• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
bgassassin said:
Now we know it won't happen when sense reaches that level. Sections of the Island could have "EA Resorts" or Valve Villa".

*faints* Valve Villa^^ lol. Would be great if instead of doors it had portals all around, and the back yard had a Ravenholm Theme. In that Regard, you could also include a Resident Evil Mansion there...

My masterplan would put Animal Crossing in there as well. Your City is basically your gamercard, and is located as an Island outside the main Wuhu Island. Basically, you can visit your friends towns by flying there or warping.

corn_fest

TheExplodingHead said:
This could be awesome, although I'd much more prefer up-rezed series collections rather than DLing regular ole' GC games. I assume the CC will be required to play these?
Hmm. The CC doesn't have the Gamecube's analog shoulder buttons, does it?

walking fiend said:
I think people want them to be re-rendered to a higher resolution rather than simply upscaling.

Which would be possible seen as they will most likely port them over one by one like they did on VC.
Lol, would be funny if they used dolphin to run the emulation^^

Hiltz

corn_fest said:
Hmm. The CC doesn't have the Gamecube's analog shoulder buttons, does it?

Sadly is does not and neither does the Classic Controller Pro.

I wonder how much Nintendo's going to charge for downloadable GC titles. N64 games on the virtual console are $10 but import versions like Sin & Punishment were $12.

boris feinbrand said:
Which would be possible seen as they will most likely port them over one by one like they did on VC.
Lol, would be funny if they used dolphin to run the emulation^^

That would be awesome!

In any case, the buttons and triggers (maybe even circle pads, maybe "clickable") needs slight revisions when final hardware comes.

Hiltz

If Nintendo were to release some HD versions of GameCube games, couldn't they also simply put in the programming code to stream the games on to the Wii U controller ?

Although, I'd instantly buy Wind Waker and Killer7 in HD with Wii remote and nunchuck controls.

Hiltz said:
If Nintendo were to release some HD versions of GameCube games, couldn't they also simply put in the programming code to stream the games on to the Wii U controller ?

Although, I'd instantly buy Wind Waker and Killer7 in HD with Wii remote and nunchuck controls.

Yeah, but again where are we going to store those "HD versions"? Is the internal memory adequate to hold all that? We'd obviously need a HDD expansion.

But I'd also shell out for HD WW and K7, and I'd love to see REmake get an HD version too.

Hiltz said:

I wonder how much Nintendo's going to charge for downloadable GC titles. N64 games on the virtual console are $10 but import versions like Sin & Punishment were $12.

20€ or 15€ seems realistically. I guess they're going to justify the price by doing one on one emulation like on VC again.

TheExplodingHead said:
Yeah, but again where are we going to store those "HD versions"? Is the internal memory adequate to hold all that? We'd obviously need a HDD expansion.

But I'd also shell out for HD WW and K7, and I'd love to see REmake get an HD version too.
On a disc?

Hiltz said:
Yeah, on disc. I meant to say if Nintendo made HD versions for retail release.

In that case, an Eternal Darkness HD retail would be cool to. They might even be able to throw in a few more "insanity effects" and integrate the touchscreen too.

Edit: And while we're on the subject, who could say no to a full 1080p MGS collection on Wii U. Where every game made full use of the controller. And then we get MG Rising.

What I like about this, is that if Nintendo is going to release cube games as downloadable content, then we may expect to see retail quality games on the service as well. If they manage to board Origin, Steam, etc on ship, Wii U is going to be AWESOME! I hope they do!

Hiltz

TheExplodingHead said:
In that case, an Eternal Darkness HD retail would be cool to. They might even be able to throw in a few more "insanity effects" and integrate the touchscreen too.

That game would obviously benefit so much from having its inventory on the touch screen. Wonder if Nintendo even owns the IP to Eternal Darkness, not that it necessarily matters.

Koren

Hiltz said:
Err... Are you sure? They feel analog with a clic to me, even if I haven't played a game that use those? The first thing I thought when I took the CC for the first time was "GC emulation incoming" because of those.

Edit : after some research, there was analog+clic, but it was, strangely, removed from Classic Controller Pro. That's too bad :(

[Nintex]

Hiltz said:
Wait, what ?

