• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravijah

I'd say the sky is more of a hub.

The "overworld" as we commonly know it doesn't really exist in Skyward Sword. It's way more Mario 64 than Wind Waker.

i actually really enjoy that. i like how each area is a separate stage, with it's own themes, temple, and area surrounding the temple.

perfect wii u zelda controls:

left analog moves
right analog moves camera
buttons do things
screen does other things

Or, Wiimote + Nunchuk is your sword and shield, put your sword and shield down on the table from time to time and pickup the Wii U controller which in the game is your "Magic Map" which has multiple functions and is somehow tied heavily into the gameplay and story of the game.

BurntPork

Banned
I'm assuming people are basing their conclusion on this comment, but Im wondering if there was something lost in translation. It sounds like the WiiU technically should be capable of 3D, but they wont focus on implementing it. And what Im also wondering, if Nintendo is making a distinction between glasses free 3D vs using glasses as a selling point for a future console.

As for the WiiU:

If rumors are correct, and Nintendo is using a GPU based on the 4000 series, then what are they implementing to support stereoscopic 3D? And why would they if they dont seem so keen on the whole thing? Can a simple firmware upgrade enable stereoscopic 3D ala PS3 whenever Nintendo is ready down the line?

Custom GPU, MDX. Custom. 4000 series doesn't support Eyefinity either.

i actually really enjoy that. i like how each area is a separate stage, with it's own themes, temple, and area surrounding the temple.

would have preferred it, if it were more like windwaker where each area was an island in the sky with a town and only a small portion under the clouds.
i missed the travelling so much

BurntPork

Banned
I like Skyward Sword

Then it can get worse. And you're really taking the flying as the main new feature of the game?

First dungeon you go into has the standard item to get, a little key, a big key, final boss. How you get there has different puzzles, but overall it's the same formula. What I want is a Zelda that I don't know how it's going to play out mechanically when I start playing. That said, I do like the equipment moding, however shields break to easy so I simply stopped using mine.

Anyway, I think Retro (or any other company for that matter) should have a go at it to see what they can come up with.

That's such a vague "formula" that there's not much that can be done to change it. Make some dungeons not have an item or a boss are that only things, but that's not really changing anything.

Retro would either not be allowed to change enough to satisfy you, or change so much that it might as well be a new IP.

Hiltz

Skyward Sword's lack of a cohesive world with less locales came as a big disappointment despite the enjoyable dense field environments. Although, I felt that the
sandship area was a waste of space in Lanaryu desert.

I really wouldn't want to be in Nintendo's shoes next-gen. It's gonna have to make some tough decisions on what to do with the direction of Zelda's combat system and how it shapes the game's world. Then there's the challenge of trying to top Super Mario Galaxy 2. Controversy here we come.

klier

Possibly, though since the game started as a Wii title I'm not fully convinced it would really show off the system's power.

Kameo started as a GCN game, then became an Xbox game and later got launched as a Xbox 360 game. With pretty stunning graphics, far and beyond both the GCN and Xbox 1 together can dream of.

Same with Pikmin, having started on an old system doesn't mean anything. It can be a huge advantage in some aspects, even. If the core level design and gameplay is done, they can focus on the WiiU hardware power instead of starting a game from scratch.

Skyward Sword's lack of a cohesive world with less locales came as a big disappointment despite the enjoyable dense field environments. Although, I felt that the
sandship area was a waste of space in Lanaryu desert.

I really wouldn't want to be in Nintendo's shoes next-gen. It's gonna have to make some tough decisions on what to do with the direction of Zelda's combat system and how it shapes the game's world. Then there's the challenge of trying to top Super Mario Galaxy 2. Controversy here we come.

No one thought they could even top SMG1 and yet they did. The minds at EAD Tokyo are on another level creatively than the rest of us. They'll come up with stuff we never would have thought of and make it work somehow

GaussTek

I'm late to the party, but I'll post this anyway...

IMO, Wii U would be an early guaranteed success with these launch titles, and it is for me, a highly realistic list:

(From Nintendo internal studios)

- Wii U Sports (inc. in the console?).
- Wii U Play and/or a title that includes all the other E3 demos, like Chase Mii. (*should* also be included with the console).
- New Super Mario Bros Mii.
- A Zelda HD port/remake (perhaps, Wind Waker HD?)
- Pikmin 3
- Wii Fit U?
- A few other pre-installed apps/mini games to use with the controller, the camera, a web browser *on launch*, etc.
- A Web Store on launch and the ability to buy all the current VC/Wiiware games and transfer the ones you already have from the Wii. Also, new VC (adding GCN perhaps?... that's it, if they decide to not to make HD ports) and WiiUware games?

(From First/Second party)

- A Pokémon spin-off by Genius Sonority or another pokémon dev.
- A 2D game by Good-Feel (Yoshi's Island Wii U? Please, announce this at E3! :p)
- A Monolith Soft RPG (on launch for Japan only?).
- A racing ("Excite__" game?) or another game (Pilotwings Wii U? heh) by Monster Games.

(From Third party)

The ones we saw at E3... Arkam City, Darksiders II, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Lego City Stories, Ninja Gaiden 3....

+ the ones we should expect games from other companies like Capcom, Konami, Namco, Square, SEGA, EA, Ubisoft.

And... on launch Window:

- A game by Retro Studios (whatever it is... a new DK, new Metroid or new IP)
- Another Nintendo franchise game, like a F-Zero? and/or Nintendogs? and/or Star Fox?.
- The next Call of Duty game.
- Just Dance 4
- The next Assassin’s Creed
- GTA V?
- Another first/third party game that appeals the Japanese market... (DQ X -the HD port-, Monster Hunter 4 HD?).

Anyway, what do you think?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
No one thought they could even top SMG1 and yet they did. The minds at EAD Tokyo are on another level creatively than the rest of us. They'll come up with stuff we never would have thought of and make it work somehow

The problem with Skyward Sword is that different people have different standards of "fresh take". There are some people who won't play Mario Galaxy because "it's still just about Bowser kidnapping the princess. More of the same."

Because SS is still supposed to feel like Zelda - and a prequel to ALL Zelda at that! - there are some conventions it has to echo, or rhyme with. But its progression isn't as predictable as some feel; they just know the overall shape of Zelda, so there's no real way to "surprise" them. As you can't surprise someone who knows Bowser's gonna make a run on Peach.

I think EAD definitely should be in charge of the first Zelda for Wii U, largely because SS is only their first step in breaking up the traditional Zelda experience without spoiling it. And there are some things they did with it, that I suspect were limited by hardware. Such as the way the three primary areas are discreet instances.

So I'd want to see them try to take it to another level again, with hardware that should create absolutely no bottlenecks for design one can think of.

GaussTek

Bad idea. Been there, done that. And more recently with Kinect too. Consumers will be looking for something new.

Well they showed the Golf game on the presentantion video. Or perhaps some sort of combination with the other demos like Chase Mii, or whatever.

Anyway, I think it's pretty probable they'll include a Wii U__ title with the console.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
- Wii U Sports (inc. in the console).

Including it in the console does nothing. Wii Sports had to be included because A) No one knew what it was. B) People were unfamiliar with motion gaming and this was the introduction. With Wii U, everyone has a grasp of how to operate a tablet controller. We have been doing it years. And people know what Wii Sports are, if they want it, they can buy it as a standard retail title. Not a cheap pack-in.

-- A Zelda HD port/remake (perhaps, Wind Waker HD?)

An upscale port is better off for the Virtual Console. A remake would probably require too many resources to begin with.

-- A few other pre-installed apps/mini games to use with the controller, the camera, a web browser *on launch*, etc.

You make light of this. But system features have become key selling points to the mass market. This has also been the area Nintendo has been getting killed.

I think EAD definitely should be in charge of the first Zelda for Wii U, largely because SS is only their first step in breaking up the traditional Zelda experience without spoiling it. And there are some things they did with it, that I suspect were limited by hardware. Such as the way the three primary areas are discreet instances.

It just reeks of fanboy wet dreams when you hear stuff like give Zelda to Retro. They will make it good. But before you even validate such a shaky postulation, the truth is a western developer working for Nintendo, should probably develop something more competitive to the intellectual properties coming out of the west instead of just recreating Japanese IPs.

It just reeks of fanboy wet dreams when you hear stuff like give Zelda to Retro. They will make it good. But before you even validate such a shaky postulation, the truth is a western developer working for Nintendo, should probably develop something more competitive to the intellectual properties coming out of the west instead of just recreating Japanese IPs.

Agreed.
Which is why they're working on Star Tropics for the Wii U that's a mix between Uncharted and Metroid Prime.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Agreed.
Which is why they're working on Star Tropics for the Wii U that's a mix between Uncharted and Metroid Prime.

I've been calling for that for 5 years. How sweet that would be.

Vinci

Danish
Including it in the console does nothing. Wii Sports had to be included because A) No one knew what it was. B) People were unfamiliar with motion gaming and this was the introduction. With Wii U, everyone has a grasp of how to operate a tablet controller. We have been doing it years. And people know what Wii Sports are, if they want it, they can buy it as a standard retail title. Not a cheap pack-in.

What should be included:

System, Tablet Controller, Wii Remote +, and whatever title includes Battle Mii and Chase Mii and whatever other party games Nintendo has come up with leveraging the asymmetrical gameplay the system makes possible

It should absolutely include that type of game with it. They have to validate their choice from the get-go and help the mainstream audience immediately connect it to what the Wii provided, yet also make it clear that the Wii U is taking it another notch further.

[I am, of course, ignoring the technical stuff that usually comes with a console and focusing on what most consumers would care about.]
Agreed.

Every time someone mentions this title, I want to scream. Stop hurting me.

GaussTek

What should be included:

System, Tablet Controller, Wii Remote +, and whatever title includes Battle Mii and Chase Mii and whatever other party games Nintendo has come up with leveraging the asymmetrical gameplay the system makes possible

It should absolutely include that type of game with it. They have to validate their choice from the get-go and help the mainstream audience immediately connect it to what the Wii provided, yet also make it clear that the Wii U is taking it another notch further.

[I am, of course, ignoring the technical stuff that usually comes with a console and focusing on what most consumers would care about.]

Yeah, now that I think about it, that makes sense.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nintendo most definitely need to include *something* that demonstrated well asymmetric gameplay. A demo, a full game - whatever.

EDarkness

Then it can get worse. And you're really taking the flying as the main new feature of the game?

It's just one example in a thread that's not about Skyward Sword. I mentioned as much earlier.

That's such a vague "formula" that there's not much that can be done to change it. Make some dungeons not have an item or a boss are that only things, but that's not really changing anything.

Retro would either not be allowed to change enough to satisfy you, or change so much that it might as well be a new IP.

It's not really vague, it's how Zelda dungeons work. You can expect some main puzzle that uses items you've gotten before, that will help you get a small key. This will lead you to the dungeon's item that is needed to get the big key. After you get the big key, it opens the door to the boss. Along the way you'll find a compass and map of the dungeon. All I'm saying is that this basic formula should be looked at in the future. Why does the dungeon have to have an item for you to get, why is there a big key needed to fight the boss? Changing things up is good and keeps people guessing. Sure, the puzzles are different, but it's the mechanics that need to be looked at in my opinion.

Again, not saying that I didn't like Skyward Sword, because I did, but that doesn't mean the mechanics of the series shouldn't be looked at. I just think a different group could give a fresh look to the series as a whole. And to be honest, I wouldn't care if it were a spinoff or whatever.

EDarkness

In my opinion, I don't really care who works on the next Zelda as long as it's a different group than the one that has been doing it all this time. Retro is just the easiest to see doing something like that, but it doesn't matter if it's them or someone else. At least to me.

It's not really vague, it's how Zelda dungeons work. You can expect some main puzzle that uses items you've gotten before, that will help you get a small key. This will lead you to the dungeon's item that is needed to get the big key. After you get the big key, it opens the door to the boss. Along the way you'll find a compass and map of the dungeon. All I'm saying is that this basic formula should be looked at in the future. Why does the dungeon have to have an item for you to get, why is there a big key needed to fight the boss? Changing things up is good and keeps people guessing. Sure, the puzzles are different, but it's the mechanics that need to be looked at in my opinion.

There aren't any compasses in SS, & you are seriously asking why you need a key to open a door? It sounds like you want a Zelda game with no dungeons(also apply your logic to any franchise with multiple sequels, I doubt many will meet your criteria, outside of RE possibly).

Majine

Banned
I'm still excited for Wii U, but the way they've been this quiet since E3 about it is worrying.

I hope the console itself gets a makeover, because the one from E3 was so boring.

EDarkness

There aren't any compasses in SS, & you are seriously asking why you need a key to open a door? It sounds like you want a Zelda game with no dungeons(also apply your logic to any franchise with multiple sequels, I doubt many will meet your criteria, outside of RE possibly).

No need to get all defensive. Just my opinion on the matter. I buy these game anyway, but I just came to the realization in Skyward Sword that everything was feeling a little "samey" and I started thinking about why. If you're focusing on the simple fact that keys are needed to open doors, then you're missing the point entirely.

Zelda is one of the few franchices I've stuck it out this long. Usually after two or three games in a series, I drop them. Especially if the developers can't keep the game fresh after multiple iterations. I'm just getting to that point with Zelda and I'd like to see them change it up a bit from the norm. Again, this is just my opinion.

AntMurda

The only software the system needs is demos of all the launch titles / near - launch titles. This would do the world wonders and actually demonstrate there are plenty of good games.

Anth0ny

Maybe it's my love of Zelda II speaking, but Dark Souls does so many things I hope Zelda Wii U can copy. When I finish the game, I plan on making a thread entitled "What Zelda could learn from Dark Souls."

Just kidding. But seriously.

Some of those ideas, combined with some ideas and polish from EAD would probably be the game of the forever.

Agreed.

You're slowly selling this idea to me... Hm, maybe we'll see it happen.

Retro did well translating the 2D Metroid games into a 3D platform - maybe they can do the same with a NES classic?

No need to get all defensive. Just my opinion on the matter. I buy these game anyway, but I just came to the realization in Skyward Sword that everything was feeling a little "samey" and I started thinking about why. If you're focusing on the simple fact that keys are needed to open doors, then you're missing the point entirely.

Zelda is one of the few franchices I've stuck it out this long. Usually after two or three games in a series, I drop them. Especially if the developers can't keep the game fresh after multiple iterations. I'm just getting to that point with Zelda and I'd like to see them change it up a bit from the norm. Again, this is just my opinion.

Its hardly defensive to point out factual errors, & to be honest as long as they don't start rehashing puzzles there is little wrong with the current formula (& does it really matter how they hide the Key & Door Mechanic, to lock off content you will always need to have it).

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I'm late to the party, but I'll post this anyway...

IMO, Wii U would be an early guaranteed success with these launch titles, and it is for me, a highly realistic list:

//snip//

Anyway, what do you think?
Not an unrealistic list at all. Although, Zelda HD isn't happening and I don't even see the point of it. Retro shouldn't make a second platformer for the system so soon... save DK for 2013 and use them for something more unique. And Lego City Stories should be classified as "second" party (yeah... whatever), and not third party.

Nintendo should be solid from a 1st party perspective. Third party support is the biggest concern. This year's E3 and TGS should be very telling. I'm going to looking to see if the third party support looks closer what the 3DS looked like pre-launch or what the PSV looked like.

Nintendo is going to want to demonstrate the controller as being more than just a tablet. They're still going to need something to demonstrate its advantages. I wouldn't pack in Wii Sports simply because it too big. The ___ Mii games look to be a better fit.

You make light of this. But system features have become key selling points to the mass market. This has also been the area Nintendo has been getting killed.
No they aren't. For all the crap they're given on neogaf, Nintendo has been a major leader in this regard. They launched the Wii with the VC operational and also released a web browser both before the other two consoles, Miis became a worldwide phenomenon, and now today the Wii remains the top choice for Netflix console users. Its not the lack of features, its the Wii's limited ability to be updated, expanded and integrate those feature. The 3DS has demonstrated a huge improvements in that regard.

Bad idea. Been there, done that. And more recently with Kinect too. Consumers will be looking for something new.
That's just nonsense. Wii Sports Resort has sold 30 million units and is still selling. No piece of Kinect software has come close to that. To walk away from that would to strategically suicidal.

Not an unrealistic list at all. Although, Zelda HD isn't happening and I don't even see the point of it. Retro shouldn't make a second platformer for the system so soon... save DK for 2013 and use them for something more unique. And Lego City Stories should be classified as "second" party (yeah... whatever), and not third party.

Do we know who is developing LCS?

EDarkness

Its hardly defensive to point out factual errors, & to be honest as long as they don't start rehashing puzzles there is little wrong with the current formula (& does it really matter how they hide the Key & Door Mechanic, to lock off content you will always need to have it).

My description of the Zelda "formula" was not specific to Skyward Sword. It was just a general description of how Zelda dungeons work.

Either way, there's nothing stopping them from giving you the boss first. You get thrashed and need to find the item in the dungeon to help beat or even just get some information that will help defeat it. There are ways to change up the formula a bit while keeping the core dungeon/overworld bit intact. Anyway, this is not the thread for this discussion. Perhaps this can be continued in the Skyward Sword thread or something.

Vinci

Danish
Yes, but definitely something on a *disk*, and not just pre-installed things like 3DS.

Absolutely. Hell, if they want to throw in a box for 'Wii U Play Together" - and put it on the outside of the system's box, that's great for bundling additional value in for consumers.

EDarkness

I just hope that whatever they bundle with the system is fun. I had hours of fun with Wii Sport bowling. My wife and I played that together and it made picking up the Wii worth it.

Scroll to 'pre-loaded apps'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(eighth_generation)#Handheld_systems

If there's one thing nintendo do right with their systems, it's prepare them with pre loaded applications and services at launch.
With the 3DS they have even continued support by adding the 3D video recorder and improving the browser.

Vinci

Danish
I just hope that whatever they bundle with the system is fun. I had hours of fun with Wii Sport bowling. My wife and I played that together and it made picking up the Wii worth it.

And that's precisely what the Wii U's asymmetrical experience should be used to improve upon, that party atmosphere in which a simple game of hide and seek can be made entertaining not only for those playing, but for those watching their friends and family shouting out strategies for catching the guy with the tablet controller.

Battle Mii will prove even more fun for people watching, as they'll get to see a friend or family member standing up in the middle of a group and spinning back and forth, and looking like an insane maniac.

That was the thing I thought was so interesting about Wii Fit, for example. When played with friends or family, even what is basically a single-player game was immensely entertaining because you got to see someone you care about behaving in an uncharacteristic manner. This perverse pleasure was a healthy dose of the Wii's appeal to the mainstream audience, as well as what Kinect has done since.

Fat Goron

Agreed.

Yes, please. I still can't believe how StarTropics II was the last game of the franchise.... it was AMAZING! Better than the first one.

God, I love those games....

They should make one of the argonians the main character, maybe Mica.

Gravijah

Or, Wiimote + Nunchuk is your sword and shield, put your sword and shield down on the table from time to time and pickup the Wii U controller which in the game is your "Magic Map" which has multiple functions and is somehow tied heavily into the gameplay and story of the game.

nooooo. no wiimote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom