• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hermit

So many WiiU rumour threads... I wonder why so many people are so eager to be disappointed at E3.
I have yet to hear a good rumour about Nintendo.

Kunan

I'm not even talking about MS and Sony unveiling or even hinting at new consoles. I think they would be stupid to do so.

What I'm talking about is An MS conference showing off their upcoming games and more stuff for the incredibly popular Kinect, a Sony conference showing off their upcoming games, most of which are the same as the 360's upcoming games, and cross functionality with the Vita and PS3.

And then there's Nintendo. Shouting "Buy our new system!" with mostly the same games we just saw in the previous two conferences, and a controller that's doing exactly what Sony just showed off the Vita can do and still isn't as cool as Kinect.

Going last this year is going to make Nintendo look like the "Hey me too guys! ME TOO!" company unless they have some crazy secret planned out.
I love how everyone keeps tooting the horn of Vita + PS3 does the same as Wii U, implying Sony will support it outside of a few middling titles. You know, like they do with every random technology like that. They have shown that, as a company, they have and continue to have 0 focus on anything whatsoever. They announce new hardware innovations to keep parity, but rarely explore them.

Now, since we've decided to start spinning why they moved: How about we spin it that Sony feels its easier to follow a Kinect-focused groan fest than to follow Nintendo? Do you really think Nintendo's going to barely announce any new games? If anything, MS is going to be the ones showing off a bunch of games we've already seen (ie. halo, fable, tomb raider, bioshock, etc.).

ASIS

Oh I know, but I just can't help myself. :p

In other news, I think the E3 Mario will be 3D, which as we all know is superior to 2D Mario by one whole D!

I know this is sarcastic but 3D Mario IS better than 2D... and largely because of that extra D :p

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
And we also forget that Miyamoto is working on a brand new IP. There's no evidence that his new IP won't release by end of the year.

How long have you traversed the Nintendo universe my friend? The fabled "Miyamoto is working on a new IP" is a yearly meme around gaming forums. I'm sure Nintendo will have a new intellectual property at E3, and Miyamoto may attach his supervisory name on to it. I think you will see something new from the EAD producers Katsuya Eguchi and Takao Shimizu.

Mario + Pikmin + WiiUSports would be a solid launch combo. I'm sure they'll also have some big third party exclusive to go along with it.

It depends how much of a launch window they have in 2012. If the hardware launches September-October, they can hold back NSMB or Pikmin for December. I think the better launch would be a Wii Sports game, a new original game, and perhaps a game from their western first-party developers. As long as you show NSMB and Pikmin as launch window games, it makes it just as effective.

Yay, I finished my little bash script that counts the posts per day on GAF threads. I just thought it'd be interesting to compare the posting performance on Thread 4 versus its predecessors.

There are still a few bugs to work out, and I have to optimize it for GAF's architecture (because, frankly, performance is looking a bit weaker than equivalent post counting titles on GameFAQs), but this will soon allow me to make pointless graphs, and that's really what Sales-age is all about.

WARNING: This is really, really pointless, but I had fun generating these, so now you have to suffer by briefly glancing at them. The charts are launch-aligned, so to speak.

Pointless chart said:
WUST_120416a.png

Note: This thread started really late in the day, and to compound it the results are using UTC instead of US-based time zones. This is why the first day looks like there were supply issues for the product, whereas Thread 3 followed a normal launch pattern of high initial results followed by a second period decline.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
"'I'm about to turn 60. I've been telling people within Nintendo: 'I'll have to retire at some point. Be prepared'"
Makes me so sad ):

I read somewhere that Japan have a cultural thing about retiring at 60. It's not like the West where people can choose to stay on longer.... At 60, you have to make way for the new blood. Or something.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I read somewhere that Japan have a cultural thing about retiring at 60. It's not like the West where people can choose to stay on longer.... At 60, you have to make way for the new blood. Or something.

It is quite common that older members of the company are put on "early retirement". They remain with the company but have menial duties. Read Iwata Asks: Game & Watch for a good example.

And then there's Yamauchi, who will never be retired in our hearts (because that's when the killswitch would go off).

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Here's the link about the Japanese retirement thing...

A curious feature of the Japanese system is the tendency to demote workers when they reach the official retirement age of 60. But this does not appear to be a consequence of the law. In the U.S., many workers are entitled to take early retirement at reduced benefits, and if they do so their employer can rehire them at a lower wage. (Thus U.S. companies can adjust the age profile of their workforce by early-retirement programs, which create monetary inducements to early retirement.) But this is not, as far as I know, particularly common. It seems that Japanese employers have devised a system of staged retirement--partial at 60, with an appropriately small pension because the employee is continuing to work, albeit at a reduced salary to reflect his reduced productivity, and full at (about) 69.

http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/2005/06/the-japanese-retirement-system--comment-by-posner.html

I don't expect a WiiU Sports title, or at least think it wouldn't be the best move for Nintendo. For one, Wii Sports was not a success because it was a good game - because it wasn't one. It presented a new way of playing a handful of satisfactory mini-games. However, the novelty was fresh, exciting, and easy to pick up. Nintendo can't hope to emulate Wii Sports' success by just making a direct sequel. I expect that as with that game, they will aim to create something for launch which, when people see their friends and family playing, think, "wow, that looks fun and different, I'll give it a go!" I suppose it isn't inconceivable that they could bring out a collection of sports-themed mini-games that had such an effect, but I'm skeptical. I just hope that whatever it is, it isn't just a collection of the tech demos we saw last e3, because fun though they might be (I haven't played them), to me at least they didn't have that same appeal Wii Sports had when we first saw a bunch of people waving a virtual golf club or tennis racket around,

What could EAD Tokyo Group 1 be working on? I'm convinced that whatever it is will be the premier Wii U launch title for hardcore gamers. Is it Donkey Kong? Star Fox? A resurrected old IP like Ice Climbers? A completely new IP? I somehow doubt it's based on a completely new character. Just seems too risky if it's a launch title, but would probably also be the best time to debut a new IP. My launch lineup looks like this:

-EAD Tokyo Group 1 action/platform title
-Waverace Resort
-Wii U Sports

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I have yet to hear a good rumour about Nintendo.

That's the whole point, or something. The game is not about what the rumours are, it is about which of the usual suspects are spreading them.

For one, Wii Sports was not a success because it was a good game - because it wasn't one.

It was (and is) an awesome game. Though I'm inclined to agree with you that a reboot at launch might not be the best tactic.

BD1

Banned
I don't expect a WiiU Sports title, or at least think it wouldn't be the best move for Nintendo. For one, Wii Sports was not a success because it was a good game - because it wasn't one. It presented a new way of playing a handful of satisfactory mini-games. However, the novelty was fresh, exciting, and easy to pick up. Nintendo can't hope to emulate Wii Sports' success by just making a direct sequel. I expect that as with that game, they will aim to create something for launch which, when people see their friends and family playing, think, "wow, that looks fun and different, I'll give it a go!" I suppose it isn't inconceivable that they could bring out a collection of sports-themed mini-games that had such an effect, but I'm skeptical. I just hope that whatever it is, it isn't just a collection of the tech demos we saw last e3, because fun though they might be (I haven't played them), to me at least they didn't have that same appeal Wii Sports had when we first saw a bunch of people waving a virtual golf club or tennis racket around,

Well, the Wii _____ series sold ridiculous amounts of units, so Nintendo would be right to expect a mini game collection to sell well.

Wii Sports Resort: 29 Million
Wii Play: 28 million
Wii Party: 8 million
Wii Music: 2.5 million

I do agree that they shouldn't expect a new game to capture lightning in a bottle the way Wii Sports did, but the Mii games are a huge, huge, huge franchise in this industry.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

You will absolutely see a Wii U Sports, Wii U Play, and Wii U Fit on the new hardware. They are just too powerful a brand and require typically less resources to develop than some other dramatically less lucrative properties.

Nibel

You will absolutely see a Wii U Sports, Wii U Play, and Wii U Fit on the new hardware. They are just too powerful a brand and require typically less resources to develop than some other dramatically less lucrative properties.

Yup.

The question is when. Launch or later?

Wii U Sports bundled w/ a Wii Remote+ would be a huge seller. Wii Sports Resort was a great value for the amount of variety it presented, and I expect the Wii U version to follow suit. Some new sports might be football and volleyball. Meanwhile, golf and baseball have already been seen to add new modes which combine the remote and tablet. I'm sure there are plenty others once I get to thinking about it...

StevieP

Banned
1 weekend, 50 pages.... guys, seriously?

What could there possibly have been to talk about with that many thousand posts in 1 weekend? Was there some massive revelation somewhere?

lol

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
All that nintendo-car-trims-grass material and not a single 'When will this FUCKIN company learn to drive?'. Gaf, I'm utterly disappointed.

1 weekend, 50 pages.... guys, seriously?

What could there possibly have been to talk about with that many thousand posts in 1 weekend? Was there some massive revelation somewhere?

lol

Well I came back after saying I wouldn't unless there was news, because I got bored. That sparked like, 10 posts..about 0.1%

Nibel

All that nintendo-car-trims-grass material and not a single 'When will this FUCKIN company learn to drive?'. Gaf, I'm utterly disappointed.

You won't be disappointed in the next few weeks. This isn't even the beginning.

The Nintendo E3 hate this year will be glorious and entertaining.

Vinci

Danish

U Play packed-in for proof of concept; the other can come later. Based on this recent news, I would guess that the most likely launch lineup from Nintendo would be:

U Play (pack-in), the new Mario game, and Pikmin U

Which isn't remarkably unfair to 3rd parties, though it would guarantee some good sales for the system early on.

I totally get that the Wii__ games are huge sellers, but it is difficult to say which ones sold well because the Wii sold well, and which ones caused people to rush out and buy the Wii in the first place (though building on what I said above, I believe Wii Sports was the main reason the Wii took off). I would speculate that Nintendo will tend to release new versions of those games if the new hardware opportunities really take advantage of them. So Wii Play, Wii Party, Wii Music might even be more suited to Wii U and the new hardware will offer a new experience, and I totally expect a new version of those games. Wii U fit is almost a given considering the board was even featured in the reveal, and millions of people have the board sat there gathering dust. Yet, I don't see the Wii U controller as being much use for a Wii Sports sequel. It's possible they would release a new version for use with Wii Remotes, but would that really shift consoles in the same way as the original? I'd be very surprised if it could reach anything like the 29 mil of Wii Sports Resort!

In sum: Nintendo found success on the Wii by launching with a game that took advantage of a completely new and exciting interface. It built on that success by releasing titles that appealed not by being the best looking but by offering new experiences. They cemented their success by releasing games aimed at this broad audience they had amassed. By launching a new console, which isn't going to be cheap, they need to recreate the excitement that surrounded Wii Sports several years ago. Expect the unexpected at e3!

It was (and is) an awesome game. Though I'm inclined to agree with you that a reboot at launch might not be the best tactic.

I have to agree with this. (edit: for me, and largely because of that stupid wagon part) Wii Sports was more fun to play than Twilight Princess, the other big launch title. It wasn't as deep, but it was still far deeper than people credited it for.

I do wish that there was a mode that let you move your guy with the nunchuk, though. I never got around to getting another tennis game, because the impression I got was that the swinging wasn't as great as in Wii Sports when the game did allow for analog-controller movements.

But, yeah, new system, new original game (or original gameplay) to show third parties the way.

Roelatie

i thought of a game for Wii U:

Wii Collection or Wario Party. Its a party game and a mix between Wario Ware, Mario Party and Wii Sports. Its basically a BEST OF WII games on one disk.

There is a New Mario Party board, A Wario Ware Board and a Wii COllection Board. Its several 2-4 player minigames. Wii sports tennis against each other, a Mario Kart Race,a Wii Music battle and maybe even third party games in it like Just Dance and Rabbids.

Pacing will be between Wii Sports & Wario Ware. not too hectic but strangly funny/weird

I totally get that the Wii__ games are huge sellers, but it is difficult to say which ones sold well because the Wii sold well, and which ones caused people to rush out and buy the Wii in the first place (though building on what I said above, I believe Wii Sports was the main reason the Wii took off). I would speculate that Nintendo will tend to release new versions of those games if the new hardware opportunities really take advantage of them. So Wii Play, Wii Party, Wii Music might even be more suited to Wii U and the new hardware will offer a new experience, and I totally expect a new version of those games. Wii U fit is almost a given considering the board was even featured in the reveal, and millions of people have the board sat there gathering dust. Yet, I don't see the Wii U controller as being much use for a Wii Sports sequel. It's possible they would release a new version for use with Wii Remotes, but would that really shift consoles in the same way as the original? I'd be very surprised if it could reach anything like the 29 mil of Wii Sports Resort!

In sum: Nintendo found success on the Wii by launching with a game that took advantage of a completely new and exciting interface. It built on that success by releasing titles that appealed not by being the best looking but by offering new experiences. They cemented their success by releasing games aimed at this broad audience they had amassed. By launching a new console, which isn't going to be cheap, they need to recreate the excitement that surrounded Wii Sports several years ago. Expect the unexpected at e3!

You're correct in realizing that the DRC doesn't open up as many possibilities for unique "sports" experiences as the original Wii Remote. However, it will add enough new ways to play to justify a Wii U Sports being released. And it doesn't have to sell millions at first. Resort had a slow start but became an evergreen title. And as others have stated, the costs to develop such a title make it an easy decision.

All that being said, I'm pretty sure Nintendo realize this and that is why they are dedicating many resources into finding the next original "big hit" such as Wii Sports, Brain Age, and Wii Fit.

But it's fucking Shigeru Miyamoto. The Shigeru Miyamoto. That created Mario and the Wii. The one that saved Nintendo and the videogame industry.

Nintendo would be stupid to "force" a retirement/demotion on him and I doubt they will. But he may want to retire himself.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Yay, I finished my little bash script that counts the posts per day on GAF threads. I just thought it'd be interesting to compare the posting performance on Thread 4 versus its predecessors.

There are still a few bugs to work out, and I have to optimize it for GAF's architecture (because, frankly, performance is looking a bit weaker than equivalent post counting titles on GameFAQs), but this will soon allow me to make pointless graphs, and that's really what Sales-age is all about.

WARNING: This is really, really pointless, but I had fun generating these, so now you have to suffer by briefly glancing at them. The charts are launch-aligned, so to speak.

Note: This thread started really late in the day, and to compound it the results are using UTC instead of US-based time zones. This is why the first day looks like there were supply issues for the product, whereas Thread 3 followed a normal launch pattern of high initial results followed by a second period decline.
Best post of the thread so far. It's a bit amazing to watch how quickly these threads grow with mostly nothing to go on. Thread 3 and thread 4's first five days point to a semi-sustained level of crazy posting levels for these threads as of late. Oh how quickly they grow. Should be interesting to see how much greater the post count becomes when we get into into Pre-E3 month (May).

Oddduck

How long have you traversed the Nintendo universe my friend? The fabled "Miyamoto is working on a new IP" is a yearly meme around gaming forums. I'm sure Nintendo will have a new intellectual property at E3, and Miyamoto may attach his supervisory name on to it. I think you will see something new from the EAD producers Katsuya Eguchi and Takao Shimizu.

This is no meme my friend. How long have you traversed the Nintendo universe?

Because Miyamoto confirmed he's working on a new original IP back in January.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/miyamoto-working-on-new-original-game-6348280

Miyamoto recently gave an interview to the Associated Press (as spotted by Zoomin Games), where it was revealed that in addition to a new Pikmin game for the Wii U and Luigi's Mansion 2 for the 3DS, Miyamoto is at work on a new property. Zoomin refers to this project as an "undisclosed original title."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/01/miyamoto_working_on_secret_original_game

According to an interview with Zoomin.TV, Shigeru Miyamoto is currently at work on an unannounced, original game.

Miyamoto himself didn't say anything about the game, so we have nothing else to go on: no format, no genre and no hint at which of his hobbies it'll be based on.

Miyamoto's direct quote: "Explaining his development mentality (but not revealing anything about the new game),
Miyamoto said, "People have come to expect a lot from me. This certainly makes me feel some pressure. But if you ask me, 'Is it too much pressure to come out with something new?' I have to say no, I'm enjoying myself. But when I make something, I always try to do my best." "

Miyamoto in 2010 said he wanted a new character to be made.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/110/1103322p1.html

After listing these activities, he gave some solid hints about some of his upcoming plans. "I think that next year I can probably deliver something new," he said. I'm still active on the development scene, so please look forward to [my output]. It's been nearly 10 years since I made the Pikmin character, so I feel this is the year where I must at long last make a new character."

Best post of the thread so far. It's a bit amazing to watch how quickly these threads grow with mostly nothing to go on. Thread 3 and thread 4's first five days point to a semi-sustained level of crazy posting levels for these threads as of late. Oh how quickly they grow. Should be interesting to see how much greater the post count becomes when we get into into Pre-E3 month (May).

:D

I have an update (it's stupidly faster and tries not to abuse neogaf servers now, so I can run it on across the entirety of the four threads instead of just the first few days), but I'll try to wait a bit before posting it up.

I almost want to run this on one of the Sony threads, but I feel this would be a bit sadistic. >:)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/miyamoto-working-on-new-original-game-6348280

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/01/miyamoto_working_on_secret_original_game

Miyamoto's direct quote: "Explaining his development mentality (but not revealing anything about the new game),

Miyamoto in 2010 said he wanted a new character to be made.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/110/1103322p1.html

Not sure if the question was serious or not... hahaha...

I got the impression that Miyamoto's next really hands on title besides Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion 2 would be something smaller in scope, perhaps even a downloadable game.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Long enough to know this meme has perpetuated for the last 5 years. Every year there is a quote where Miyamoto states "he is working on something new". Rabid fans go crazy with inane expectations of Miyamoto sitting in small room drawing characters and levels for a new blockbuster ip. New game appears directed by someone else, produced by someone else, and Miyamoto being the general executive supervisor as usual.

Just saying. Wii Music. Steel Diver. And others came and went just the same.

BD1

Banned
I got the impression that Miyamoto's next really hands on title besides Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion 2 would be something smaller in scope, perhaps even a downloadable game.

Ya, I don't expect a big, expansive, mermaid adventure. I expect something smaller in scope, maybe with a small team of younger devs that Miyamoto is working directly with. I think back when his retirement was reported by Wired, he came back and clarified that he wanted to do smaller titles with younger developers.

I do hope he makes a new character though. And knowing his history, you'd imagine he wants to make a new character as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom