• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAWi

Miiverse is more like the communication center of the OS.

I assume dashboard will be more like games, apps and the likes

Perhaps, MiiVerse is the updated version of MiiPlaza.

So, yes, it is possible that there is a real dashboard, separated from MiiVerse

Iwata said clearly that "when you'll turn ON your WiiU you will see this" referring to the Miiverse. Those icons on the Miiverse are the "apps" so it's kinda like the channels on the Wii, this time it all takes place in a plaza

nothing to do with EA ...see above.
Even so EA has the right to patch it when the times come. EA patches madden multiple times a year with very miniscule upgrades. They rather sell advertise the feature in a new madden. I wouldnt be surprised if next year EA decided to put move controls in ps3 madden as a feature knowing damn well they had the control scheme down for that type of input on Wii for years.

Hoodbury

Iwata said clearly that "when you'll turn ON your WiiU you will see this" referring to the Miiverse. Those icons on the Miiverse are the "apps" so it's kinda like the channels on the Wii, this time it all takes place in a plaza

That's what I remembered as well. Think it was from the ND that happened right before E3.

Oersted

right now spamming twitter:

Tell @NintendoAmerica that a Zero on slave-mined conflict minerals is unacceptable! #DontBeABowser #WiiU *link to pointless online-petition*

oh boy. uneducated internet activists...

AzaK

Apparently the real Wii U dashboard is now available to studios. So they will know it before the conferences of tomorrow. But it's a recent arrival, they had a placeholder until lately.

For the appearance, it seems it's a continuation of the Wii dashboard with some elements from the 3DS one. Not a revolution as some may have expected, but it's doing its job + may not be final yet. Some services are not accessible to devs, like miiverse.

I probably expected something along the lines of 3DS to be honest. The tile/channel nature of Wii/3DS will work well with a touch screen controller too. Hopefully there's a bit more "life" in it though. Friend notifications appearing, some stats etc.

so wii dasboard with folders?
Let's hope we get more than 1 letter visible on the dashboard! :p

Ooooo.
Speaking of services, I hope Nintendo officially announces Gamecube Virtual Console games or at least support for them later on.
That would actually be something of a megaton and a nice thing to mention if they don't have anything massive like GTA V etc.

Would be happy to...but I'll be at work :( I think I can get away with watching - bit texting and watching may well get me fired. Lol

Risk it for a fellow gaffer? :p Nah, I wouldn't want you getting in trouble! I'll have to catch up I guess, or pull some kind of miraculous excuse... there may be hope yet.

D-e-f-

Banned

No, those icons are the GAMES people are playing. That's the whole point of Miiverse. Those are not the "apps" / channels like the eShop or whatnot.

The "channel" interface will very likely be displayed on the GamePad while the Miiverse is on the TV and you will probably be able to switch views.

I see from the image macros that we're approaching E3 scale hype velocity...

personally, although I'm excited, the wounds from the last hype extravaganza have nary healed. I will be up at my computer at 8am instead of driving to work like I should be -- but this will be my face:

xVhNY.jpg

EARN my pre-order / day 1 sale motherfuckers!

The_Lump

Banned
Risk it for a fellow gaffer? :p Nah, I wouldn't want you getting in trouble! I'll have to catch up I guess, or pull some kind of miraculous excuse... there may be hope yet.

I'm actually very good at pretending to work whilst looking at gaf. I just need to exhale loudly or mumble "oh for fucks sake..." every few seconds so it looks like I'm doing work related stuff.

But yeah, looking at my phone will get me the 'ole stink eye from the boss :( Sorry bud!

I know the feeling though: I missed the e3 conf cos I was outside Buckingham Palace waving at the flippin Queen and watching the Red Arrows :D

Pittree

I'm totally expecting announcements from Konami, as well as Capcom and Square-Enix. I refuse to believe they couldn't even get Japanese publishers to support the system. I mean... not even some lousy ports ? Even the Wii got some ports.

I think CAPCOM announcing a game is a sure thing for the conference ,but it might be not something massive and most likely multiplatform. Konami will announce a game or two from their minor series and IMO Square is taking the infamous wait and see approach.

Shurayuki

I'm actually very good at pretending to work whilst looking at gaf. I just need to exhale loudly or mumble "oh for fucks sake..." every few seconds so it looks like I'm doing work related stuff.

But yeah, looking at my phone will get me the 'ole stink eye from the boss :( Sorry bud!

I know the feeling though: I missed the e3 conf cos I was outside Buckingham Palace waving at the flippin Queen and watching the Red Arrows :D

Lucky you-

D-e-f-

Banned
Is the NA nintendo direct and the NYC conference at the same exact time? Or are they the same event?

They are obviously the exact same event.

That runs parallel to the EU Nintendo Direct, though.

Japanese ND is 8 hours 44 minutes from now.

links to all three on the previous page

AzaK

I see from the image macros that we're approaching E3 scale hype velocity...

personally, although I'm excited, the wounds from the last hype extravaganza have nary healed. I will be up at my computer at 8am instead of driving to work like I should be -- but this will be my face:

xVhNY.jpg

EARN my pre-order / day 1 sale motherfuckers!

I think I'm with you on that one. Mildly excited by potential, interested in some stuff, but not really impressed yet.

They are obviously the exact same event.

That runs parallel to the EU Nintendo Direct, though.

Japanese ND is 8 hours 44 minutes from now.

links to all three on the previous page
With the Japanese event so far ahead of the other's, can we expect next to nothing in it so as not to spoil the NA one? Otherwise, we'll probably have most of the info we need by the end of the first one.

The_Lump

Banned
No, those icons are the GAMES people are playing. That's the whole point of Miiverse. Those are not the "apps" / channels like the eShop or whatnot.

The "channel" interface will very likely be displayed on the GamePad while the Miiverse is on the TV and you will probably be able to switch views.

I think the miiverse icons are showing who is playing the games/apps which you own. So in that sense it's effectively the channels from wii, but with chat and updates (aswell as miis) from your friends who are/have been playing that game/app

Hoodbury

So who else is secretly hoping for some more good ole Nintendoland fireworks? I hope they start the presentation with them this time. Hopefully by now even Nintendo can get the jest in it and be part of the joke now instead of being the joke.

Hoodbury

I think the miiverse icons are showing who is playing the games/apps which you own. So in that sense it's effectively the channels from wii, but with chat and updates (aswell as miis) from your friends who are/have been playing that game/app

But don't forget they were going to use miiverse as marketing as well. So you would see games on your miiverse that a lot of your 'friends' mii's are hovering around and are playing to kind of get you to want to buy it.

The_Lump

Banned
But don't forget they were going to use miiverse as marketing as well. So you would see games on your miiverse that a lot of your 'friends' mii's are hovering around and are playing to kind of get you to want to buy it.

Oh ok, must've missed that. In that case it would make sense to have a conventional channels style menu on the pad, as D-e-f said.

D-e-f-

Banned

Only games. ->

This. It's their social hub/marketing tool. It will show games played by your friends and people from your area, not just games you own! Again, that's the whole point of it. To show you what games people are actually playing so you can check out what gamers think is good and not what some ad tells you.

Miiverse has nothing to do with "apps" or channels, those are separate.

edit:
Oh ok, must've missed that. In that case it would make sense to have a conventional channels style menu on the pad, as D-e-f said.

If you need to kill time, watch the Pre-E3 Nintendo Direct again, it's all explained there :) (plus, it's still hilarious^^)

Do I still have time to be a part of this pic??? Nibel? ;_;

Nibel is asleep (I should be too ...). He's done with the image for today :)

jacksrb

No. The mii-verse is like trending games, including games you own and don't. If you look at the photos, there is a channel like button in the bottom right that would, I assume, switch to the traditional 'channels' menu layout.

Also, like another poster said, we might be able to view one or the other on the gamepad while the other is displayed on the tv.

Oersted

So who else is secretly hoping for some more good ole Nintendoland fireworks? I hope they start the presentation with them this time. Hopefully by now even Nintendo can get the jest in it and be part of the joke now instead of being the joke.

nice thought. but there is only one thing that really needs to happen:

figure1.jpg

Stulaw

I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow, not just because of the Nintendo Direct and conference, but because of peoples reactions to them. I was reading the WUST threads while I was an inactive member and it just made me want to join in.

Tehalemi

Nibel is asleep (I should be too ...). He's done with the image for today :)

I shall await his return ever patiently. :3 Would've been cool if it were a larger pic of my avatar and I'm holding all of you on my rings, but the current one is hilarious too. :D

I don't know if I should take a nap and wake up at 3am to watch the NCL Direct, or just jack hammer the F5 button till then. hmmmmm...

Love the ava too btw, public vote says you're not allowed to change it ever again! ;P <3

HAIPUU~

So much this.

D-e-f-

Banned
No. The mii-verse is like trending games, including games you own and don't. If you look at the photos, there is a channel like button in the bottom right that would, I assume, switch to the traditional 'channels' menu layout.

Also, like another poster said, we might be able to view one or the other on the gamepad while the other is displayed on the tv.

That's exactly what I said^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom