bunch of buttons is pretty far removed from the simple Wii remote waggle concept. "Nintendo U" would be a smart name I think, but what do I know.

In fact, announcing it as Wii U to get the branding tied in and then dropping it to U could have been a strategy all along. No reason to believe any of this is true, but I like the idea.

When put next to Nintendo Wii a Nintendo U sounds cheezy I think. People will go, "So you named the successor to the Wii, U? Lame". And they'll also ask, "If Wii was about We, is it not about We any more?

I know it' not really needed at this point because it's so obviously fake anyways, but I wanted to point out that the Japanese written there is pretty...weird for an announcement. Seems like google translate or something (uploader account is called japanglish? yeah fitting haha).
I'll have to drive-by this but I just wanted to point out that "この冬来る" doesn't look very much like anything japanese people would write, in fact putting "coming this winter" into google translate put's out that phrase. It's missing a particle that should be there and using 来る "coming" is weird itself (should be 発売 "release" or smth.).

Uh yeah. As always smart people feel free to shoot me down (StreetsAhead and Dcharlie popped in why didn't anybody ask them :lol).

Do I get a lollipop now? =3

Yeah it should say something like 冬発売 at the very least.
The Japanese is very weird. Would have said something if anyone had believed it, but since everyone realised it was fake, didn't seem worth it.

A big ol' lollipop for you. :D

Shurayuki

Yeah it should say something like 冬発売 at the very least.
The Japanese is very weird. Would have said something if anyone had believed it, but since everyone realised it was fake, didn't seem worth it.

A big ol' lollipop for you. :D

Yeah.
Thanks for verifying!
It's just that it was brought up for the 3rd time already so I figured giving people an even bigger plank to bonk people over the head with would be worth it.

Waaai!
These threads have to break all gaf speed posting records!

Yeah.
Thanks for verifying!
It's just that it was brought up for the 3rd time already so I figured giving people an even bigger plank to bonk people over the head with would be worth it.

Perhaps the next Wii U Speculation Thread should be subtitled "We already heard the news".

Waaai!
These threads have to break all gaf speed posting records!

Gimme a thread you think might beat it, and I'll give you a pretty graph comparing them. :)

In my personal opinion, I think Nintendo really needs to keep the Wii in the brand and on the box. It will be their biggest selling point with casuals. They just need to market it as such. Market blitz the new "Wii U" the same way Apple does when a new iPad comes out and Nintendo will have the sales and the money to court 3rd parties to get the hardcores to buy it. There's no reason for casuals and hardcores to be at odds over a system, and Nintendo may be on the right strategy to achieve that in the end.

Agreed. People think the name is confusing, but as long as Nintendo gets the marketing right... and makes a better logo... aaand gives the boring console design a *little* something extra... then the public will know it's a new thing. They're hardly guaranteed to do all three things, but I'm hopeful they might.

I've been a fiend to these threads, but I think it's time to go on a media blackout until E3 for me. The second coming will be more exciting without the leaky knowledge. Plus this addiction to "news" cannot possibly be healthy ;)
Anyway... keep this party alive will ya guys!!

HylianTom

Banned
Just a fair warning: if the year-end earnings report is as bad as Nintendo predicted several months ago, then be prepared for lots of doomy talk, a healthy number of wishes for third-party status and/or death, and perhaps a thread or three on the topic.

Steel yourselves, folks.

Penguin

Just a fair warning: if the year-end earnings report is as bad as Nintendo predicted several months ago, then be prepared for lots of doomy talk, a healthy number of wishes for third-party status and/or death, and perhaps a thread or three on the topic.

Steel yourselves, folks.

Why do you have to steel yourself?
I mean I get the news/talk gets annoying, but people will think it no matter what.

Redford

aka Cabbie

Steel yourselves, folks.

Can't get better until it gets...worse, then it gets better...? Ah well, if it's a bad report, no doubt we're in for some positive bomb-drops to cover it up.

snesfreak

Banned

Steel yourselves, folks.
So it'll be just like any other day on GAF?

I've been a fiend to these threads, but I think it's time to go on a media blackout until E3 for me. The second coming will be more exciting without the leaky knowledge. Plus this addiction to "news" cannot possibly be healthy ;)
Anyway... keep this party alive will ya guys!!

It would be a lot smarter if you went on blackout after the 26th. There's going to be a shitton of Nintendo posts in just two days. (edit: by that I mean new threads taking over the first page of Gaming)

Steel yourselves, folks.

If the losses are worse than expected but the shipment (of the 3DS, particularly) numbers are strong, I think it'd be actually a bit more positive than if numbers were not as bad but shipments were lower. Lower earnings on good sales would imply to me that there's more R&D and dealings with third parties going on.

I am wondering how much their "Free Middleware, Y'all!" policy is actually biting into their bottom line.

Glass Joe

When put next to Nintendo Wii a Nintendo U sounds cheezy I think. People will go, "So you named the successor to the Wii, U? Lame". And they'll also ask, "If Wii was about We, is it not about We any more?

I think Wii U sounds cheesier than just "Nintendo U" and about as cheesy as "Xbox" and "Xbox 360" as well. Hell, "Wii" is sorta corny. You do have a point with "no longer about We," which crossed my mind after I typed.

I guess it comes down to marketing strategy. Wii (we) focused heavily on multiplayer gaming with initial advertising - the kind of multiplayer that puts everyone together in a living room. Is the U the same thing with only 1 tablet and (presumably) a strong online strategy? Then again if Nintendo is expecting Wii remotes to be used extensively, I can see why they'd want to keep Wii as prominent as possible. I suppose it will make more sense when there's actual software to talk about. But just personally, I think "Nintendo U" is a cleaner, stronger name.

I don't like things that conflict. And We You conflicts. But maybe that's what Nintendo likes about it? It worked for Icy Hot.

Man, the emphatic "NOs" from Crytek, Kojima, Levine, et. al are bringing me down. Someone remind me what games this thing does have again. Ninja Gaiden 3? They should just cancel it if most accounts of its quality are to be believed.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Can't get better until it gets...worse, then it gets better...? Ah

Remember the last guy who said something like that?

lRxeQ.jpg

Let's just say it did NOT work out.

It would be a lot smarter if you went on blackout after the 26th. There's going to be a shitton of Nintendo posts in just two days. (edit: by that I mean new threads taking over the first page of Gaming)

If the losses are worse than expected but the shipment (of the 3DS, particularly) numbers are strong, I think it'd be actually a bit more positive than if numbers were not as bad but shipments were lower. Lower earnings on good sales would imply to me that there's more R&D and dealings with third parties going on.

I am wondering how much their "Free Middleware, Y'all!" policy is actually biting into their bottom line.

I figure they probably have gigantic volume license deals where "free" actually means "included in the cost of the dev kit." because it's such a huge license, it's dirt cheap for them.

Pretty amazing what knd of deals you get when you're a gigantic company like Nintendo.

Redford

aka Cabbie
C'mon 3DS revision... I want to play SM3DL so damn bad.

Remember the last guy who said something like that?

Let's just say it did NOT work out.

:lololol This place pretty much is that movie sometimes. People wanting to see the world burn and whatnot. :p

Aahh.. true dat. Indeed.

Say, when does Sony announce? I remember it being generally before Nintendo announces, but (A) my memory sucks, and (B) I see that the Internet is telling me it's not until middle of next month. Is this true?

Microsoft announced results, and I updated the spreadsheet. Their "Entertainment and Devices Division" posted a loss of $229m, bringing the Xbox 360 overall profitability total (sans R&D, ignoring non-gaming items of the division) down to about a quarter million dollars.

Is it wrong of me to suspect massive R&D expenditures being the primary reason? Taken alone, their gaming stuff should be very profitable right now, I would think.

BlackJace

So Super Smash Bros. 4 is going to sell like, 2 copies now because of PlayStation All-Stars, right?

Oh god, I can see it now.

"HA Nintendo you're finished! I'm sorry, but this beats Smash in every way."

"It's so amazing how Sony can be so innovative as to do this with their amazing first party characters!"

"This a game for REAL fighting game fans. Sick of that casual mash fest."

"Look at those graphics son!"

I'm sure someone else has already answered this but what info did we get from the last one of these?

The most recent one told us that Wii U would have NFC and confirmed individual user accounts

Say, when does Sony announce? I remember it being generally before Nintendo announces, but (A) my memory sucks, and (B) I see that the Internet is telling me it's not until middle of next month. Is this true?

Microsoft announced results, and I updated the spreadsheet. Their "Entertainment and Devices Division" posted a loss of $229m, bringing the Xbox 360 overall profitability total (sans R&D, ignoring non-gaming items of the division) down to about a quarter million dollars.

Is it wrong of me to suspect massive R&D expenditures being the primary reason? Taken alone, their gaming stuff should be very profitable right now, I would think.

I think I saw it said Sony was in early May. And I would definitely attribute that to R&D IMO.

Thanks for the tip. Do you think we'll get any big news from the investors meeting?

It seems weird to me how the Big N needs to placate dumb investors like they do, when most of the shareholders are Yamauchis and Nintendo employees. Why do they need to please the short-term investors? I don't know much about the stock market. Could Nintendo technically buy back all the stock out there, go private and just roll with their own master plan?

Somnia

Man, the emphatic "NOs" from Crytek, Kojima, Levine, et. al are bringing me down. Someone remind me what games this thing does have again. Ninja Gaiden 3? They should just cancel it if most accounts of its quality are to be believed.

I wouldn't let it bother you, a lot of games are already pretty far in development where it would just take away resources from smaller teams (those 3 arent exactly HUGE teams, but not really small either). It does NOT mean we won't get like Bioshock Infinite GOTY one day, not the same, but thats out there. Now titles coming out next holiday should be there no matter what.

Thanks for the tip. Do you think we'll get any big news from the investors meeting?

It seems weird to me how the Big N needs to placate dumb investors like they do, when most of the shareholders are Yamauchis and Nintendo employees. Why do they need to please the short-term investors? I don't know much about the stock market. Could Nintendo technically buy back all the stock out there, go private and just roll with their own master plan?

I'm expecting additional information about their network services. They should also give some additional 3DS information which may give us some clues. Maybe they'll namedrop some of the big franchises that are first in line for their Wii U development, but it'll be vague, like "We will be making a game starring Mario as well as a followup to one of our more popular 3DS titles".

It would be an excellent opportunity to announce the name change. Do it Nintendo! Your shareholders will thank you for alleviating the brand confusion.

I agree! One of the questions in a recent Q&A even dealt w/ the brand confusion (I believe in regards to the form factor of the 3DS) and Iwata's response was basically that he'd take it under advisement.

I wouldn't let it bother you, a lot of games are already pretty far in development where it would just take away resources from smaller teams (those 3 arent exactly HUGE teams, but not really small either). It does NOT mean we won't get like Bioshock Infinite GOTY one day, not the same, but thats out there. Now titles coming out next holiday should be there no matter what.

Is it also possible that after 5 years or so of PS360/PC development, some devs are optimized for that scenario and just don't have/didn't plan for the time or resources (man power, budget, etc) required to build/port another SKU, especially once development has passed a certain point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom