• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Do we have a time yet for nintendo's e3 conference this year? I can't really search well since I'm at work and everything is blocked.

Edit: Shit...in the op

lednerg

Do we have a time yet for nintendo's e3 conference this year? I can't really search well since I'm at work and everything is blocked.

Edit: Shit...in the op
Pretty sure that's just a guess based on prior years. I don't think we'll know the actual date/time until the invitations go out.

WhyMe6

That reminds me of that idea i had a few weeks back.

pack in a wuhu island hub-world disc (or pre-install). 'cause nintendo fucking loves wuhu island as much as i do.

then give me some events and free/paid DLC events every few weeks.

And make that shit my mii home for me and my friendlist buddys. Make it mii/wuhu island crossing with awesome shit.

bow shooting, bicycle races, cars, partys, event nigts, meetup locations with old games, a news section with videos and or demos.

i would love to some kind of "home" system placed on wuhu island.

Goddamn I love this idea. Tomodachi Collection on DS is a step in the right direction for customisation - outfits.

lednerg

Nothing since that article claiming Nintendo is not using 1T-SRAM on Wii U anymore
ohh.. and some Assassins Creed 3 artworks but that's hardly "news"

As far as I can tell, the 1T-SRAM was really just about hardware-based backwards compatibility with the Wii. So if it's not using it, then I guess they'll use a software layer for calls to the memory or some crap. (Just realized I'm not a programmer)

Roo

As far as I can tell, the 1T-SRAM was really just about hardware-based backwards compatibility with the Wii. So if it's not using it, then I guess they'll use a software layer for calls to the memory or some crap. (Just realized I'm not a programmer)

To be honest, I'm not sure if it is official or just a rumor. I think someone here confirmed it (bgassassin??? wisppel(???) Sorry, forgot the name) but it was the last thread related discussion I remember :p

I don't think so. If it's not in the OP or in this post, then it didn't happen as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: Oh, IdeaMan was saying that he has some scraps to throw at us in a day or so.

Nothing since that article claiming Nintendo is not using 1T-SRAM on Wii U anymore
ohh.. and some Assassins Creed 3 artworks but that's hardly "news"

Hm, thought as much. I'm all caught up then. Thanks guys!

Hopefully IdeaMan delivers - this thread is on a downward spiral I think - the lack of any info is finally starting to kill us. E3 is going to be massive this year if we get nothing beforehand.

j.rob

I'm dying for some news over here. I cannot believe nothing has leaked yet. Nintendo has got those ninjas working over time :/

As long as I have a good fighting game fix on the wii U at launch then its all good. Tekken is comming, but I don't think it will make launch. Maybe SfxT or Marvel?

And then hopefully that will pave the way for the awesomeness that is Nintendo VS Capcom. Or at the VERY LEAST Tatsunoko vs Capcom 2. That was the most underrated fighting game of all time :(

Christine

So.... lemme get this straight... it's a pipe dream to have software emulation that renders a game that already has high-res assets in 1080p, but the re-release of the entire VC back catalog in 1080p is somehow MORE likely? How exactly do you figure that?

Sorry, man, if we ain't getting the easy option for Wii titles, we aren't gonna see it happen to anything else, either.

Recompiling the 8 and 16 bit emulators for a higher-res output scaling and to run natively on U would be markedly trivial, and they have good reasons to want to repackage the downloads anyway if they don't want to continue their copy protection failures. N64 is more fiddly, but we're talking about 21 games, not potentially hundreds.

lednerg

Hopefully IdeaMan delivers - this thread is on a downward spiral I think - the lack of any info is finally starting to kill us. E3 is going to be massive this year if we get nothing beforehand.

Eh, I think it's just returning to normal. While it's nice to see all the enthusiasm out there, 20+ new pages a day is fricken annoying to have to sift through.

Also, WTF is up with the new title? Is Michael "Nintendo will Dreamcast itself" Pachter a mod now? How about we keep our console biases out of our modding, Neogaf?

MDX

To be honest, I'm not sure if it is official or just a rumor. I think someone here confirmed it (bgassassin??? wisppel(???) Sorry, forgot the name) but it was the last thread related discussion I remember :p

You mean about there not being and 1T-SRAM in the WiiU?

In addition, Nintendo is expected to introduce a new gaming system in 2012, which does not incorporate our technology, and will likely cause a reduction in royalties we receive related to the existing gaming devices.
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/890394/000104746912002721/a2207956z10-k.htm

Eh, I think it's just returning to normal. While it's nice to see all the enthusiasm out there, 20+ new pages a day is fricken annoying to have to sift through.

Also, WTF is up with the new title? Is Michael "Nintendo will Dreamcast itself" Pachter a mod now? How about we keep our console biases out of our modding, Neogaf?

It's certainly slowed down a lot. In part, this is good, because there's less crazy comments and wild speculation. But the excitement and hype has dissipated a lot.

lednerg

I was just thinking about how Nintendo could go about transferring Wii VC and WiiWare titles to the Wii U. There's no way they're going to let us have two playable copies of a game at a time - not without having paid for the second. So one method would be a Wii System update which would let us move games from one system to another. It would de-authorize the Wii from running copies of games before letting us install them on the Wii U. The problem with that is there are already ways around such measures, homebrew apps which let you downgrade to older Wii system software, for instance.

The main issue with VC transferring is if Nintendo just lets people re-download VC stuff for free on their Wii U, then nothing's stopping them from selling (or giving away) their old Wii's with a bunch of VC games included for free. There's simply no way that would fly with Nintendo. So either they're going to try something like I said above, or they just aren't going to bother. I'm guessing it will be the latter, but I hope not.

EDIT: Another way to do it would be some kind of trade-in program, but that would be a massive undertaking.

Recompiling the 8 and 16 bit emulators for a higher-res output scaling and to run natively on U would be markedly trivial, and they have good reasons to want to repackage the downloads anyway if they don't want to continue their copy protection failures. N64 is more fiddly, but we're talking about 21 games, not potentially hundreds.
Pretty much. If they'd made all N64 VC games run at their original resolution, then I could see the skepticism, but to go from emulating it at several times original resolution to several more times original resolution is just an extension.
lednerg said:
There's no way they're going to let us have two playable copies of a game at a time - not without having paid for the second. So one method would be a Wii System update which would let us move games from one system to another. It would de-authorize the Wii from running copies of games before letting us install them on the Wii U. The problem with that is there are already ways around such measures, homebrew apps which let you downgrade to older Wii system software, for instance.
As long as there's not anything they can do about it, it's probably not in their best interests to worry about it. Spiting all the legitimate purchases because some people will cheat the system to continue to play old emulated games on now-obsolete hardware isn't going to do anyone any good.

BY2K

Membero Americo

I think it's more of a jab AT Pachter rather than a jab at US.

Bagu

VTKsV.jpg

FKTE4.jpg

9UMbO.jpg

does Epic Mickey have a WiiU chance?

and why you guys have been talking for pages about BC I hope its still 100%BC because I've been saving all my Wii games to play on that pad :(

NeoRausch

I was just thinking about how Nintendo could go about transferring Wii VC and WiiWare titles to the Wii U. There's no way they're going to let us have two playable copies of a game at a time - not without having paid for the second. So one method would be a Wii System update which would let us move games from one system to another. It would de-authorize the Wii from running copies of games before letting us install them on the Wii U. The problem with that is there are already ways around such measures, homebrew apps which let you downgrade to older Wii system software, for instance.

The main issue with VC transferring is if Nintendo just lets people re-download VC stuff for free on their Wii U, then nothing's stopping them from selling (or giving away) their old Wii's with a bunch of VC games included for free. There's simply no way that would fly with Nintendo. So either they're going to try something like I said above, or they just aren't going to bother. I'm guessing it will be the latter, but I hope not.

EDIT: Another way to do it would be some kind of trade-in program, but that would be a massive undertaking.
I think thei either bring a new system update/transfare tool (like the DS-to-3DS one) to the wii which in one rush gonna delete all games from the wii. Just like the ds app did.
or the get some transfare hardware method to work. A usb stick or some sd card solution.

perfect would be the introduction of a overall system comming with the Nintendo-Network. Register you wii download to your account and redownload them to your wii you later. Every registered game will be auto-deleted from your wii. Won't happen though.

I'm sure this has probably been asked before (almost everything imaginable has been at this point), but do you think we'll get 3rd party U pads?

I seem to remember seeing leaked pictures of the dodgy plastic tennis and golf attachments for the Wiimote pretty early on? Might we get some sort of leaks from this direction?

lednerg

Sometimes you have to force education on people. If you haven't watched "The Castle of Cagliostro" I'd recomend it.

Yeah, I just found it for free on YouTube (legit, not pirated). I'll check it out at some point.

Food for thought to keep this on topic: Wii U has Nintendo's first new console hardware architecture since the late 90's, when the Gamecube was designed. The Wii was really just the second half of Gamecube's life, with little more than overclocked GC chips and motion controls. It was their "Kinect" upgrade, only with some extra horsepower. While it seems that Nintendo has been behind the curve, they've actually been years ahead of it. People counting Nintendo out in terms of tech and planning are ignoring the fact that they were able to design a CPU/GPU combo that was still massively profitable after ten years.

Cookychan

Banned
I'm sure this has probably been asked before (almost everything imaginable has been at this point), but do you think we'll get 3rd party U pads?

I seem to remember seeing leaked pictures of the dodgy plastic tennis and golf attachments for the Wiimote pretty early on? Might we get some sort of leaks from this direction?

Other than a Nintendo-Nyko one, fuck noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh hey, that's quite the question actually.

Would third-party controller manufacturer take the time to try and do their own Wii U Pad? I mean, it's quite a bit more complex than any controller.

Cookychan

Banned

Would third-party controller manufacturer take the time to try and do their own Wii U Pad? I mean, it's quite a bit more complex than any controller.

We heard that the Wii U has a sizeable piece of memory on board the controller, right? Wouldn't it be possible in some way for people to load viruses on faulty 3rd party kits?

ElTopo said:
If there's really 700 people working on it I'm not sure they can afford to ignore (the still rather big - see JD3) market of the Wii, which I guess would limit the chances for a Wii U version.
I don't think it would be a detriment. I mean, consider how many Xbox/Xbox360 multiplatform games we saw in 2005 and 2006. Who wants to have a new Disney platformer and not have a version for the new Nintendo system?

I do think we're not going to see a lot of Tablet style 3rd party controllers, but lots of wireless Classic controllers in various shapes (360 / dualshock / CCP etc).

If someone was making a 3rd party Wii U Pad I would love to see one offering an OLED variant with octagonal Circle Pad indentures.

Nibel

On October 27, 2011, Iwata stated during an investors meeting that the final specification and form will be revealed at E3 2012.

So, the final hardware will change indeed - but we knew that already, right?

tkscz

I'd say SDXC, and up to 3TB of external HDD.

While I doubt you'd even need that much memory via external HDD, SDXC support sounds right. And hell, even if it isn't right out of the box, it can still support it later. Remember, the DSi and Wii didn't originally support SDHC, that didn't come until we got a firmware update.

I addressed OoT3D in my post, look again.
16:9 was added to Pikmin so it didn't look like garbage when it was stretched. That's not an "addition" to graphics, that was a damned necessity, considering no TV made in the last 5 years is still in 4:3.

I know you did I was reiterating that it's not the same as what I'm saying. Though now I see what you want.

And it's not exaggerating. On-disc DLC is being asked to pay for something you already have. HD re-releases of Wii games is asking me to double-dip for something I technically ALREADY OWN. I'd only buy an HD re-release if they basically re-did the ENTIRE graphics engine for the Wii games included, but looking at current HD Collections hitting the market? Not gonna happen. So we'll be re-buying the same damn disc, just with the software tweaks to push it to 1080p. If there's a distinction for being asked to pay for something I technically already own, I'm not seeing it.

I understand your perspective in whole now and it seems that what I'm saying wasn't being clear either. When I think of them re-releasing these games in HD, I'm not thinking of them doing essentially what Dolphin would do and selling it for $20 or whatever. I see them improving the textures as well. It wouldn't be the "full-fledged" overhaul that OoT 3D got that you want, but it wouldn't just be what I mentioned in this paragraph either. Also when you talk about the whole VC, I'm thinking just a select few games will get that kind of update and release like the NPC series.

How would a "hybrid" hardware/software emulation work?

What's the current feeling on USB 3 support?

I'm still expecting that to be one of the areas Nintendo slips up on. I really hope they prove me wrong on that.

I recommend not knifing any potential dates in the back. You gotta learn to separate work from personal life if you're gonna have game.

That only happened once, though. I've been much better about it since then. I guess talking about killing people dead is not interesting. I gotta get some hobbies.

Top Bottom