• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Sony Vegas to edit the source video/add the subtitles and Ulead Gif Animator to create the actual gif.

Oh my god Ulead.

I've been using some ancient free shareware version since the 90s. Still mirrored at various places around the net.

Not good enough to do what you do but yeah, the mention of that program. :)

adg1034

Just to address something, we learned about motion controls and IR pointing the day Iwata showed the controller off at TGS 2005:

Revolution guarantees this. The main source of input is nothing short of unexpected and untraditional. It is essentially a wireless, square remote that works something like a computer mouse would in 3D space. Imagine sticking your hand into a virtual box and having your TV understand how it's moving in there. Now you're getting the idea.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html

More at the link.

Utterly fantastic bro. So missed your presence here.

Place me firmly in the skeptics camp as well. Surely, there is something Ideaman can do to get himself verified by the mods.

You worked for a magazine, you say, correct Ideaman? How bout showing a scan of one of your articles to one of the mods along w/ some ID? Anything that links you to the industry. I'm amazed that some posters here have accepted your walls of text as a substitute for actual verification. Your posts also seem out of character for a presumably 40-something professional journalist (whooping it up because your post is the first one a page? Really?). You somehow talk the doubters down, which I'll give to you. It's been a good show, but enough is enough. Drop the mask and there might still be some salvation. We Nintendo fanboys are a forgiving lot. Case in point, we welcome back Silicon Knights with open arms. ;)

HylianTom

Banned
Didn't Ideaman already got himself verified by the mods?

From what I recall, he had a private chat with one of the verified insiders (I forget who) who then vouched for him publicly in here. At that point, I was less skeptical.

I don't think it matters anymore, he's not making outrageous claims.

If he gets verified or was already, no one is going to be like "OMG IT'S ALL TRUE, HE'S LEGIT".

If he doesn't get verified or hasn't already, no one is going to be devastated either.
Pretty much. If anything, he's spurred some pretty good conversations.

I don't think it matters anymore, he's not making outrageous claims.

If he gets verified or was already, no one is going to be like "OMG IT'S ALL TRUE, HE'S LEGIT".

If he doesn't get verified or hasn't already, no one is going to be devastated either.

If so, I'll completely recant my statement. These threads move fast, but I've kept up pretty well over the months. Last I heard, he "verified" some of his info w/ lherre. That just doesn't work for me on a few different levels.

smug

Banned
I knew it.. a LOT of whispers from 3rd part developers saying they are VERY impressed with Wii U and just like I called it..

Wii U will have a LOT more ram than either XBOX or PS3... sure they are 6-7 years old.. but it's clear Nintendo is stepping up their game for 3rd party support. I believe they are going to lower their margins slightly in order to really gain momentum with 3rd party support.

So now that the Wii U will have the best version both graphically and potentially using the screen portion on Wii U, are you going to still buy the inferior XBOX/PS3 version?

We know this will all be different once xbox720/ps4 comes out.. but we have heard a LOT of rumblings that neither will be going over board on power.. It might be safe to say Nintendo hit the HD timing perfectly..

Now where did those pesky little pikmin go? I CAN'T WAIT for E3.. Shock and Awe round deux.. megaton am ready!!!

sbjAH.jpg

From what I recall, he had a private chat with one of the verified insiders (I forget who) who then vouched for him publicly in here. At that point, I was less skeptical.

I recall that it was lherre. They passed back and forth (privately) enough information that proved legitimate.

Technically, though, Arkam is officially more trustworthy than IM.

The specs posted in that link would make Wii U overall ~50% as powerful as current-gen. Guy is totally nuts to be that pessimistic.

I'm skeptical as far as Ideaman goes. I've also been following the beyond3d discussion and that post also seems very pessimistic. There's no reason to aim that low.

You're seriously pushing your luck.

He's right though.

And BP, it was lherre that HylianTom is referring to.

I searched and didn't see this posted. Credit to Tottentanz on GameFAQS.

http://www.warpzoned.com/?p=20970

We learned two very interesting things about Aliens: Colonial Marines at this weekend’s PAX East.

One, the Sega-published shooter has been inducted into the “official canon” of the Alien universe by 20th Century Fox. Chris Faylor, the Community Manager for developer Gearbox Software, told us that all previous expanded universe material (including the novels, the comics, and all the Alien vs Predator stuff) has been thrown out. The only productions currently considered canon are the first four films (yes, even Alien 3), Aliens: Colonial Marines, and maybe Ridley Scott’s Prometheus (since there’s still the possibility it’s not a prequel).

We also chatted with Matt Powers, a Senior Producer on the game for Sega, about the Wii U version of the game. Powers initially referred to the game as “the Wii U port” and Faylor rushed back over to scold him, telling us: “I hate that word. The Wii U version is not a port. Remove it from your vocabulary.”

After that rather tense exchange, we tried to get Powers to talk more about how the Wii U controller would come into play. With the Community Manager standing over his shoulder, he would only say that “there are interesting things you can do with the Wii U controller” and “for an Aliens game, you can probably guess what some of those things are.”

For the non-diehards in the audience, Powers was (wink, wink) likely referring to the famous radar display Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, and the rest of the Colonial Marines used to track the xenomorphs in the film.

Wii U Aliens is not a port? Built from the ground up for Wii U hardware? Might explain why they are saying it's more powerful that PS360.

BurntPork

Banned
You're seriously pushing your luck.

How? I'm just saying that it's kinda hard to prove that he was a journalist 15-20 years ago. That's a fact. And that's all that I'm saying. What is wrong with explaining why the mods aren't able to verify him?

Why is everyone interpreting everything I say as having malicious intent? Ugh.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
He's right though.

Wii U Aliens is not a port? Built from the ground up for Wii U hardware? Might explain why they are saying it's more powerful that PS360.

Wow! Actual news! Thanks!

I knew it.. a LOT of whispers from 3rd part developers saying they are VERY impressed with Wii U and just like I called it..

Wii U will have a LOT more ram than either XBOX or PS3... sure they are 6-7 years old.. but it's clear Nintendo is stepping up their game for 3rd party support. I believe they are going to lower their margins slightly in order to really gain momentum with 3rd party support.

So now that the Wii U will have the best version both graphically and potentially using the screen portion on Wii U, are you going to still buy the inferior XBOX/PS3 version?

We know this will all be different once xbox720/ps4 comes out.. but we have heard a LOT of rumblings that neither will be going over board on power.. It might be safe to say Nintendo hit the HD timing perfectly..

Now where did those pesky little pikmin go? I CAN'T WAIT for E3.. Shock and Awe round deux.. megaton am ready!!!
Huh?
He's right though.

Sounds about right. Too bad DS2 can't say the same. That game could use the extra power so well.

I recall that it was lherre. They passed back and forth (privately) enough information that proved legitimate.

Technically, though, Arkam is officially more trustworthy than IM.

Okay, here's as much confirmation as we ever got on IdeaMan:

lherre said:
Ideaman and me talked via pm and we "exchanged" info about wii U. I think that he has good info in some ways, but you have to understand that this info can be subjective too (for example in the perception that his "friends" can have about the machine), just like mine.

I'm not trying to legitimize him (only the mods can) but I think it can be interesting to hear what he wants to say (or his connections allow him to say).

We love you IM! ♥

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I hate to be such a skeptic, but my first instinct from that quote as at best he is talking about some controller uses.

Top Bottom