NintendoGal Interview with Amber McCollom, Director of Entertainment & Trend Marketing of Nintendo of America

http://www.nintendogal.com/2011/07/19/nintendogal-com-interviews-amber-mccollom-e3-2011/7180/

NG: I noticed on backwards compatibility at the press conference that the GameCube was missing. Why is this?

AM: You know it’s interesting that you bring up backwards compatibility and Nintendo’s history usually goes back one system. The Wii was compatible with GameCube and Wii U will be compatible with Wii and that’s pretty traditional in launches from Nintendo.

NG: So the Wii U will not support the discs or accessories?

AM: Actually the GameCube discs will not be compatible with Wii U, but a number of the games that were playable on GameCube can be downloaded from WiiWare.
Poor girl, broken an NDA fired next week.

Neo Child

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Poor girl, broken an NDA fired next week.

Hmm, well thats kinda cool. We need downloadable Wii games too, actual Wii retail releases at downloadable...

You think thats 100% or like, shes just saying what she thinks might be happening?

Disguises

It's a bit weird how she says"WiiWare". As far as I know, WiiWare is the service for brand new downloadable games, would have made more sense to say Virtual Console...

AniHawk

DaSorcerer7 said:
Hmm..hope the gamecube thing is true, never played Baten Kaitos Origins ...would download in a heart beat if available.

like nintendo would ever allow a monolithsoft game in america ever again.

mAcOdIn

Hiltz said:
That's a good point and I do hope your right. I just believe that Nintendo gamers will continue to be the most picky when it comes to choosing third-party games.
I don't know if that's a fair statement.

For one, I think because of the ridiculous amount of systems Nintendo sold to casuals it had skewed the install base somewhat, I do not for a second believe it was fair to assume that even half of the Wiis sold in the US were really sold to gamers that were really willing to go out and buy third party hardcore games. I believe that realistically speaking they were probably about where they were with the Gamecube when it comes to actual gamers willing to buy actual games. What we have with the Wii and the Gamecube before it is truly a user base so small compared to the other systems when it comes to users in the fold for these hardcore games that some people expect us to buy all of them! I'm sorry but no, I can't afford everything and I'm sure as fuck not going to buy every niche hardcore release in some vain attempt to hopefully influence a future niche title I want coming to the US or being developed. I'm not doing that. I'm not even positive I'm getting the Wii-U this time around, I can only afford so many niche titles and frankly this gen I think a 360 or even PSP would have been a better third console for me as I have a PS3, Wii and 3DS(now was a DS before) and I couldn't afford every game at release I wanted on those systems either. I am not going to just buy everything above average to great but not my thing on a Nintendo system as an attempt to bribe third parties. That's Nintendo's job, it's their job to sell these things to more people willing to buy games not my job to support everyone who makes an honest effort regardless of my taste hoping to make it to where the existing shit user base will hopefully be seen as sufficient for not getting scraps.

Second, again the Wii ports were almost always terribly inferior, not just inferior but almost lacking in every God damn conceivable way that to call them terribly inferior is a fair statement. Graphically, unless it was a port of a PS2 game and even still sometimes true in that regard like with Okami, they were markedly worse. Not on par but worse, slightly worse, or good enough but so bad that they generally looked like utter dog shit side by side to the real thing. Then there was the almost always terrible on-line which hurt not only multiplayer but even DLC which is unfortunately a standard these days.

So I don't think actual Wii gamers were the most picky there just weren't ever as many of us as they thought in the first place and among us there wasn't enough to support different kinds of niche titles and of the titles that weren't niche they were generally clearly inferior and not worth buying on the Wii.

I do not think the Wii-U will have this problem to the same extent. The online may or may not continue being inferior but I expect it'll get a lot more capable ports this time around and I despite how powerful the next gen HD twin's systems may be I have a hard time believing there will truly be that many AAA games that just truly go all fucking out balls to the wall on them that it makes the Wii-U look like total ass.

AniHawk

PdotMichael said:
Why can the Wii U play Wii Games but no GCN Games? Do we have a good explanation from Nintendo?

it's probably a thing of wanting to not have to put those ports in the wii u, along with adding more games to the vc.

lednerg

It simply wouldn't be a popular enough feature to justify the added expense of the controller ports, memory card slot, and small disc support.

Luigiv

TheExplodingHead said:
This could be awesome, although I'd much more prefer up-rezed series collections rather than DLing regular ole' GC games. I assume the CC will be required to play these?
Who says they won't be? N64 games on the Wii's VC all run at a higher resolution then they originally did. Of course at the same time that's the reason why there's less then 20 of them available.

AniHawk said:
it's probably a thing of wanting to not have to put those ports in the wii u, along with adding more games to the vc.
Don't forget the savings to be had on not including mini disc compatibility in the disc drive (that couldn't have been cheap to include in the Wii).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
PdotMichael said:
Why can the Wii U play Wii Games but no GCN Games (native)? Do we have a good explanation from Nintendo?
Going by that interview, WiiU disk drive cannot handle the GC disk format.

Wait, what ?

NintendoGal Interview with Amber McCollom, Director of Entertainment & Trend Marketing of Nintendo of America

http://www.nintendogal.com/2011/07/1...-e3-2011/7180/

NG: I noticed on backwards compatibility at the press conference that the GameCube was missing. Why is this?

AM: You know it’s interesting that you bring up backwards compatibility and Nintendo’s history usually goes back one system. The Wii was compatible with GameCube and Wii U will be compatible with Wii and that’s pretty traditional in launches from Nintendo.

NG: So the Wii U will not support the discs or accessories?

AM: Actually the GameCube discs will not be compatible with Wii U, but a number of the games that were playable on GameCube can be downloaded from WiiWare.

So Gamecube games will be added to the VC. Just as I predicted :D (though really, it was pretty obvious that it was going to happen)

BTW, N64 games on the VC were rendered at 4X the resolution, so it's highly likely that all GCN VC games will be emulated and run in HD.

I expect to see Dreamcast and Sega Saturn games come to the VC as well at some point.

Disguises said:
It's a bit weird how she says"WiiWare". As far as I know, WiiWare is the service for brand new downloadable games, would have made more sense to say Virtual Console...

A slip of the tongue most likely. Reggie has made the same mistake multiple times before ("3DS Virtual Arcade", when referring to Link's Awakening coming to the VC)

wazoo

blu said:
Going by that interview, WiiU disk drive cannot handle the GC disk format.

Probably, GC games will use CC pro and virtual save cards. you could even have it directly on the Wii U screenpad at a good resolution.

wazoo said:
Probably, GC games will use CC pro and virtual save cards. you could even have it directly on the Wii U screenpad at a good resolution.

Impossible. CCPro lacks the analog shoulder buttons of the GCN controller (and the digital click)

The original Classic Controller on the other hand does have those analog shoulder buttons and the digital click, so that would work fine.

I reckon they'll probably just re-release the original GCN controller though (configured to act as a classic controller - much like the SNES Classic Controller for Wii). This will also have the added bonus of working with disc based Wii games too (since the games will just recognise it as a normal Classic Controller)

You're right about the Wii U tablet screen though. I see no reason why we won't be able to play VC games (both GCN and otherwise) on the tablet screen itself. The screen resolution is perfect.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
wazoo said:
Didn't the CC-Pro get rid of the pressure sensitive L/R buttons though? How would that work out?

Edit: One minute late, damn ye old monkey!

AceBandage said:
From the other thread (as pointed out by DaSorcerer7)

Straight from Epic's mouth, the exact same thing I (and many rational people) have been saying for a while now.

Will Anti-Wii U GAF denial continue??....stay tuned

- they won't port games needing analog shoulder, problem solved.

- or they may redesign the controller to support analog triggers and l3/r3 buttons.

- they will sell some type of new controller, Gamecube Wii U controller.

- she doesn't know what she is talking about

wazoo

Nuclear Muffin said:
You're right about the Wii U tablet screen though. I see no reason why we won't be able to play VC games (both GCN and otherwise) on the tablet screen itself. The screen resolution is perfect.

In fact, the Wiipad could be te perfect host the virtual console, getting rid of all problems on large LCD screens. If they could do this also for Wii games, it could be both a good reason to have good BC and no upscale and good IQ for the Wii games on the WiiU screen.

wazoo said:
In fact, the Wiipad could be te perfect host the virtual console, getting rid of all problems on large LCD screens. If they could do this also for Wii games, it could be both a good reason to have good BC and no upscale and good IQ for the Wii games on the WiiU screen.
that was a nice idea. I believe they may redesign gamecube (and those wii games that may be playable using only gamepad) and rerelease them under titles such as new control. it'd be pretty neat!

walking fiend said:
that was a nice idea. I believe they may redesign gamecube (and those wii games that may be playable using only gamepad) and rerelease them under titles such as new control. it'd be pretty neat!

Well, there's nothing stopping them from including analog triggers with a digital click in the final Wii U controller; and of course, that "sensor strip" does look an awful lot like a sensor bar...

Then again, they'll probably do both (rendering GCN/N64 games in HD on the TV and in 480p on the tablet), while releasing a GCN classic controller as well (fixes the problem for Smash Bros players who refuse to play with anything other than a GCN controller)

Best of both worlds!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Cmd. Pishad'aç said:
Why is it necessary a beast of a computer to run Samaritan ?

Sure it looks good, but it doesn't look miles better, like way up there in the next gen...
Didn't they use 3 GPU's to render it? That sounds like a beast of a computer to me.

Easy_D said:
Didn't they use 3 GPU's to render it? That sounds like a beast of a computer to me.

Sure, does the use of 3 GPUs on that, make it look far superior than, say, Mass Effect series?

To me it doesn't. Sure it looks better, but only slightly better. Looking way above Mass Effect is looking like Avatar, to me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Cmd. Pishad'aç said:
Sure, does the use of 3 GPUs on that, make it look far superior than, say, Mass Effect series?

To me it doesn't. Sure it looks better, but only slightly better. Looking way above Mass Effect is looking like Avatar, to me.
It looks miles better than the Mass Effect series imo. On a whole other level, the IQ is insane.

Edit:

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Can we just have some solid news about Wii-U? I want to see games about it damn it.....
Wait for next years E3, there's bound to be some sexy Nintendo games shown.

ShockingAlberto said:
Most THQ PC ports are crazy terrible

RF:G ran at like 200% speed with some configurations, Saints Row 2 was just awful, Darksiders had no graphical options despite being a seven month late port

In other words that was an irrelevant comment from him then.

boris feinbrand said:
*faints* Valve Villa^^ lol. Would be great if instead of doors it had portals all around, and the back yard had a Ravenholm Theme. In that Regard, you could also include a Resident Evil Mansion there...

My masterplan would put Animal Crossing in there as well. Your City is basically your gamercard, and is located as an Island outside the main Wuhu Island. Basically, you can visit your friends towns by flying there or warping.

I was... thinking the same thing.

Get out of my head boris!

Crap I need to de-hype myself since all this pretty much guaranteed not to happen. :(

EDIT:

AniHawk said:
like nintendo would ever allow a monolithsoft game in america ever again.

You just had to find a way to sneak a crotch kick in didn't you?

bgassassin said:
I was... thinking the same thing.

Get out of my head boris!

Crap I need to de-hype myself since all this pretty much guaranteed not to happen. :(

Same here. I was talking with my girlfriend yesterday when she watched the Animal Crossing 3D trailer on the 3DS and she actually came up with that idea, so I stole it from her^^.
Wuhu Island really has a nice appeal to it. The style is charming and works well with the Mii look. Making it a hub for all the Wuhu Island based games would be just too nice.

I promise not to mention it again though, as I just get sad knowing that it will never happen.

Same here. I was talking with my girlfriend yesterday when she watched the Animal Crossing 3D trailer on the 3DS and she actually came up with that idea, so I stole it from her^^.
Wuhu Island really has a nice appeal to it. The style is charming and works well with the Mii look. Making it a hub for all the Wuhu Island based games would be just too nice.

I promise not to mention it again though, as I just get sad knowing that it will never happen.
I really wonder why they didn't do Go Vacation, it seems a pretty neat idea!

walking fiend said:
I really wonder why they didn't do Go Vacation, it seems a pretty neat idea!

Quality over quantity. But I guess they could really just add individual titles as paid updates to it. 15 bucks for the Wii Sports pack for example, or 15 bucks for the Pilotwings pack etc etc. all integrated into one hub. Saves them money and presents consumers with a range of options and ease of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom