• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCX

Actually, now that I think about it, I think DKCR2 might be a 3DS game instead of a WiiU game. Retro wouldn't have to recreate assets or significantly update them. I think DKCR2 for the 3DS this fall and their WiiU game sometime next year.
I don't think they really have resources for all that. Keep in mind that Mario Kart 7 took its own share of Retro's time as well.

Since you talked about the different characters in NSMB it got me thinking how to use their abilities.

Would be ace to have some kind of Trine with mario characters. Mario can stump enemies, luigi can jump higher and peach can glide with her umbrella or something like this :)

To some degree this is handled in Mario and Luigi already but more fleshed out it could be kinda cool.

No one seems to have noticed my post above. :(

As for the Ubisoft Card Game, I hope it's related to Might and Magic if anything, it'd be appropriate, or something original, as long as it's fantasy-themed.

Okay, I have some info I've spotted in various resumes, nothing huge mind you.

To avoid a Retro-style massacre, I'll NOT be linking to or naming anyone, just take my word for it.

- Ghost Recon Online is indeed called Ghost Recon Online Arcade as someone mentioned awhile back.
- Lego City Stories may be a launch title.
- Ubisoft Paris is making a Wii U game, the person's credits include Rabbids games, and since we know one is on the way, this should be it. (so really, non-news. XD)
-One person at THQ is working on a AAA game for Wii U, PS3, and 360 with no team specified, could be Darksiders II or Metro: Last Light for all we know.
- The juicy one, apparently someone at Ubisoft (no team specified) who worked in Black Eyed Peas, Just Dance games, and helped on Driver SF, is making a Card Game for Wii U. I sent an email to ask for a clarification if this is indeed a Card Game, perhaps I might've misunderstood the context, here's the quote:

I'll post as soon as I recieve a clarification. That's all I asked.

Well, that's all for now. :)
I want so much info on LCS.

Also, I wonder if a card game would be an AR game...

I'd really love to see battle/chase Mii fleshed out into a full game. It would have several gameplay styles Metroid, Zelda, and Mario. Metroid would be similar to what we saw, but with more items and weapons. Also offers a capture the flag gametype in which the ship takes the side of the flag holder.

Zelda, on the other hand, would become more like a RTS for the U pad player, as he takes the role of Ganon who deploys his minions throughout a temple. The Link players explore the temple looking for treasure and other secrets while fighting off the enemies being placed by Ganon. The swordplay would be similar to Sports Resort's showdown. At the end of the temple Link is pitted against Ganon himself. After the temple is completed, the treasure and score is tallied.

Mario would take the place of chase mii. The U player would control mario, while the other 4 players are controlling the enemies. You can play as a Goomba, Koopa, Bullet Bill, ect. Each have their own ability. After the enemy is defeated, the player spawns as a new one, but there is a limited number of more powerful enemies. The goal is to keep mario from reaching the flag.

Sound fun, anybody?

395 more posts.

They'll need to put a rear facing camera on the controller for it to really work.
The PS3 card game had so much potential, but was poorly supported because it didn't really have a userbase.

I thought Wii U was capable of AR, Vigil said apparently that they want to utilize AR.

And Eye of Judgement obviously didn't get the accessory support because, it's just that, it's rare for an accessory to get wide support, The Balance Board, Kinect, and Move are probably the only ones I can think of, but those were CRAZY marketed.

I thought Wii U was capable of AR, Vigil said apparently that they want to utilize AR.

And Eye of Judgement obviously didn't get the accessory support because, it's just that, it's rare for an accessory to get wide support, The Balance Board, Kinect, and Move are probably the only ones I can think of, but those were CRAZY marketed.

It's capable of AR, the problem is that the camera faces the player when holding the controller, which means that you'd have to hold it backwards to use it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dito, the 6th version of the devkit is out, give us some hints you chosen ones. You are free to answer with + or -, has anything changed for the better or worse?
+---+++++--++-+-+---++-++--+-++++--++++-+---+++++---++--

Wait, i'm not chosen.

It's capable of AR, the problem is that the camera faces the player when holding the controller, which means that you'd have to hold it backwards to use it.

But how would that even work? Unless you view the picture on the TV, maybe you put the pad on the stand as shown at E3 during the Zelda skit and face the cards, and play with the Wiimote?

I hope Nintendo continues with Galaxy's style for the Wii U. Minimising what needs to be rendered on the screen by having it set in space allowed them to devote tons of hardware resources towards making the two games look as good as they do. Same reason SM3DL looks great too.

I'd be very happy for them to take the same direction with the Wii U version, dedicating all that additional system power to making super high resolution textures, detailed models, and a crazy amount of shaders, all at 1080p and 60fps please!

I like that idea. Continue to create stages where they can go crazy on the IQ because that's the only thing being focused on.

Penguin

That could be huge if done right ala Skylanders. Konami would be missing out BIG TIME if Yu-Gi-Oh doesn't utilize this.

I think LEGO City Stories has a ton of potential if done right.

Imagine using the tablet to be able to construct your own LEGO base. Could even tie it in by having special sets you could buy in stores and insta-build in the game.

I think a family friendly GTA with multiplayer.. could go very very very far

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Imagine using the tablet to be able to construct your own LEGO base. Could even tie it in by having special sets you could buy in stores and insta-build in the game.

Fuck GTA, I'd buy a proper LEGO game in a heartbeat.

theBishop

Banned

I love the idea of it, but realistically what kinds of missions do you expect in a sanitized GTA setting?

Also, has anyone said anything about WiiU's price coming out of CES? Around E3 Iwata said explicitly it would cost more than Wii and "This is not going to be cheap", but I haven't anything since.

boyshine

But how would that even work? Unless you view the picture on the TV, maybe you put the pad on the stand as shown at E3 during the Zelda skit and face the cards, and play with the Wiimote?

You hold the controller like you normally would, then lift a card with its front facing the camera. The camera reads the card - and BAM! you unlock Ganondorf in Soulcalibur VI. I know that’s not AR, but it’s a way to use QR codes, and I think it would work with a lot of different game concepts. Especially Pokémon. Finally cards and game are one connected experience. It would explode like Skylanders x 100. It would be cool with figurines as well, but realistically speaking with a million different Pokémons, I don’t think a lot of stores have the space.

Penguin

I love the idea of it, but realistically what kinds of missions do you expect in a sanitized GTA setting?

Also, has anyone said anything about WiiU's price coming out of CES? Around E3 Iwata said explicitly it would cost more than Wii and "This is not going to be cheap", but I haven't anything since.

I think a lot of it can translate to LEGO.
I mean not like they don't have guns and stuff like in the LEGO games.
Just make them explode like toys.

Just on paper, the LEGO game sounds fun.
Heck, I'd even just take like an Animal Crossing esque LEGO game where you got to build and design stuff to your leisure and watch it come alive.

Thraktor

I'd really love to see battle/chase Mii fleshed out into a full game. It would have several gameplay styles Metroid, Zelda, and Mario. Metroid would be similar to what we saw, but with more items and weapons. Also offers a capture the flag gametype in which the ship takes the side of the flag holder.

Zelda, on the other hand, would become more like a RTS for the U pad player, as he takes the role of Ganon who deploys his minions throughout a temple. The Link players explore the temple looking for treasure and other secrets while fighting off the enemies being placed by Ganon. The swordplay would be similar to Sports Resort's showdown. At the end of the temple Link is pitted against Ganon himself. After the temple is completed, the treasure and score is tallied.

Mario would take the place of chase mii. The U player would control mario, while the other 4 players are controlling the enemies. You can play as a Goomba, Koopa, Bullet Bill, ect. Each have their own ability. After the enemy is defeated, the player spawns as a new one, but there is a limited number of more powerful enemies. The goal is to keep mario from reaching the flag.

Sound fun, anybody?

Chase Mii is definitely a good base for a collection of mini-games to be bundled with the console. Special abilities for the chasers could be nice, but even if they just took the demo exactly as it was at E3 and added a couple more maps you've got something that shows off the benefit of the controller quite nicely.

Battle Mii's an obvious candidate for inclusion in a mini-game collection, but keep in mind that casual gamers may find the whole two-slidepads-plus-gyro controls for the ship a bit difficult to pick up.

The Zelda idea you describe (basically a multiplayer roguelike with a dungeon master) could be very good fun, but I'd say it's somewhat beyond the scope of a mini-game collection, it's the sort of thing which would benefit from a bit more time and attention than the Chase Mii/Battle Mii type mini-games.

Another interesting thing is that the mini games they've shown off, which we can reasonably assume will be part of some sort of pack-in or collection, don't really lend themselves to single-player that well, and in the case of Chase Mii you really would need 3 people at an absolute minimum. Obviously they aren't going to put out games that don't have a single-player component, but I'd be interested in seeing what sort of single-player they might add to them. I suppose in Chase Mii you could include a survival mode where you try to last as long as possible with three AI toads chasing you, but I can't imagine that being nearly as fun as the multiplayer.

I'm hoping for more Just Cause 2 and less GTA, myself.
Basically just cause destruction.

A game in the style of Just Cause 2 where you blow up Lego buildings? Hook it to my veins!

snesfreak

Banned
I think a lot of it can translate to LEGO.
I mean not like they don't have guns and stuff like in the LEGO games.
Just make them explode like toys.

Just on paper, the LEGO game sounds fun.
Heck, I'd even just take like an Animal Crossing esque LEGO game where you got to build and design stuff to your leisure and watch it come alive.
I'm 30, and I'd fucking buy that day ONE!

I want to see destruction in that game.

I want to see Lego pieces flying all over the place every time I crash into pretty much anything. Collecting those pieces would allow us to use them to build our own stuff, including vehicles!

Make it happen !

trinest

Lego City and the Ubisoft one are the titles which make me hyped for this system. Accuarly hyped not just "wtf is 3D going to be like- why would you put that in a game console" like the 3DS.

Can't wait this is going to be awesome.

Aside from the AR idea from Ace (I really like the QR idea above much more actually! AR didn't impress me much when I first demoed it), what would you like to see in a card game for Wii U? Like for a new IP.

I'd say just for a fantasy setting with different classes and monsters and the QR codes of cards in an accompaning TCG. Online of course as well. And for the characters and such to show up Yu-Gi-Oh style on TV in glorious HD graphics. Not the YGO Dual Transer-style of just showing the card digitally, meh.

The pad can be your hand and deck, a major plus. :)

Technically, he said nothing about men.

mpc-hc2010-11-2212-49-43-59.jpg

That's all I got as a response.

guek

Banned
If anything, I think we'll need one even more now.
We'll be getting information soon, and we're close enough to E3 that leaks will begin again.

If we don't get anything good at GDC, I will be forced to go out and cut someone. You hear me, nintendo? YOU HEAR MEEEEEEEEEEEE?!

Penguin

Aside from the AR idea from Ace (I really like the QR idea above much more actually! AR didn't impress me much when I first demoed it), what would you like to see in a card game for Wii U? Like for a new IP.

I'd say just for a fantasy setting with different classes and monsters and the QR codes of cards in an accompaning TCG. Online of course as well. And for the characters and such to show up Yu-Gi-Oh style on TV in glorious HD graphics. Not the YGO Dual Transer-style of just showing the card digitally, meh.

The pad can be your hand and deck, a major plus. :)

I always wanted a Yu-Gi-Oh card game like the TV show.

I thought using the e-reader to actually use cards in real time would have been cool on the GBA.

ALAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom