• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

The 3DS botched launch proves that we need a Mario game ASAP and that giving the launch period to the "turd parties" (as I like to call them) is a bad idea, as they end up getting cold feet and cancelling / delaying their average games, instead of trying to support a fledgling console. (Gabriella's Ghostly Groove, I'm looking at you.)

No Mario - the 3DS didn't sell.
No Mario and price drop - the 3DS only sold slightly more.
Two Mario games - 3DS sells massively!

Slightly? I could swear it was a pretty big bump up.

The 3DS botched launch proves that we need a Mario game ASAP and that giving the launch period to the "turd parties" (as I like to call them) is a bad idea, as they end up getting cold feet and cancelling / delaying their average games, instead of trying to support a fledgling console. (Gabriella's Ghostly Groove, I'm looking at you.)

No Mario - the 3DS didn't sell.
No Mario and price drop - the 3DS only sold slightly more.
Two Mario games - 3DS sells massively!

No.
Saying this just admits that Nintendo can't do anything else to garner sales.
Which means they are fucked this gen.

They do not need Mario at launch. In any shape or form.
What they need are great third party games (multiplats and exclusives) and new first party games that can appeal to the audience that helps support and nurture those third party games.

Saying they need Mario at launch is basically just saying Nintendo should go it alone again.

HylianTom

Banned
No, but Wii had Wii Sports which was transformative. Do they have a game that will cause lightning to strike twice? Maybe.

Maybe their "lightning in a bottle" game is one of the final secrets? But then.. would it be more of the Wii Sports variety, the Mario variety, or something more intense? You never know..

What Nintendo needs at launch: exclusive system selling game. Doesn't have to be mario but that's the easiest one they can cash in on.

What they can't do is have a lacklustre launch and risk creating zero momentum. Yes there will be the crowd that buys the new system regardless of games like there always is, but Nintendo would obviously want more than them, and you aren't gonna get it with multiplats. Who the hell is gonna pay 400-500 bucks to play assassins creed 3 for instance when they can play it for 60.

What Nintendo needs at launch: exclusive system selling game. Doesn't have to be mario but that's the easiest one they can cash in on.

What they can't do is have a lacklustre launch and risk creating zero momentum. Yes there will be the crowd that buys the new system regardless of games like there always is, but Nintendo would obviously want more than them, and you aren't gonna get it with multiplats. Who the hell is gonna pay 400-500 bucks to play assassins creed 3 for instance when they can play it for 60.

WiiUFit?

I can't see them launching with a Wii___ game this time.
There's no need, either.
They need to build up the core base first, since they can get casuals in later.

HylianTom

Banned

Agreed. An exclusive system seller, either from Nintendo or a third party. A huge, monster, attention-grabbing sensational title.

Now.. whom do we trust more to create an exclusive AAA game that'll move systems during the launch window, thus providing crucial starting momentum? Gotta choose wisely, 'cause stumbling out of the gate means bad press, which will likely feed into the media's affinity for a doom-flavored "Nintendo Wii U in trouble right away" narrative. The media well would be poisoned right from the start. No Oprah. No Today Show. No Ellen.

If Nintendo were to step back and let third parties take the reins, I'd prefer that they do so only when absolutely confident that there's at least one or two (example here) Resident Evil 4-level quality exclusive titles available from those game makers. And they should help advertise the shit out of those third-party AAA titles.

And if they're not 100% sure that third parties can get the job done, I'd rather that Nintendo play it safe and come out roaring with their own titles. In that case, third parties would only have themselves to blame. The bottom line? Make launch a magical time for the core. Grab some positive headlines. Get the momentum going to move as many units as possible while having the next-gen market to themselves. Take no chances.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nintendo is going to have a big game for launch, I guarantee it. They have repeated over and over again that they learned from the 3DS launch. I do not know if it will be Mario or not, but I would not be at all surprised if it was.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what it can be, I'm still betting on mario game of some sort, not their BIG one, but possibly mii, repackaged nsmb in hd with new levels.
That wouldn't shift systems. Worse, it would damage perception of Nintendo's commitment to their system and attitude towards consumers at a crucial early stage.

NeoRausch

Whishlist-Time:

I want a superb OS with awesome capabilitys. DAYONE! Please nintendo, do it this time!
oh and for the love of god: add some sorting/folder options in there. My 3DS Homescreen looks like my bedroom!

Oh, and preinstall some nice stuff like on the 3DS. or force people to download them for free to lure them into the e-shop.

I can't see them launching with a Wii___ game this time.
There's no need, either.
They need to build up the core base first, since they can get casuals in later.

I still see them coming out with some mini games to help identify the new system. Kind of like Wii Sports. Maybe even packed in with the hardware. I also see them coming out with one or two stellar full game titles that could either be made by them or published by them along with a 3rd party developer that is exclusive.

As for multiplats they will obviously have those as well and chances are they will be tailored for the new system. This is why people will want a Wii-U, to have a multiplat game that plays differently. They don't necessarily need the game to look better or be technically more advanced, just offer a more enjoyable experience that will differentiate themselves. Kinect and Playstation Move failed IMO in capturing an audience away from traditional ways of playing unless they were exclusive. Nintendo doesn't want the risk to have 3rd party games on the Wii-U feel tacked on like those devices often did.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Neither.

Lets not forget that a big portion of the Wii user base bought Wii for Wiisports and fitness.
What Nintendo should do, if they want to keep the Wii name, is come out with another killer "Wii" titled app for launch. That should keep them busy till the next E3. Year two and three, to maintain momentum, and steal thunder from Sony/MS releases, I see Nintendo releasing their main Mario titles.

WiiU will have some major titles from third parties keeping it strong, unlike the Wii. Games like GTA5, DragonQuest, etc. will broaden the appeal of the Wii brand.

But Nintendo doesn't want to repeat the same mistakes they made at the 3DS launch. That was an absolute disaster and didn't rectify itself until a major price drop AND decent 1st-party games.

I absolutely think you have to have one great 1st-party offering to draw buyers. Multi-platform games aren't going to do it when buyers can already get the same game on their 360/PS3. I'm sorry, but Pikmin 3 isn't a system-seller. They need a Mario game or equivalent at launch to push sales.

If Nintendo wants to reformat the public's view of them as a machine that caters to all, releasing with a mini-game collection like Wii Sports again is a terrible way to go about doing that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
But did Wii launch with a 2D or 3D Mario?
And was it necessary?

It launched with Zelda--a MAJOR 1st-party offering, which is what the Wii U needs as well.

Penguin

I imagine the launch line-up will be

-A manage, old IP. Mario or Pikmin or something like that
-A new, "core" franchise.
-And a new Wii X game.. mostly made up of Battle Mii/Chase Mii esque mini-games.

But Nintendo doesn't want to repeat the same mistakes they made at the 3DS launch. That was an absolute disaster and didn't rectify itself until a major price drop AND decent 1st-party games.

I absolutely think you have to have one great 1st-party offering to draw buyers. Multi-platform games aren't going to do it when buyers can already get the same game on their 360/PS3. I'm sorry, but Pikmin 3 isn't a system-seller. They need a Mario game or equivalent at launch to push sales.

I just don't know about having Mario as the launch game. Even if they could get a 3D Mario out for launch (which might be hard considering that a part of EAD Tokyo just released 3D Land), you also can run into franchise fatigue with possibly three mainline Mario games in a twelve month period.

Would DKC5 or a Zelda game from Retro be considered a major system seller? Because one of those would be more likely I think (though I would prefer Retro work on a new IP and it might help Nintendo expand their range of titles if they did).

Mario will come when the Xbox 720 and PS4 will arrive.

Now we may get Pikmin at launch or at least a few weeks after launch to let the 3rd partys have the launch to them.

Again, no matter whats been said before, releasing a Mario title way before the competition comes would be really dumb. You are not firing your insanely powerful gun before your enemies arrive. They would be out of ammo when the HDTwins 2 hit the shelves!

I would release the 2D Mario for 3DS this winter and a new kick ass full fledged 3D Mario Holiday 2013 (Or whenever the HDTwins 2 will come...)

We may get Pikmin 3 (Or a new BigN franchise) at or few weeks after launch and/or propably Retros new game if its not Zelda ;)

Plinko

Mario will come when the Xbox 720 and PS4 will arrive.

Now we may get Pikmin at launch or at least a few weeks after launch to let the 3rd partys have the launch to them.

Again, no matter whats been said before, releasing a Mario title way before the competition comes would be really dumb. You are not firing your insanely powerful gun before your enemies arrive. They would be out of ammo when the HDTwins 2 hit the shelves!

I would release the 2D Mario for 3DS this winter and a new kick ass full fledged 3D Mario Holiday 2013 (Or whenever the HDTwins 2 will come...)

We may get Pikmin 3 (Or a new BigN franchise) at or few weeks after launch and/or propably Retros new game if its not Zelda ;)

Then Nintendo better have a top-notch 3rd-party exclusive to drive sales.

Pikmin and a host of multi-platform games aren't getting it done. The 3DS launch already proved that.

Plinko

I just don't know about having Mario as the launch game. Even if they could get a 3D Mario out for launch (which might be hard considering that a part of EAD Tokyo just released 3D Land), you also can run into franchise fatigue with possibly three mainline Mario games in a twelve month period.

Would DKC5 or a Zelda game from Retro be considered a major system seller? Because one of those would be more likely I think (though I would prefer Retro work on a new IP and it might help Nintendo expand their range of titles if they did).

Another DKC would be a system-seller--that game sold extremely well on the Wii. Skyward Sword's sales weren't great and I highly doubt Retro would have one ready for launch.

Why did Nintendo change direction after the Wii? After they sold loads fo Wii systems thanks to the (at the time) original and accessible game style, I would have expected the Wii U to have something which is a natural evolution of the technology, perhaps something not too different from Kinect. Instead, they went for the "controller with a screen in the middle" solution, which is completely different from what one expected. Also, perhaps when this was envisioned, this was thought to be impressive, original and all that, but by the time Wii U is out, this technology would be quite passe 'thanks to the iPad'.

Perhaps there are other reasons why they didn't 'do a kinect'?

BD1

Banned
Why did Nintendo change direction after the Wii? After they sold loads fo Wii systems thanks to the (at the time) original and accessible game style, I would have expected the Wii U to have something which is a natural evolution of the technology, perhaps something not too different from Kinect. Instead, they went for the "controller with a screen in the middle" solution, which is completely different from what one expected. Also, perhaps when this was envisioned, this was thought to be impressive, original and all that, but by the time Wii U is out, this technology would be quite passe 'thanks to the iPad'.

Someone post the Miyamoto Kinect E3 picture.

And I wouldn't count out some type of outward facing camera on the Wii U sensor bar. Not full fledged Kinect functionality, but there is to many gameplay possibilities for Nintendo to not at least consider it.

Because they need to be able to cater to a more traditional canvass that would buy games for years. The Wii U controller allows for that, while still being new and interesting.

I believe they want to bring core and casual gamer together on one console. Remember, Wii U is compatible with the Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuck. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wiimote would get a slight overhaul (*cough* Wireless nunchuck *cough*) and would be included in the box.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hold on to your hats....

NintendoEnthusiast.com is back with a Wii U rumour round up marathon!

http://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/rumour-round-up-marathon/

isQwsd6ldY1lM.gif

I am still not convinced that a screen on my controller will massively improve my gaming experience. Also, I guess motion controls are hard to do with a bigass controller like the Wii U remote.

I am still not convinced that a screen on my controller will massively improve my gaming experience. Also, I guess motion controls are hard to do with a bigass controller like the Wii U remote.

That's once again going to be up to the developers.

It's a great tool for creative ideas but you probably won't see too many game makers take advantage of it to its fullest.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Someone post the Miyamoto Kinect E3 picture.

And I wouldn't count out some type of outward facing camera on the Wii U sensor bar. Not full fledged Kinect functionality, but there is to many gameplay possibilities for Nintendo to not at least consider it.

Just imagine a mini-kinect on the padlet thanks to the front camera

And you could move your character with eyebrows and noze movements, when you stick out your tongue, you fire, etc.

It would be called Facial Motion, Face Language or Expression Control and it would be r e v o l u t i o n a r y

Oh, I think it could bring some massive changes. At the minimum, it will enhance the experience, but there's a lot to do to change the experience.

I think most people (not the gaming crowd, the folks who never played a videogame and bought the Wii) will see the controller and think, oh look they made an iPad.

Just imagine a mini-kinect on the padlet thanks to the front camera

And you could move your character with eyebrows and noze movements, when you stick out your tongue, you fire, etc.

It would be called Facial Motion, Face Language or Expression Control and it would be r e v o l u t i o n a r y
I don't know if this is an awesome idea or a horrible one...

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

I'm sure Nintendo were fully aware of the impact of the iPad when they committed to the Wii U design. If anything, they're trying to ride the waves it has created.

Nintendo's 'Wii' strategy was about going after the 'blue ocean' - an open, uncontested market existing within the same industry as the 'red ocean' they'd been competing in with the Gamecube and its predecessors. The Wii's success was evidence that Microsoft and Sony had been missing out on a huge source of revenue, and so they released their own 'me too' devices. Motion controlled and casual gaming is no longer a blue ocean, and releasing a 'Wii 2' that expanded on the original concept would put Nintendo right where it was with Gamecube: competing against bigger corporations with more money to throw around.

I believe the other big reason they went with the tablet design is that their primary aim with this console is to take back the home console market in Japan. The decline of consoles and rise of portables is no doubt influenced by average living conditions in Japan. Small spaces mean that multiple television screens are rare, so long gaming sessions would mean depriving other members of the household of the television. Streaming the game to the controller screen provides a set-up through which gamers have access to full console experiences at home without hogging a television. I think Nintendo are hoping this will win back enough gamers who abandoned consoles for Wii U to overtake the Playstation 3/4. They want to dominate both sides of the industry in Japan.

Regarding Kinect, it's worth noting that the technology was offered to Nintendo before Microsoft. They passed on it because it's so limited in gaming applications, as the software line-up demonstrates.

Then Nintendo better have a top-notch 3rd-party exclusive to drive sales.

Pikmin and a host of multi-platform games aren't getting it done. The 3DS launch already proved that.

What big franchise from Nintendo have we not seen for awhile? Expect it to resurface along with hopefully a brand new IP. I think we will see one made by Nintendo and one partnered with some 3rd party well known developer. Who knows, the rumours may also be true about a new GTA game, nothing like that getting people on-board. Especially if there is a time-exclusive window (doubtful).

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Hold on to your hats....

NintendoEnthusiast.com is back with a Wii U rumour round up marathon!

http://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/rumour-round-up-marathon/

Wii U Resolution, Tablet Resolution Details

This rumour comes from NeoGaf so is instantly 50/50. However, the interesting aspect of this rumour is in the detail.

What to believe: It sounds legit,

It is, phew !
I bet to eat my weight in cheeseburgers that these projects will still run at 720p when they'll launch ><

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Personally, I think with the tablet there are huge opportunities for educational software. I'm talking for little kids up to a Brain Age style game. I think this may be one of the ways Nintendo attempt to capture the casual audience.

Regarding Kinect, it's worth noting that the technology was offered to Nintendo before Microsoft. They passed on it because it's so limited in gaming applications, as the software line-up demonstrates.

Isn't Kinect more 'advanced' than Nintendo wiimote? (well I guess no buttons has some problems).

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I don't know if this is an awesome idea or a horrible one...

I'm betting that with facial recognition, we'll have at least a very-light version of that, think of controlling something with the shape of your mouth, direction of eyebrows, etc.

"My little Aceeeeeeee, do a O with your lips ! yayyy, your character express its surprise in a dialog !"
"Try do give me a square mouth, as if you are furious ? Ok, you're switching to berserk mode !"
"Mimic a kiss ! There you are, tenderly doing it to the NPC that you are seducing since 15 hours by choosing the romantic options in the discussion option wheel"

it's ridiculously revolutionary & awesome

Ubisoft is betting it is an awesome one.
:p

See, you already use your tongue !

But did Wii launch with a 2D or 3D Mario?
And was it necessary?

No it wasn't needed but only because Wii launch had Twilight Princess. We just got SS so surely no Zelda this time and if Retro really is working on a new IP then no Metroid. If Nintendo really is serious about learning from the 3DS launch then they MUST have a Mario game at launch for proper momentum. Pikmin (as great as it is), some second tier in house properties and some 3rd party ports will not do the job this time. Me and Anthony were discussing this a few weeks back. As said before 2009/2010 season had NSMB Wii and then SMG 2 later the following summer, it's been almost a year since the NSMB Mii tech demo at E3 so it's not an impossible pipe dream. "We'll just coast at launch and save Mario for next year" is a terrible business model that has to be shelved.

Top Bottom