• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

AzaK said:
Not necessarily. Once the u pad is calibrated then the gyros/magnetometers etc would enable it to be able to tell when you are holding the thing up to the tv and looking through it like a window. You dont need IR for that, although actual IR would probably be more accurate and impervious to drift. In this case though you'd need the IR camera on the bottom if you wanted that window functionality.

Good point about the camera location. Hmmm. The thing is, I'm not sure I buy that it's precise enough to get the effect I imagined from the description without an IR camera.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
HenryGale said:
Never really wanted that previously, but as far as consoles are concerned I dont trust their hardware direction or online systems anymore. I still love the 3DS but if I could play Nintendo games in HD and online with a great commnity stable system and awesome controller I dont care who makes the system. Nintendo sells and makes some of the BEST games. The console doesnt interest me much.

If they went third party it doesnt mean they would stop making great games. If anything they would be even better, as they wouldnt have to try and shoe horn in their consoles "unique" features amd would focus on making their games better. When I think of my most nostalgic gaming moments and old consoles its the games I played that I care about, not the console which made it so special.

I also think with the way hardware is accelerating I imagine a future where the landscape is drastically differnt, and I wouldnt be surprised if being a software company wasnt an inevitability.

I kind of agree with the general underlying point - what I want is Nintendo games, I don't want to have to buy a system for that but I will. And I'm disappointed with what we get from their systems. Pretty much I buy them only for Nintendo games. Its an expensive thing to do.

But I dont' think going third party helps. The choices Nintendo make - for good or bad - are reflected in their games and their hardware. Both lead each other, so hardware innovation happens to deliver the games they want to make, but also vice versa.

Perhaps they don't look outwards from Japan enough. I'd argue that local multiplayer is more relevant to the Japanese market, and full online capabilities less so. But does that mean you should focus your efforts solely around that? Personally no - I don't see why you couldn't factor in the west's desire for online and still keep the essence of the game intact.

If they just made games on Xbox for instance, why would they suddenly start having awesome online multiplayer? If they felt that was really important for the games they make, and the people they make them for, then they'd have online much higher on the list of priorities. But they don't. So you'd quite likely end up with the same games, perhaps with prettier graphics, but with no magic new features just because its on an online console.

_PsiFire_

AzaK said:
That image is interesting in that's it has a few spots where the casing is etched but no componentry in it. And you can obviously see the words "AC Adapter", and next to it is something that looks like a switch. Guess it's not that interesting after all, but maybe it'll help get things back on track. ;)
Etching: Are you talking about the 10 little "squares"? Screws are under those.

Switch: That's the stylus.

BlackNMild2k1 said:
The UMote uses gyro, accelerometers, magnetometers and probably the front facing camera to pin point it's location and work like a pointer, but if they need you to point at something on the screen, I'm sure they would just move it to the touch screen so you can touch it with your finger instead.

Thats a good point. This is starting to sound better the more I learn. It will hands down be the best controller for regular 3rd party games. Just for the touch screen and ability to continue playing away from the TV.
As well as having an interactive map at your fingertips. It really seems like something 3rd parties will put to good use.

guek

Banned
Good lord, I hope nintendo announces something wii U related this friday. Just something...anything.

I gotta wonder what they could possibly show though.

mclem

guek said:
Good lord, I hope nintendo announces something wii U related this friday. Just something...anything.

I'm still not holding out much hope. I'm pretty sure Nintendo's policy is "all 3DS for the rest of the year". There's gonna be plenty of time for Wii U stuff next year.

NewFresh

guek said:

"That Wii U thing, it's still coming."

They already said the conference will be a continuation of the 3DS conference.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Yeah, I forgot about that. But regarding this conference:
humm :( I do not even visit this thread because so much speculations no answer :( I just want a decent console and wii remote type scheme again for playing I found that too comfortable. i can not imagine playing games like i play on wii sleeping on sofa holding that giant tablet. Plus I suck at maneuvering with those two knobs :(

guek

Banned
bgassassin said:
Interesting. My "source" :p did say Nintendo would be having another event for Wii U info before the year is over. I wonder if this it?

if that turns out to be true, I'll have renewed faith in your source :)

AzaK

_PsiFire_ said:
Etching: Are you talking about the 10 little "squares"? Screws are under those.

Switch: That's the stylus.
I was talking about the ac adapter markings and the switch, which you pointed out is the stylus. I'm old and can't seeing well, now where is my zimmerframe.

guek said:

I'm preparing for disappointment on this front but am going to maintain my usual naive optimism.

bgassassin said:
Interesting. My "source" :p did say Nintendo would be having another event for Wii U info before the year is over. I wonder if this it?
Stop it! :p

bgassassin said:
I used the article to get him to reaffirm what he said and apparently he was being very specific about "end of the year". So I guess we wait a little longer.

Nintendo will hold a conference on December 31st?
How strange.

BurntPork

Banned
bgassassin said:
I used the article to get him to reaffirm what he said and apparently he was being very specific about "end of the year". So I guess we wait a little longer.
That Jump event thing in December.

guek

Banned
bgassassin said:
Ohcomeon.gif

^ :D

AceBandage said:
Nintendo will hold a conference on December 31st?
How strange.

You got jokes.

BurntPork said:
That Jump event thing in December.

I think I remember you mentioning that before either here or somewhere else. It's slated for Dec. 17th and 18th so that sounds about right.

bgassassin said:
^ :D

You got jokes.

I think I remember you mentioning that before either here or somewhere else. It's slated for Dec. 17th and 18th so that sounds about right.

That'd be a wonderful almost-birthday present.

I wonder if they can design it so that the face cam can point outward for AR.

With that ... they could give use a true cross console Pokemon! (I take the reasoning from the fact that GF has always said that the main games would stay on handhelds until the consoles become more portable. Well, having all the cool shit like 2 screens and AR on the console makes for some interesting ideas and Nintendo is already doing cross-console SSB so we know it can be done.)

TunaLover

Black-Wind said:
I wonder if they can design it so that the face cam can point outward for AR.

With that ... they could give use a true cross console Pokemon! (I take the reasoning from the fact that GF has always said that the main games would stay on handhelds until the consoles become more portable. Well, having all the cool shit like 2 screens and AR on the console makes for some interesting ideas and Nintendo is already doing cross-console SSB so we know it can be done.)

You still could use the face cam to focus an AR card, and the image show directly on the TV screen, even if you can't see directly on the controller screen.

TunaLover said:
You still could use the face cam to focus an AR card, and the image show directly on the TV screen, even if you can't see directly on the controller screen.
That seems like it would be awkward and limiting.

You wouldn't be able to use the touch screen and button presses would be hard. You lose a screen and a ton of buttons just for that way :/

TunaLover

Black-Wind said:
That seems like it would be awkward and limiting.

You wouldn't be able to use the touch screen and button presses would be hard. You lose a screen and a ton of buttons just for that way :/
Well, the design is not final though, Nintendo could add a second camera, they have showed to be really interested in AR stuff.

TunaLover said:
Well, the design is not final though, Nintendo could add a second camera, they have showed to be really interested in AR stuff.
That's what I want them to do.

I just figured that that would cause for a HD/ HD-ish cam along with w/e res the face-cam is and that might be more than Nintendo would like.

AzaK

TunaLover said:

One issue they may have with that is cost. I don't think they could get away with a 3DS quality/res camera if it's to be displayed on a big TV in HD. Cameras are probably cheap as chips but we know now frugal Nintendo tend to be.

But yes, it's be great to have some good AR on the thing. I think my little boy would love it.

whitehawk

Banned
They better make the screen multitouch before release. There is no excuse for having a 1 touch screen in 2012. This isn't 2004 Nintendo.

whitehawk said:
They better make the screen multitouch before release. There is no excuse for having a 1 touch screen in 2012. This isn't 2004 Nintendo.

Really?

Ok.

So, what benefits does a multi-touch screen provide a gaming controller which features a traditionally adequate button interface?

Satchel

Banned
Do we have any inkling yet as to whether all save data from an SD from the Wii, will transfer over to the Wii U and be useable?

whitehawk

Banned
You are just killing ideas with that kind of thought. I'm sure Nintendo was very unsure of the possibilities for the DS when they gave it 2 screens and a touch screen. But then it was left to developers to be creative, and they did a good job.

I'm not sure if Nintendo is planning on it, but the controller could make a decent web browser for when someone is using the computer and television. Multitouch would really help in that regard. How about gestures? You could use the screen as a nice side button, without having to look down at the screen. Swipe anywhere with 2 fingers to switch to 'x' mode in real time, swipe with 3 fingers to switch weapons, etc. Kind of how Kinect can help traditional games with useful shortcuts, multitouch could do the same thing.

StreetsAhead said:
Really?

Ok.

