• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyshine

I had something similar in mind at one point, but there are so many ways Nintendo could approach it, it's all up for grabs. But I do believe this a somewhat acceptable solution.

How much storage do you see being on the controller? Is less than a gig even possible? Gotta be at least that...

Edit: And they're going to need a damn efficient replacement program.

For what? The Wii Remote has 6KB of writable memory, and you want >1GB?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Hey Shikamaru, do you know which ones are officially second-party?

Nintendo (Central Office)
EAD Software Group No. 1 - Hideki Konno
EAD Software Group No. 2 - Katsuya Eguchi
EAD Software Group No. 3 - Eiji Aonuma
EAD Software Group No. 4 - Hiroyuki Kimura
EAD Software Group No. 5 - Tadashi Sugiyama
SRD Co., Ltd

Nintendo (Kyoto Research Institute)
SPD Production Group No. 1 - Yoshio Sakamoto
SPD Production Group No. 2 - Hitoshi Yamagami
SPD Production Group No. 3 - Kensuke Tanabe
SPD Production Group No. 4 - Hiroshi Sato
Intelligent Systems Co., Ltd
Mario Club Co, Ltd

Nintendo (Tokyo Office)
EAD Tokyo Software Group No. 1 - Takao Shimizu
EAD Tokyo Software Group No. 2 - Yoshiaki Koizumi

Nintendo / The Pokemon Company ("The Pokemon Building")
The Pokemon Company Inc.
Genus Sonority Inc.
Creatures Inc.
Marigul ?
Game Freak Inc ?
Ambrella ?

Nintendo Of America Inc.
Nintendo Software Technology Corporation

Nintendo Subsidiary
Nd Cube Inc.
Retro Studios Inc.
Project Sora Co., Ltd
Monolith Soft Co., Ltd
Brownie Brown Co., Ltd

Nintendo Affiliate / Exclusive Contract
HAL Laboratory Inc.
Alpha Dream Co., Ltd
Vitei Inc.
Monster Games Inc.
Skip Ltd
Vanpool Ltd
Mitchell Corporation
Grezzo Ltd

Nintendo / Contract Companies
Q-Games Ltd
Camelot Software Planning
Arika Ltd
Suzak Inc
Next-Level Games Inc.
Headstrong Games inc.
Chunsoft
Good-Feel

That's all i can think of.

AzaK

I had something similar in mind at one point, but there are so many ways Nintendo could approach it, it's all up for grabs. But I do believe this a somewhat acceptable solution.

How much storage do you see being on the controller? Is less than a gig even possible? Gotta be at least that...

Edit: And they're going to need a damn efficient replacement program.
A gig?! No way in hell they'd do that on a controller. If they did 64 or 128k I'd think that was reasonable as they'd just use it for Miis, basic sounds and maybe some small save game/profile information. We can't expect them to support a SkyRim save on a controller. For that, we can just use SD cards and take them to a friends.

WhyMe6

Some good ideas in many people's posts about Nintendo's dev teams! Here's my take on what I'd predict/wish for: (obviously my ability to guess on "New IPs" is severely limited >_>)

1st Party
EAD1: Mario Kart U
EAD2: Wii Sports U, Wii Music U: Video Game Music Edition (complete with *lots* of game songs from series such as Pokemon, Kirby, Metroid, Mario, Animal Crossing, Zelda + 3rd party games such as Final Fantasy <3. Oh, and lots of DLC thanks!). Animal Crossing 3DS is the only AC I need, so I'd like it to be continually supported through the 3DS' lifespan.
EAD3: Legend of Zelda 3DS (will it be co-developed with Grezzo again I wonder?), Legend of Zelda U (needs to be either a return to the open-world style of Zelda 1/LttP or an awesome twisted unexpected WTF mixup of Majora's Mask proportions. Ooooh, maybe Zelda 3DS can be the first and Zelda U can be the second?)
EAD4: Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros. U (Note: Wikipedia says EAD4 is responsible for the Pikmin series, yet under scrutiny, other than the fact that EAD4 developed the NPC: Pikmin games for Wii, I can't find anything on this. The Directors/Producers aren't affiliated with EAD4. Oh well.)
EAD5: Wii Fit U. They have enough balance boards out, but I'd really like an upgraded one that reads Body Fat % also. The Vitality Sensor could be integrated into this somehow, too. More advanced tracking + health advice would be much appreciated also. Maybe a mechanism for showing correct methods + storing body measurements would also be of benefit?
Tokyo EAD 1: Mario 3D Wii U (based on the fact that T-EAD2 has worked on the past two titles).
Tokyo EAD 2: Flipnote Studio 3DS/U, a new 3D Mario game? (Maybe these guys will get a new IP! Hooray!)
SPD1: Metroid 3DS (2D) (x2, I want two new games), Localisation of Tomodachi Collection 2 (PLS!).
SPD2: Brain Age 3DS/U?
SDD: Daigasso! 3DS
NST:
Monolith Soft: Xenoblade-tier RPG for Wii U
Brownie Brown: Fantasy Life looks awesome, but I'd really like them to make a 2D sprite-based RPG for 3DS
Retro Studios: Metroid Prime 4/New Awesome Legend of Zelda
Intelligent Systems Warioware 3DS/U (needs DIY's microgame maker, regardless! Ooooh, or maybe a sequel to the greatest Warioware yet, Twisted, for 3DS!), Advance Wars 3DS, more new awesome surprises like Pushmo. Maybe SPD1 can hand over Metroid to these guys?
Project Sora: Support SSB U with DLC/balances/tweaks etc. I personally feel there's no need for SSB on both systems. If they were to work on a 3DS game, I'd rather they mix it up and make a new Jump! ___ Stars game with Ganbarion, or a Nintendo vs. ________ fighting game.
Nd Cube: Wii Party U
HAL Laboratory: Picross 3DS, Kirby 3DS, Mother 4 3DS, Pokemon Snap U

2nd Party or however they are labelled
Alphadream: The Mario & Luigi games are awesome, but with Paper Mario on 3DS, will we ever see a new one? I hope so! A new Hamtaro RPG would be wonderful in the meantime :D
Ambrella: erm...Hey You Pikachu 3D?
Arika: Endless Ocean U, 3D Classics SNES series (inc. Super Metroid, Mario World, Yoshi's Island, etc.)
Creatures Inc. + Game Freak: POKEMON 3DS OMG!!! Pokemon U Online (co-developed with some awesome people who know how to do things properly) would be an ultimate dream. Offline adventure, online hub world with field zones and missions and your own Secret Base...oh yes please.
Camelot: Mario Tennis 3DS is already happening and it needs an RPG mode. Mario Golf 3DS + RPG mode too, please. Work with Sega to make a new Shining game also.
Genius Sonority: ...sigh. They can co-develop Pokemon U Online?
Monster Games: I'd really like Pilotwings Wii U. 3DS version left me wanting MORE.
Good-Feel: Awesome HD 2D platformer for Wii U.
n-Space: As weak as Geist's gameplay was, the game looked amazing (bar frame-rate). Also look at what they've achieved with Call of Duty on DS. Sure, Heroes of Ruin <_< but these guys seem to know how to stretch a console's power. As such, they can co-develop Eternal Darkness 2 with Silicon Knights (because SK sure as hell don't seem to know how to make games anymore).
Next Level Games: I loved being surprised by Luigi's Mansion 2, so they can surprise me. No Sports games please <_<
Noise: Custom Robo U/3DS (don't care, it just has to be awesome).
Paon: Klonoa remake was their greatest game, but really that was Namco's work. So, erm...not sure.
Skip Ltd.: These guys are amazing. Anything! Retail, digital, anything they make rocks.

For what? The Wii Remote has 6KB of writable memory, and you want >1GB?

I believe it was a Nintendo of Canada rep who stated (somewhat cautiously) that the storage on the Wii U Tablet would go far beyond what was in the Wii Remote. It could possibly hold a person's entire account such as a 3DS.

Here's the quote from the OP where it seems to insinuate there's a decent chunk of storage on the remote.

bgassassin said:
Matt Ryan from Nintendo of Canada

This is a small part of a long read about multiple Nintendo-related things.

http://www.examiner.com/canada-ninte...versaries-more

"Let me correct something that is a misconception," Ryan began. "We said that the Wii U system will come with one Wii U controller, but we haven't said that you can only use one Wii U controller. The fact is that if the developer makes a game or an experience that uses more than one, then anything is possible."

"What we've also talked about is to imagine taking some of the experiences you've had at your own home, putting them on your Wii U controller, and taking that with you somewhere else. That would again get rid of that myth and misconception that only one can be used. So, the possibility is there, but the system will only come with one at this point."

"Okay, so that I can elaborate on. The Wii U is not a portable handheld device you're going to take with you in transit or into a proximity away from the Wii U console, but you can take content from your console, put it on your Wii U controller, take it with you somewhere else, and be able to upload it. That technology is possible."

I likened it to the Wii Remote, which has a small amount of memory for storing Miis and the like, and he noted it is "similar, but that's kind of basic, what you can do with the Wii Remote. Taking a Mii with you is cool and fun, but this has the possibility to do more... not on the go, but once you get somewhere else where you take your stuff to someone else's environment, it's definitely possible."

As an example, I put forth the possibility of loading up your team and plays in Madden and taking it to a friend's house (who also has a Wii U, of course), and both being able to play from their own controller.

"It's hard for us to commit to anything concrete, but yes, it's a possibility because the controllers are compatible. It's possible to have that kind of experience."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Here's the quote from the OP where it seems to insinuate there's a decent chunk of storage on the remote.

The Wii U is not a portable handheld device you're going to take with you in transit or into a proximity away from the Wii U console

What in the world is the point of streaming if this is the case? I want to play this thing around the house, Nintendo :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It'll be able to go as far as the signal carries. There's limits to data transmission, you know.

I do know. And I was being facetious about "the point of streaming."

I DO want to play it around the house, though.

What in the world is the point of streaming if this is the case? I want to play this thing around the house, Nintendo :(

Yeah, the point is you stay in the same room and throw on some headphones if someone else wants the tv. Nintendo promoting harmony within the household. But I'm with you, it'd be great if the signal could at least make it to the bathroom. The specifics of that technology is as of yet unknown.

mhayze

I bet they're still trying to figure out how much processing and storage to put in the tablet controller, vs. streaming video / offloading processing to the Wii U main unit. I also think that Nintendo knows that this needs to launch at under $300 (i.e. 299 or 249) to build momentum before the NextBox launches. This may mean discounted hardware (3DS was the first, may not be the last), and hence the lack of incentive in selling additional tablet controllers. What I want to know is what happens when your siblings break your controller, essentially rendering the whole system useless.

I honestly wish Nintendo would refine ways input could benefit more technical gameplay, rather than just a gimmicky feature. I'll no doubt like the added benefits of a second screen and the different gameplay that comes from that but it certainly does nothing to add to or refine ways to drive reflex/skill-based gameplay. Whereas the Dpad, analog stick, smart button placements did. Have we run out of real world applications in this area where the only real additions and variation must come in the form of "feel" and gimmicks, as opposed to tactile gameplay?

I honestly wish Nintendo would refine ways input could benefit more technical gameplay, rather than just a gimmicky feature. I'll no doubt like the added benefits of a second screen and the different gameplay that comes from that but it certainly does nothing to add to or refine ways to drive reflex/skill-based gameplay. Whereas the Dpad, analog stick, smart button placements did. Have we run out of real world applications in this area where the only real additions and variation must come in the form of "feel" and gimmicks, as opposed to tactile gameplay?

wiiremote was revolutionary in terms of gaming input

AzaK

You don't think touch screen and gyroscopes are tactile? I can imagine a game that requires speedy spell casting could be done with gestures. You run around with the sticks etc, the gesture to do certain things as opposed to a simple button.

wiiremote was revolutionary in terms of gaming input

Surely, so was the DS and so will the Upad. But like I said I wish it would find ways to add to technical gameplay, or is that a relic of an older age. The Wiimote had far too slow response time and gesture inconsistency to ever even begin to add depth and technique to controls. Aside from FPS, and even then it had issues.

You don't think touch screen and gyroscopes are tactile? I can imagine a game that requires speedy spell casting could be done with gestures. You run around with the sticks etc, the gesture to do certain things as opposed to a simple button.

I honestly think it depends on how it's applied and what it really feels like in a game. I think it's easy to imagine it would be tactile, but I haven't seen a game yet that shows marked increases over a button using gyros. But it'd be cool to see and I'd be open minded to find that out. But we're really just talking about swapping one input for another theory, not truly adding anything rather than a different feel.

But I'd really like to see games built from the ground up around the Upad instead of just swapped from existing designs.

Javier

I do hope that the UPad at least comes with some storage that lets you transfer some downloadable games/apps to the UPad memory and let you play them off-range. Obviously there would be limits to this, but I see no reason for them not to include such a feature.

I do hope that the UPad at least comes with some storage that lets you transfer some downloadable games/apps to the UPad memory and let you play them off-range. Obviously there would be limits to this, but I see no reason for them not to include such a feature.
storage costs mo money

wsippel

Banned
That would require far bigger internal storage and a real application processor, which means it would make the pad even more expensive. It would also make it a 3DS competitor to a certain degree, which means there are at least two reasons not to do that.

Anth0ny

Streaming would be completely useless if I can't even play the Wii U version of Dark Souls in my bed, or around the house.

I'm curious: Does anyone in this thread have their gaming consoles hooked up to the primary television in their house? As in, the one your parents/family use to watch TV and shit? Since I got my N64 in 1996, I was never allowed to hook it up to my primary TV, and was relegated to my little shit TV in the basement.

I game in my room. Last time I had to game on the main tv was when I was like 5. I remember in elementary school having this 12 inch white tv, or 13 inch. I did so much gaming on that mofo. Now I have this nice ass 40 incher in my bedroom, how times have changed.

guek

Banned
Streaming would be completely useless if I can't even play the Wii U version of Dark Souls in my bed, or around the house.

I'm curious: Does anyone in this thread have their gaming consoles hooked up to the primary television in their house? As in, the one your parents/family use to watch TV and shit? Since I got my N64 in 1996, I was never allowed to hook it up to my primary TV, and was relegated to my little shit TV in the basement.

was playing n64 at parent's home in 1996...how old are you?

To answer your question, yes my consoles are hooked up to my main tv.

I can see this happening:
Nintendo: Wii U controller range will be limited to X.
Gamers: This range is pathetic etc...
Nyko: We got you covered "Nyko Range Expander"

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

I do. But then I'm the Dad in my house so I can do what I want!

EDIT: ... plus, it's the only TV we have - so where else would it go?

watershed

Banned
Seeing as how the wii u screen can display games and I'm assuming pretty much everything else does that mean you wouldn't even need the console itself to be hooked up to a tv? For instance, if the u pad's range is too limited to go beyond rooms could I just hook the wii u up to the power outlet in my room and game directly off the upad? No messing with a/v or hdmi cables or anything else?

guek

Banned
Seeing as how the wii u screen can display games and I'm assuming pretty much everything else does that mean you wouldn't even need the console itself to be hooked up to a tv? For instance, if the u pad's range is too limited to go beyond rooms could I just hook the wii u up to the power outlet in my room and game directly off the upad? No messing with a/v or hdmi cables or anything else?

presumably

Caramello

Pretty much.. Which would have been great while I was at school.. And as Nintendo said, it is the first home system from them that you can play exclusively on Nintendo hardware.

Some games will obviously require the TV screen but many will also support direct streaming which will be great.

not something I'd ever do but that's interesting, haven't thought of that.

A.KU.MU

Banned
Direct feed from Battle Mii. Looks like Wii assets rendered at 720p. :(
yzgd4.jpg

Direct feed from New Super Mario Bros. 720p with no anti-aliasing.
hE8LZ.jpg

bGAVn.jpg

Looks bad imho.

Wow, I really like the roundness and firmness...

81s14.jpg

... of the controller. ;)

Hiltz

Wow, the controller does look pretty big.

My Wii is hooked up the family tv in the den. The previous Nintendo consoles were mainly used in my room on a small tv.
As for the Wii U, its streaming ability to play games directly on the controller should allow me to easily take it into the living room and backyard patio. It would be questionable if the wireless signal would be strong enough to reach my bedroom in the other side of the house. It's seperated by a short hallway but with no other major walls to potentially block the signal range, assuming it could even reach that far.

The M.O.B

Got any non-compressed to hell direct feed shots?

And they are not showcasing the graphics on those (The Zelda demo served that purpose), especially when they are just early prototypes.

They need to get rid of the Mii idea in NSMBM, I have no interest whatsoever in playing as a Mii alongside Mario. If they want it make it more personal integrate some really clever leaderboards and replay sharing. Make it more competitive and mix in really good online features. A Mario level editor seems like a perfect fit for the Upad. Last thing I want is dumb Mii's with copy/pasted physics.

Vinci

Danish
They need to get rid of the Mii idea in NSMBM, I have no interest whatsoever in playing as a Mii alongside Mario. If they want it make it more personal integrate some really clever leaderboards and replay sharing. Make it more competitive and mix in really good online features. A Mario level editor seems like a perfect fit for the Upad. Last thing I want is dumb Mii's with copy/pasted physics.

Doubt they're losing the Miis. It would be stupid to do so. Though I imagine it's likely they'll get a facelift with the Wii U in the end anyway.

watershed

Banned
presumably

Pretty much.. Which would have been great while I was at school.. And as Nintendo said, it is the first home system from them that you can play exclusively on Nintendo hardware.

Some games will obviously require the TV screen but many will also support direct streaming which will be great.

not something I'd ever do but that's interesting, haven't thought of that.

Cool, I hope that is the case. I imagine I could get some use out of it, especially if I end up gaming in bed which I already do with my 3ds sometimes. One major reason the wii u appeals to me is because for some reason as I've gotten older the act of sitting in front of a tv and playing games has begun to lose its appeal.

Doubt they're losing the Miis. It would be stupid to do so. Though I imagine it's likely they'll get a facelift with the Wii U in the end anyway.

It just doesn't make any sense, it's a meaningless arbitrary inclusion padded to sell better. Once again not to the crowd Nintendo needs. Name one thing having a Mii clone of Mario adds to the experience...

At the very least I'd rather have Mario, Luigi, Wario and Waluigi ( and Mii's as an option) all with different physics and abilities. And level design that accommodates all of them. I guess it's just easier to throw in a "Mii tagline" and call it a day. Much more difficult to do what I'm suggesting as it requires real work... :\

wsippel

Banned

I expect almost all games to require the TV screen as well. The dual screen setup has far more potential than the "play while someone watches football" gimmick.

Zenaku

If there's one thing I really want to see on the Wii U, it's a sleep mode. Not just a menu screen like on the Wii, or just browsing the system menu like on PS3; a real sleep mode that lets you put the entire system into standby and then resume exactly where you left off several hours later.

Hiltz

I don't know, my dad's Mii is one of the most awesome things because it looks just like him. Kicking ass on Mario Kart with him behind the wheel is quite satisfying (though he actually cannot drive anymore due to poor vision). No one would really miss the generic toads in NSMB Wii if they were just replaced by Miis. Although, what fans really want is SMB 2-style character choices with Peach back. I can't believe Nintendo came up with such a pathetic excuse for not including her.

Anth0ny

I was thinking of that. But, knowing Nintendo, you'll have to boot it up on your TV first, then transfer the video onto your controller or something dumb like that.

Also, I predict NSMB Mii will be a launch game exactly as it appears in those screens above, Wii assets and all.

Vinci

Danish
It just doesn't make any sense, it's a meaningless arbitrary inclusion padded to sell better. Once again not to the crowd Nintendo needs. Name one thing having a Mii clone of Mario adds to the experience...

Nintendo needs to capture everyone, not take a chance on weakening the appeal of something that could sell in the 20 million range. If the audience Nintendo needs doesn't appreciate the company's sizable talent for making platformers, then it's an audience not worth caring about - at least not in relation to this particular project.

At the very least I'd rather have Mario, Luigi, Wario and Waluigi ( and Mii's as an option) all with different physics and abilities. And level design that accommodates all of them. I guess it's just easier to throw in a "Mii tagline" and call it a day. Much more difficult to do what I'm suggesting as it requires real work... :\

Well yes, it would be harder to accommodate so many different types of control. If they're able to do that, great; if it's something that would mitigate the enjoyment carrying over from NSMB Wii, it's likely not worth doing.

Nintendo needs to expand its current audience. That's a given. But there's no reason it has to come at the expense of the Wii audience it successfully appealed to - and that audience, by and large, seems to enjoy Miis, Mario, and platformers.

Nintendo needs to capture everyone, not take a chance on weakening the appeal of something that could sell in the 20 million range. If the audience Nintendo needs doesn't appreciate the company's sizable talent for making platformers, then it's an audience not worth caring about - at least not in relation to this particular project.

Well yes, it would be harder to accommodate so many different types of control. If they're able to do that, great; if it's something that would mitigate the enjoyment carrying over from NSMB Wii, it's likely not worth doing.

Nintendo needs to expand its current audience. That's a given. But there's no reason it has to come at the expense of the Wii audience it successfully appealed to - and that audience, by and large, seems to enjoy Miis, Mario, and platformers.

Yeah, but NSMBW sold gangbusters...without any Mii clones. I hardly think having a Mii as a playable character will have anything to do with who it appeals to or how well it sells. It's just a shameless marketing decision, period in my view. Furthermore I don't see anyone (casual or traditional) clamoring for this.

And I disagree concerning more character types diverting focus away from "enjoyment" or even level design. If anything it adds HUGE amounts of depth to playability and longterm enjoyment, mastering every level with every character would be 100's of hours. The difference is, in this scenario you have to balance, polish and fine tune level design for that. Not just slap a few Mii's in the game and title and then profit...

udivision

Also, I predict NSMB Mii will be a launch game exactly as it appears in those screens above, Wii assets and all.
Just like how Galaxy 1&2 wowed us in the graphics department and NSMBW was jut adaquate, I expect the same to happen next time around. But there are still 9-ish months to go.

And I disagree concerning more character types diverting focus away from "enjoyment" or even level design. If anything it adds HUGE amounts of depth to playability and longterm enjoyment, mastering every level with every character would be 100's of hours. The difference is, in this scenario you have to balance, polish and fine tune level design for that. Not just slap a few Mii's in the game and title and then profit...
Either way, they'd make the same amount of profit. That's the "problem."

Vinci

Danish
Yeah, but NSMBW sold gangbusters...without any Mii clones. I hardly think having a Mii as a playable character will have anything to do with who it appeals to or how well it sells. It's just a shameless marketing decision, period in my view. Furthermore I don't see anyone (casual or traditional) clamoring for this.

And I cannot imagine anyone being turned off by it either. It's an easy way for Nintendo to perhaps get people's attention, that's all. And yes, it's a marketing decision - that's the point of all of this.

And I disagree concerning more character types diverting focus away from "enjoyment" or even level design. If anything it adds HUGE amounts of depth to playability and longterm enjoyment, mastering every level with every character would be 100's of hours. The difference is, in this scenario you have to balance, polish and fine tune level design for that.

Exactly. That's the point. If Nintendo cannot figure out a way to include all these diverse character types without it negatively impacting the enjoyment of the level designs, then they shouldn't do that. If they can do both, they should. And when I say 'they can do' something, I mean 'in an affordable way and within the timeline needed to achieve their goals.'

Not just slap a few Mii's in the game and title and then profit...

According to you, they're going to profit either way - Miis or no. So how is including Miis suddenly such a horrible thing? It's there for people who want it there. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom