• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
I wonder, what's people's opinions of "souped up PS360"/ Is it PS360 but slightly better visuals being capable. Not attacking your post or anything, seriously asking what people would consider that to be.

I kinda expect most games to be on par with the PC build of metro last light but with a little less AA.

Until the 720/PS4 launch and everyone abandons the platform.

I really don't understand this sentiment. The wii was abandoned because ports were more or less impossible. I guess I just have a hard time believing the majority of ps4/720 games wont be easy to port to the Wii U.

Anth0ny

What does "low res jaggies" mean, anyway? Explain me with apples and oranges if necessary :p

guesswhicho6lk.jpg

Left= low res jaggies

Right= anti aliasing

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The left image does not look like it is running in the same resolution as the right. That looks more like a resolution comparison if anything.

Technically speaking, the taller a stick is the more precise it becomes. In other words when we're referring to FPS games using the circle pads, they will probably be less precise (both in user input time "how fast you can line up a successful shot per input for 90% of the sample pool", and in the "new feel barrier"). Why do you think people use FPSfreaks on the 360/PS3 sticks? For a lot of people, a taller stick means more precision in a faster amount of time.

And I have and play my 3DS all the time (Starfox/OoT/3DLand) and the circle pad is nowhere near as precise or intuitive. It would have to be a level of magnitude better than the 3DS to achieve the same precision and effectiveness.

Lol analog aiming. ... sadly with Nintendo now going back to dual analog (pads) we're going to be stuck with that outdated shit forever on consoles.

Hear that Nintendo? At least give me Touchscreen Aiming as an option, or a Wireless Mouse. I can't go back to these inferior control methods again.

Deguello

Yeah, I agree the IR is drastically superior to sticks where precision is concerned, in this specific case Nintendo is taking a huge step back. Although 108 degree turning I've never liked using the Wiimote+nunchuk, but that may just be a personal problem. :\

Well the nunchuck-wiimote was "weird" right? Nintendo's sort of being forced to step back as the penalty to be paid for actually innovating something without the industry's permission.

AzaK

It's legit. That's from an official government site. Though I've been getting possible indications that final or near final hardware has begun to come
oooooooooooooo.

Didn't know how much more obvious I could make it. :p
Phew! I too thought you were talking about jaggies at first. Have your sources indicated whether this lates kit is + or - on the POWA scale compared to the previous one?

Lol analog aiming. ... sadly with Nintendo now going back to dual analog (pads) we're going to be stuck with that outdated shit forever on consoles.

Hear that Nintendo? At least give me Touchscreen Aiming as an option, or a Wireless Mouse. I can't go back to these inferior control methods again.

Touchscreen aiming I don't know about, would it really be intuitive? I know I hate it on my laptop, and what about comfortable access to buttons? Now, a wireless mouse with buttons on it I could certainly get behind, although I'd like an option for USB too (input lag and all). Hell a Nintendo mouse and keyboard would be great as an option for many games!

Well the nunchuck-wiimote was "weird" right? Nintendo's sort of being forced to step back as the penalty to be paid for actually innovating something without the industry's permission.

In my view they needed to improve the consistency of IR as well as really refine the turning and weight of the shooting aspects. Problem is, no truly talented developer tried to make a great ground up Wii FPS/TPS. Shame.

Sagitario

Rendering 3D images causes aliasing, which appears as a jagged, saw like pattern on the edges of all polygons. Using anti-aliasing techniques, hardware is able to clean up the rendered IQ and remove these jaggies on polygons, making for a smoother, cleaner image.

There are many different types of anti-aliasing methods, each of varying quality and cost to processing power. We don't see a lot of high quality AA on consoles due to the hardware.

Simple example:

anti-aliasing.thumbnaehjkc.png

'Low res jaggies' implies that the game is running at a fairly 'low' resolution (eg: 720p or below), and has no anti-aliasing. Meanwhile us super folk in PC land are running at 1080p+ with HQ anti-aliasing.

Thank you :}

darkpower

Banned
Some of my thoughts:

1. Nintendo will have to feature the rest of the console. What are the specs? Of course us gaming geeks know the graphics will be in 1080p, but those that want to hate and those that don't follow this stuff as much will need it shoved down their throats about the power of the machine. What games can it handle? Will Nintendo FINALLY discover the internet as something other than a "necessary evil" that they have to throw every cumbersome and restrictive way to access it that they can?

2. Some third party support will be awesome, and some killer apps will be nice that shows off the console's power.

3. If I don't want to use that controller, will there be another option that I can use? The control seems a bit big, and I don't want to have to be forced to use it if I don't have to on a game. I'm sure devs won't want to have to incorporate something into their game for the Wii U version (then again, they are doing things for Kinect, so what am I talking about?).

maeda

It's basically common knowledge a taller stick provides more travel distance, thus providing more accuracy/precision.
Okay, got it! Due to the existence of a natural lowest threshold of push for our fingers they are indeed more precise, since a player can target lower deviations, than with shorter sticks. And yes it means circle pads can be less precise, than analog sticks.
I never thought about it this way. Thanks for pointing it out.
Edit: I hope you do understand that claims about how intuitive a circle pad is vs an analog stick are totally subjective.

Phew! I too thought you were talking about jaggies at first. Have your sources indicated whether this lates kit is + or - on the POWA scale compared to the previous one?

No, but if we are looking at actual hardware then I'd have to believe there is an increase of some type.

Thank you :}

What EC said. The post I was responding to only referred to AA. I just added the "low res" part for extra emphasis since we're supposed to expect the worse for a Nintendo console.

Bear

That image is what makes me hope for Dolphin-type upscaling of Wii games on WiiU.

Unfortunately, that won't be possible with hardware emulation (assuming Nintendo sticks with that). It could upscale the image like BC PS3s do with PS2 games, but that doesn't look nearly as good as actually rendering the game in 1080p with AA/AF. It also tends to bring up a ton of compatibility issues.

Touchscreen aiming I don't know about, would it really be intuitive? I know I hate it on my laptop, and what about comfortable access to buttons? Now, a wireless mouse with buttons on it I could certainly get behind, although I'd like an option for USB too (input lag and all). Hell a Nintendo mouse and keyboard would be great as an option for many games!

Well given the size of the touchscreen, and how precise it works allready on DS games, I'd say, touchscreen aiming could be the closest we'll get to Mouse aiming on consoles without the need for extra peripherals. I am not concerned about buttons, as you can reach at least 6 of them with your left or right hand (depending if your a left or righthanded player), the rest can be put on the touchscreen.

Even better yet would be a hybrid of wiimote+nunchuck and WiiU Pad. Like shown in the first demo reel, an updated Zapper has tons of potential uses for shooters. Aiming down sight done on the small screen, sinper scopes and drone cams...

In my view they needed to improve the consistency of IR as well as really refine the turning and weight of the shooting aspects. Problem is, no truly talented developer tried to make a great ground up Wii FPS/TPS. Shame.

Given that they can now make motion plus the de facto standard, as probably every Wii U will come with one Wiimote+, the quality and comfort of IR aiming should greatly improve. Look at Red Stell 2 as to how the combination of IR and Motionplus can improve the overall feeling of IR aiming.

And it seems you are forgetting Goldeneye. Eurocom is a highly talented developer, and Goldeneye is basically the best 3rd party FPS on the Wii (especially since it was made for the wii instead of being ported)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
IR was fine without M+, over-relying on that could make things worse as in SS too, even if in that game it's not a huge setback.

RS2's great pointer feel was due to the 60fps and the help from Retro (Metroid Prime 3 also had similarly great pointer feel without M+ though it lacked in turning and sensitivity settings which later games including RS2 improved upon with or without M+), not M+ which was only used when aiming off screen which realistically you should never really have to do in normal gameplay assuming a given game makes the max turning speed near the edge of the sensor bar threshold.

Unless they can make M+ behave exactly like the pointer yet with the center point wherever you want instead of the sensor bar, liberating the positions people can play from (though that'd still harm the feel of the game if you set it so you aren't really pointing at the enemies but on your ceiling as you're laying down or wherever) but going by SS they really can't achieve that.

I still believe that people's issues with IR are down to wrong settings or unfortunately unsuitable setups beyond their control since for me it has been immensely reliable when implemented well as in the games mentioned, the recent COD games (which have some issues mainly due to the frame rate issues), and in SEGA's lightgun shooters (which make it possible to calibrate perfectly and play without crosshair). Also other games like Silent Hill, Another Code, and whatever else has good pointer use.

