• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr_Brit said:
I meant the GPU. Also, eDRAM was never confirmed outside of Engadget reporting that someone from IBM told them it had eDRAM.

IBM themselves confirmed it via a press release.

The all-new, Power-based microprocessor will pack some of IBM's most advanced technology into an energy-saving silicon package that will power Nintendo's brand new entertainment experience for consumers worldwide. IBM's unique embedded DRAM, for example, is capable of feeding the multi-core processor large chunks of data to make for a smooth entertainment experience.

I mean, look. I understand that it's your "thing" to be completely down on everything Nintendo, but... come on man...

ShockingAlberto said:
Nintendo has a new but important history of destroying things with Xeno in the name.

Awww man...

BurntPork

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Wow. Every time someone talked about eDRAM for the CPU that engadget article was talked about, never seen that press release until now. That sounds very good for the CPU, TBH I don't think anyone is too worried about the CPU anyway.
You probably should have taken a look at Engadget's source as well.

Mr_Brit

Banned
BurntPork said:
You probably should have taken a look at Engadget's source as well.
Just looked at it again. I had no idea IBM had released a press release until now.

Edit: I think that article has been updated from when it was first written. It has a link in the text to the earlier version(which doesn't work) and the first few lines talk as if they talked to someone at IBM rather than just reiterating a press release. I'm pretty sure when I first saw it there was no press release.

[Nintex]

Mr_Brit said:
Wow. Every time someone talked about eDRAM for the CPU that engadget article was talked about, never seen that press release until now. That sounds very good for the CPU, TBH I don't think anyone is too worried about the CPU anyway.
It was posted on the IBM site with a diagram of the memory stuff even and then promptly removed afterwards.

StevieP

Banned
BurntPork said:
I see. He doubled the Wii's GPU speed, so I guess that's it. However, since the GPU is completely different from Wii, I don't think that would make a difference, nor do I think that Nintendo would cripple Wii U just for BC. I don't think that Wii speeds should be considered at all.

Anyway, I think the triple-core is only for the early dev kits and that the final hardware will have a quad. I don't see any other way to ensure that the CPU is more powerful than Xenos.

Perfect BC is perfect BC. And if the CPU is an advanced/immature enough chip, a 3-core variant would ensure higher production yields as to not face higher fabrication costs and product shortages.

snesfreak

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Nintendo has a new but important history of destroying things with Xeno in the name.
haleypunch.gif

Mr_Brit

Banned
StevieP said:
Perfect BC is perfect BC. And if the CPU is an advanced/immature enough chip, a 3-core variant would ensure higher production yields as to not face higher fabrication costs and product shortages.
Have they said perfect BC? If so then that suggests it either has some Wii chips in it or the Wii U chips are related to the chips in Wii.

Mr_Brit said:
Have they said perfect BC? If so then that suggests it either has some Wii chips in it or the Wii U chips are related to the chips in Wii.

BC has become very important to Nintendo.
They'll either include Wii chips in the U or they'll make sure that the new stuff can perfectly run Wii games.
I mean, it shouldn't be that hard.
They both use a PowerPC CPU and a Radeon GPU.

Mr_Brit

Banned
AceBandage said:
BC has become very important to Nintendo.
They'll either include Wii chips in the U or they'll make sure that the new stuff can perfectly run Wii games.
I mean, it shouldn't be that hard.
They both use a PowerPC CPU and a Radeon GPU.
Oh come on. The GPUs can't really be compared at all. I doubt Flipper is anywhere near whatever is in Wii U.

fernoca

I think it will "perfect BC" as they already confirmed that the games won't even be upscaled to HD. Gives the impression that it will be like the Wii, were it goes into "GameCube mode" the moment you put a GCN game.

Mr_Brit said:
Oh come on. The GPUs can't really be compared at all. I doubt Flipper is anywhere near whatever is in Wii U.

No, they aren't comparable.
But it since they are based, in some way, on similar technology, it gives Nintendo the option to put the Wii programing right on the card.

Jin34

AceBandage said:
No, they aren't comparable.
But it since they are based, in some way, on similar technology, it gives Nintendo the option to put the Wii programing right on the card.

They aren't, that gpu was made by ArtX which happened to be bought before the GC came out but after the chip was done.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mr_Brit said:
Flipper's 'schtick' was the unparalleled speed of the dependent texture reads.

Did somebody say edram on the WiiU?

BurntPork

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
2qk5n9d.gif

StevieP said:
So, you think that BC is their first priority and they're going to sacrifice performance for it?

antonz

BurntPork said:
2qk5n9d.gif

So, you think that BC is their first priority and they're going to sacrifice performance for it?
They could potentially use a lower core speed than the 3ghz+ seen in devkits and go simpler. IBM is using what until recently was basically their baby in their specific type of EDRAM. IBM boasts it can double CPU performance.

StevieP

Banned
Jin34 said:
They aren't, that gpu was made by ArtX which happened to be bought before the GC came out but after the chip was done.

All ATI GPUs from that point on have some of Flipper in them.

Gives the impression that it will be like the Wii, were it goes into "GameCube mode" the moment you put a GCN game.

The Wii uses a CPU multiplier to downclock to GC level. There are other components in place to assure the perfect BC (the inputs, obviously, but also things like the 1T-SRAM). I am expecting something similar with the WiiU, hence the talk of pure hardware emulation (i.e. no upscaling, etc).

From what I recall reading, the 476FP shares some similarities. Will it do perfect BC? That I don't know. They could always SoC the Wii chips like Microsoft would have to do with Valhalla if they go with a Fusion part for the Xbox 3, but... that would probably cost more.

I came in this thread reading a post about how the CPU's were less than 360 and whats up with the odd GPU clock? Got all excited thought we'd had hard final specs leak or something, started excitedly clicking back pages.

But he was just commenting on somebody's list of guessed Wii U specs :( We still know little.

BurntPork

Banned
specialguy said:
I came in this thread reading a post about how the CPU's were less than 360 and whats up with the odd GPU clock? Got all excited thought we'd had hard final specs leak or something, started excitedly clicking back pages.

But he was just commenting on somebody's list of guessed Wii U specs :( We still know little.
You got excited hearing that Wii U might be weaker than the 360?

Strife91

Nintedo is just messing with us all. Sending out false data and rumors. When we get close to launch Nintendo will reveal that it's actually a beast of a machine. We will finally have Toy Story graphics. Crysis 3 will be a launch title and running on Cryengine 4. Samaritan was actually a game in production for Wii U. The tech demo that Epic showed was running on early Wii U devkit. The final product will look much better. Nintendo will finally unleash the beast worldwide just in time for the holiday season. The console will be the most wanted christmas gift worlwide(even in Africa). This will cause Sony and MS to shit their pants. Sony will shut down Sony computer entertainment and MS will pull out of the console wars as well.

Future predicted.

BurntPork

Banned
Strife91 said:
Nintedo is just messing with us all. Sending out false data and rumors. When we get close to launch Nintendo will reveal that it's actually a beast of a machine. We will finally have Toy Story graphics. Crysis 3 will be a launch title and running on Cryengine 4. Samaritan was actually a game in production for Wii U. The tech demo that Epic showed was running on early Wii U devkit. The final product will look much better. Nintendo will finally unleash the beast worldwide just in time for the holiday season. The console will be the most wanted christmas gift worlwide(even in Africa). This will cause Sony and MS to shit their pants. Sony will shut down Sony computer entertainment and MS will pull out of the console wars as well.

Future predicted.
You should be promoted to Member right now for this post.

Red UFO

Strife91 said:

Future predicted.
Hahaha. Reminds me of the sort of stuff you'd see before the Revolution games were shown.

Sadist

From the Peter Moore article

"I don’t know what Xbox and PlayStation’s plans for their next platforms are, but it’s not going to be hanging on graphic fidelity. I guarantee you that."

Hmmmmm...

snesfreak

Banned
Strife91 said:

Future predicted.
It'll also help put an end to war and poverty. It will align the planets and bring them into universal harmony. Allowing meaningful contact with all forms of life. From extra terrestrials to common household pets
It's the Wyld Stallyns of consoles.

Instro

Sadist said:
From the Peter Moore article

Hmmmmm...
It will be interesting to see how that plays out. I wouldn't exactly be surprised, considering all the technical/cost issues with trying to make a super powered console these days.

BurntPork

Banned

Red UFO

BurntPork said:
Well, that invalidates his opinion quite nicely.
Oh you.

He's questioning whether or not anything higher than 1080p is necessary.

Which, with the size of domestic displays, it isn't.

lednerg

Red UFO said:
Oh you.

He's questioning whether or not anything higher than 1080p is necessary.

Which, with the size of domestic displays, it isn't.
Exactly. And that article probably should be its own thread since it has more to do with the gaming industry in general than Wii U speculation.

BurntPork

Banned
lednerg said:
Exactly. And that article probably should be its own thread since it has more to do with the gaming industry in general than Wii U speculation.
If a thread is made, tell me so I know to avoid it. GAF is going to want Moore's head if they see that! Saying that Wii U will be successful and that the next gen consoles won't leave it in the dust? Moore will be the most hated person of the week!

[Nintex]

BurntPork said:
If a thread is made, tell me so I know to avoid it. GAF is going to want Moore's head if they see that! Saying that Wii U will be successful and that the next gen consoles won't leave it in the dust? Moore will be the most hated person of the week!
Moore has been corrupted by the emperor but he will strike him down bringing balance to the force.

AzaK

I don't know about anyone else, but this excited me

"It’s critically important to us and we are relieved, if anything else, that they have made a huge commitment that they have presented to us... Online certainly was not a factor with the Wii, as you know; although they had capabilities, it just wasn’t there at the level that both Xbox Live and PlayStation had," he said. "But I think Nintendo totally gets that multi-player, building community, co-op play, having the ability to bring games that are deeper - all of these things are now very important."

Truth101 said:
He is talking about Local multiplayer, ala Mario Kart, Smash, NSMBW. I think so anyways, the wording isn't too good.

He was talking about online in the same breath... He wouldn't be talking about offline multiplayer there.

most fans are looking for the giant generational leap 2 years after the WiiU
Peter Moore may sound like he is off the mark but there are many more reasons why Sony and Microsoft would go a little graphical step forward then that major leap fans are looking for.

WiiU may set the starting point of where next gen visuals will be targeted. Sony and MS may very well just do a little boost of power ahead of WiiU and not that giant leap we expect to save money. Even with power and ram we have no idea how OS heavy the next consoles may become so that they can do much more of the apps stuff we see trending this generation.

Smiles and Cries said:
most fans are looking for the giant generational leap 2 years after the WiiU
Peter Moore may sound like he is off the mark but there are many more reasons why Sony and Microsoft would go a little graphical step forward then that major leap fans are looking for.

WiiU may set the starting point of where next gen visuals will be targeted. Sony and MS may very well just do a little boost of power ahead of WiiU and not that giant leap we expect to save money. Even with power and ram we have no idea how OS heavy the next consoles may become so that they can do much more of the apps stuff we see trending this generation.

There are definitely more justifiable reasons for them to not make a huge jump than reasons to do it. I don't see them making a big jump (compared to Wii U), but they can always prove me wrong.

Luigiv

StevieP said:
The Wii uses a CPU multiplier to downclock to GC level. There are other components in place to assure the perfect BC (the inputs, obviously, but also things like the 1T-SRAM). I am expecting something similar with the WiiU, hence the talk of pure hardware emulation (i.e. no upscaling, etc).

From what I recall reading, the 476FP shares some similarities. Will it do perfect BC? That I don't know. They could always SoC the Wii chips like Microsoft would have to do with Valhalla if they go with a Fusion part for the Xbox 3, but... that would probably cost more.
It won't be. Using the 3DS as precedence, it'll be a software based solution but with the hardware of course designed to allow that emulator to run as easily as possible. Software emulation is far more secure anyway.

sfried

Jin34 said:
I thought they dropped GC BC for this, and as I quoted earlier, talks of eDRAM replacing the function of the 1T-SRAM.

sfried said:
I thought they dropped GC BC for this, and as I quoted earlier, talks of eDRAM replacing the function of the 1T-SRAM.

I don't think the talk was so much about replacing 1T-SRAM as it was some just using the two terms interchangeably or that some were focusing on the CPU. The benefits of it over eDRAM makes me believe Nintendo would continue with 1T-SRAM for the GPU over eDRAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom