• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMufasa

Nintendo usually has a 90 minute press conference, right?

First 15 minutes - Some kind of BS intro, talking about momentum, mostly about 3DS, talk about sales

16-30 minutes - Upcoming 3DS games, some surprises. Maybe 3DS zelda

31-45 minutes - Demo of a 3DS game or features that while neat, few people really care about. Perhaps reveal 3DS 2.0

46-60 minutes - Somehow find a way to talk about sales again. There will be charts

61-75 minutes - Re-unveil the Wii U, have a trailer montage, some surprises here and there. Probably have a 3rd party rep come up on stage (ubisoft? EA?) to talk about how they're "100% on board this time! Promise!"

76-85 minutes - Demo the pack in game that'll have widespread appeal but is very uninteresting to watch

86-90 minutes - One big surprise no one was expecting

Post conference interview:

Geoff asks Reggie about online, launch lineup, price, multiple Upad controllers, etc.

Reggie starts every goddamn response with "You know, it's great..." and then proceeds to deflect and avoid every single question.

Na I think it'll be like the Wii reveal.

- Start of with WiiU game real

- Talk about WiiU and features

- Another montage

- Stage demo of family game

- Stage demo of FPS

- 3DS stuff

- Launch info

Wii U will be 199 US dollars

Nintendo wins E3

actually i wouldn't be surprised if it were 249, same as the Wii. i think it's pretty obvious now that the 3DS launching at 249 was a decision made after its well-received unveiling, and that they didn't really lose much by cutting the price since it was always going to launch within the 169-189 price range anyway. given the fallout from that decision nintendo probably doesn't want to repeat the same mistake with wii u, so they'll launch it low out the gate to quell fears of an inevitable price drop.

AzaK

I want a hype-o-thon.

5 seconds of "3DS, more games coming, check the shops later"

Then 89:55 of Wii U blowout. Reveal of both black and white consoles at launch.
Mega montage of 3rd party titles coming. Fade to black....pause...the words "scanning..." appear on screen and then a massive gameplay reveal of Metroid Prime - Unleashed.

Iwata comes out on stage as the reveal finishes with his slickest hairdo to date, gold lapels on his suit and cufflinks in the shape of dollar signs.

Reggie is no where to be seen.

"Welcome to Wii U"

Iwata talks about Wii U, core gamers, online, digital distribution and the unprecedented 3rd party support Wii U will have. Introduces some "special guests" to elaborate.

On walks the head of Blizzard...."Many people have asked us if we will ever bring diablo to consoles..." crowd explodes.

On walks Gabe Newell......crowd reassembles itself so it can explode again.

You did ask for my fantasy right?
In reality, Reggie will come out and scowl at us and tell us how thankful we should be to be getting a Nintendo console in HD. Nothing about the specs will be revealed, he will tell us we will get "fantastic online" and revolutionary experiences without really telling us anything. My love of Nintendo fades just that little bit more.

I want a hype-o-thon.

5 seconds of "3DS, more games coming, check the shops later"

Then 89:55 of Wii U blowout. Reveal of both black and white consoles at launch.
Mega montage of 3rd party titles coming. Fade to black....pause...the words "scanning..." appear on screen and then a massive gameplay reveal of Metroid Prime - Unleashed.

Iwata comes out on stage as the reveal finishes with his slickest hairdo to date, gold lapels on his suit and cufflinks in the shape of dollar signs.

Reggie is no where to be seen.

"Welcome to Wii U"

Iwata talks about Wii U, core gamers, online, digital distribution and the unprecedented 3rd party support Wii U will have. Introduces some "special guests" to elaborate.

On walks the head of Blizzard...."Many people have asked us if we will ever bring diablo to consoles..." crowd explodes.

On walks Gabe Newell......crowd reassembles itself so it can explode again.

You did ask for my fantasy right?
In reality, Reggie will come out and scowl at us and tell us how thankful we should be to be getting a Nintendo console in HD. Nothing about the specs will be revealed, he will tell us we will get "fantastic online" and revolutionary experiences without really telling us anything. My love of Nintendo fades just that little bit more.

Needs F-Zero

Instro

Well console gaming is supposed to be the affordable alternative to PC gaming, or at least it used to be. $399 is my max price point for any console though, I don't care what it does.

I'd be cool with the following:

$400 for the console with a Wii Sports-esqe pack-in, HDMI cable, controller w/ charging dock
$40 for ports of Batman, Darksiders and the like
$50 for launch window (3-6 months) 1st party titles
$60 for 3rd party titles
2 strong 1st party titles at launch and 2-4 more o finish off the fiscal year in March.
Rebranded/retooled Wii accesories for 30% less than current retail

mclem

Kid Icarus isn't done yet, and Sakurai said work on a new Smash Bros. (heck, 2) wouldn't start until it's finished.

It comes out Q1 2012, they won't have anything ready for E3.

They could still negotiate some guest characters. That's more from the business side of things than the creative side.

m.i.s.

Banned
I don't get it. People want a considerable jump over this gen but won't pay more than $300.

Speaking only for myself, I want a games console for a reasonable price. Under $300 but ideally $250 (I don't care if it's a souped up 360) with Nintendo franchises and key 3rd party offerings. I also want Nintendo to loosen the purse strings and spend money on a franchise that will have as much impact in the West as Monster Hunter in the East.

If you want a powerhouse with additional movie playback and PC features, that's on the cutting edge, you could always wait for Xbox3 or PS4.

Javier

I often fail to understand people whinging about 50USD difference in a console price, a console that they will buy 40 games at 50USD a pop for.
There's a difference between buying several $50 games on a 5-6 years time frame than having to pay $300-$400 for a console right off the bat.

I'm calling $299 with something like Chase Mii pre-installed in the console. And a WiiMote+ included as well.

daakusedo

Thinking of it, it's hard to believe the next smash bros development is not already started.
That's a game needed quickly and if it really begin after the end of kid icarus, a game with no guaranteed high sales, there should be some big games coming for first years.Believe.

DCKing

I'm thinking 349 dollars, 299 dollars if Nintendo's willing to bleed a bit at launch. We're talking some pretty cool hardware here, but frankly it is not the creme de la creme either. Given the specs we're seeing now the Wii U will be less cutting edge in the box than both the GameCube and N64, which both launched at $199 (though that corrects to ~$270 with inflation for the N64). Nintendo should be able to produce the base console for some $200-250, even if it has a fancy blue laser drive, a modern IBM tech CPU and tailored AMD GPU. The rumours of it having 1GB of RAM are already pointing to Nintendo cutting costs, because it would be entirely possible to ship the thing with 2GB of DDR3 with a little added cost.

The Upad will probably cost them $50, and the WiiMotionPlus $10. Throw in an HDMI cable, sensor bar, power adaptor and packaging and shipping, and I think you're looking at a console that costs ~$330 to produce at launch. Given that it's panic mode Nintendo, we'll probably see an aggressively priced $299 at launch.

I hope that Nintendo differentiates SKUs this time. Package up a white Wii U 16GB with Wii U Sports or something like that for $299 and package up a black Wii U 32GB/320GB HDD with COD:MW the Collection or Darksiders II for $399 and let dudebros and hardcores cover some of their losses.

TunaLover

I'm not sure about a special bundle for a western game, Nintendo never has done that before, in Japan however a special bundle with DQX and HDD seems a given.

royalan

I see little to no talk of hard drives in the hardware predictions. Is it that set in stone that Nintendo won't be incorporating one into the Wii U?

If so, I think that might be a big mistake...

I see little to no talk of hard drives in the hardware predictions. Is is that set in stone that Nintendo won't be incorporating one into the Wii U?

If so, I think that might be a big mistake...

It lowers cost of the product for both Nintendo and consumers.
Besides you can buy a huge HDD for cheap and use it in the system.

DCKing

Besides you can buy a huge HDD for cheap and use it in the system.
Unless Nintendo adopts USB 3.0 in the Wii U it's going to be a second rate option. The disk drive will probably get higher throughput than the hard disk in that case.

But yeah, I do think that it's more realistic Nintendo sticks with one package, though maybe one with more onboard flash memory. An HDD in a system isn't very expensive, but it does involve some rethinking of the box design.

I dunno.
MS gets away with it, do they not?
The HDDless models are the biggest sellers, and they still get all the downloads.
You just have to communicate with people that they can upgrade.

m.i.s.

Banned
That seems like a very arbitrary number. Toys should cost what they're worth. Not everybody has to buy every toy.

The historical precedent is that both Playstation and Playstation 2, the most successful consoles of their generation and the two most successful consoles ever, launched at the $299.99 US price point.

That's not to say that there weren't other factors involved but the 299.99 price point did enable Sony to reach the $200 and then the sub-$200 price points relatively quickly to reach families and casual consumers.

Caramello

I'm thinking 349 dollars, 299 dollars if Nintendo's willing to bleed a bit at launch. We're talking some pretty cool hardware here, but frankly it is not the creme de la creme either. Given the specs we're seeing now the Wii U will be less cutting edge in the box than both the GameCube and N64, which both launched at $199 (though that corrects to ~$270 with inflation for the N64). Nintendo should be able to produce the base console for some $200-250, even if it has a fancy blue laser drive, a modern IBM tech CPU and tailored AMD GPU. The rumours of it having 1GB of RAM are already pointing to Nintendo cutting costs, because it would be entirely possible to ship the thing with 2GB of DDR3 with a little added cost.

Having 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB doesn't really mean they're cutting costs. It's just their way of balancing component cost and amounts to create the most efficient console they can for a specific budget.

The Upad will probably cost them $50, and the WiiMotionPlus $10. Throw in an HDMI cable, sensor bar, power adaptor and packaging and shipping, and I think you're looking at a console that costs ~$330 to produce at launch. Given that it's panic mode Nintendo, we'll probably see an aggressively priced $299 at launch.

I can see the Wii Remote Plus costing them around $10 but I would imagine the Wii U controller will cost Nintendo closer to $35 than $50. The screen and battery are the what will make it more expensive and I don't think they're worth $40. I'd say around $25.

I hope that Nintendo differentiates SKUs this time. Package up a white Wii U 16GB with Wii U Sports or something like that for $299 and package up a black Wii U 32GB/320GB HDD with COD:MW the Collection or Darksiders II for $399 and let dudebros and hardcores cover some of their losses.

I think Nintendo will have differentiating bundles for the holidays but it'll be all first party stuff I'm sure. They won't add a hard drive and they'll want to maintain that lower price point across all demographics. If the system is $299 and it has better versions of the games those "dudebro's" love, then it'd be possible they may bite on a Wii U instead of a similarly priced PS3 and 360 to play them.

DCKing

Having 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB doesn't really mean they're cutting costs. It's just their way of balancing component cost and amounts to create the most efficient console they can for a specific budget.
You're just using fancier words for cutting costs ;)
Is that you, Reggie?

Anyway, I'd sure like an HDD in my Wii U that developers can make use of. Let's hope Nintendo sees a market for people like me.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ok, bastards, which one of you got Luckyman undeservedly banned?

I'm calling a price point between 299.99 and 349.99. I think there will be software already installed on it, maybe the Mii style games we already saw demoed and some other stuff. Kind of like what the 3DS had at launch. Instead of shipping with a game on a disc or a cart, they just have it pre-installed.

I'm also beginning to think with the recent comments about how the next LoZ would still have motion controls that we'll see a Wiimote and nunchuck included in the box.

guek

Banned
Ok, bastards, which one of you got Luckyman undeservedly banned?

there's hope for this board after all!

it lets me enjoy the board a lot more when I see moderators...moderating

I saw you had good times lately :p

YOU
homer-pointing.gif

there's been a slew of rumors flying around lately. Some crazy crap about a 1K Gb of embedded ram and whatnot and a $600 console. I was waiting for you to show up and sort that out :p

VerTiGo

Banned
I have to say that I am very excited about the Wii U at this point. As a mid-generation console of sorts, you see that Nintendo, as well as Apple are looking to blur the line that separates handheld and home entertainment devices.

While, I do believe that most games will still use the Wiimote Plus and Nunchuck for control, the Wii U Pad, is a great hybrid device. It not only does what the DSi XL did, and cater to those who play handhelds at home, but it also reinforces the tablet future of entertainment inside and outside the home.

What I am really hoping is that 3DS can share information with the Wii U to play 3DS games on TV. Or perhaps have downloadable DSi or eShop titles be compatible with both platforms (afterall, the Wii U brings dual screens to the home). There's a convergence of game design on the Wii U, using what Nintendo learned with the DS and Wii and combined it to create a single ploatform.

Similarly, I can see Apple using its devices alongside Apple TV to do something similar but not as hardcore, but I don't see Apple releasing a traditional controller just yet.

After this generation, either Nintendo or Apple may be the first to bring a device to market that is powerful and capable enough to satisfy both casual and hardcore gaming tastes with a hybrid device that can leave the home space.

VerTiGo

Banned
I doubt Nintendo will go as high as $399. I fail to see them realistically releasing above $299. It's not their style to release multiple SKUs either, and I support Nintendo's continued efforts to do so, outside of software bundles.

I can see it releasing at $299 without a Wiimote Plus and Nunchuck and just with the U Pad.

Wiimote Plus are forward compatible. But, the Wiimote will be in need of some improvement sooner than later.

Nintendo may want to bundle Wiimote and nunchuck with the system as well, in addition to the U Pad. Maybe not at launch though, because at launch the selling gimmick is the U Pad itself and most software will be designed to show of this controller's strengths with traditional and hardcore game design.

I would totally pay $600 for Wii U if it had an awesome pack in. This is mainly because I have a job.

How about this, since you are willing to pay 600 dollars for a Wii U, when it releases for 299.99, you can buy me one as well as yourself and you will have spent 600 dollars. Ill cover shipping and tax ;) Win Win in my book... you have a job and clearly no bills to pay. I have a job and several bills to pay. Stimulate the economy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom