• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

I don't kiss monkey's.

F255G.png

disap.ed

Well to help you see where I'm coming from I'm expecting the GPU to have 640 ALUs. I also expect Nintendo to continue to use clock multiples. Since we know the DSP (at least originally) is 120Mhz, then I expect the GPU to be 480Mhz which would put it at 614.4GFLOPs. So using that if I applied that to all the components I could see it like this.

DSP - 120Mhz
GPU - 480Mhz
DDR3 - 240Mhz (or 960Mhz depending on how you prefer to look at it)
CPU - 1440Mhz, 1920Mhz, or 2400Mhz
eDRAM - ? (couldn't find clock speed info)

So IF Nintendo "fine tuned it", in this scenario it would be at 600Mhz IMO and would take it to 768GFLOPs. I'd like it, but I wouldn't expect it. They're free to prove me wrong though. :)

If it really is a 28nm chip my guess would be something like this

CPU 1822,5 MHz
GPU 607,5 MHz
RAM 1215 MHz
DSP 121,5 MHz

Scaled from the Wii clockrates.

Here you are sir. Birmingham is where I am, time will be the same, don't worry.

vACEG.png

54.5 hours...21 of which will be work and 16~20 will be sleep, leaving roughly 13~17 hours of patience.

I think I can do that.

EDIT* Have just realised conference starts 1AM Japan time. Table flipping commencing...

Jackano

Curse all of you who are predicting a PAL 2013 release. At least our Wii Us will be able to play Another Code R :)

Rumored 7th december will be the Wii mess all over again, with shortages and a very tigh shedule for the second shipment a couple days before Christmas. But I think this will be the scenario again.

Stewox

Banned
Oh that old thing! :D

Why did that stop you from replying, though? :)

It sounded like my posts aren't based. It didn't stop me from replying, I was AFK.

I thouth everyone would have knew by now, that is, anyone talking about Id Software pretty much doesn't have nothing to say unless he watched all the quakecon conferences.

That's why I talked about it, I knew not all have watched the 3 hour conference.

And besides there was nothing wrong with news sites reporting about it, since it's the first time they even realized Carmak said that, it wouldn't get reported if it was known already. I know it wasn't known, but I didn't expect they would pick it up, and so widely.

There is tons of news still in the conference media simply didn't report, shacknews reported a few, but then said it's too much, well fuck, it happens once a year, what do they lose if they report it all, it's like they don't want to do the tedius work of listening and understanding is exactly the reason I think it is, slackers.

Curse all of you who are predicting a PAL 2013 release. At least our Wii Us will be able to play Another Code R :)

It's not so much predictions as one guy going "TRUST me guys, it's probably true!". Nintendo are not stupid enough to do a non-global launch. Didn't work for Sony with the Vita.

Iceblade

I've probably missed a post or two, but didn't Nintendo confirm a global launch already? At least, in all major territories I'm 90% sure they did.

I've probably missed a post or two, but didn't Nintendo confirm a global launch already? At least, in all major territories I'm 90% sure they did.

Seems as if they did.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/01/27/global-wii-u-launch-by-end-of-2012

Faced with intense scrutiny, investor pressure and the first fiscal year losses for his company in over 25 years, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata once again reiterated plans for the future. Notably that includes making sure Wii U is available globally by the 2012 holiday season.

All the silly rumours are just the rest of the world trying to make us Europeans cry salty tears.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

they said it will be available WW during Holidays 2012. but there were rumors about a possible delay in PAL due to manufacturing issues, plus NoE deniying a conf similar to the NoA one, so a lot of people is worried.

Arrg, stimey the blokey, er yer rotten scallywags. Drowse the fratch, arrghh. Stick it up yor er argh, eh rats.

Arrgh. the stench of the sea.

From Wiki the benefits of 3D stacking. At a guess these would apply to 2.5 stack as well but to a lesser degree?

Footprint – More functionality fits into a small space. This extends Moore’s Law and enables a new generation of tiny but powerful devices.

Cost – Partitioning a large chip into multiple smaller dies with 3D stacking can improve the yield and reduce the fabrication cost if individual dies are tested separately.[9][10]

Heterogeneous integration – Circuit layers can be built with different processes, or even on different types of wafers. This means that components can be optimized to a much greater degree than if they were built together on a single wafer. Moreover, components with incompatible manufacturing could be combined in a single 3D IC.[11]

Shorter interconnect – The average wire length is reduced. Common figures reported by researchers are on the order of 10-15%, but this reduction mostly applies to longer interconnect, which may affect circuit delay by a greater amount. Given that 3D wires have much higher capacitance than conventional in-die wires, circuit delay may or may not improve.

Power – Keeping a signal on-chip can reduce its power consumption by 10-100 times.[12] Shorter wires also reduce power consumption by producing less parasitic capacitance.[13] Reducing the power budget leads to less heat generation, extended battery life, and lower cost of operation.

Design – The vertical dimension adds a higher order of connectivity and offers new design possibilities.

Circuit security – The stacked structure complicates attempts to reverse engineer the circuitry. Sensitive circuits may also be divided among the layers in such a way as to obscure the function of each layer.[14]

Bandwidth – 3D integration allows large numbers of vertical vias between the layers. This allows construction of wide bandwidth buses between functional blocks in different layers. A typical example would be a processor+memory 3D stack, with the cache memory stacked on top of the processor. This arrangement allows a bus much wider than the typical 128 or 256 bits between the cache and processor.[15] Wide buses in turn alleviate the memory wall problem.[16]

So even if the U did get a tear-down, maybe no one what know what the hell they were looking at :)

I know it's been like 10 minutes since I last posted, but is anything new?

When's the conference on Thursday again?

lol

So, I'm quite excited for NSMBU now and I hope that Pikmin turns out to be just awesome.

Gamestop will be showing the conference, but on Friday 9/14. Additionally, they weren't clear as if it was gonna be during business hours for everyone or just 30-60 minutes before the stores open just for employees.

bud23

I just read a preview Wii U´s Launch Event on IGN and these guys scare me,negatively of course.

Two quotes are specially unrealistic and highly unlikely imo,

I think we’ll see a November 18 US release to capitalize on the Thanksgiving shopping week. Japan will launch that same week, but not on a Sunday. The international launches will be later – with UK hitting in 2012 and other PAL territories slipping into 2013." - Peer Schneider; Publisher, IGN.com

"If there's one thing that Nintendo can count on, it's Christmas in North America. We'll have the Wii U (and a carefully-planned shortage of units for good PR) in mid November. I think Japan will get the system a few days after North America, and Europe may just have to wait until 2013. Unlikely: Wii U is ready to ship, and we'll be bringing a few consoles back to the office next week." - Sam Claiborn; Executive Editor, IGN.com

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/11/wii-u-launch-event-what-were-expecting

Imo a 2012 worldwide launch is a sure bet but we will see. Just two days to know it.

ikioi

Banned
Can anyone explain to me why they believe the Wii U's small form factor prevents the system from say featuring a 1 teraflop GPU?

Having had a look at the Wii U's dimensions myself, it appears to have more than enough space to house and cool such a hot GPU. The system uses an external power supply, features limited external ports, and the disk drive appears to be a slimline variant. So for the most part, there's little else inside the case taking up space from the core components.

Given there's plenty of laptops on the market running CPUs and GPUs with significantly higher TDP in thiner chasis. I can't understand why this system couldn't feature more powerful hardware. Laptop PCBs tend to be quite small, as a majority of a laptop's space is taken up by HDD, ROM drive, battery, track pad, and keyboard. When you gut a laptop, even a high end one like say the HP Envy 15, the actual motherboard with the core components takes up next to no real space.

If Nintendo were to use vapor chamber cooling and heat pipes in conjunction with fans, it'd say there is more the enough space in there to cool a combined total of 150w TDP. Vaper chamer is cheap, as too are aluminium heat pipes, and both provide significant thermal disipation.

I know the Wii U wont have this kind of power, but i think it's wrong for people to be saying the Wii U's chasis simply couldn't cool a 100+ TDP system. It could, but a bit of extra coin would need to be spent on cooling sollutions and perhaps increased noise from fans.

ikioi

Banned
Let me answer your question with another question:

Can you buy a decent gaming laptop for under $300?

Of course not, but that doesn't answer the Wii U's thermal limitations.

As i said initially, i understand Nintendo gone for this sort of hardware. There's no doubt various reasons for that like price.

But i dont think the Wii U's case is a limiting factor.

The_Lump

Banned
Can anyone explain to me why they believe the Wii U's small form factor prevents the system from say featuring a 1 teraflop GPU?

Having had a look at the Wii U's dimensions myself, it appears to have more than enough space to house and cool such a hot GPU. The system uses an external power supply, features limited external ports, and the disk drive appears to be a slimline variant. So for the most part, there's little else inside the case taking up space from the core components.

Given there's plenty of laptops on the market running CPUs and GPUs with significantly higher TDP in thiner chasis. I can't understand why this system couldn't feature more powerful hardware. Laptop PCBs tend to be quite small, as a majority of a laptop's space is taken up by HDD, ROM drive, battery, track pad, and keyboard. When you gut a laptop, even a high end one like say the HP Envy 15, the actual motherboard with the core components takes up next to no real space.

If Nintendo were to use vapor chamber cooling and heat pipes in conjunction with fans, it'd say there is more the enough space in there to cool a combined total of 150w TDP. Vaper chamer is cheap, as too are aluminium heat pipes, and both provide significant thermal disipation.

I know the Wii U wont have this kind of power, but i think it's wrong for people to be saying the Wii U's chasis simply couldn't cool a 100+ TDP system. It could, but a bit of extra coin would need to be spent on cooling sollutions and perhaps increased noise from fans.

Nailed it with your last sentence. It's not that it's impossible; it's jut not Nintendo's way. And who can argue? They're hardware is very reliable and that's what matters most to them.

I'm sticking with something very similar to an e6760, with possibly a die shrink.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just realised it's Thursday evening for me and I have Friday off. So it's nicely set around my schedule.

This will be the only good thing about the conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom