• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
None are actually from LucasArts. I'd be thrilled if BioWare or some other good dev made a good game under the StarWars banner.

Yeah of course, but they are the publishers, hence their appearance in the aforementioned listing. The studio contracted for these projects, for LucasArts, must do a good job if you prefer :)

Seriously, we need a spatial combat title on Wii U ><

gunther

A real offline KOTOR 3 could be ijzseliejr huge !
A X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter modern revival could be iroizjuireu huge ! (i CRAVE for spatial combat titles, they are lacking since a few years)
A good Battlefront 3 could be cool

Imagine a tie fighter ramake with all the functions mapped to the touchscreen. Finally complex PC LIKE games in my console!!!!.

Except that is not how any of the consoles download BC works. There isn't a catch all emulator because it would be messuy and have many problems.
Every game has to have its own version of the emulator created specifically for it.
It's no where near as simple as people think.
Yes they could stand to release more games At once, but they can't just plop them all down at once. It's simply impossible.
It's exactly how Nintendo does it. They stopped making game-specific emulators after the first year in the Wii VC (it was very obvious even without hacking, the size of the downloads went way down, including the size of previously-released games). I don't see how you can say a catch-all emulator would be messy and have many problems, we've had catch-all NES, Gameboy, and SNES emulators since the 90's. And even in the early days of the emulators, they were able to run a large number of games accurately enough for the layman. Certain games require extra work, such as Castlevania 3 which had a special chip in the cartridge that allowed for more color (and better music in Japan), but most games don't need that.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Rösti;36704356 said:
Deep Silver Inc. has also been added (to almost every category).

It could be a lot of titles, MMO's, Risen, Dead Island, X-Factor... Let's hope it's an ambitious game

http://www.bestgamesnetwork.net/2012/04/nintendo-responds-to-wii-u-power.html

I still wonder if Nintendo is better off just doing software. It is clear they have no interest in providing gamers with the latest technology available and instead concentrate on providing hardware designs they think we want. Will the Wii-U go the same route as the 3DS and the original Wii where gamers want more? The 3DS added a circle pad because that is what gamers want. They also wanted better 1-1 movement and then they came out with the Wii-Motion Plus.

So will they then add an actual touchscreen on the Wii U pad instead of just a stylus because that is what gamers want? Seems to me Nintendo is always more interested in making money off the console right away which means gamers never reap the benefits like we see with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo knows this which is why they are always trying to offer different experiences to differentiate themselves from the competition. I just fear the Wii-U will not meet its full potential because of Nintendo's unwillingness to either sell expensive hardware or sell hardware at a loss. I also see the online experience to be ho-hum again because they certainly see no reason in actually investing in an online servie that can compete with PSN/XBL and Steam. Instead it will be parentally guided that's bare-bones in comparison.

I still wonder if Nintendo is better off just doing software. It is clear they have no interest in providing gamers with the latest technology available and instead concentrate on providing hardware designs they think we want. Will the Wii-U go the same route as the 3DS and the original Wii where gamers want more? The 3DS added a circle pad because that is what gamers want. They also wanted better 1-1 movement and then they came out with the Wii-Motion Plus.

So will they then add an actual touchscreen on the Wii U pad instead of just a stylus because that is what gamers want? Seems to me Nintendo is always more interested in making money off the console right away which means gamers never reap the benefits like we see with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo knows this which is why they are always trying to offer different experiences to differentiate themselves from the competition. I just fear the Wii-U will not meet its full potential because of Nintendo's unwillingness to either sell expensive hardware or sell hardware at a loss. I also see the online experience to be ho-hum again because they certainly see no reason in actually investing in an online servie that can compete with PSN/XBL and Steam. Instead it will be parentally guided that's bare-bones in comparison.

The wii u doesnt have a touch screen? Since when

Move and Kinect?

magash

The wii u doesnt have a touch screen? Since when

LOL. This should show you that people talk shit without actually knowing anything. The Wii U's tablet video montage included a board game that had two people making use of the touch screen yet this joke of an author seems to think the the opposite.

Move and Kinect?

Move and Kinect were after-thoughts, they were never an integral part of the original concept. Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 were technically capable on the outset of its release compared to what gamers were familiar with. When the Wii came out people were already owning HDTV's and were also enjoying online experiences Nintendo didn't seem to care about. Now the 3DS comes out and it too looks terrible graphically with what handheld devices were capable of (Vita blows it away) and was also hindered by having one analog control.

I fear the Wii-U will once again make compromises at the sake of not wanting to sell expensive hardware and/or not willing to sell hardware at a loss like Microsoft and Sony do. Instead they cater to gimmicks that try and offer different experiences. The Wii was fun to play but never offered the best experience because again Nintendo doesn't care about pushing technical boundaries. Same with the 3DS where the 3D aspect was also a gimmick. So will the Wii-U continue this quest of Nintendo's to pursue their vision of what gamers want without the actual involvement from gamers needs?

It's a fine line between offering the moon and an affordable device. Which direction do you think Nintendo leans towards?

tkscz

I still wonder if Nintendo is better off just doing software.

Stopped reading here. If Nintendo stops doing hardware, games will become tedious, atleast they try to change things up. Analog sticks, rumble, hell the current gamepad, none of those would be if not for Nintendo.

Move and Kinect were after-thoughts, they were never an integral part of the original concept. Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 were technically capable on the outset of its release compared to what gamers were familiar with. When the Wii came out people were already owning HDTV's and were also enjoying online experiences Nintendo didn't seem to care about. Now the 3DS comes out and it too looks terrible graphically with what handheld devices were capable of (Vita blows it away) and was also hindered by having one analog control.

I fear the Wii-U will once again make compromises at the sake of not wanting to sell expensive hardware and/or not willing to sell hardware at a loss like Microsoft and Sony do. Instead they cater to gimmicks that try and offer different experiences. The Wii was fun to play but never offered the best experience because again Nintendo doesn't care about pushing technical boundaries. Same with the 3DS where the 3D aspect was also a gimmick. So will the Wii-U continue this quest of Nintendo's to pursue their vision of what gamers want without the actual involvement from gamers needs?

It's a fine line between offering the moon and an affordable device. Which direction do you think Nintendo leans towards?

You keep posting, but each one makes you sound pretty ignorant. When the Wii was first released, only a few percent of the populous had HDTVs. HDTVs didn't take off until around 2008, when they became cheaper. The 3DS's graphics aren't as bad as you're claiming. The 3DS supports OpenGL ES 1.1, which maybe a mix of fixed and programmable shaders, but in the right hands, it can produce great things, RE: Revelations for example. We know no truths about the WiiU, just rumors. Same about the other two consoles (you expect me to believe a 16 core CPU and 2 GPUs?). So shhh.... you whiner. Wait until E3.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I still have no idea why people think that is better for gaming. I saw many knock offs of EBA and Trauma center and suffice to say, they play like crap on the multitouch screens.

Because of what? Using your finger? That could be worked around :p, not like there aren't styli that work with capacitive touch screens.

Is it a multitouch screen?

No multitouch and it dosent need it. It has actual buttons on the controller. Multitouch is just a subsitute for "buttonless controls" wich make sense on a smartphone, not on a gaming console.

Multitouch fanatics: "But but but... we cant pinch zoom! Nintendo am doomed!"

Me: "Press L1/L2 R1/R2 is easily as quick to use!"

Buttons are (imo) faster to use than gestures!

Its not like im missing multitouch on my 3DS...

Think of an RTS game where you can expand the world with your two fingers.

See my post above.......

Jokeropia

Because of what? Using your finger? That could be worked around :p, not like there aren't styli that work with capacitive touch screens.
None of them are as good, though. Even the most expensive ones have tips many times wider than for example the 3DS stylus'.

Stopped reading here. If Nintendo stops doing hardware, games will become tedious, atleast they try to change things up. Analog sticks, rumble, hell the current gamepad, none of those would be if not for Nintendo.

You keep posting, but each one makes you sound pretty ignorant. When the Wii was first released, only a few percent of the populous had HDTVs. HDTVs didn't take off until around 2008, when they became cheaper. The 3DS's graphics aren't as bad as you're claiming. The 3DS supports OpenGL ES 1.1, which maybe a mix of fixed and programmable shaders, but in the right hands, it can produce great things, RE: Revelations for example. We know no truths about the WiiU, just rumors. Same about the other two consoles (you expect me to believe a 16 core CPU and 2 GPUs?). So shhh.... you whiner. Wait until E3.

Ahh, so it's ignorant to think the Wii would do what the PS3 did in the same year as the Wii launched? I guess it's also not feasible to think the Wii would even do what the Xbox 360 did the previous year. Yup, call me ignorant for wanting my games to look good.

As for the Wii U , you are correct, we don't know anything. Did i imply my findings to be factual? No. However going by history it's pretty safe to say the Wii U will not meet it's full potential as the reasons i explained on the way Nintendo works.

You know I really do hope Nintendo have done what sites are saying with the system doing HD .

720 and PS4 are going to be EXPENSIVE.

ON another note.
That video company Nintendo acquired....could that of been to get decent tech for their video chat application??

Ok, the thing is that it is obvious that you think gamers "need":

- the best graphics available

The popularity of the DS and Wii shows that the gaming market is alot more diverse than that. Also note that the 360 got the boost to surpass the momentum of the Wii only after Kinect was released. Striving for a different interface can be a gamechanger.

onilink88

I fear the Wii-U will once again make compromises at the sake of not wanting to sell expensive hardware and/or not willing to sell hardware at a loss like Microsoft and Sony do.

I think pandering to graphic whoring pissants and selling hardware at a loss is a brilliant idea. It's even more brilliant when it's compounded by the fact that the company's only source of revenue is the video game biz.

Instead they cater to gimmicks that try and offer different experiences. The Wii was fun to play but never offered the best experience because again Nintendo doesn't care about pushing technical boundaries.

I'm with you, man. Why play stuff like the Trauma games when I can experience the usual with prettier visuals. Absolutely a no brainer.

Same with the 3DS where the 3D aspect was also a gimmick.

Yeah, totally. I don't get this HD stuff as well. I was perfectly fine with my standard definition images and my black and white TVs.

So will the Wii-U continue this quest of Nintendo's to pursue their vision of what gamers want without the actual involvement from gamers needs? It's a fine line between offering the moon and an affordable device. Which direction do you think Nintendo leans towards?

Affordable systems that don't break the bank. Lord in heaven, help the poor fools.

BD1

Banned
Yeah of course, but they are the publishers, hence their appearance in the aforementioned listing. The studio contracted for these projects, for LucasArts, must do a good job if you prefer :)

Seriously, we need a spatial combat title on Wii U ><

I hope LucasArts gets its act together this next cycle. They have a wonderful legacy and access to some of the most beloved IP in the world. Be smart and be creative, LucasArts! And give me a great Indiana Jones game.

I'm still annoyed IJ and the Infernal Machine never came to the Wii VC.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I hope LucasArts gets its act together this next cycle. They have a wonderful legacy and access to some of the most beloved IP in the world. Be smart and be creative, LucasArts! And give me a great Indiana Jones game.

I'm still annoyed IJ and the Infernal Machine never came to the Wii VC.

I think that like many, my first dreamed game, before even Zelda, when witnessing the first demos of the Wii controller, was a very good Star Wars action/rpg title (more action-centered kotor, a jedi knight, etc.), with 1:1 motion control of the light saber. A pity it didn't come to fruition ><

ASIS

Think of an RTS game where you can expand the world with your two fingers.
It has buttons for that which is even more efficient. That said..

If the stylus works as well as it does for the normal touch screen then I'm all for it. Regardless though, it's not a necessity at all IMO.

I think pandering to graphic whoring pissants and selling hardware at a loss is a brilliant idea. It's even more brilliant when it's compounded by the fact that the company's only source of revenue is the video game biz.

I'm with you, man. Why play stuff like the Trauma games when I can experience the usual with prettier visuals. Absolutely a no brainer.

Yeah, totally. I don't get this HD stuff as well. I was perfectly fine with my standard definition images and my black and white TVs.

Affordable systems that don't break the bank. Lord in heaven, help the poor fools.

I'm just as much of a fan of Nintendo as anyone. Forgive me for not wanting more. I had a Wii and enjoyed it but always felt how much more I would have enjoyed it if the hardware was actually created for the times it was released. Now we are hearing rumblings from developers that the Wii U is basically on par with current hardware that was released years ago.

I will watch DVD videos if that is all that is available to me but I much prefer blu-ray for my viewing pleasure. Nintendo knows people will buy their hardware knowing that is the only place to play their software. It's just too bad knowing deep down how much better those games could have been.

Louis Cyphre said:
Seems to me Nintendo is always more interested in making money off the console right away which means gamers never reap the benefits like we see with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo knows this which is why they are always trying to offer different experiences to differentiate themselves from the competition.
This seems like asking whether a glass is half empty or half full. You'd say: They know they don't let gamers reap the benefits, so they have to differentiate themselves. I'd say: Providing a different kind of product is the benefit gamers reap.

Door2Dawn

Banned
You know I really do hope Nintendo have done what sites are saying with the system doing HD .

720 and PS4 are going to be EXPENSIVE.
This is pretty much why I'm only sticking with one Console next gen. I have no fucking clue what that new 720 rumor with the 16 core processor means, but it sounds like it's going to be a really powerful, and expensive console.

Which begs the question: How on earth is Nintendo going to score 3rd party support when it seems like MS/Sony are going batshit insane next gen?

Good place to stop. Seriously, "I still wonder if Nintendo is better off just doing software"???

It might be what the author personally wishes would happen, but it Nintendo would be better off not selling these machines that make them so much profit? Makes sense.

BD1

Banned
I think that like many, my first dreamed game, before even Zelda, when witnessing the first demos of the Wii controller, was a very good Star Wars action/rpg title (more action-centered kotor, a jedi knight, etc.), with 1:1 motion control of the light saber. A pity it didn't come to fruition ><

I still can't believe this never came. LucasArts dropped the ball, and Nintendo deserves some blame for not pushing to get a game like that on the system. There was that Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duel game, but that doesn't cut it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
There will be nothing at PAX - plus I hate Penny Arcade and their bad, bad, bad webcomics.

I still don't understand how a webcomic can have THREE expos during the year and that some devs find it relevant enough to announce new games there.

onilink88

I'm just as much of a fan of Nintendo as anyone. Forgive me for not wanting more. I had a Wii and enjoyed it but always felt how much more I would have enjoyed it if the hardware was actually created for the times it was released. Now we are hearing rumblings from developers that the Wii U is basically on par with current hardware that was released years ago.

I will watch DVD videos if that is all that is available to me but I much prefer blu-ray for my viewing pleasure. Nintendo knows people will buy their hardware knowing that is the only place to play their software. It's just too bad knowing deep down how much better those games could have been.

The equivalent of what you people do is nothing but throwing a tantrum. No amount of whining on the internet is going to provoke Nintendo into doing things that run counter to their benefit and well-being as a company, and so I ask: why not move on? There are companies who are in a better position than them to provide the things you clamor for.

This is pretty much why I'm only sticking with one Console next gen. I have no fucking clue what that new 720 rumor with the 16 core processor means, but it sounds like it's going to be a really powerful, and expensive console.

Which begs the question: How on earth is Nintendo going to score 3rd party support when it seems like the 720/PS4 are going batshit insane next gen?

That will continue to plague Nintendo as consumers will not want to pay $60 for half-baked software when compared to the graphically rich next gen offerings coming. Even with Wii games costing $10 less (than their PS3 and Xbox 360 versions) the consumer often got inferior versions. So it is vital for Nintendo that the 3rd party support make the most out of the Wii U's unique experience because we all know that's the only way consumers will be persuaded. It won't be graphics (in comparison to the PC and new Xbox and PS4), it won't be the online experience. So all that's really left are exclusives and the unique experience. Problem is Apple and Sony can already replicate the Wii U experience on their existing hardware.

When we look at past history with the Wii and how little the software benefited from the Wii's unique gameplay from 3rd party sources, what are the chances the Wii U will be any different? We all know 3rd party publishers are mostly looking to get the most return which means they will not focus as much as Nintendo on exploited what the Wii U can do. The other issue for Nintendo is time since their hardware is lucky to last 5 years as we've seen in the past. There's just too many players now for Nintendo to think they can last with their hardware. So it's their own franchises that need to carry the hardware which means once again Nintendo's own franchises will overshadow all others because as I mentioned earlier, it's the only hardware they will be available on.

I still can't believe this never came. LucasArts dropped the ball, and Nintendo deserves some blame for not pushing to get a game like that on the system. There was that Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duel game, but that doesn't cut it.

Serious question. What power does Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft have at other companys to do games they otherwise wouldn't do? But not publishing deals, etc, more like pitch the idea to a company who owns the IP.

The equivalent of what you people do is nothing but throwing a tantrum. No amount of whining on the internet is going to provoke Nintendo into doing things that run counter to their benefit and well-being as a company, and so I ask: why not move on? There are companies who are in a better position than them to provide the things you clamor for.

Am I annoying you? This is a discussion is it not? Or are we all expected to have agreements and not stir up anything? It's all here-say and Nintendo has been very low-key on offering us anything. So let me turn this back onto you, maybe you should move on if you can't handle people being critical or overly pessimistic. I've been a fan of Nintendo's for many years but that still won't stop me or persuade me from being their little puppy dog who has to accept what they give us.

Just read the xbox rumour, laughed my ass off, and now I'm done laughing. I love how there are only extremes for rumours. Everything is either too weak, or balls fucking out. When in reality it will be somewhere in that huge middle.

Funny stuff though.

How would using a completely different engine be cheaper than using the same engine but with reduced performance? Especially when the engine is made to be highly scalable?!

Well you mean besides the fact that UE4 is going to cost more to license than UE3?

Why spend more money on a license that you can't make full use out of when you can fully optimize UE3? No one even knows what UE4 brings to the table except for the fact that it is being optimized for whatever next gen brings to the table. I could be wrong, the Wii U could be an entirely capable system that would be able to run UE4 based titles at a very acceptable level, but scalable or not, my original comment was in regards to running UE4 on low/medium settings, and UE3 looked like shit on low/medium settings. I expect the same out of UE4. Not sure why you would waste money on that when a perfectly good (and likely cheaper) alternative is out there.

Personally I don't expect UE4 to do much that UE3 CAN'T do, which also makes me think that it will be easy to go back and forth between the two engines making UE4 titles easily portable to UE3 minus a few bells and whistles

Just to give you an idea where I am coming from do you think it would be worth while to have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl_-IIAuB_w (UE3 Low settings)

vs this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Kflm85_FA (UE3 Max settings)

their hardware is lucky to last 5 years

Nope, that's a normal life spam for consoles, this generation is too long.

So it's their own franchises that need to carry the hardware which means once again Nintendo's own franchises will overshadow all others because as I mentioned earlier, it's the only hardware they will be available on.

So Nintendo should do multiplataform titles to give 3rd partys a chance?

Bullshit posts like these are probably preventing people who may not be die hard Nintendo fans, but have enough interest to want to participate in this thread.

"I love Nintendo, but I wish they would.........."

"Stop Whining!"

Bullshit posts like these are probably preventing people who may not be die hard Nintendo fans, but have enough interest to want to participate in this thread.

"I love Nintendo, but I wish they would.........."

"Stop Whining!"
I talk shit all the time in this thread and no one tells me to stop whining lol.

Nope, that's a normal life spam for consoles, this generation is too long.

So Nintendo should do multiplataform titles to give 3rd partys a chance?

That's not what I'm saying. Nintendo should offer competitive hardware and a competitive online service so that consumers are not inclined to go elsewhere. How many people here buy Call of Duty on the Wii? Now the more appropriate question, why would you? I buy games like Mario Galaxy on the Wii because that is the only hardware it's available on. Yet I would never buy a game like Mass Effect, Skyrim or Call of Duty on the Wii if they were all available.

Top Bottom