And I agree that if they don't promote the Wiimote+nunchuck use further it's going to be a great loss the touch screen or hauling the whole Upad controller about cannot make up for, even if they offer some things of their own. Unless that new zapper becomes a reality and includes a nunchuck thing and extra buttons (otherwise it's going to be useless for anything but 360 virtual window lightgun style games, and still won't provide lightgun style skill gameplay, you'll need to have crosshair in the center of the Upad screen etc). Though that'd be rad it'd also not allow you to comfortably play FPS at any moment like you can with the Wii.

Terrell

Unfortunately, that won't be possible with hardware emulation (assuming Nintendo sticks with that). It could upscale the image like BC PS3s do with PS2 games, but that doesn't look nearly as good as actually rendering the game in 1080p with AA/AF. It also tends to bring up a ton of compatibility issues.

Who knows? Since they're dropping GameCube support because they didn't want to include the ports for GCN accessories, one might think they won't include Wii chipsets either to keep WiiU under $300.
And since this new stuff in the dev kits confirms it's no mere extension of the old architecture, hardware emulation doesn't seem terribly likely in the true sense of the word.

So who knows? With Dolphin being near-flawless, Nintendo could opt for such a thing themselves, and having more intimate knowledge of the design, they could make it work.

Well given the size of the touchscreen, and how precise it works allready on DS games, I'd say, touchscreen aiming could be the closest we'll get to Mouse aiming on consoles without the need for extra peripherals. I am not concerned about buttons, as you can reach at least 6 of them with your left or right hand (depending if your a left or righthanded player), the rest can be put on the touchscreen.

Even better yet would be a hybrid of wiimote+nunchuck and WiiU Pad. Like shown in the first demo reel, an updated Zapper has tons of potential uses for shooters. Aiming down sight done on the small screen, sinper scopes and drone cams...

Now that you mention it, I guess touchscreen aiming could work if a few buttons were mapped on the screen as well (preferably in customizable areas). In fact analog control (no intention to open that can o' worms again) coupled with touchscreen aiming could mean the best setup for Batman AC. I love the M&K setup but the close quarters sections really favor a stick. This could solve that problem. I don't think it would ever be as comfortable, but it could work.

And I'd definitely like to see a really great FPS/TPS built around the Upad Zapper idea. A bunch of amazing "physical device" (i.e. gun and sights in-your-hand) that could come out of this. I can only dream of a Suda 51 "Killer 8" doing this!

Given that they can now make motion plus the de facto standard, as probably every Wii U will come with one Wiimote+, the quality and comfort of IR aiming should greatly improve. Look at Red Stell 2 as to how the combination of IR and Motionplus can improve the overall feeling of IR aiming.

And it seems you are forgetting Goldeneye. Eurocom is a highly talented developer, and Goldeneye is basically the best 3rd party FPS on the Wii (especially since it was made for the wii instead of being ported)

With WMP it could definitely improve, but my issue was always the 180/360 turning problem and finding the sweet spot for really tight consistent controls. With the Wiimote being a freehand pointer it was always too twitchy to seem tight and consistent, whereas a mouse is "mounted" so to speak and it can keep the twitch yet be 100% tight and consistent.

And yeah Eurocom did a amazing job on GE, probably the best FPS on Wii. My issue there and with every Wii FPS is that there's little emphasis on what should be really important in a Wii shooter (weight and animation feedback), in Wii games the controls feel exactly the same no matter what gun I'm using...just different results from the fire modes. I think putting in a "realistic" weight (of the recoil, gun type and character movements) would go a long way to helping the game seem tighter and more consistent. But of course that's very difficult with a freehand pointer.

IR was fine without M+, over-relying on that could make things worse as in SS too, even if in that game it's not a huge setback.

RS2's great pointer feel was due to the 60fps and the help from Retro (Metroid Prime 3 also had similarly great pointer feel without M+ though it lacked in turning and sensitivity settings which later games including RS2 improved upon with or without M+), not M+ which was only used when aiming off screen which realistically you should never really have to do in normal gameplay assuming a given game makes the max turning speed near the edge of the sensor bar threshold.

Unless they can make M+ behave exactly like the pointer yet with the center point wherever you want instead of the sensor bar, liberating the positions people can play from (though that'd still harm the feel of the game if you set it so you aren't really pointing at the enemies but on your ceiling as you're laying down or wherever) but going by SS they really can't achieve that.

I still believe that people's issues with IR are down to wrong settings or unfortunately unsuitable setups beyond their control since for me it has been immensely reliable when implemented well as in the games mentioned, the recent COD games (which have some issues mainly due to the frame rate issues), and in SEGA's lightgun shooters (which make it possible to calibrate perfectly and play without crosshair). Also other games like Silent Hill, Another Code, and whatever else has good pointer use.

And I agree that if they don't promote the Wiimote+nunchuck use further it's going to be a great loss the touch screen or hauling the whole Upad controller about cannot make up for, even if they offer some things of their own. Unless that new zapper becomes a reality and includes a nunchuck thing and extra buttons (otherwise it's going to be useless for anything but 360 virtual window lightgun style games, and still won't provide lightgun style skill gameplay, you'll need to have crosshair in the center of the Upad screen etc). Though that'd be rad it'd also not allow you to comfortably play FPS at any moment like you can with the Wii.

Motion Plus was used in great effect to smooth the pointer. 60 fps helped but the added benefit of having off screen tracking, that with good calibration was almost indistinguishable from the IR speed and sensitivity was the real biggest improvement.

The Zapper was an example, and one, that I think could (with the right design) make for one of the best FPS experiences in years. Just lock the Upad viewpoint to an Aiming down sights view(red dot sights, iron sights, sniper scopes... you get the idea). No need to hold a trigger anymore (frees up one button allready) And if the Zapper actually would provide you with access to the buttons (via duplicates on the shell, or grip) it would work like a charm.
With WMP it could definitely improve, but my issue was always the 180/360 turning problem and finding the sweet spot for really tight consistent controls. With the Wiimote being a freehand pointer it was always too twitchy to seem tight and consistent, whereas a mouse is "mounted" so to speak and it can keep the twitch yet be 100% tight and consistent.

And yeah Eurocom did a amazing job on GE, probably the best FPS on Wii. My issue there and with every Wii FPS is that there's little emphasis on what should be really important in a Wii shooter (weight and animation feedback), in Wii games the controls feel exactly the same no matter what gun I'm using...just different results from the fire modes. I think putting in a "realistic" weight (of the recoil, gun type and character movements) would go a long way to helping the game seem tighter and more consistent. But of course that's very difficult with a freehand pointer.

Well one solution would be to handle sensitivity differently. Heavier weapons should have lowered sensitivity, along with animations to convey the feeling of weight and momentum resulting from handling that weapon. This starts with the pull up animation right down to the way crouching and prone is handled.
The Ghost Recon games are a good example on how to make guns actually feel like they weigh something.

I noticed that players are quick to adapt to the speed and acceleration that games allow and so I don't see much of a problem with implementing different sensitivity settings for different weapons. You want to use that Rocket Launcher? well, since it's heavier than your pistol, you aren't going to run around like a madman with it, nor will you be able to do 360 spin jumps off of roofs with it either.

It would also greatly help if the players body and it's orientation inside the gameworld would affect how weapons handle.

ReyVGM

So who knows? With Dolphin being near-flawless, Nintendo could opt for such a thing themselves, and having more intimate knowledge of the design, they could make it work.

Dolphin is not near flawless. Dolphin has tons of hacks per game to make things look good. But that's only for a certain amount of games. Don't expect to run Babyz Xtreme in 1080p on Dolphin unless someone actually makes it happen. Wii games won't look HD automatically. HD is not a switch you turn on and everything magically looks 1080p.

The WiiU will play Wii games because it contains the Wii's chipset inside. It won't rely on emulation because that brings up a lot of compatibility issues (see Xbox emulation on Xbox 360).

The only way you'll see Wii games in HD is if they retool and release the game in HD just like some companies are doing for their PS2 games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I could see Nintendo charging for "HD patches" for Wii games played on Wii U, containing similar Dolphin-like presets.

Terrell

Dolphin is not near flawless. Dolphin has tons of hacks per game to make things look good. But that's only for a certain amount of games. Don't expect to run Babyz Xtreme in 1080p on Dolphin unless someone actually makes it happen. Wii games won't look HD automatically. HD is not a switch you turn on and everything magically looks 1080p.

The WiiU will play Wii games because it contains the Wii's chipset inside. It won't rely on emulation because that brings up a lot of compatibility issues (see Xbox emulation on Xbox 360).

The only way you'll see Wii games in HD is if they retool and release the game in HD just like some companies are doing for their PS2 games.

I understand the technology required and that a patch is required to make it happen seamlessly. The fact remains that Dolphin is praised as one of the best emulators ever constructed.
But those hacks aren't that strenuous to produce internally at Nintendo as they would be externally like with Dolphin's open-source community.

But as I said, as a cost-cutting measure, I don't see them throwing the Wii chipset in if the WiiU's own tech allows them not to. So it's no guarantee that it won't be software emulation with patching on a per-game basis.

And also, who would WANT it to play Babyz Xtreme, anyways? I'm sure not even the people who BOUGHT Babyz Xtreme would want it to, or care.

I could see Nintendo charging for "HD patches" for Wii games played on Wii U, containing similar Dolphin-like presets.

Or, y'know, they could not be dicks and use it as one more "checkbox" to sell the system to current Wii owners. They want to keep their audience and I wouldn't put it past them to do something like this to keep them from losing their audience with a new console transition, as has happened to every other console launch they've had since the NES. Wii was the first time they actually saw major growth to their console-buying audience, like hell they'd give that away.

EDIT: Actually, another point... if everyone expects them to do GCN downloadables for this thing, wouldn't that mean that software emulation is pretty much a given for Wii games, too?

tsab

I understand the technology required and that a patch is required to make it happen seamlessly. The fact remains that Dolphin is praised as one of the best emulators ever constructed.
But those hacks aren't that strenuous to produce internally at Nintendo as they would be externally like with Dolphin's open-source community.

But as I said, as a cost-cutting measure, I don't see them throwing the Wii chipset in if the WiiU's own tech allows them not to. So it's no guarantee that it won't be software emulation with patching on a per-game basis.

And also, who would WANT it to play Babyz Xtreme, anyways? I'm sure not even the people who BOUGHT Babyz Xtreme would want it to, or care.

Or, y'know, they could not be dicks and use it as one more "checkbox" to sell the system to current Wii owners. They want to keep their audience and I wouldn't put it past them to do something like this to keep them from losing their audience with a new console transition, as has happened to every other console launch they've had since the NES. Wii was the first time they actually saw major growth to their console-buying audience, like hell they'd give that away.

EDIT: Actually, another point... if everyone expects them to do GCN downloadables for this thing, wouldn't that mean that software emulation is pretty much a given for Wii games, too?

No, the Wii CPU can run Gamecube code. Just like DS/3DS (DSi too techically never implement via VC releases) can run GBA code. The GBA ambassador games for the ealy 3DS adapters run on hardware emulation. So no I don't expect enhancements. Also they already have stated that the Wii games won't run enhanced.

Edit:
Also the software emulation, support, testing etc is very costing. Besides Nintendo loves (near)100% compatibility. It costs them less to implement. Use a 10$ chip that can be utilized for other purposes too. For example they could use the Wii CPU for the OS when it's in WiiU mode. Run Wii games when it's Wii mode, and downclock 33% to be in GC mode.

Thraktor

I would be incredibly surprised if they include the Wii chipset in the Wii U, as it'll be completely unnecessary. The Wii U's CPU is an IBM designed Power architecture chip, just like the Wii's CPU. So long as it is capable of out of order execution (quite likely) and has an AltiVec unit (almost certainly), hardware backwards compatibility should be almost trivially easy on the CPU. Even if not strictly binary compatible, the CPU will be more than capable of handling software emulation. Similarly when it comes to the GPU, it's an AMD chip like the last one, and will either include TEV functionality for hardware BC or emulate it in software relatively easily. In neither case is an identical copy of the Wii's hardware in any way necessary.

This is largely academic, though, as Nintendo have said that Wii games will run in standard def. This would probably end up being the case either way, as many games have resolution-dependent effects, such as the wonderful DoF blur in Skyward Sword, that would cause problems for any attempt to render Wii games in HD.

On the question of charging for HD versions, I actually wouldn't mind if they released HD collections of Mario games, Zelda games, Metroid games, etc. so long as they put in the effort to create HD GUI elements and add touchscreen functionality for inventories in Zelda games, etc.

tsab

I would be incredibly surprised if they include the Wii chipset in the Wii U, as it'll be completely unnecessary. The Wii U's CPU is an IBM designed Power architecture chip, just like the Wii's CPU. So long as it is capable of out of order execution (quite likely) and has an AltiVec unit (almost certainly), hardware backwards compatibility should be almost trivially easy on the CPU. Even if not strictly binary compatible, the CPU will be more than capable of handling software emulation. Similarly when it comes to the GPU, it's an AMD chip like the last one, and will either include TEV functionality for hardware BC or emulate it in software relatively easily. In neither case is an identical copy of the Wii's hardware in any way necessary.

This is largely academic, though, as Nintendo have said that Wii games will run in standard def. This would probably end up being the case either way, as many games have resolution-dependent effects, such as the wonderful DoF blur in Skyward Sword, that would cause problems for any attempt to render Wii games in HD.

On the question of charging for HD versions, I actually wouldn't mind if they released HD collections of Mario games, Zelda games, Metroid games, etc. so long as they put in the effort to create HD GUI elements and add touchscreen functionality for inventories in Zelda games, etc.

More crazy thing have happened. PS2 used PS1 cpu as an I/O Controller

Thraktor

More crazy thing have happened. PS2 used PS1 cpu as an I/O Controller

Yes, but the PS2's architecture was very different than the PS1's, so neither hardware BC nor software emulation were feasible. Using the PS1 CPU as an I/O controller was just a convenient way of integrating the PS1's chipset into the design of the console. The Wii CPU and GPU aren't necessary for perfect BC, and in any case they'd be complete overkill for ancillary functions such as I/O.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Given I'm expecting somewhat of a souped up 360/PS3 out of the hardware (can of worms lololol) I doubt many games will use much AA. We'll see.
The thing is, if WiiU turns out a 'souped-up' 360 then MSAA can become the norm (for forward shading, i.e. non-deferred). Xenos had some very efficient MSAA implementation (up to 4x), but ironically, it was short on fb memory to actually afford MSAA in most scenarios (without reverting to tiling). From what little we've gathered, WiiU will not repeat that 360's mistake.

Portugeezer

• $400 at launch
  • 2010 PC specs (which shits over current gen, especially developing for the same exact HW)
  • 2 dual cores CPU, not 1 quad core
  • October 2012 release
  • Wii U Sports launch title

Social

I hope everyone here realises that Nintendo is not going to bother with hd patches or anything like that.
Nintendo will just rerelease a select amount of older games in HD as retail for 35 dollars.

And only IF we're very lucky.

m.i.s.

Banned
zodiac-new.jpg

Would the above analog controller be a better solution than the slide pads? Has anyone used it and would like to comment?

The more I hear about the slide pad, the more I dislike it (and it'll be yet one more thing for detractors to complain about Nintendo's new hardware as they often have in the past).

And yes, I have used the 3DS slide pad and it is absolute garbage. Much, much prefer the D-pad on handhelds due to the limited ergonomics of a handheld device.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Everyone expecting close to 360/PS3 specs, that's complete BS.

Doesn't really matter anyway. So far as the average mass-market consumer is concerned it is either HD or it isn't.

Any advantage that MS and Sony have will come largely not from improved specifications but from existing network loyalty.

That's provided the third parties play ball this time around of course.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
bg just basically said but a few posts ago that he expects it to be closer to 720/ps4 than most anticipate. he actually has legitimate sources so I'm going to go with his best guess for now.

m.i.s.

Banned
bg just basically said but a few posts ago that he expects it to be closer to 720/ps4 than most anticipate. he actually has legitimate sources so I'm going to go with his best guess for now.

Even 720 specs will not be finalised at this stage, never mind PS4.

tsab

Yes, but the PS2's architecture was very different than the PS1's, so neither hardware BC nor software emulation were feasible. Using the PS1 CPU as an I/O controller was just a convenient way of integrating the PS1's chipset into the design of the console. The Wii CPU and GPU aren't necessary for perfect BC, and in any case they'd be complete overkill for ancillary functions such as I/O.

I know that's why I was saying maybe they'll use it as an OS CPU to run indepent instead of binding 1 core or a percentage of 1 core from that rumoured power7.

But in the end we don't know what's Nintendo OS philosophy for the WiiU. I like the 3DS's though and would love it even more if they can pass the spotpass downloads with the WiiU. Maybe the WiiU will be always powered and in sleep mode, using only the OS (wii) CPU, to download your Demos, downloads, updates, patches etc. That's a feature I want to see.
Believe etc

(BTW I thought PS1 and PS2 cpus were code compatible (both MIPS something))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom