• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see the Wii Remote Plus costing them around $10 but I would imagine the Wii U controller will cost Nintendo closer to $35 than $50. The screen and battery are the what will make it more expensive and I don't think they're worth $40. I'd say around $25.

You're forgetting the cost of the unknown "lagless" streaming tech they are using in the controller. So that might bring the cost right back to $50 like DCKing suggested.

The screen itself will probably cost somewhere close to $20 (unless they multi-touch, then closer to $25-$30) and the battery probably about $10-$15
the plastic, buttons, camera, LEDs and gyros/accelerometers shouldn't cost more than a total of $10

I think total, the controllers raw cost to Nintendo won't be less than $45 and no more than $60

VerTiGo

Banned
You're forgetting the cost of the unknown "lagless" streaming tech they are using in the controller. So that might bring the cost right back to $50 like DCKing suggested.

The screen itself will probably cost somewhere close to $20 (unless they multi-touch, then closer to $25-$30) and the battery probably about $10-$15
the plastic, buttons, camera, LEDs and gyros/accelerometers shouldn't cost more than a total of $10

I think total, the controllers raw cost to Nintendo won't be less than $45 and no more than $60

Are we including labor and machinery into these costs? I understand that Nintendo does not manufacturer hardware itself, and probably outsources to Mexico or India, or somewhere with low taxes. I don't find these estimates believable.

Are we including labor and machinery into these costs? I understand that Nintendo does not manufacturer hardware itself, and probably outsources to Mexico or India, or somewhere with low taxes. I don't find these estimates believable.

When I said $50 before retail I included that. And Nintendo does their manufacturing in Taiwan normally.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Since we're on the topic of price I would like to bring up an interesting co-relation. Playstation Vita is $250 for wifi and $300 for 3G. It has bleeding edge graphics and a touch screen and sensor on the back. I'm sure I'm missing other features. The R&D that went into this couldn't have been much more than what's going on for Wii U. All the technology they're using has either already been developed (streaming) or has been used (touch screen) before. It could be argued that Vita is actually more bleeding edge than Wii U. I'm not sure how much of a loss Sony is taking at that price, but I know they said they had a price point in mind when building it. Nintendo has to be doing the same thing. The only difference is that they will likely make a profit on it day one. I'm not sure Sony will be there with Vita. I don't know if this helps or not in speculating on what the Wii U price will be, but going off of that alone, I would think it would be under $300. I'm guessing they could potentially turn a profit or at minimum break even at that price.

StevieP

Banned
Since we're on the topic of price I would like to bring up an interesting co-relation. Playstation Vita is $250 for wifi and $300 for 3G. It has bleeding edge graphics and a touch screen and sensor on the back. I'm sure I'm missing other features. The R&D that went into this couldn't have been much more than what's going on for Wii U. All the technology they're using has either already been developed (streaming) or has been used (touch screen) before. It could be argued that Vita is actually more bleeding edge than Wii U. I'm not sure how much of a loss Sony is taking at that price, but I know they said they had a price point in mind when building it. Nintendo has to be doing the same thing. The only difference is that they will likely make a profit on it day one. I'm not sure Sony will be there with Vita. I don't know if this helps or not in speculating on what the Wii U price will be, but going off of that alone, I would think it would be under $300. I'm guessing they could potentially turn a profit or at minimum break even at that price.

Vita is about as bleeding edge as Wii U, in that it's using mature 2008/9-era tech in a smart way to fit within a price point. Both will be taking a hardware loss as well, if we believe what we read.

AzaK

I saw you had good times lately :p
I didn't know it was possible to both love and hate someone at the same time :^)

Any developments in anything that you can flick our way lherre? Either hardware or software (OS etc)? Any new kits on the horizon even?

Unless Nintendo adopts USB 3.0 in the Wii U it's going to be a second rate option. The disk drive will probably get higher throughput than the hard disk in that case.
While USB 3 would obviously be preferred, the reason I want an HDD (As an addon to save initial costs) isn't really due to speed, but storage capacity, so if it's USB 2 only, I'm fine with that.

Anything to lower the cost so they can either come out at a cheaper price or add/upgrade tech in the box is all good IMO.

^^^ His suggested title change didn't help either.

That's not to say that there weren't other factors involved but not using high-cost components enabled Sony to reach the $200 and then the sub-$200 price points relatively quickly to reach families and casual consumers.

fixed

Actually there's nothing bleeding edge about Vita. Vita is just off the shelf parts that were readily available. That said any smart company would build their product that way. Nintendo has always done that and that won't change. MS gets a pass because they were trying to get their foot in the door, although they never really went overboard. PS3 was an anomaly in all this. PS1 and PS2 are enough proof of that IMO. PS3 was primarily than ego driven and came back to bite them hard. I'm expecting PS4 to be a return back to their "roots". It will take a loss, but not a huge one. Probably about $100-$125 on the launch unit with included accessories. Though they may target a slightly smaller amount. No less than $75 though.

snesfreak

Banned
Luckyman
Banned

Carlton-Dance-GIF.gif

Wonder if it was for his crap in this thread, or one of the 20 other Nintendo threads he constantly trolled in?
In before I get banned for going off-topic.

Anyway, how bout dat Wii U?

I'm sticking with $299. Even that is expensive for a Nintendo console and Reggie has stated that they do not want to be forced into another early price drop situation. The system will come with the tablet, obviously, and some preloaded games. I can see them dropping the price on the Wii Remote + and forcing people to buy that and the nunchuck separately. People are willing to shell out additional cash for games and controllers at launch as long as everything is reasonably priced...

PetrCobra

Whatever it costs in US it will be +half the price here in Europe. I just hope I'll have the money to afford it by then, the rest is irrelevant to me.

MDX

Whatever it costs in US it will be +half the price here in Europe. I just hope I'll have the money to afford it by then, the rest is irrelevant to me.

Well... could very well be we may never see the WiiU.

Akio Matsumura, Sept. 29, 2011:
In the last weeks, I have been speaking constantly with Japanese government and party leaders on this urgent issue. Surprisingly, most of them were not aware of the dangerous situation. I, along with many eminent scientists, are emphasizing the precarious situation of the fourth reactor that contains 1,535 nuclear fuel rods in the pool and is balanced on the second floor, outside of the reactor containment vessel. If the fuel rods spill onto the ground, disaster will ensue and force Tokyo and Yokohama to close, creating a gigantic evacuation zone. All scientists I have talked with say that if the structure collapses we will be in a situation well beyond where science has ever gone. The destiny of Japan will be changed and the disaster will certainly compromise the security of neighboring countries and the rest of the world in terms of health, migration and geopolitics. The Japanese government should immediately create an independent assessment team to determine the structural integrity of the spent fuel pool and its supporting structure. This is of the highest importance: the structure’s security is critical to the country’s future.

Presently Reactor 4 is falling apart :
The wall of the south side is falling apart at reactor 4. Reactor 4 is in the most serious situation. It is assumed that if another aftershock hits it to drop the spent fuel pool hung in the building, the entire area in eastern Japan would be too contaminated to be inhabitable.
...something like “fire” was observed beside reactor 4. Since then, a strong light has been set toward Fukuichi camera as if it was hiding something by white out. However, thanks to JNN Fukushima live camera, it was confirmed that the wall of reactor 4 was lost on the south side. At least since 12/5/2011, the wall is missing.
http://fukushima-diary.com/2011/12/...utm_campaign=Feed:+FukushimaDiary+(Fukushima+

jacksrb

I'd be cool with the following:

$400 for the console with a Wii Sports-esqe pack-in, HDMI cable, controller w/ charging dock
$40 for ports of Batman, Darksiders and the like
$50 for launch window (3-6 months) 1st party titles
$60 for 3rd party titles
2 strong 1st party titles at launch and 2-4 more o finish off the fiscal year in March.
Rebranded/retooled Wii accesories for 30% less than current retail

Prepare to not be cool, then. $60 games will be the standard, even though something like Batman may be $50, depending on the changes they make and the launch lineup.

The entire industry needs to adopt a more open pricing structure.
Games that have small teams and small budgets should not cost the same as games with $40 budgets.

But we already have games launching at a $40 or even $30 price.
And games that are launching at $60 price collapse within weeks.

The problem is that niche games need to stop launching at the same price as Call of Duty. They need to make the package more appealing to get by lowering the introduction price.

Log4Girlz

How about this, since you are willing to pay 600 dollars for a Wii U, when it releases for 299.99, you can buy me one as well as yourself and you will have spent 600 dollars. Ill cover shipping and tax ;) Win Win in my book... you have a job and clearly no bills to pay. I have a job and several bills to pay. Stimulate the economy!

Well let's see. $299.99 will forever be a better price than $600. $249 is even better than $299. Now if I had my choice of a half step generational leap at $249 vs. a monstrously powerful beast at $600 (with game included), I would pick the beast. Its not that expensive for a guy like me. Now, again $299 is the better price point, but big sacrifices must be made to achieve that price point. The real question is what price point between $249 (an ideal price, not too expensive, and not so inexpensive that a device appears cheap) and say, $499 a machine will be. $499 really starts to hit people's wallets, and they are not willing to spend so much for what amounts to a toy. Sigh.

Shanadeus

Banned
Well let's see. $299.99 will forever be a better price than $600. $249 is even better than $299. Now if I had my choice of a half step generational leap at $249 vs. a monstrously powerful beast at $600 (with game included), I would pick the beast. Its not that expensive for a guy like me. Now, again $299 is the better price point, but big sacrifices must be made to achieve that price point. The real question is what price point between $249 (an ideal price, not too expensive, and not so inexpensive that a device appears cheap) and say, $499 a machine will be. $499 really starts to hit people's wallets, and they are not willing to spend so much for what amounts to a toy. Sigh.

I see where you're coming from, especially when you know that that 600 dollar beast will end up 200-300 dollars cheaper within 2-3 years.

I'd be cool with the following:

$400 for the console with a Wii Sports-esqe pack-in, HDMI cable, controller w/ charging dock
$40 for ports of Batman, Darksiders and the like
$50 for launch window (3-6 months) 1st party titles
$60 for 3rd party titles
2 strong 1st party titles at launch and 2-4 more o finish off the fiscal year in March.
Rebranded/retooled Wii accesories for 30% less than current retail

$300 console, with Wii Sports Trilogy, Wii Fit Trilogy, Wii Play Trilogy, and NSMB Mii packed in on the built-in flash. Comes with the system, a tablet controller, sensor bar, power brick, Wiimote, and Nunchuk. The only reason it's coming with the Wii-mote and nunchuk is to guarantee to 3rd parties that both peripherals will be available to all users.

GOTY Editions of the big 2011 (along with big 2009-2010 titles like Arkham Asylum) 3rd party titles at launch at the same price as the GOTY editions for other consoles. Nintendo should encourage this behaviour for the launch window. Having an available library of big titles of the last couple of years would be very keen.

Normal 3rd party prices for 3rd party games.

Nintendo prices their software at whatever they feel is proper for the market. I'd be abso-fucking-thrilled if they released Mario titles at $50 a pop though.

Prepare to not be cool, then. $60 games will be the standard, even though something like Batman may be $50, depending on the changes they make and the launch lineup.

I know $40 is pushing it, but can they really expect to move Arkham City, along with DLC, almost a year after release for $50? Granted ther other titles will be coming along in 2012, and if developers manage to add useful tablet controller support/functionallity the price would be justified. Given the past however, I wouldn't bet on it. Though I am intrested to see what Capcom Wii U efforts are gonna be like? A glimpse into MT Framework 3(I settle for 2.75) perhaps?

EDIT:So what happens it the next Call of Duty is unveiled at Nintendo's Press Conf. at E3 this year, with impressive tablet support? Dudebros am cry?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Lights deems out, a trailer starts.

The screen is black, all you can hear is the faint sound of engine's roar with the flash of a few racing cars passing by, but it's too blurry and fast to tell exactly what they are.

Produced by:
KwmcG.jpg

Another shot of the racing cars, engines blasting.

Developed by:
7XF0W.jpg

We then get a clear shot of the Blue Falcon along with the other 3 original racers not far behind (Golden Fox, Wild Goose and the Fire Stingray) with this music fading in.

Another black screen with the (tentative) title: F-Zero HD

And EVERYBODY in the audience loose their goddamn mind.

So yeah, that was my crazy post of I have nothing more to do for tonight.

EDIT: AND LOOK AT THAT! Just as I finish this post, Nintendo reveals that the 3DS Ambassadors are getting F-Zero Maximum Velocity. It's a sign people! It's gonna happen! Bookmark this post! E3 2012, F-Zero for Wii U!

Log4Girlz

I see where you're coming from, especially when you know that that 600 dollar beast will end up 200-300 dollars cheaper within 2-3 years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just talking about me. We can ask Sony how disastrous $600 launch point is. Though, they did not release something significantly more powerful than the Xbox 360 despite being more expensive and having a year over them. The design was somewhat sloppy from what I've read, leading to unnecessary costs. I just...wonder what kind of machine Sony could release in 2013 if they chose a really elegant design with mostly off the shelf parts (hardware will always be somewhat tweaked)...just look at the shit Vita can throw out. Beastly machine. But then again its $249, a very sweet spot for me and a lot of people here at GAF cheered...but sadly this may be above people's handheld budget.

Caramello

They helped on Mario Kart. And I doubt it took their entire team.

They did most of the tracks, you make it seem like they a bit of help with the art. Of course it didn't take their entire team, the leader of the Mario Kart team at Retro said he left development late to work on other projects. Go read Iwata Asks.

Besides, you said Retro is not for a racing game when they've just done a superb job on one. Retro is for anything.

radcliff

Will never happen.

We don't even know whether Retro is any good when on its own, so I'm not sure if it's actually so sad either.

They wouldn't be on their own if they made a new IP. Most likely they would still be under Kensuke Tenabe's SPD 3 umbrella.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'd love to see all of these on Wii U.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, Pikmin, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Excite Truck, Wave Race. What else am I missing here?

I also think it would be good for Wii U's success if Retro developed a first person shooter. They need to build an audience for them again and Nintendo systems have been sorely lacking in that genre since N64.

I also think Star Fox needs to either stick with vehicles only or fix the on foot sections. It has potential to be really good though, especially multiplayer if they did it right. Think WarHawk for PS3.

A new IP would be nice, right guys?

At this point, doing some thing from the 8 bit days, like say STAR FUCKING TROPICS, would pretty much be like a new IP. So few people remember the games at this point, it would basically be like having something new.

I would LOVE to see Retro do a new Star Tropics game on Wii-U. F-Zero isn't for them. What needs to happen is Nintendo needs to search out everyone who worked on F-Zero GX and hire them back as a team to make F-Zero UX.

BY2K

Membero Americo
They helped on Mario Kart. And I doubt it took their entire team.

They did half the tracks. I'd say they were involved a lot.

And we KNOW they are working on something for the Wii U "that everybody wants them to do". So it's obviously something from an existing franchise.

wsippel

Banned

And we KNOW they are working on something for the Wii U "that everybody wants them to do". So it's obviously something from an existing franchise.
And they've hired an out-of-core expert, so whatever they do is most likely open world.

guek

Banned
franchises I want Retro to do in order of descending desirability

1. Starfox
2. F-zero
3. Startropics
4. Killer Instinct (Owned by MS I think...)
5. River City Ransom

Tarin02543

Nintendo better be doing a complete rehaul of the Wii U design. The console itself is fine but that fisherprice toy needs to dissapear quickly. Give us something akin to an Ipad, not a Sega Nomad!

rhoq

I want a new Wave Race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom