• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

popeutlal

It'll be really interesting how Nintendo competes with the competition next gen. Their specs will likely be inferior. Looking at DS, Wii and 3DS, their online service will be inferior. 3rd party support will first go to MS and Sony first.. as always. Wonder how long will the loyal Nintendo fanbase stay loyal after the WiiU.

Magic Ovaries said:
It'll be really interesting how Nintendo competes with the competition next gen. Their specs will likely be inferior. Looking at DS, Wii and 3DS, their online service will be inferior. 3rd party support will first go to MS and Sony first.. as always. Wonder how long will the loyal Nintendo fanbase stay loyal after the WiiU.
Yeah, WiiU was a total failure.

Dumb Nintendrones, always trying to smooth over how badly that console did!

sfried

Globox_82 said:
Wii U will be one of the biggest flops in video gaming history. Especially if MS unveils their next box.
And here we go again. Can we ban this sick filth already?
Magic Ovaries said:
Jesus, another one...

Magic Ovaries said:
The Wii is the only one of those which is relative to your point. As has been mentioned several times in the last few pages (amongst many other places), the DS and 3DS follow Nintendo's 2 generations behind handheld policy.

Deguello

Truth101 said:
Find the article, because no one believes you.

I seem remember that the two guys being interviewed actually reference a THIRD man who was able to transfer the game entirely to the screen on a lunch break or something. Ods bodkins! a 50% improvement already!

Azure J

I'm one of, if not the most mellow poster checking out this thread and posting on GAF in general and the last page or so has me clawing at the walls at the sheer levels of fuck going on in here. I think its damn sad that after a GAF member with legit connects stated that dev kits have a RV770LE/Radeon 4830 in there, someone still wants to cite Digital Foundry reports that gave an off hand guesstimation based on tech demos that were nothing more than proof of concepts. I think it's even more sad that people can't cope with the idea that next gen might see all three hardware makers close to parity with Wii U being either bottom rung a la PS2 or mostly similar to Xbox3. Wii U isn't using Flipper/10 year old tech that's hard for developers to make content for with their modern pipelines and engines for Christ's sake, it's using modern GPU technology ensuring that everything as of now save for high tier tessellation (should a mostly raw RV770 chip be it) is fair game on the system. Also, given that these kits are still pre-alpha there's always a bigger chance of things being changed, bumped up, features added and all kinds of other things. Stop shitting up the facts because you want the system to not live up to some standard you have and spreading that FUD all over this thread.

Meanwhile, the most exciting thing about Wii U is the tablet controller and it's gameplay possibilities, ShockingAlberto's post on the state of next gen needs to be stickied on the front page of GAF, and BurntPork, you need to calm down. Seriously.

guek

Banned
Iirc the interview said two guys were assigned to investigate wii u dev kits and that they got the alpha code running. However it says nothing about that being the whole wii u dev team. Considering they're adding wii u specific features, that seems unlikely

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Globox_82 said:
Wii U will be one of the biggest flops in video gaming history. Especially if MS unveils their next box.

That first period should be a comma and the "e" in "especially" should be lowercase.

I only noted that because I wanted to point out that the grammar is the absolute least of your post's problems.

BurntPork said:
That interview when they were talking about how it only took five weeks to port the game and two lines of code to get streaming going. I'm 99% sure that the two people who were interviewed were the only ones working on the port.

Oh BP, you so crazy.

BurntPork said:
I'm almost positive that was explicitly said. I'm not just assuming.

You have figs in your rectum.
Yes, but I'm not the one speaking with certainty on any of this.

I doubt there will be issues porting. I don't think MS or Sony will have that much more powerful hardware.

Well... I can definitely say the WiiU will have games of higher technical quality than Uncharted. Can't really say they'll look better because what is aesthetically pleasing to me, will be crap to another.

BurntPork

Banned
Magic Ovaries said:
We just need one more...

sfried

AzureJericho said:
I'm one of, if not the most mellow poster checking out this thread and posting on GAF in general and the last page or so has me clawing at the walls at the sheer levels of fuck going on in here. I think its damn sad that after a GAF member with legit connects stated that dev kits have a RV770LE/Radeon 4830 in there, someone still wants to cite Digital Foundry reports that gave an off hand guesstimation based on tech demos that were nothing more than proof of concepts. I think it's even more sad that people can't cope with the idea that next gen might see all three hardware makers close to parity with Wii U being either bottom rung a la PS2 or mostly similar to Xbox3. Wii U isn't using Flipper/10 year old tech that's hard for developers to make content for with their modern pipelines and engines for Christ's sake, it's using modern GPU technology ensuring that everything as of now save for high tier tessellation (should a mostly raw RV770 chip be it) is fair game on the system. Also, given that these kits are still pre-alpha there's always a bigger chance of things being changed, bumped up, features added and all kinds of other things. Stop shitting up the facts because you want the system to not live up to some standard you have and spreading that FUD all over this thread.

Meanwhile, the most exciting thing about Wii U is the tablet controller and it's gameplay possibilities, ShockingAlberto's post on the state of next gen needs to be stickied on the front page of GAF, and BurntPork, you need to calm down. Seriously.
Someone has to really redo the OP's first page. As in giving out facts confirmed so far. Then maybe a second section concerning reports and insider sources.

Instro

BurntPork said:
That interview when they were talking about how it only took five weeks to port the game and two lines of code to get streaming going. I'm 99% sure that the two people who were interviewed were the only ones working on the port.
Not quite. In the interview it was mentioned that it only took a few people to get the game on running on the console for E3. How many people would actually be working on the port itself is another matter.

BurntPork

Banned
guek said:
Iirc the interview said two guys were assigned to investigate wii u dev kits and that they got the alpha code running. However it says nothing about that being the whole wii u dev team. Considering they're adding wii u specific features, that seems unlikely
Ah! That's what's confusing me!

+1 crow eaten

Mlatador said:
So wait, the Wii is underpowerd compared to Xbox360 and PS3 everyone is saying.

Shouldn't it be "The Wii has only less power than the Xbox360 and PS3" instead?

Because, "underpowered" implies that something has not enough power to produce something it was designed to. Like a sportcar that cant even run 100 miles or CAN'T compete with other sportscarts.

Now with the Wii, the term underpowered doesn make sense.

The Wii is definitely powerful enough to compete with the other consoles, and also definitely powerful enough for what the developers of the console had in mind with it - so to speak, the Wii has enough power for it's purpose.

The Wii has been powerful enough to take ALL the Nintendo's franchises to a next level. Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Zelda Skyward sword with it's 1:1 Sword gameplay.

NONE of those games, and also many other NOT half heartedly programmed thrid Party Titles do look very good. So where the fuck is the problem?

The Wii cant render the same amount of poligons and fancy shaders and what not than PS360, therefore didn't get many ports of those games, BUT that wasn't even neccessary to become a VERY PROFITABLE product with still a TON of good games, and if people, especially ppl who call themselves gamers aren't able to recognize that, because they have the misconseption that evey game has to look as realistic as Skyrim or Call of Duty, then they are just pathetic graphic whores who don't know that a games beauty is not measured by sheer hardware power but rather by the artistic fidelity of developers who create those graphics (or comonly known as "art direction").

Skyward Sword does look very nice, because developers knew their hardware and used it proberly. They MADE it nice looking!

So this stupid nonsense about the Wii being "underpowerd" should stop! If Nintendos EAD department wasn't able to fullfill their vision of a Zelda game with 1:1 Swordplay/Motionplay - something the WHOLE CONCEPT of the goddamn WII is and always has been about - THEN you could say "oh fuck, I think the Wii and its components are underpowerd".

So many things I have played this gen on Wii have CLEARLY been quite a step forword compared to last gen when it comes to gameplay and fun.

So stop saying the Wii is "underpowerd".

Wait, what? Are you TRULY trying to argue that the Wii wasn't underpowered? The Wii compared to its COMPETITORS was and is underpowered. Games outside of Nintendo IP's look like utter shit. Even Nintendo's own IP's when compared to Dolphin emulator looks like shit. Multiplatform games that are also on the Wii look like shit compared to the 360/PS3. Many of the games could be confused for a last gen game.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Bending_Unit_22 said:
The Wii is the only one of those which is relative to your point. As has been mentioned several times in the last few pages (amongst many other places), the DS and 3DS follow Nintendo's 2 generations behind handheld policy.
the 3ds is at most only one generation behind

Mlatador

Banned
ClovingSteam said:
Wait, what? Are you TRULY trying to argue that the Wii wasn't underpowered? The Wii compared to its COMPETITORS was and is underpowered. Games outside of Nintendo IP's look like utter shit. Even Nintendo's own IP's when compared to Dolphin emulator looks like shit. Multiplatform games that are also on the Wii look like shit compared to the 360/PS3. Many of the games could be confused for a last gen game.

Yes, that's what the hell im trying to say.

IF the Wii's compeditors were market leaders due to the fact that they had "powerful" hardware, the "reference" so to speak for every other console, and Nintendo, because they didn't have that same amount of "hardware power" in their machine not, THEN the Wii would be "underpowered".

But since the reference this generation is the WII (the marked LEADER) and NOT "powerful consoles", I'm even saying that not only ISN'T the Wii NOT "underpowered" but their damn competitors are OVERPOWERED!!

hatchx

Banned
ClovingSteam said:

Red Steel 2 would like a word with you.

EloquentM said:
the 3ds is at most only one generation behind
Well, it's slowly getting closer but in a year or 2 the 3DS will be 2 gens behind again with most of its life ahead of it. The DS came out 1 year before the 360 and so was technically just 1 gen behind as well. Either way, the 3DS follows Nintendo's handheld policy regardless of the PSP and Vita.

hatchx

Banned
Mlatador said:

IF the Wii's compeditors were market leaders due to the fact that they had "powerful" hardware, the "reference" so to speak for every other console, and Nintendo, because they didn't have that same amount of "hardware power" in their machine, THEN the Wii would be "underpowered".

But since the reference this generation is the WII and NOT "powerful consoles", I'm even saying that not only ISN'T the Wii NOT "underpowered" but their damn competitors OVERPOWERED!!

Mlatador, I'm understanding your point, but it's a lost cause of an argument. You are arguing glass half full, they are arguing glass half empty.

Your saying 'the glass of water is full!'

and they are saying 'but the glass was not big enough! The wii glass should have been the size of the PS3 glass!'

......but because the wii glass is smaller, Nintendo was able to sell more of them and be more profitable. It's also something durable we could toss in our backpacks and bring to our friends. It wasn't an expensive glass only for the dinner room, it was a cheap little glass that the kids could use.

....what am I on?

Boney

Banned
Bending_Unit_22 said:
Well, it's slowly getting closer but in a year or 2 the 3DS will be 2 behind again with most of its life ahead of it. The DS came out 1 year before the 360 and so was technically just 1 gen behind as well.
Gameboy was like 4 gens behind what a trooper

BurntPork

Banned
Boney said:
does he even eat those crows he says he's eating?
I try, but they keep flying away.

Mlatador said:

IF the Wii's compeditors were market leaders due to the fact that they had "powerful" hardware, the "reference" so to speak for every other console, and Nintendo, because they didn't have that same amount of "hardware power" in their machine not, THEN the Wii would be "underpowered".

But since the reference this generation is the WII (the marked LEADER) and NOT "powerful consoles", I'm even saying that not only ISN'T the Wii NOT "underpowered" but their damn competitors are OVERPOWERED!!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
StreetsAhead said:
Or, maybe, a new IP? Maybe?

That would be nice, but I can't see Nintendo's Mario team doing that just yet :p.

Mlatador said:

IF the Wii's compeditors were market leaders due to the fact that they had "powerful" hardware, the "reference" so to speak for every other console, and Nintendo, because they didn't have that same amount of "hardware power" in their machine, THEN the Wii would be "underpowered".

But since the reference this generation is the WII and NOT "powerful consoles", I'm even saying that not only ISN'T the Wii NOT "underpowered" but their damn competitors OVERPOWERED!!

What? The only reason the Wii is the market leader is because of Wii Sports/ Wii Fit. That is the HOOK that got folks who hadn't purchased a system before to buy the Wii. We all have seen the polls that show many folks who bought the Wii never bothered to buy another game after Wii Sports or Wii Fit. It was a hook and it worked. The Wii hardware was pretty much last gen tech. The PS3/360 weren't overpowered. The hardware in these two machines are ANCIENT. Have you not seen how Skyrim looks on these boxes?

The 360/PS3 are not overpowered. They evolved with the tech available. With the Wii, Nintendo went as cheap as possible with tech as old as possible that would still allow it to be labeled as an upgrade. Nintendo was making a very nice profit from day 1 wit every single piece of hardware sold. The ONLY ones who benefited from the old hardware was Nintendo and its investors. Developers? No. Nintendo's customers? No. It was Nintendo and its shareholders that benefited.

Boney said:
Gameboy was like 4 gens behind what a trooper
Indeed, though other than color it was basically an Atari 2600 and so 2 generations old at the time.

EDIT: Wait, 4 gens before the Gameboy would have been a pong machine at best, maybe not indeed.

Gaborn

hatchx said:
Mlatador, I'm understanding your point, but it's a lost cause of an argument. You are arguing glass half full, they are arguing glass half empty.

and they are saying 'but the glass was not big enough! The wii glass should have been the size of the PS3 glass!'

......but because the wii glass is smaller, Nintendo was able to sell more of them and be more profitable. It's also something durable we could toss in our backpacks and bring to our friends. It wasn't an expensive glass only for the dinner room, it was a cheap little glass that the kids could use.

....what am I on?

I think the real problem is that too many people on GAF don't really understand what the terms "worth" and "value" mean. Both are subjective and depend on the consumer in question. $599 for example was actually a great price for the PS3 - from a technical stand point. the PS3's technology justifies the price - But that has nothing to do with how consumers were going to react to that. Similarly, even though the Wii was significantly less powerful than the PS3 or 360, and the price it was sold at was probably "too expensive" for the TECH level (in other words the PS3 was a better VALUE from a component stand point) that is completely irrelevant because it was the price people were willing to pay for that technology and those capabilities for that purpose.

GAFers keep insisting that people SHOULD want to have a super powerful console and that price won't be a limiting factor but ultimately I don't see that being the case. Price has ALWAYS been THE limiting factor and the level of technology is IRRELEVANT to the broader market. Yes it would be cool if I could have a holodeck installed in my home but no I'm not going to spend $300,000 to do it (made up numbers of course). VALUE is not the same as WORTH. Just because the technology might justify a certain price if a console goes above a certain point most consumers will be reluctant to adopt it.

Mlatador

Banned
hatchx said:

....what am I on?

No, I don't think that's true. It's not the question about "what glass is full or empty", it's the question of "which glass has the RIGHT size".

The Wii glass has the RIGHT SIZE this generation, by a) improving the power of their machine less than what they used to do in previous generations a la N64 -> Gamecube BUT therefore putting the development money more towards INNOVATION. Like 50% improving the hardware power and 50% focusing on innovation. THEREFORE the gab between the Gamecube and the WII wasn't as BIG - hardwarewise - as the gab between the N64-> Gamecube.

The market proved them right. THAT (or something like that) was the RIGHT Ratio of improving hardware power to innovation.

That's why the Wii's glass has the RIGHT SIZE.

Therefore the Wii is not underpowered. It just has as much power as it needs to have!

What the PS360 did was a wrong calculation. They focused 100% on "hardware power" and 0% on innovation, made TONS of losses and only YEARS later were able to catch up in the innovation department.

That's why the PS360s glass has the wrong size

The Wii's competitors are therefore OVERPOWERED, and in this generations context that's a bad thing.

Globox_82 said:

Its not inconceivable that it could be a relative flop compared to Wii but it is all but guaranteed some level of success thanks to the brand alone -- the Wii is still selling respectable numbers, and come next year when no competitor is near ready enough, everyone is going to be talking about 'the new Wii'. We haven't even seen Nintendo games for it yet, neither their casual or hardcore offerings, we've only seen what they expressly said were tech demos. The next time we see Wii-U they will be blowing the doors off with new titles.

Only a fool would underestimate Nintendo after this generation. Even the 3DS, which was practically sold still-born thanks to Nintendo hubris in March has been turned around, three months at over 250k in the US, the last two weeks in Japan being in excess of 100k units, and its on track to beat the DS' first year before Vita has even launched.

BurntPork

Banned
Mlatador said:
No, I don't think that's true. It's not the question about "what glass is full or empty", it's the question of "which glass has the RIGHT size".

The Wii glass has the RIGHT SIZE this generation, by a) improving the power of their machine less than what they used to do in previous generations a la N64 -> Gamecube BUT therefore putting the development money more towards INNOVATION. Like 50% improving the hardware power and 50% focusing on innovation. THEREFORE the gab between the Gamecube and the WII wasn't as BIG - hardwarewise - as the gab between the N64-> Gamecube.

The market proved them right. THAT (or something like that) was the RIGHT Ratio of improving hardware power to innovation.

Therefore the Wii is not underpowered. It just has as much power as it needs to have!

What the PS360 did was a wrong calculation. They focused 100% on "hardware power" and 0% on innovation, made TONS of losses and only YEARS later were able to catch up in the innovation department.

The Wii's competitors are therefore OVERPOWERED, and in this generations context that's a bad thing.
Wow.

Wow.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Boney

Banned
Mlatador said:

other than innovation™ you can't look at this stuff on a vacuum. If 3rd parties invested on new technologies to take advantage of ps3/360, well even if they bet on the wrong horse, it still makes wii underpowered. Only for the fact that developing for it was too costly, which is exactly what they wanted to avoid.

Oh and BP, please start reading your posts if you're gonna react like that.

AzaK

Personally, while I admit I'm a gadget/tech whore and would love the Wii U to be an uber machine able to stand toe to toe (or better) with the next XBox/PS; really, if I have to choose, the biggest thing on my mind is how will the other system services play out.

We're going to get Nintendo games, that's a given - including Pikmin. It's going to be port friendly; either up or down. What I want to see is if they're going to do something interesting with online and other services like movies, digital distribution and the like.

Essentially, I'd like to see them build a coherent, feature rich ecosystem built around the Nintendo universe and their unique approach to things like this. They tend to be a bit cautious/slow at really pumping up the features of their products so I'd like that to change.

Vinci

Danish

I cannot even follow this thread anymore.

Well, other than Gaborn and ShockingAlberto.

And good lord, people, are some of you still coming into threads and talking about power as anything more than a pissing pole bullet point for a fraction of gaming's possible audience? Are you really?

Grow up. It's one metric a person can use to measure the value of a game, but it's supplemented by a shit-ton of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom