• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Batman: Arkham State

Don't you think Rocksteady should give Batman a break?
I know they are good games and sell deservedly well, but with 2 Arkham games already released in single generation they should be careful not to overdo it.

As for GTA, I said it previously, in a theoretical WiiU version I would like UTablet to be used like a virtual radio, to turn the knobs to switch stations or to adjust volume, with music coming out from the tablet's speakers and not from TV.

THE:MILKMAN

RockSteady Studios is working on a "Next generation AAA title"

they are hiring for it here: http://www.rocksteadyltd.com/jobs-snrtechanimator.html

let the speculations BEGIN !! :p

didnt we get a confirmation from Mark Rein that Batman:AC is still in development for the WiiU ?? if that is true then I expect the port to be handled by a separate team ?? or they divided their team ?? i dunno i thought i should mention this cuz I didnt read this anywhere

Scrolling down that advert, it says "last updated 15/09/2010". Does that mean next generation= PS360?

Don't you think Rocksteady should give Batman a break?
I know they are good games and sell deservedly well, but with 2 Arkham games already released in single generation they should be careful not to overdo it.

As for GTA, I said it previously, in a theoretical WiiU version I would like UTablet to be used like a virtual radio, to turn the knobs to switch stations or to adjust volume, with music coming out from the tablet's speakers and not from TV.

But theres been what 5 AC, 4 Halo, 3 Gears, 3 4 Uncharted games, yet no one wants those to have a break, it seems.
So 2 Arkham games in one generation is pretty good, this is a next generation game Rocksteady is working on.

Scrolling down that advert, it says "last updated 15/09/2010". Does that mean next generation= PS360?
2010 is still part of the 360/PS3/Wii generation...

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
You can't, however, use the Wii U controller as a golf club/tennis raquet, hand motion, etc. etc... it's effectively relegating it to shaking and tilting like the SixAxxis.

I'm sorry but i have neat ideas about a Nintendo Beat Them All introducing a violent Viligante SK8TER Super-Hero, crushing bad boys heads with its skate by mimicing the sweeping movement with the padlet. It will be called "The Avenging Skateboard". Letting of the steam assured with this title.

And think of "Twosome is Tiresome", a satire of the couple life, with a collection of mini-games like "break the dishes", where you'll have to throw plates on the floor the fastest possible by simulating it with padlet gestures. Local & online multiplayer, internet ranking, and monthly prize for the best "desperate virtual engaged".

Even if the Wii U controller size is less practical than the Wii remote for motion gaming, there are really a lot of applications i can imagine for it :p

But theres been what 5 AC, 4 Halo, 3 Gears, 3 4 Uncharted games, yet no one wants those to have a break, it seems.
So 2 Arkham games in one generation is pretty good, this is a next generation game Rocksteady is working on.

In fact honestly I reckon Uncharted, God of war and Assassins creed are being overmilked during this generation, regardless of how actually good those games are.
2 Arkham games in a single generation are acceptable to me as well, but they should be careful before releasing a third IMO, I mean, look at Guitar hero or Layton, releasing a game on a yearly basis may eventually bring customers to saturation.

Speaking of which I can't help recalling how Nintendo had been previously criticezed on the allegation they were exploiting Mario and Zelda games just to make money, as when they released Galaxy 2.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Not a surprise, but Ubisoft's E3 Conference will be on the 4th. (Monday.)
Kevin Cassidy nor Gamefront.de linked to any press release, so I assume the time and venue is not finalized yet. Nothing on Ubisoft's corporate site either.

Nice though we are starting to see some E3 news anyway, now only The ESA needs to release those floor plans for E3. Should be up after the 20th of March.

http://www.mapyourshow.com/shows/index.cfm?Show_ID=E312

wsippel

Banned
Digging through Linkedin, I'm now positive that the Wii U GPU was in development for at least two years, from June 2009 to June 2011:

June 2009 – April 2011 (1 year 11 months)

Worked on the verification for some of the blocks in the Nintendo Wii-U Game Console. Did block level and system level verification for GPU blocks UVD(Universal Video Decoder) which can decode the H264, MPEG2 and VC1 streams and supports the decoding of encrypted streams. Also Worked on the verification of the AHB Subsystem blocks,AHMN bridge to connect the AHB bus to the Memory interface. AIMN another AHB-AHB bridge to connect SATA to the AHB IO bus.

August 2009 – June 2011 (1 year 11 months)

Here in AMD I am part of SOC Verification Team in Game Console Engineering group. Here I've been working in chip level and sub-system level netlist simulations + functional verification of sub-systems of Graphics Processor.

January 2010 – June 2011 (1 year 6 months)

Working on Gaming console GPUs

It seems development took place in Hyderabad, India, and I have the feeling that a company I've never heard of, SoCtronics, was also involved. Possibly ST-Ericsson as well (video streaming).

In fact honestly I reckon Uncharted, God of war and Assassins creed are being overmilked during this generation, regardless of how actually good those games are.
2 Arkham games in a single generation are acceptable to me as well, but they should be careful before releasing a third IMO, I mean, look at Guitar hero or Layton, releasing a game on a yearly basis may eventually bring customers to saturation.

Speaking of which I can't wrap around my head how Nintendo has been blamed to exploit Mario and Zelda games just to make money, as when they released Galaxy 2.

I think 3 or 4 games in a series, including sponoffs, isn't too bad for a gen that has gone as long as this. COD and Assasins creed yearly could stall out but even if they start to fade I don't see it cratering as fast or as far as the plastic instrument stuff.

The Guitar hero thing is a bit different anyway they were releasing new games and packs practicaly every coupe of months.

StevieP

Banned
UVD? Well at least we know the Wii U GPU is based on ATI's 2xxx series and up lol.

The SoC verification thing could be for the PS4, however. Unless the Wii U is now speculated to be on an SoC (though to be fair, my memory is basically shot from the original 2 Wii U threads due to most of the posts being about Goku)

:D (great find wsippel)

Wiz

What do you think the controls for the Wii U Zelda will be like? Obviously it'll make use of the pad, but I remember Anouma talking about sticking with motion controls with future Zelda games, so I'm not too sure.

Cookychan

Banned
Oh wow, SK are licensed? The renewing of the ED trademark makes a little more sense now.
Also, maybe an inflammatory opinion, but Rocksteady is the only developer to be trusted with superhero-based games. Only developer.

Cookychan

Banned
What do you think the controls for the Wii U Zelda will be like? Obviously it'll make use of the pad, but I remember Anouma talking about sticking with motion controls with future Zelda games, so I'm not too sure.

Motion, as in, the motion performed when you move around the key in Skyward Sword.

wsippel

Banned
UVD? Well at least we know the Wii U GPU is based on ATI's 2xxx series and up lol.

The SoC verification thing could be for the PS4, however. Unless the Wii U is now speculated to be on an SoC (though to be fair, my memory is basically shot from the original 2 Wii U threads due to most of the posts being about Goku)

:D (great find wsippel)
I believe AMD considers Hollywood a "SoC" as well, as it contains the GPU and Starlet. Broadway technically isn't even needed to boot the system if I remember correctly.

Wiz

Motion, as in, the motion performed when you move around the key in Skyward Sword.

Oh, I was hoping for more than that. I'm fine with either style but I'm probably one of the few who preferred Skywards controls over other games in the series.

guek

Banned
Hmm. Considering Nintendo has been super buddy buddy with Capcom lately, are there any big Wii U games other than RE6 that could rear its head at E3 this year?

You guys think a Wii U monster hunter game would throw gaf in a tizzy?

I'd give my left net for nintendo x capcom. Even if all we got was a logo. Even if iwata just coughed and muttered the title under his breath as he left the stage.

Cookychan

Banned
Hmm. Considering Nintendo has been super buddy buddy with Capcom lately, are there any big Wii U games other than RE6 that could rear its head at E3 this year?

I'd give my left net for nintendo x capcom. Even if all we got was a logo. Even if iwata just coughed and muttered the title under his breath as he left the stage.

Monster Hunter 4 to be a Nintendo multi-plat (3DS and U), RE6, and a Revelations between two games game.

Oh God yes Wiz, Okamiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. Yesssssss.

Wiz

*drools at the thought of a new Okami game*

At E3?

I'd expect TGS, if anything.

----

Also did people really go from "Rein's comments don't mean anything about UE4 on Wii-U, it's surely powerful enough if he's pleased" to "XBOX3/PS4 clearly not powerful enough for UE4, Rein publically blackmailing Sony/MS?" in the space of a day?

I am more wondering what could be happening behind the scenes with Koei Tecmo, I think they have been the company that Nintendo's the closest to out of any other big publisher, why?

I mean we got Other M, Pokemon X Nobunaga, Link and Samus costumes in DWVS, Takamura in SW3, a Ridley stage in DOAD, am I forgetting anything?

Seriously, could Nintendo in fact be eyeballing a takeover? They tried with Bandai, but Bandai lassoed Namco and gave Nintendo Monolith instead as in a sense to keep them off their backs. From what I recall reading.

That would be huge if it happened, I mean what other companies has Nintendo done this with? Something has to be going on, it's no small thing, I mean POKEMON!!! o_O

On another note, here's a good question for thought; what KT team should work on what Nintendo IP next? Would people have really been itching for Team Ninja to do Metroid?

wsippel

Banned
I am more wondering what could be happening behind the scenes with Koei Tecmo, I think they have been the company that Nintendo's the closest to out of any other big publisher, why?

I mean we got Other M, Pokemon X Nobunaga, Link and Samus costumes in DWVS, Takamura in SW3, a Ridley stage in DOAD, am I forgetting anything?
Fatal Frame.

Lausebub

Banned
JwIkA.jpg

People who want a realistic Zelda: Would you like to take back that statement?

This doesn't look realistic. More like Prince Charming from Shrek. If a realistic Zelda actually happens, what about changing his regular looks? Of course this stuff makes him recognizable, but what about a Link with more normal clothing, without a shield (maybe some armor on his right arm) and a sword hanging on his right side. And ditch the cap, it wouldn't fit either.

hatchx

Banned

Seriously, could Nintendo in fact be eyeballing a takeover? They tried with Bandai, but Bandai lassoed Namco and gave Nintendo Monolith instead as in a sense to keep them off their backs. From what I recall reading.

That would be huge if it happened, I mean what other companies has Nintendo done this with? Something has to be going on, it's no small thing, I mean POKEMON!!! o_O

On another note, here's a good question for thought; what KT team should work on what Nintendo IP next? Would people have really been itching for Team Ninja to do Metroid?

When and where did you hear this?

Sure Nintendo and Tecmo are tight these days, but they are tight with Capcom and Sega too. I think Tecmo might be runner-up for a WiiU exclusive, but I wouldn't look too much further into it.

radcliff

From Capcom, I could see Wii U getting Monster Hunter 4G about a year after MH4 is released on 3DS. For Capcom launch/launch window support, I think Wii U will see Resident Evil 6, Dragon's Dogma (this game was made at Capcom proper and I think they want this to be a new successful IP for them), and a fighting game (SSF IV, SF X Tekken, or Marvel vs. Capcom 3). If the Darkstalkers rumor is true, I see no reason why that won't go to Wii U as well. Nintendo X Capcom would be amazing and we know Ono wants to do it.

I think we really need to turn down the hype and expectations in this thread. So much could go wrong...

When's this investor conference anyway?

hatchx

Banned
I think we really need to turn down the hype and expectations in this thread. So much could go wrong...

Yeah really. It'll be exciting regardless, but I remember the 3DS blow out and how amazing it all seemed. We all thought it was launch window, but that launch window lasted a full year.

I'm just saying we've heard the online spheal (sp?) before, we've heard about saying wow with regards to the graphics, we've heard about the bolstered third party support and as far as I'm concerned it's been all talk. I want this to go right so bad...but I that's a lot of perceptions to change in one day let alone one event.

Anybody gonna youtube their E3 presser reactions?

HylianTom

Banned

The Wii E3 in 2006 gives me all the confidence in the world. Nintendo knows how to roll-out a new console. Especially when they're being this secretive. I think that this may be the most secretive I've ever seen ' em.

Top Bottom