• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

AzaK

Kojima was too overwhelmed by the tablet and the rediculously unique expectations it brings to the table to get a dev kit.
Poor Kojima.

What a bummer. I really hated this part:
"Wii U is kind of a special case," said the Epic Mickey creator. "The way the player interacts with the device is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game."
Poor Spector.

Wii-U being too unique is the new go to excuse.
Poor developers.

Nintendo is just a bunch of bastards making new and exciting things that baffle developers and force them to skip making games for it.

If Nintendo goes third party, how will other third parties be able to compete with their games?

End of the gaming industry I say!

It's a vicious cycle.
Nintendo stops making hardware and only makes software.
Their software drives all over developers out of business.
All hardware essentially becomes Nintendo hardware.

EDarkness

"Wii U is kind of a special case," said the Epic Mickey creator. "The way the player interacts with the device is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game."

Even then, the Epic Mickey 2 engine is still compatible with the Wii U, says Spector. The issue isn't with the game's engine, but rather what seems to be Spector's desire to create a unique title centered on the Wii U's capabilities. That's good to know, because the last thing we need is a wacky Wii U port of what could be a great game on other consoles. If Spector wants to tinker around with the upcoming Nintendo console's hardware to deliver an intriguing and unique game, that's a much better idea than a port.

I guess people forget that the Wii U can use the remote and nunchuck. So he's already making a Wii game, so it would be easy as hell to use the same interface with the same devices. It's just some silly excuse to pay the Wii U lip service. I like Spector, he's a nice guy and we've had quite a few chats in Austin and at E3, but I'm a little disappointed with that response. Really makes me have little respect for game developers. They must think that the gaming public is pretty dumb....

I'm wary of that Epic Mickey Wii U comment....

Wasnt the developer of the HD version working on a Wii U launch game? Maybe Spector was reffering to Junction Point working on a Wii U version? Context is important.

fernoca

Though the 360/PS3 ports are been handled by Blitz Games. Guess they couldn't "afford" a Wii U version with "unique controls". :p

I rather have DreamRift porting the 3DS game to Wii U anyway. :p

It's a vicious cycle.
Nintendo stops making hardware and only makes software.
Their software drives all over developers out of business.
All hardware essentially becomes Nintendo hardware.

Nobody buys Nintendo hardware because it's spread too thin
Nintendo dies
Woman inherits the Earth

Anth0ny

Rule of thumb: Never listen to Anth0ny in this thread

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

botty

Banned
Though the 360/PS3 ports are been handled by Blitz Games. Guess they couldn't "afford" a Wii U version with "unique controls". :p

I rather have DreamRift porting the 3DS game to Wii U anyway. :p

I would rather buy an enhanced version of the 3DS Epic Mickey for Wii U, than a HD Epic Mickey 2.

I guess people forget that the Wii U can use the remote and nunchuck. So he's already making a Wii game, so it would be easy as hell to use the same interface with the same devices. It's just some silly excuse to pay the Wii U lip service. I like Spector, he's a nice guy and we've had quite a few chats in Austin and at E3, but I'm a little disappointed with that response. Really makes me have little respect for game developers. They must think that the gaming public is pretty dumb....

I think that's a problem. What controlsceme will devs choose and if they have the choice, i doubt many will make a game just for it. So i expect a lot of maps and inventory screens.

Latest update of FMOD audio library seems to "fix a crash when playing GCADPCM audio", on the WiiU.

From what I understand that -compressed- format was used for both the Gamecube and the Wii. (hardware decoded?)

For the hardcore techies out there, is it something specifically used for backwards compatibility (e.g not available in "WiiU mode") or could it be actively used on WiiU titles as well?

(or maybe it's software-decoded now)

Hate to be quoting myself but...anyone?

nordique

Since MS enter to console space, power of the system has been...
Xbox/GCN/PS2 generation:
1 MS
2 Nintendo
3 Sony

360/PS3/Wii generation:
1 Sony
2 MS

3 Nintendo

720/PS4/WiiU should be:
1 Nintendo
2 Sony
3 MS

Everyone has occupied a different spot at least once =P

Some of us would argue the 360 is actually more powerful than the PS3 :p

But lets not go there haha

The fact that it is the launch window is the key here. Wii U only needs about a dozen or so varied titles of a high quality at first. People only buy so many games at a time, and certain launch titles are going to be must-haves for large groups of people. When we start getting into next year and it's the critical time where momentum must be kept, then additional 3rd party support will become a necessity. It would even be good to get some late/upgraded ports of fall/winter "hidden gems" which will inevitably get overshadowed by the holiday onslaught of "AAA" titles.
I'm skeptical many will be buying the Wii U specifically for any of these third party multiplatform/port games in development.

They'll be getting it either because they're of the early adopter mindset and get everything at launch - or everything Nintendo at launch - and thus would be getting it regardless.

Or they'll be getting it for whatever unique software Nintendo puts out for the system; particularly if it uses the tablet USP in a compelling way.

The third party support is good in terms of maintaining momentum though I agree. People shouldn't be left wanting in the launch period at least.

shnord

Neo Member
They'll probably release a new Classic Controller with GC triggers.
I find it sad that the newer Classic Controller is called "Pro" when it's actually less functional than the original Classic Controller which did have GC triggers. Less distance on the analog, but it's still there. I have one and I like it just fine with the rounded back instead of handles.

EDarkness

I think it be in 3rd party's best interest to come out swinging with the Wii U. Set the stage early so that there will be a lot of gamers in the mix. They didn't do that with the Wii and it cost them. Well, I guess the Wii situation was a bit more complicated in that they kept second guessing who the Wii owners were and it kept them flip-flopping with the types of games they were making for the system. Still, starting that sort of thing early is good in the long term, and I would hope that Nintendo was working to make that happen.

I think it be in 3rd party's best interest to come out swinging with the Wii U. Set the stage early so that there will be a lot of gamers in the mix. They didn't do that with the Wii and it cost them. Well, I guess the Wii situation was a bit more complicated in that they kept second guessing who the Wii owners were and it kept them flip-flopping with the types of games they were making for the system. Still, starting that sort of thing early is good in the long term, and I would hope that Nintendo was working to make that happen.
But if third parties did well on a Nintendo console, then they couldn't complain about not being able to compete with Nintendo.

Xenoblade Wii U believe
Wii U Xenoblade prequel linking Xenoblade to Xenosaga and providing the missing link to Xenogears, setting up an exclusive Wii U Xenogears remake that replaces the rocking chair sequence with the originally planned dungeons and gameplay, selling such huge numbers that the Wii U starts a huge revival of high quality RPG's, both jRPG and Western, which convinces Richard Garriott to require all of the Ultima licenses and start making new Ultima games again, all for Wii U.

believe.

MDX

Even then, the Epic Mickey 2 engine is still compatible with the Wii U, says Spector. The issue isn't with the game's engine, but rather what seems to be Spector's desire to create a unique title centered on the Wii U's capabilities. That's good to know, because the last thing we need is a wacky Wii U port of what could be a great game on other consoles. If Spector wants to tinker around with the upcoming Nintendo console's hardware to deliver an intriguing and unique game, that's a much better idea than a port.

The only thing that bothers me about this, is that developers are making the same mistake with the Wii. YOU DONT HAVE TO USE THE TABLET CONTROLLER! You still have the option of using the Wiimote and Chuck or even the classic controller.

That said, I think the UBI is trying to capitalize on sales. Putting family friendly games on the Wii, and more mature games on the WiiU. So... I dont know why people are complaining. We can still play Wii games on the WiiU!

I think making the console look so similar to the Wii is a bad move on Nintendo's part and I hope they make some changes to its appearance (at least the color!). Many casuals will probably not get the idea that it's a brand new system if it looks just like the one they already have.

Do people have the same problem with the IPad 3? Serious question?

As long as the marketing is doing it's job, people will actively seek out the latest model instead of an older one.

The problem with the 3DS was, that it was presented as the new DSI version with a 3D screen but no other advancements.

Form Factor is irrelevant. If it was, no one would've bought a PS2 as it is still one of the ugliest consoles to ever being released, aside from Segas tower of babel desaster.

VAPitts

The only thing that bothers me about this, is that developers are making the same mistake with the Wii. YOU DONT HAVE TO USE THE TABLET CONTROLLER! You still have the option of using the Wiimote and Chuck or even the classic controller.

That said, I think the UBI is trying to capitalize on sales. Putting family friendly games on the Wii, and more mature games on the WiiU. So... I dont know why people are complaining. We can still play Wii games on the WiiU!

this has probably been stated but what i can't understand is why was Specter on the interview vid if he didn't have anything in the pipes? i know that's kinda harsh sounding but pretty much everybody on there except for him and Levine have games in the works that we know about. to me, EM2 was a given to be on the Wii U. w/e i don't even care anymore

BD1

Banned
No Wii U Epic Mickey

I just don't get why developers and/or publishers ignore putting "mascot" titles on Nintendo consoles. DEM2 not being on Wii U is right up there with no Sonic Generations on Wii. There is a track record of success on Nintendo platforms that is largely ignored in the decision making process.

Xenoblade Wii U believe

Monolith's Wii U game will most likely include a crashed UFO or floating castle...

Top Bottom