• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine

Back in the '90/91 season I saved up my allowance money and bought the G&W version of Super Mario Bros (KMart had it on clearance so I was able to get it for only about 20 bucks) and that held me over for about 5 months until we bought our NES in April of 1991 later that year (I have a crazy good memory for these things). It's seriously the best LCD game I ever played, it had authentic scrolling platforming gameplay, separate worlds and even warp zones! I sold it in the lead up to getting the NES, but after many years I got nostalgic so I bought another one off eBay last summer, wasn't cheap this time. Here's a pic (system was mint but box is scuffed):

Are you me? The dates are wrong, but other than that

Game-Biz

I'm going with fake on this.

Same here.

fake.jpg

I feel its a bit hard to believe that Nintendo is stupid enough to post such information on their game release schedule where they don't post anything but games release date in full blown English.

I'm guessing this icon:
icon_wiiware.gif
is supposed to be WiiWare, which means it was probably used to create the impression that the news was Wii U-related (since there seems to be nothing else on this page dedicated to WiiWare, leaving a free icon to manipulate).

EDIT: Beaten like a peasant in the feudal system.

The page was very recently updated, today at 5:45:55 AM, but clearly not within the last hour, which just points even more to this being a hoax.

It'll become a real article somewhere, which will spur threads around the net, and a journalist will ask their Nintendo rep, and Nintendo will resort to its "we don't comment" stance.

Can't wait to see the NeoGAF thread soon. It might result in the first troll wave for the new thread.

This is the absolute best part of this Forum. Tiny trolls can because laughably huge in minutes.

It's completely fake. That's strictly a game release calendar, as evidenced by the absence of the year-end earnings release or the subsequent investor briefing.

People just want a DIFFERENT name. Wii U is an awful name.

Eh, I'm fine with it. It's no worse than "Xbox 360". I mean, what the hell?
It's normal for consoles to have names that make no sense or sound awkward -- the performance and coolness of the consoles make the names retroactively palatable

KageMaru

Do you guys really think having "Wii" anywhere in the title is a good idea though?

The DS in 3DS was the reason behind much of the confusion separating the 3DS to prior DS systems. I thought the reason rumors surfaced about a change to Wii-U's name was because Nintendo realized using "Wii" again in the name would be a mistake.

Why not just "Nintendo HD"? We already had NES, which many just called Nintendo back then, Super Nintendo, and Nintendo 64.

HylianTom

Banned
Eh, I'm fine with it. It's no worse than "Xbox 360". I mean, what the hell?
It's normal for consoles to have names that make no sense -- the performance and coolness of the consoles make the names retroactively palatable

XBOX360 sounds like something a middle-schooler came-up with. It makes me want to scream, "Okay, fellas.. you're trying too hard!"

Do you guys really think having "Wii" anywhere in the title is a good idea though?

Yes. Wii has strong branding, and anybody who doesn't like the name wouldn't like the system with a different name anyway -- it takes games of the right kind to get people to come around to a platform.

The DS in 3DS was the reason behind much of the confusion separating the 3DS to prior DS systems. I thought the reason rumors surfaced about a change to Wii-U's name was because Nintendo realized using "Wii" again in the name would be a mistake.

The 3DS is selling really well despite not changing its name. It happened to have been phenomenally overpriced for its first few months.

Why not just "Nintendo HD"? We already had NES, which many just called Nintendo back then, Super Nintendo, and Nintendo 64.

Because "HD" isn't the driving point of the system. It's like calling it "Nintendo Online" or "Nintendo Freemiddlewareforthirdpartydevelopers". Those are features that it has, yeah, but they don't define what the system is.

StevieP

Banned

The Wii is Nintendo's most successful console by leaps and bounds. It would be a mistake *not* to include the Wii name after a hundred million or so sales.

The 3DS was poorly advertised and poorly placed (i.e. 3DS games were mixed in with DS games at stores). When I went to buy an iPhone, I certainly knew the difference between the 4 and the 4s, despite their relatively minor upgrades (certainly the aesthetics were exact). Although I am an informed consumer, Apple certainly made these differences known via advertising.

Am I confident that Nintendo can hit it out of the park advertising the 'new' Wii? No. But to discard the success behind that name would be crazy in my opinion.

sphagnum

Banned

It's not that using Wii in the name would lead to brand confusion, it's that a vague add-on like "U" might not indicate to the general public that it's a new system. Same with the 3DS - it looks pretty much like any other DS, and considering the amount of DS remakes it just seems like a special 3D version of the DS.

Something like "Wii 2" is unambiguous and keeps the brand strength.

HylianTom

Banned
It's not that using Wii in the name would lead to brand confusion, it's that a vague add-on like "U" might not indicate to the general public that it's a new system. Same with the 3DS - it looks pretty much like any other DS, and considering the amount of DS remakes it just seems like a special 3D version of the DS.

Something like "Wii 2" is unambiguous and keeps the brand strength.

True. When the name difference is one character, that one character had better knock it out of the park. And to me at least, the U don't do it, despite the game naming tie-ins it creates.

I couldn't agree more about the U. It adds nothing to the name Wii and only adds confusing because Nintendo has abused the Wii name for all sorts of things like game names and pheriphal names.

It's no wonder people were confused it was just the name of the pad. Just call it Wii 2 and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom