• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
How likely will publishers provide a digital code bundled along with a physical copy?

I would still like to own the case a d disc, but not have to swap the discs in and out.

I could ripping of discs and potentially lower piracy if publishers go this route.

udivision

Nintendo isn't pricing retail codes. They will certainly price their own games on their own service though, as in, buying them directly and avoiding retail entirely. If they weren't, who else would be?

You can't buy directly from Nintendo.

That's what I've been trying to explain.

That's Nintendo's spin on the DD thing. That's how they're going to make sure retailers aren't going to run away or complain about DD. The retailers will be doing the DD.

Iwata said:
As you can see, Nintendo sells its digital download products to its retailers, and the retailers sell them to the consumers.

In this case, retailers are going to decide the retail prices of our digital download products, which have been decided by Nintendo so far. Nintendo will not be involved in the retailer’s retail price decision. Also, Nintendo has so far been shouldering the billing and the settlement costs at the Nintendo eShop business, but with this system, just like the ordinary packaged products, Nintendo will not shoulder these costs.

Nibel

But guise I expected that Wii U online is going to be a wild west for thiefs like EA and Activision who can do what they heck they want

Guys? Guise?

That's Nintendo's spin on the DD thing. That's how they're going to make sure retailers aren't going to run away or complain about DD. The retailers will be doing the DD.

Hopefully I can get codes online or through the eShop. I don't see why retailers can't have access and be integrated to the cashier in eShop.

Hell, maybe they'll provide a linking/gifting functionality online through their own websites.

I think Udivision is explaining It differently or wrong then I have no problem understanding that.

Yea man I think by DD Iwata is talking about the codes in actual stores not online. Either that or we're talking about 2 different things lol

udivision

Everyone's making the completely reasonable assumption that Nintendo will sell to us directly, but I think there's evidence to the contrary coming straight from the horses mouth.

If codes are generated at the POS, then the retailers don't need to buy a certain number of codes in advance, right? They basically act as a middle-man between Nintendo and the costumer, buying the code at a wholesale price and then deciding what to charge the customer.

If that is correct, then we will NEVER see bomba digital codes in stores. Games end up in bargain bins for clearance reasons. If the store doesn't own the codes, merely a way to facilitate a digital sale, they will never have a surplus (hence low risk) and will never have a reason to sell below wholesale price.

Everyone's making the completely reasonable assumption that Nintendo will sell to us directly, but I think there's evidence to the contrary coming straight from the horses mouth.

People won't bother with eShop anymore if they can't buy directly from the online system.

And if will be confusing that only some games will be directly purchasable and some not.

Banjoman

Tonight I dreamed about the conference. Cammie Dunaway returned and Miyamoto wore a pair of giant sunglasses. They didn't announce a single game but the crowd was unleashed. The people loved those sunglasses.

udivision

People won't bother with eShop anymore if they can't buy directly from the online system.

And if will be confusing that only some games will be directly purchasable and some not.
I mean that you can't go into the eShop and buy Mario Kart for 59.99 from Nintendo.
You can go into the eshop and buy it for 59.99 from Wal-Mart.

Iwata said:
Naturally, consumers can digitally buy packaged software at the Nintendo eShop. However, if only the consumers who proactively visit the Nintendo eShop are aware of the digital download software that we deploy, there is no chance that our digital business can drastically expand.

The digitally downloaded software will be stored in the consumer’s SD memory card and be playable only with the hardware to which it was downloaded so that, unlike how you can share the packaged software which are stored in game card format, the consumer cannot share the software with other Nintendo 3DS systems owned by other members of the family or friends. Also, vacant space in SD memory card is needed in order to store the digital download software. On the other hand, as consumers can purchase the software through the Internet, they do not have to visit the retail outlets, be concerned about an out-of-stock situation or even carry around multiple game cards in order to play digitally downloaded counterparts when they are away from home. Nintendo publishes various titles that enable you to enjoy daily communication, such as “nintendogs,” “Animal Crossing” and “Tomodachi Collection,” in addition to the ones like “Onitore” (temp.), with which you might like to practice every day, and database-type software like “Hana to Ikimono Rittai Zukan” (sold in Japan only). It must be easier for the Nintendo 3DS owners to feel the merit of being able to carry around only the Nintendo 3DS system with, in particular, these kinds of software titles stored inside. As for other kinds of software, users who like to play different game titles in turn on one Nintendo 3DS system should feel that this option is handy. Nintendo will ensure to properly explain to consumers the different merits associated with the packaged software and the digital download software so that they can make the purchase decision they prefer.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I thought Iwata implied retail digital distribution was an option, not the only means of buying titles digitally. And honestly, until it's a officially detailed, I don't buy that that they wont sell their games directly. There's no reason not to when they're already doing it with eShop/WiiWare games.

I mean that you can't go into the eShop and buy Mario Kart for 59.99 from Nintendo.
You can go into the eshop and buy it for 59.99 from Wal-Mart.

No, I don't think that's what Iwata is talking about. I'm pretty sure he means you will go to Wal-Mart and buy the code there, then download the product. You wont be able to buy games from Wal-Mart via the eShop.

BurntPork

Banned
Tonight I dreamed about the conference. Cammie Dunaway returned and Miyamoto wore a pair of giant sunglasses. They didn't announce a single game but the crowd was unleashed. The people loved those sunglasses.
I can read dreams. This one means that you want to try bungie jumping while eating a ham sandwich.

Nibel

Don't tell me he wore his sunglasses of truth?!

Lyh3R.png

watershed

Banned
I dont't get how there is any confusion regarding DD. Iwata laid out 3 options:

Buy a physical retail package
Buy a retail DD code
Buy DD off the eshop

Pretty simple in my mind.

Zarovitch

I'm pretty sure that

1. You can buy a card from a retailer (at their price) to download the game in the eshop.
or
2. You buy a box game from retailer.
or
3. You buy from the eshop directly, at the price decide by Nintendo.

gamestop sells eshop codes already for some 3DS titles and they are still sold by Nintendo online. Having to go thru retail as the only means to buy digital defeats the purpose. I see how iwata's words can seem like NCL won't sell nintendo games on the eshop, but the ground work is already there, so why abandon it? The retail spin is just another option for consumers and a bid to not cut retail totally out of the picture.

Nibel

There is no store here that has eShop cards - yeah, I haven't even played one of those games on my 3DS. And I don't find them online for whatever crazy reason.

Yea, you don't have to physically visit the retail outlet and you can just buy games from the eShop. It's just that nintendo's not deciding the price of the software beyond the MSRP.

You're reading way too much into this.
It says, in black and white, you can purchase games through the eShop.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm pretty sure that

1. You can buy a card from a retailer (at their price) to download the game in the eshop.
or
or

I think you're right.
I think that the option 1 is done to:

1) involve retailers into the digital market, let they think that they are still important :p
2) push the in store marketing-promotion of a game also under the DD side of thing, and not a generic "MS points card"

udivision

You're reading way too much into this.
It says, in black and white, you can purchase games through the eShop.

yeah, got it

Cheesecakebobby brought up a good point though. What would a retailers incentive be to have a digital (code) sale? Has Nintendo ever had a VC/eShop sale beyond "free for first month?"

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
yeah, got it

Cheesecakebobby brought up a good point though. What would a retailers insensitive be to have a digital (code) sale? Has Nintendo ever had a VC/eShop sale beyond "free for first month?"

Their insensitive incentive would be competition. Be cheaper than the next guy and you'll make the sale.

emb

hey you guys,

5 weeks you guys

Iwata said:
We have learned the lesson that we have to make that kind of preparation for the Wii U, or the Wii U will not gain enough momentum to expand its sales. We would like to share additional information at the E3 show in June this year.

You will also notice a change in this situation when a richer Nintendo 3DS software lineup in the overseas markets is announced around the time of the E3 show.

I know it's just probably just talk, and nothing we haven't heard before, but man... 5 weeks.

nintendo could price its wiiu eshop downloads at $49.99, leave physical retail product at $59.99 and retail would keep dd codes in the middle. How 3rd parties handle dd retail codes for eshop is a whole different story.

Im pretty sure Nintendo will have eshop sales and all of that stuff with Wii U not much different from xbl. To be honest I think Nintendo straight up copied xbl in terms of functionality for Wii U's online infrastructure.

I'm pretty sure that

or
or

Thats what he said and nothing else. Why it would be any different i dont´t know because you know... there are even slides that say the exact same thing directly from Ninteno...

suracity

Didn't you read the whole thing?

I am pretty sure you can

1.Buy a physical copy at retailer
2.Buy a download code from retailer and the price is decided by retailer
3.Buy it at eShop directly and the price is same as the standard physical copy

Pociask

Good quote from the Q&A discussing the expanded audience concept:

Moreover, regrettably, what we prioritized in order to reach out to the new audience was a bit too far from what we prioritized for those who play games as their hobby. Consequently, we presume some people felt that the Wii was not a game system for them or they were not willing to play with the Wii even though some compelling games had been released. In comparison with what we did with the Nintendo DS and the Wii, with respect to your view this time that the introduction of the software that contributes to expanding the user base for the Nintendo 3DS platform is delayed, we are doing along the lines of what we intended to do to a certain extent. Once consumers have a notion that “this system is not for us,” we have learned that it is extremely difficult to change their perceptions later. Therefore, in promoting the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U, we have announced that we would like “width” and “depth” to coexist.

Nintendo knows what's up. All talk of the Wii U being merely equivalent to the PS360 would be completely contrary to their previously and now restated desire to reach out to the core gamer. I suspect, but of course have no way of knowing, that Nintendo's doing a Thanksgiving launch instead of a summer launch in order to launch the most powerful console possible at the price point and form factor they've selected.

And relevant to the hopeful wishing for DD sales:

We do not hold such a premise that digitally distributed software has less value. In fact, as we have discussed this with a number of software publishers around the world, we have found that their opinions are completely divided on the topic of the price points of the digital distribution of packaged software. Some publishers believe that the digital versions should be cheaper while others insist that both versions must be set at exactly the same price. So, it is not only Nintendo’s idea. Each publisher has various ideas on this point and, among them, Nintendo is now offering both versions at the same price point (the same suggested retail price).

people would joke about this but we have no idea who Nintendo's partners are, this is easier to swallow than Android though

PFFF its the Xbox erm WiiU Live Marketplace. Nintendo buys Microsoft. Announcement @ E3. Windows 8 to be renamed "MariOS". Heard it here first :)

I can out insane anybody anywhere. My insanity is and stays unmatched *muhahahaha*

I suspect, but of course have no way of knowing, that Nintendo's doing a Thanksgiving launch instead of a summer launch in order to launch the most powerful console possible at the price point and form factor they've selected.

There have already been retailer rumors plus a leaked internal GameStop email pointing towards a mid November release, summer doesn't seem likely if those pan out.

Pociask

There have already been retailer rumors plus a leaked internal GameStop email pointing towards a mid November release, summer doesn't seem likely if those pan out.

Oh, I agree with that. Also, no pricing at E3 pretty much guarantees that.

I was speculating more as to why Nintendo would delay the launch, when the Wii is obviously dead on the vine. I think(hope?) the answer is MOAR POWA.

You think that has ever stopped Tesco? They sold the 3DS at launch at less than wholesale price.
Supermarkets are dominating because they can afford loss leader strategies like that. Game retailers can't, look at the GAME group debacle. The only time I can see those retailers willing to take a loss on digital content is if they are bundled with hardware or something. I mean, what's the cheapest you have ever seen Microsoft or eShop points? And those are bought in advance so it is possible to build up a surplus, unlike this POSA notion

Goodlife

Would it be possible to hook retails up to a eShop system.... you pop into the shop, say "I'd like to buy the digital copy of New Super Mario Bros Mii please" they log into their eShop system and kick the download off to your machine, so by the time you get home, it's there waiting for you.

Nibel

PFFF its the Xbox erm WiiU Live Marketplace. Nintendo buys Microsoft. Announcement @ E3. Windows 8 to be renamed "MariOS". Heard it here first :)

I can out insane anybody anywhere. My insanity is and stays unmatched *muhahahaha*

I see you never read a BurntPork comment in a MC thread :lol

JK, BP <3

They even made unique DS and Wii versions of their CoDs; you will see BLOPS2 on Wii U
They didn't manage to get one out on 3DS during its first holiday season though, and that launched way earlier in the year. They might need more time to get to grips with Wii U... I wonder if we will see CoD on Wii U around the same time it surfaces on Vita.

Edit: having said that, I just remembered that CoD2 was a 360 launch title, so if porting is simple, it wouldn't be unprecedented to have it ready for Wii U launch either.

HylianTom

Banned
I suspect that they're going later so that their launch lineup can be as polished as possible. That, and they can claim that they're being friendly to third parties, giving them enough time to put the finishing touches on their products.

The main pressure to release early, I guess, would be that the earlier they launch, the more of a first-mover advantage they get on the console competition, as they'd have more time to sell more units. They'd also be able to spread-out game releases more throughout this calendar year, helping the sales prospects of the games that do make it out on time. But who knows.. they may feel confident enough such that this isn't as much of a consideration, perhaps?

To be a fly on the wall of their strategy sessions, just once.. it'd be fascinating, I'd bet!

I dunno.. I'm pretty damn good at the whole "insane, unapologetic fanman" thing. :p
(thankfully, I'm kinda okay at knowing when to hold my tongue!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom