• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaK

BlackNMild2k1 said:
How about 2 player chess, checkers or air hockey on the tablet, no TV required.

Air hockey yes but the other two are turn based games; no need for multitouch. I agree it'd be nice and make some games possible that couldn't be done single touch but I think the percentage of games that need/could use it would be miniscule compared to single touch uses.

kandinksy said:
Its weird but I actually want to use the tablet thing for internet browsing while gaming more then anything else :p
This is one feature I'm looking forward to too, and using while watching movies and general areas where my iPad is currently used. The only concern I have is with the resolution; will 840x500ish be enough?

Besides, the screen is only 6 inches - who really wants to play 2-player (I assume that is what was being suggested) air hockey on a 6 inch screen?

Can't wait to play simulated air hockey on my $300+ console. :p

I really, REALLY hope game developers have better uses for the screen than what you chuckleheads are postulating, multi-touch or not. Good lord.

AzaK

bgassassin said:
Credit to poster Zekesoul.

Batman: Arkham City releasing July 20, 2012?

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/nintendo-wii/batman-arkham-city-wii-u/10481348.html

Speculation just moved into overdrive! So lets just say this is for real, would we expect it to be a launch title, or would it be moving out of the way for newer launch options? I really don't know but I'd think Nintendo would launch with a couple of their own titles to cater to different audiences, along with a few 3rd party new titles.

guek

Banned
well darksiders 2 is set for some time in june and they said it'd be there on day 1 (yeah, I realize that doesn't mean it's coinciding perfectly with the wii U launch).

You know what would be absolutely fantastic? If nintendo used E3 hype to lead up directly to the Wii U launch. Think about it! They announce more upcoming games and maybe a few scant details by the end of the year. In February, they host a titillating conference some time late February or early March with more complete gameplay footage and a few "launch window" titles. The real hype starts building as devs begin to talk openly about projects, including expected final specs. E3 2012 is June 5 to June 7. They reveal some really big megatons, many of which aren't scheduled until the end of the year or 2013, but big games nonetheless. Price and launch lineup are revealed. Hype is at maximum overload. They announce that they're launching worldwide on...July 13th! (my birthday, lol) Well, sometime early July or late June.

Fanboys rush out en mass, mouths frothing and blind with hype.

Timing would have to be perfect though. I don't think it'd be possible unless they started stockpiling finalized units within the next few months before the end of the year.

guek

Banned
tsab said:
NOPE, that is not going to happen.

saturn was completely different. It not only launched at an obscene price in the US but also completely with out warning. Many retailers and developers were caught completely unaware.

Nintendo has already stated that they're aiming for a mid year launch. My scenario also gives them more than a month between launch date announcement and the actual launch. They can easily avoid the pitfalls of the saturn's launch simply by keeping in touch with retailers and developers.

So yes, I guess I agree with you, they wont do a saturn-like launch. Don't put words in people's mouths, especially when you don't know what you're actually saying.

LOL, the Saturn launch was so bizarre.

I remember going to the mall and walking into Electronics Boutique (or was it Babbage's?), and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT! It was just there. Nobody had been talking about it, no commercials, no ads, nothing. AND IT WAS FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS.

Huh, I wonder why that didn't work out for Sega? Oh well.

guek

Banned
gah, a summer wii u launch would be so perfect for me. I haven't touched a single video game since I started med school. I plan on making up for that during breaks, especially summer break (my last one for the rest of my life...sad times)

TunaLover

Nintendo may have a major Japanese third party ally for Wii U next year. In an interview with Bloomberg Japan, Capcom founder and chairman Kenzo Tsujimoto expressed high expectations for the new platform. As evidence of the system's appeal, he noted the long lines to see the device at trade shows, saying that people would not line up if it were not interesting.

http://andriasang.com/comypl/

daakusedo said:
Since the zavvi release date is brought here, can an online shop know it so early? Because to me that's just guessing.
that's not the problem here, the problem is that, would Nintendo Ninjas let them live anymore if they actually know and made it public?
So, no, it definitely is guessing. I doubt the date being fixed anyway at all.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
IceDoesntHelp said:
Having boring ass missions like GTA IV?
LEGO games have the advantage of good humor and generally not taking themselves too seriously - something GTA always lacked.

Thunder Monkey said:
Wait what?

GTA4 is the first that actually takes itself seriously.

Not really. All the GTA's took their stories/cutscenes seriously for the most part, but the mission design didnt. Sadly, 4 took it serious on both routes.

A Nintendo vs Capcom game would literally destroy the universe.

Also, Lego City Stories is going to be amazing. I can feel it.
I just hope it has a really good way to explore the city (grappling hook please).

With AMD probably launching at least one 28nm GPU this year, how likely is it that Wii U's GPU will be on 28nm? I mean 40nm makes little sense in mid-late 2012. Then again the CPU is most likely going to be 45nm.

AceBandage said:
A Nintendo vs Capcom game would literally destroy the universe.
This has been my number one wish for the longest time. I can't believe Iwata hasn't already tried to lock this down in the past.

(...And then they need to make Hannah-Barbara Vs. Capcom.)

herzogzwei1989 said:
With AMD probably launching at least one 28nm GPU this year, how likely is it that Wii U's GPU will be on 28nm? I mean 40nm makes little sense in mid-late 2012. Then again the CPU is most likely going to be 45nm.
I'd say nil. Nintendo would have chosen the GPU at least a year ago, probably two.

hmm. In terms of a realistic launch line up I'd say i'd be content at launch (provided that its priced sub 400 dollars and relatively competent online ) with :

New Super Mario Bros Mii- hopefull with online coop -.-
Pikmin 3
Pack-in game out of those tech demos (Battle mii,Chase mii, Shield pose) along with some other minigames with nintendo character themes (zelda,dK,pikmin etc)
Some other new ip

guek

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
I'd say nil. Nintendo would have chosen the GPU at least a year ago, probably two.
i dunno, it really felt like such things weren't even finalized by this past E3. One year prior I could see, but 2 is pushing it.

DoomXploder7 said:
hmm. In terms of a realistic launch line up I'd say i'd be content at launch (provided that its priced sub 400 dollars and relatively competent online ) with :

Pikmin 3
Pack-in game out of those tech demos (Battle mii,Chase mii, Shield pose) along with some other minigames with nintendo character themes (zelda,dK,pikmin etc)
Some other new ip

i would not be content with that. Really hoping for something at launch that does not have last-gen graphics.

guek

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:

Pikmin 3
Some other new ip

NOPE. Highly doubt it. It'll be a couch game, and personally I'm OK with that.

I'm predicting for launch...

Pack-in Tech Demos
Darksiders 2
Lego City Stories
Killer Freaks from Outer Space (ubisoft will rush it to make the launch window)
Rabids games
Ghost Recon Online
Batman Arkham City
Ninja Gaiden 3
A sports game, maybe Madden
A racing game port, probably Dirt, along with possibly an Excite truck game
A movie license game port, probably Spider-man or Avengers

By the end of 2012, we'll get:
Assassin's Creed port (a collection if we're lucky but probably just Revelations)
Metro Last Light
Aliens: Colonel Marines
Tekken Wii U
New Super Mario Bros. Mii
Pikmin 3

Fuck yeah, sounds like a great year to me. There'll be many more games we're currently unaware of to be revealed as well.

60_gig_PS3 said:
i would not be content with that. Really hoping for something at launch that does not have last-gen graphics.

It's to be expected, at least at launch. I'll be pleased if the ports all run at 1080p at 60fps

guek said:
i dunno, it really felt like such things weren't even finalized by this past E3. One year prior I could see, but 2 is pushing it.
2 years is how long it was from when the 3DS CPU/GPU package was chosen until the device was announced, and from the Iwata Asks series it seemed that was normal for Nintendo. Even when it was decided the system would be 3D and thus require a lot more power, they didn't change the CPU/GPU, they just clocked the GPU faster (making battery life worse).

TunaLover said:
Nintendo may have a major Japanese third party ally for Wii U next year. In an interview with Bloomberg Japan, Capcom founder and chairman Kenzo Tsujimoto expressed high expectations for the new platform. As evidence of the system's appeal, he noted the long lines to see the device at trade shows, saying that people would not line up if it were not interesting.

http://andriasang.com/comypl/

*laughing smile*

watershed

Banned
I don't think Nintendo is gonna launch the wii u with only one 1st party game in the form of a pack in tech demo. There has to be at least one headline 1st party title with probably 2 smaller titles for a total of 3 or so. I'm betting Pikmin 3 will be a launch title, along with some kind of minigame collection/tech demo, and one other Nintendo title, maybe SMBmii or some revived franchise out of left field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom