• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

DynamicG

And this change in attitude is what Nintendo is fearing. They are seeing the value decrease which is why they are so apprehensive in the tablet/smartphone gaming market. I certainly don't see $40 value in many 3DS games now as when the DS first came out. I also don't see $50 value in games like Call of Duty on the Wii. I hope to see $50 or $60 value in Wii-U games but will they still have that value when the PS4 and new Xbox arrive? that's the key question.

Right and gaming is a complex market. So while you don't find value in that, others might and apparently have. Why is it so hard to look outside of your perspective to see that this is no longer a market kept afloat by one very specific group?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I see WRC3 got announced for a bunch of platforms and not WiiU. Is this because yet another multiplatform game isn't coming to WiiU or is it because they cannot announce due to NDA?

z0m3le

Banned
If you're a part of the 4% that owns all three, in my mind, you're an enthusiast gamer. If you're an enthusiast, you'll be buying the next Nintendo eventually console no matter what (just like you'll buy the next Microsoft or Sony console).

But, yes, people who own Wiis are ready for the next one. And I personally think that the customer who uses the Wii for Experience A, but the other guy for Experience B is a customer Nintendo should be worried about. By the only evidence we have (E3 2011), they absolutely are worried about and do care about that customer.

That isn't 100% going to happen, I'm not planning on buying either other console, Wii U and PC is my plan for next gen.

[weird mode on]

Oh man i had an insanely awesome idea...

I think Nintendo is just testing the waters with the tablet controller. Lets just say if it turns out to be successfull (wich, for Nintendo, means making money and not having to be no.1 at the end of the next gen), they may consider the following scenario for the WiiU and the 3DS successor:

First they release a new handheld. Maybe even back to the roots. Like the first version of the GBA/PSP/Vita. With a noticeble but not a BIG jump in power to keep the price low.

Then they announce their new console. With a TWIST! The new Handheld IS the controller for the new System, It will then be released in a "Base" pack wich has only the console. No controller. For the folks who already have the handheld. And one SKU with the Handheld included.

Not gonna happen, i know :(

[/weird mode off]

ok, back to topic :p

lednerg

Pretty sure it's not that linear. And I've heard the same before this gen started.

Followed by a generation where dozens of talented studios either shut down completely or were swallowed up by huge conglomerates.

For all the hype about graphics getting better, the same can't be said for the actual games themselves. They're becoming stale, and it's because publishers are much less likely to be taking risks when they're spending so much on graphics.

DynamicG

[weird mode on]

I think Nintendo is just testing the waters with the tablet controller. Lets just say if it turns out to be successfull (wich, for Nintendo, means making money and not having to be no.1 at the end of the next gen), they may consider the following scenario for the WiiU and the 3DS successor:

First they release a new handheld. Maybe even back to the roots. Like the first version of the GBA/PSP/Vita. With a noticeble but not a BIG jump in power to keep the price low.

Then they announce their new console. With a TWIST! The new Handheld IS the controller for the new System, It will then be released in a "Base" pack wich has only the console. No controller. For the folks who already have the handheld. And one SKU with the Handheld included.

[/weird mode off]

What is the timetable for something like this?

We don't know what exactly the gaming space is really going to look like in 3 years much less a full generational cycle from now. The tablet market exploded during just the later part of the DS' lifetime and is already a major force. Nintendo likes to play it fairly conservative with their finances and that seems like a huge investment for them to make and a relatively big gamble.

It's possible (not saying likely or unlikely, I don't know that) that dedicated gaming devices may become a specific niche market again in a generational cycle.

And this change in attitude is what Nintendo is fearing. They are seeing the value decrease which is why they are so apprehensive in the tablet/smartphone gaming market. I certainly don't see $40 value in many 3DS games now as when the DS first came out. I also don't see $50 value in games like Call of Duty on the Wii. I hope to see $50 or $60 value in Wii-U games but will they still have that value when the PS4 and new Xbox arrive? that's the key question.

I don't see the value of $1 games on the App Store. I don't see the value of $5 games on the App Store. I definitely don't see the value of $12 games on the App Store.

The Wii, much like the App Store, is/was polluted with crap software and half ass ports. The consumers got smart, and it's only time they get smart with the App Store. It's just going to take some time with the App Store because the prices are so cheap and the audience of the App Store are so young (9 years old and younger).

It's all about Quality Control

We don't know what exactly the gaming space is really going to look like in 3 years much less a full generational cycle from now. The tablet market exploded during just the later part of the DS' lifetime and is already a major force. Nintendo likes to play it fairly conservative with their finances and that seems like a huge investment for them to make and a relatively big gamble.

It's possible (not saying likely or unlikely, I don't know that) that dedicated gaming devices may become a specific niche market again in a generational cycle.

Sorry i hadnt put too much thought into it so i dont have a clue. It just happened to come to my mind so i thought i might as well share it. Its a cool idea but highly impractical :(

lednerg

I see WRC3 got announced for a bunch of platforms and not WiiU. Is this because yet another multiplatform game isn't coming to WiiU or is it because they cannot announce due to NDA?

Even games that we know for sure are coming out for it still don't have the Wii U logo on their sites or videos (Darksiders 2, for instance). It's all about the NDAs.

Snakeyes

[weird mode on]

[/weird mode off]

I could see that happening. Every game would have to run at low settings on the handheld and high settings when the latter is connected to its console dock at home.

DynamicG

Sorry i hadnt put too much thought into it so i dont have a clue. It just happened to come to my mind so i thought i might as well share it. Its a cool idea but highly impractical :(

It depends on what is happening overall in gaming. Maybe in 5 years Nintendo is desperate and has to make a hard shift to respond to the market. Wii U may be a prototype for some other idea. I don't know.

What you are talking about sounds like an upgraded version of what the WiiU is now, but with lots of extra complexity and different products to market. That is what seems overly complex and expensive.

What seems more feasible for me is for Nintendo to offer an upgraded WiiU Pad that has actual processing, memory and graphics innerds. I don't know if it could function like that, but a pad with actual hardware could work as a handheld and take some of the strain off of the WiiU system and thus provide a boost in visual fidelity for games that take advantage of it.

In a way that would make the WiiU kind of modular. It might be a software nightmare though.

lenovox1

Right now, there's overlap and expansion, but the new mobile market isn't eating away anything just yet. And, of course, I don't see tablets as a direct competitor in quite that way. Tablets have a specific purpose and fill specific needs, but they don't really touch the needs of the "average" Nintendo (or video game console) customer.

Nintendo's gamer is using their console in their living room or some other communal space with their friends. That's not an experience that a tablet or PC can replicate right now, but we'll see what happens with smart TVs and set tops.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Even games that we know for sure are coming out for it still don't have the Wii U logo on their sites or videos (Darksiders 2, for instance). It's all about the NDAs.

What a load of old ...

Nintendo are terrible at this.

That's like your opinion. I see more value in Xenoblade than in FF XIII.

Of course it's my opinion but you're also talking about a game only available on the Wii which of course drives up the value for some. If Xenoblade was in 720p on another platform would you care? This goes back to comments about 3rd party support and demand from consumers. If Nintendo has permanently taken themselves out of parity with existing consoles then I don't see a monumental shift with the Wii-U as far as 3rd party relations and consumers coming back for 3rd party content on the Wii-U.

Of course it's my opinion but you're also talking about a game only available on the Wii which of course drives up the value for some. If Xenoblade was in 720p on another platform would you care? This goes back to comments about 3rd party support and demand from consumers. If Nintendo has permanently taken themselves out of parity with existing consoles then I don't see a monumental shift with the Wii-U as far as 3rd party relations and consumers coming back for 3rd party content on the Wii-U.

3rd party could make exclusive games to Wii U, but people would think they were made by a B/C team like the Wii games, right? I'll see what happens at E3.

Hey, can somebody actually explain what "2x/3x visual leap" actually means? From the context, it would seem to equate roughly to "10x graphics processing power"*, but what's the actual reasoning behind using these particular arbitrary numbers to describe a seemingly incredibly subjective feeling? I'm a bit confused in this area.

* a post a page or so ago said that Samaritan, which is 10x the floating-point power of the Xbox 360, would be at this "2x/3x" level

cyberheater

I belive that most devs will be allowed to at least announce their games after the 26th. With the exception of exclusive stuff. This is the stuff we will be getting at E3.

Is that the 26th of this month?

If this was MS or Sony, they would have announced "over 200 games currently in development. Here's the list."

BY2K

Membero Americo
I have a feeling we'll have a LOT of games revealed at E3, and not just from Nintendo.

Everything will blow up.

Christine

I have a feeling we'll have a LOT of games revealed at E3, and not just from Nintendo.

Everything will blow up.

I hope to be able to switch to this avatar:

TBAvatar.png

Is that the 26th of this month?

If this was MS or Sony, they would have announced "over 200 games currently in development. Here's the list."

yes, its the 26th this month.

The 3rd party devs propably want to announce their e3 lineup beforehand. I dont think Nintendo will NDA every frickin Multiplat game until june 5th. That would be insane even for Nintendo!

Sadly it is to third parties.

Wich will continue to perish one by one if this trend continues.

Iwata said at GDC 2005 that the dev costs next gen would rise to an unhealthy level. Turns out, he was right...

That man knows the industrie inside out.

Always trust the man who programmed a baseball game in his calculator ;)

jaypah

I can understand folks wanting to see Nintendo go for raw horsepower. Hell, I've owned every single Nintendo console/handheld since the NES and I understand that Ninty does whatever the fuck it wants so long as it makes bank but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want more power for them to play with. The masses have shown that they don't care but I'm not the masses. Pointing out the fact that Nintendo isn't trying to cater to me is stupid. I already know that. It doesn't change my wishes. Anyway, I guess they really don't have to use cutting edge graphical tech because I'm here wishing for more power and I'll still be in line day one because...Nintendo!

I'm really glad Nintendo's thinking falls squarely in line with my own about the importance of console hardware power. As well as where the focus of console games should be, which is gameplay and interactivity. Nice to see at least one publisher/developer still subscribes to this methodology in these troubled times.

As a policy maker, I have a lot of issues with Nintendo as it pertains to choices (lack of internal HDD/eSATA/USB3.0). But I'll always be a fan of them as developers, publishers and hardware makers. Of all the pillars of the videogame biz (aside from the newish iOS/Facebook tent) Nintendo by and large gets it on the business and games side.

WAR Nintendo!

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'm really glad Nintendo's thinking falls squarely in line with my own about the importance of console hardware power. As well as where the focus of console games games should be, which is gameplay and interactivity. Nice to see at least one publisher/developer still subscribes to this methodology in these troubled times.

As a policy maker, I have a lot of issues with Nintendo as it pertains to choices (lack of internal HDD/eSATA/USB3.0). But I'll always be a fan of them as developers, publishers and hardware makers. Of all the pillars of the videogame biz (aside from the newish iOS/Facebook tent) Nintendo by and large gets it on the business and games side.

WAR Nintendo!

Fanboy!
<3

Sadly it is to third parties.
Not as muchyou as many havedifferent made ita to be. I think code portability is/will be more important, and that is something the Wii did not have. Porting a more graphical game to/from the wii often required alot of work to change the game engine. Power was only part of the problem.

jaypah

I'm really glad Nintendo's thinking falls squarely in line with my own about the importance of console hardware power. As well as where the focus of console games games should be, which is gameplay and interactivity. Nice to see at least one publisher/developer still subscribes to this methodology in these troubled times.

WAR Nintendo!

I don't understand why. Nintendo with more power is still Nintendo, just with a larger canvas. It's not like I had a drought of games on PS3 because of their focus on hardware. I actually went through droughts on Wii to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I understand Nintendo and have put an insane amount of money into them since 87 but I'd still love for them to go as hard as possible. I don't work for them so I don't care how much of the market they control. I don't play stock reports, I play games.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'd rather Nintendo go with capacitive. They can do whatever they want with the internals in terms of power, but they need to go with capacitive.

-you'll always be playing in an indoor environment (no need to worry about gloves, I always hear that being posited as a disadvantage)
-glass is more resiliant to scratches, and smoother; less catch
-multitouch speaks for itself
-there are capacitive stylus solutions

It would just exude that extra bit of quality that makes the experience all the more convincing for potential buyers.

Edit: Pretty much the only con against it is cost. I haven't seen a single other point raised against it, just solutions to resistive's shortcomings.

I don't understand why. Nintendo with more power is still Nintendo, just with a larger canvas. It's not like I had a drought of games on PS3 because of their focus on hardware. I actually went through droughts on Wii to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I understand Nintendo and have put an insane amount of money into them since 87 but I'd still love for them to go as hard as possible. I don't work for them so I don't care how much of the market they control. I don't play stock reports, I play games.

And the whole PS3 has no games at the beggining?

Edit:
XbijH.jpg

Penguin

I guess, fans want to play the long game

Sure, Nintendo can go balls to the walls this gen, and try and compete with MS/Sony's horse power, but it will either drain the funds... or just not allow them to gain a huge marketshare like the Gamecube.

Then what? We are either back in the Wii's camp where its all or nothing, or they try it again.. and then you get into a SEGA situation.

We've gone over this in the past. More power always equals bigger budgets, less risks, less studios who can fail, and studios which can't compete then crumble. These increased costs are then passed off to you the gamer in the form of subscriptions, day 1 DLC, DRM, anti-used games, and likely higher costs. This is exactly what happened this gen with the HD consoles, and will get worse if power keeps increasing at this rate.

That's why Nintendo would be wise to offer a slight power bump from what we have now and nothing else. And lest we not forget, "power" has zero to do with gameplay and interactivity 99.9% of the time.

Azure J

It is actually confirmed that the WiiU will be using a Quad Core or Power 7 CPU or is that still speculation?

TriCore Power7 variant is what's strongly suggested, but nothing's confirmed as of now. On a bit of a tangent, I wonder why Nintendo wouldn't opt for the extra core. Quad isn't that much more daunting on a system design is it? Also my OCD makes me want them to make it a rounded 4. :lol

Door2Dawn

Banned
I guess, fans want to play the long game

Sure, Nintendo can go balls to the walls this gen, and try and compete with MS/Sony's horse power, but it will either drain the funds... or just not allow them to gain a huge marketshare like the Gamecube.

Then what? We are either back in the Wii's camp where its all or nothing, or they try it again.. and then you get into a SEGA situation.

I don't think they lost market share with the gamecube because it was competitive with the other consoles hardware wise.

TriCore Power7 variant is what's strongly suggested, but nothing's confirmed as of now. On a bit of a tangent, I wonder why Nintendo wouldn't opt for the extra core. Quad isn't that much more daunting on a system design is it? Also my OCD makes me want them to make it a rounded 4. :lol

So that's 12 threads of code that can be read simultaneously?

It is actually confirmed that the WiiU will be using a Quad Core or Power 7 CPU or is that still speculation?

It's confirmed that Wii U will use a Power Architecture cpu. How many cores it uses or the specific microarchitecture involved is not confirmed. There was a blurb that said that it "packs the same processor technology found in Watson", and some people have assumed that it meant that the cpu is a POWER7 processor.

Power Architecture is a lot broader than just POWER7.

The number of cores come from rumours, the most popular of which seem to suggest that it is a 3-core cpu.

Penguin

I don't think they lost market share with the gamecube because it was competitive with the other consoles hardware wise.

Wasn't my point.. should explain myself better.

I meant more in the sense that if they go after the Xbox/PS3 crowds, and they end up with Cube level success, then what was the point?

Sure, ideally, people want them to have a console on that level and to sell on the level of the Wii, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

Top Bottom