So, what benefits does a multi-touch screen provide a gaming controller which features a traditionally adequate button interface?
Well...things could be designed for it specifically. Throw tradition out the window and you can do whatever you want with it.

whitehawk said:

I honestly don't think its needed since you have buttons anyway. Also ergonomically i fail to see how multi-touch* would even be executed, Unless the game required the controller to be put down in order to use both hands on the screen (which seems impractical outside of gimmicky applications).

*Dictionary suggested mufti-touch LOL.

whitehawk said:
You are just killing ideas with that kind of thought. I'm sure Nintendo was very unsure of the possibilities for the DS when they gave it 2 screens and a touch screen. But then it was left to developers to be creative, and they did a good job.

I'm not sure if Nintendo is planning on it, but the controller could make a decent web browser for when someone is using the computer and television. Multitouch would really help in that regard. How about gestures? You could use the screen as a nice side button, without having to look down at the screen. Swipe anywhere with 2 fingers to switch to 'x' mode in real time, swipe with 3 fingers to switch weapons, etc. Kind of how Kinect can help traditional games with useful shortcuts, multitouch could do the same thing.

How would it help web browsers? Is the benefit worth the more expensive screen?

And I, personally, don't like the idea of having to do gestures when I have buttons closer to my fingers that allow me hold the controller in both hands.

guek

Banned
from the patent:
In the present example embodiment, the touch panel 52 is a resistive-type touch panel. However, the touch panel is not limited to the resistive type, and may be a touch panel of any type including, for example, a capacitive type, etc. The touch panel 52 may be of single-touch type or a multi-touch type.

doesn't confirm anything, but it's interesting.

oh, and resistive touch screens can do multi-touch anyway

Satchel

Banned
While you guys are discussin it, I actually don't care if they use the screen for nothing more than the HUD to be honest.

HD Nintendo games that are HUDless on a 'traditional controller' (of sorts) with the option for Wii type control?

F U C K Y E A H B I T C H E S

whitehawk

Banned
StreetsAhead said:
How would it help web browsers? Is the benefit worth the more expensive screen?

And I, personally, don't like the idea of having to do gestures when I have buttons closer to my fingers that allow me hold the controller in both hands.
Pinch to zoom in/out, going back and forward.

guek said:
from the patent:

doesn't confirm anything, but it's interesting.

oh, and resistive touch screens can do multi-touch anyway

Sure, they might consider it. I just don't see the huge advantage to it.

Who knows - maybe the Multi-touch UPad will be next-gens WM+? ;)

Considering those functions can be down with on-screen or physical buttons is it really worth the greater cost? This is a legitimate question.

Instro

The cost difference between resistive and capacitive screens is pretty minimal at this point iirc. Nintendo sticks with resistive because it is more useful for their gaming applications. The ability to use a stylus shouldn't be overlooked, and capacitive styli are pretty shitty.

guek

Banned
whitehawk said:

eh. It'd be nice for web-browsin and some wiiU-ware games but that might be it. The main problem is the nature of the platform. It's going to be incredibly rare to need multi-touch because you're going to have to be holding the controller at the same time. I could see it being used for some puzzles, but nothing really comes to mind where you couldn't do the exact same thing without multi-touch.

This isn't an ipad where you need multi touch because that's your only way of getting multiple inputs. The controller will already have a ton of buttons at your disposal. Plus you have motion in 3D space as well. Like I said, I could see some downloadable games being used for it, but you'd pretty much always have to be looking down at the screen in order to know where your fingers are. It's easy to track a single input with your thumb while looking at the big screen, but multiple inputs? While simultaneously holding the controller? That sounds pretty bad.

edit: and like instro said, resistive is better in general for pinpoint gaming

BurntPork

Banned
whitehawk said:

Not seeing anything gameplay-related that buttons can't do...

Face it. You see the single-touch screen as skimping on something that's standard. This has nothing to with function. It never does.

Satchel said:
While you guys are discussin it, I actually don't care if they use the screen for nothing more than the HUD to be honest.

HD Nintendo games that are HUDless on a 'traditional controller' (of sorts) with the option for Wii type control?

F U C K Y E A H B I T C H E S
I hate fucking HUDs as well, so I'm with you. Such bad design in most cases.

StreetsAhead said:

How about 2 player chess, checkers or air hockey on the tablet, no TV required.

the web browser feature also looks pretty awesome It looks like it could be the first real solution to the tiny text problem of browsing the web on your TV.

Kandinsky

60_gig_PS3 said:
the web browser feature also looks pretty awesome It looks like it could be the first real solution to the tiny text problem of browsing the web on your TV.
Its weird but I actually want to use the tablet thing for internet browsing while gaming more then anything else :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom