• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

majik13

What happens when you press the home button on the gamepad.

I dont think I know this yet lol

In a ME3 vid interview, tapping the home button toggled between playing on tv and playing on the gamepad. I was assuming holding down goes to the home menu. Though I read another game does off tv play through an options menu.

So who knows

Effect

Honest opinion time. Do you think because it's launch all games will have some variety of success even if they might not deserve it? So if a game has a multiplayer component one shouldn't worry to much finding matches, etc at least for the first months?

I'm not worried about Black Ops 2. However since I'm close to deciding upon ME3 this has been a concern of late.

AniHawk

Honest opinion time. Do you think because it's launch all games will have some variety of success even if they might deserve it? So if a game has a multiplayer component one shouldn't worry to much finding matches, etc at least for the first months?

I'm not worried about Black Ops 2. However since I'm close to deciding upon ME3 this has been a concern of late.
i think batman, mass effect 3, darksiders, madden, and other months-late ports will suffer. blops 2 will do okay, and asscreed 3 might do okay too. the exlusive stuff and the family-friendly stuff will be what sells though. zombi u will probably be the best among the 'hardcore' 3rd party games.

Honest opinion time. Do you think because it's launch all games will have some variety of success even if they might deserve it? So if a game has a multiplayer component one shouldn't worry to much finding matches, etc at least for the first months?

Since the budget for the Wii U ports of Batman, Mass Effect 3 & Darksiders II are very low, I would imagine if each of those games sells 200k across the board it would be considered a success for the developer/publisher. Black Ops 2 can sell whatever and it won't matter since it's going to make 1 billion dollars in revenue this holiday and Activision will see Wii U sales as just icing on the cake.

What I worry about is the ports eating into the exclusive games for Wii U. The Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends & ZombiU could all suffer if the big named games like Mass Effect and COD eat all the sales away during the holiday. The Wii U seems to have the biggest launch line-up I've ever seen and definitely the biggest in Nintendo history. Having a ton of games is a good thing, but something that developers should understand is that only so much can sell while the install base of the Wii U just begins this year.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Mass Effect 3 will suffer, which is sad, as the multiplayer is good. I'm sure plenty will buy it due to a typical launch rush, but of every game at launch it's the one with the most going against it in my opinion. But I've ranted about that ad nauseum.

AniHawk

Mass Effect 3 will suffer, which is sad, as the multiplayer is good. I'm sure plenty will buy it due to a typical launch rush, but of every game at launch it's the one with the most going against it in my opinion. But I've ranted about that ad nauseum.

they should have gotten the old republic running on there with a f2p model after the initial purchase.

i mean you'll have online rpg fans with monster hunter and dqx in the first year anyway so why not give it a shot.

i'm kinda doubting it happens, but i would love to see pso2 on the system. i would actually go out and preorder the wii u if i knew pso2 was coming, which is weird because i don't often get nostalgic for dreamcast games and stuff.

Poyunch

So two days ago I went to a Wii U Experience in LA. Got to play Pikmin 3 and Ninja Gaiden. Pikmin was definitely still Pikmin. I don't really play Ninja Gaiden but I got my ass-handed to me so it was hard for me.

The rest of the games had too long of a line. I was the next person up to try Wonderful 101 but they ended the event right before I could try. The games look like HD games, can't say anything really. The only game I really looked closely at was Wonderful 101, it at least doesn't have much aliasing. Pikmin 3 really did feel like an up-port but seeing shiny Bulborbs was enough.

The Wii U pad was longer than I thought it would be. It had enough weight that you knew there was something in your hand but it wasn't heavy. It was lighter than a water battle (at the event they had Wii U labeled water bottles).

And at the end everyone got a chocolate moustache.
XgQnw.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
New thread every ~20000 posts. So halfway :p.

they should have gotten the old republic running on there with a f2p model after the initial purchase.

i mean you'll have online rpg fans with monster hunter and dqx in the first year anyway so why not give it a shot.

Yeah see, this would make more sense than porting the final game in a trilogy padded with a back story comic. I'm sure some people will buy it, but it's a weird game to port.

PhantomR

Banned
Hmm....If I recall, the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 sold pretty well. And that was even a full year after the 360 release. So long as there is decent marketing, I think Mass Effect 3 WiiU will do okay.

D-e-f-

Banned
I don't even see the need for a extra storage right at launch (unless you're going for the Basic model). It'll take a few months until you can even fill up the 32GB.

jonno394

I've just realised that the Black Wii U looks eerily similar to my black Western Digital "MyBook" 1TB external Hard Drive - which I'll be using it with.

I have a 500gb that i use for my downloaded US tv shows. Its collected dust of late so Im gonna reformat and have sat next to my Wii U like you :)

The_Lump

Banned
I should be the perfect candidate for ME3; Never played it, fan of 3rd person action & sci fi, enjoy a good story, trailers look awesome. But for some reason it's not on my launch list.

My money is going towards NSMBU (wouldnt feel right without), ZombiU (looks like they've really tried to be inventive with the pad). I've then got AC3, Rayman, 101, Pikmin & Aliens on my wishlist. No idea why im not bothered enough for ME3. Might pick it up down the line when it's cheap.

Just hope too many others don't feel the same as I'm worried EA are going to use its sales as a yardstick...

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So two days ago I went to a Wii U Experience in LA. Got to play Pikmin 3 and Ninja Gaiden. Pikmin was definitely still Pikmin. I don't really play Ninja Gaiden but I got my ass-handed to me so it was hard for me.

The rest of the games had too long of a line. I was the next person up to try Wonderful 101 but they ended the event right before I could try. The games look like HD games, can't say anything really. The only game I really looked closely at was Wonderful 101, it at least doesn't have much aliasing. Pikmin 3 really did feel like an up-port but seeing shiny Bulborbs was enough.

The Wii U pad was longer than I thought it would be. It had enough weight that you knew there was something in your hand but it wasn't heavy. It was lighter than a water battle (at the event they had Wii U labeled water bottles).

And at the end everyone got a chocolate moustache.

XgQnw.jpg

Those were made for me, obviously :D

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

AniHawk

I should be the perfect candidate for ME3; Never played it, fan of 3rd person action & sci fi, enjoy a good story, trailers look awesome. But for some reason it's not on my launch list.

you should just get me1 if you can, pretend it has an ending that works for the entire series somehow, and then get mass effect 2: the dlc adventures.

What is the general consensus on Wii U's design? I've always though there's some personality to most of Nintendo's platforms. Even the ones that are hideous (original DS, original 3DS) still have some sort of charm that tells you what kind of platform they are.

Wii U though, just looks very 'standard', like an external HDD, or one of those machines you use to warm your shoes.

EatChildren

Hmm....If I recall, the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 sold pretty well. And that was even a full year after the 360 release. So long as there is decent marketing, I think Mass Effect 3 WiiU will do okay.

It will do okay. The series has growing brand recognition, it's a launch game and thus will attract launch title buzz from consumers eager for something new to play, ending aside the series does have pretty solid word of mouth, and there's an opening to Nintendo-only gamers to try out the series for the first time.

But, as I've said, it's a strange choice from EA. To re-release an 8+ month old game, of which is the final entry in a story driven interconnected trilogy, with absolutely no bundled bonuses or extra content. The way things are looking the Omega DLC will have released by the time the Wii U is out. That will mark the third single player story focus mission (From Ashes, Leviathan, Omega) that could have been easily bundled into the game, or even included as a free download coupon with new purchases, to market the late port as having some great value on the disk. The port seems solid enough and the pad controls are nice, but hardly anything game changing or revolutionary.

All of this is just an extension of EA's mishandling of the entire series though. I don't think anybody should feel entitled to buy this to prove to EA that ports can sell. Frankly, if this is EA testing the waters, then EA can get fucked.

Meelow

Banned
It will do okay. The series has growing brand recognition, it's a launch game and thus will attract launch title buzz from consumers eager for something new to play, ending aside the series does have pretty solid word of mouth, and there's an opening to Nintendo-only gamers to try out the series for the first time.

But, as I've said, it's a strange choice from EA. To re-release an 8+ month old game, of which is the final entry in a story driven interconnected trilogy, with absolutely no bundled bonuses or extra content. The way things are looking the Omega DLC will have released by the time the Wii U is out. That will mark the third single player story focus mission (From Ashes, Leviathan, Omega) that could have been easily bundled into the game, or even included as a free download coupon with new purchases, to market the late port as having some great value on the disk. The port seems solid enough and the pad controls are nice, but hardly anything game changing or revolutionary.

All of this is just an extension of EA's mishandling of the entire series though. I don't think anybody should feel entitled to buy this to prove to EA that ports can sell. Frankly, if this is EA testing the waters, then EA can get fucked.

I think EA better have low expectations for Mass Effect 3 Wii U, it is a launch title so it's not like it will sell millions, but yeah I agree with you EA is really strange at times. The thing that got me annoyed is they promised "huge support" at E3 2011 so if that rumor is true about Nintendo not wanting Origin and EA getting mad because they don't get there way than EA should learn they won't always get there way.

D-e-f-

Banned
That will mark the third single player story focus mission (From Ashes, Leviathan, Omega) that could have been easily bundled into the game, or even included as a free download coupon with new purchases, to market the late port as having some great value on the disk.

From Ashes is included, btw. They didn't specify what's up with Leviathan, though. Omega is probably on a different schedule in terms of certification deadlines, etc.

EatChildren

I think EA better have low expectations for Mass Effect 3 Wii U, it is a launch title so it's not like it will sell millions, but yeah I agree with you EA is really strange at times. The thing that got me annoyed is they promised "huge support" at E3 2011 so if that rumor is true about Nintendo not wanting Origin and EA getting mad because they don't get there way than EA should learn they won't always get there way.

EA's entire business policy is about getting their way. It's why so many of their recent games don't appear on Steam. Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo was restrictive of Origin. I mean, EA is entitled to do whatever they want and look out for their own interests, even if that means focusing 100% on Origin. But I don't think that business policy is going to work out for them. Or even is working out for them.

From Ashes is included, btw. They didn't specify what's up with Leviathan, though. Omega is probably on a different schedule in terms of certification deadlines, etc.

Really? That's good to hear. It damn well should be included. Leviathan really should be as well, but whatever. Thing is, even with certifications, a bundled code gives value to the package. Code for Leviathan and/or Omega included in all new copies of ME3 Wii U, in an attempt to curb used sales, and sell the product as good value.

Meelow

Banned
EA's entire business policy is about getting their way. It's why so many of their recent games don't appear on Steam. Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo was restrictive of Origin. I mean, EA is entitled to do whatever they want and look out for their own interests, even if that means focusing 100% on Origin. But I don't think that business policy is going to work out for them. Or even is working out for them.

I think that's sad, usually a company will go the way where the money is, but with EA thinking they should always get there way they don't like making the money, I would love for Dead Space 3, etc to be on Wii U but EA is going to look at Mass Effect 3 to see if they should put it on it or not and when it doesn't pass there huge expectations than yeah...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
As far as launch titles go, I expect ZombiU, Assassin's Creed, and perhaps Batman to do well. I know Batman is an old port, but it has a lot of name recognition and I could see a lot of Wii only owners picking it up.

i'm kinda doubting it happens, but i would love to see pso2 on the system. i would actually go out and preorder the wii u if i knew pso2 was coming, which is weird because i don't often get nostalgic for dreamcast games and stuff.

I think using a mmo for relieving the after launch windows draught would be very clever. Oblivion helped the 360 a lot. Nintendo should think about something similar, but with online. Since the gamecube the Nintendo platforms are especially sensitive to lack of titles at certain periods.

D-e-f-

Banned
Really? That's good to hear. It damn well should be included. Leviathan really should be as well, but whatever. Thing is, even with certifications, a bundled code gives value to the package. Code for Leviathan and/or Omega included in all new copies of ME3 Wii U, in an attempt to curb used sales, and sell the product as good value.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwk0_8zdVY
That's the general "previously released DLC included on-disc" confirmation.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...edition-on-wii-u-includes-from-ashes-extended

Detailed confirmation.

I agree that throwing in Leviathan would've been nice and smart move since the Extended Cut and multiplayer DLC packs have been free anyway and From Ashes was the quasi-free day-1 DLC.

EatChildren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwk0_8zdVY
That's the general "previously released DLC included on-disc" confirmation.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...edition-on-wii-u-includes-from-ashes-extended

Detailed confirmation.

I agree that throwing in Leviathan would've been nice and smart move since the Extended Cut and multiplayer DLC packs have been free anyway and From Ashes was the quasi-free day-1 DLC.

Specific confirmation of From Ashes is good. Because all of the other DLC (Rebellion, Resurgence, Earth, and Extended Cut) are free to everybody anyway. From Ashes, Leviathan and the Firefight Pack are the only paid-for DLC.

Sadist

As far as launch titles go, I expect ZombiU, Assassin's Creed, and perhaps Batman to do well. I know Batman is an old port, but it has a lot of name recognition and I could see a lot of Wii only owners picking it up.
After TTT 2's reveal of Nintendo constumes and a bonus Mushroom mode it wouldn't surprise me if it performed well.

Performing well: Zombi U, Assassin's Creed III, Tekken TT 2, Sonic & Sega All Star Racing Transformed, Call of Futy Black Ops II, Just Dance 4.

Performing okayish: Batman AC Armored Edition, FIFA 13, Rayman Legends, Epic Mickey 2, Sports Connection, Scribblenauts, Game Party Championships, Madden 13.

Bombing: Mass Effect 3, Darksiders 2, Transformers Prime, Marvel's The Avengers

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
After TTT 2's reveal of Nintendo constumes and a bonus Mushroom mode it wouldn't surprise me if it performed well.

Performing well: Zombi U, Assassin's Creed III, Tekken TT 2, Sonic & Sega All Star Racing Transformed, Call of Futy Black Ops II, Just Dance 4.

Performing okayish: Batman AC Armored Edition, FIFA 13, Rayman Legends, Epic Mickey 2, Sports Connection, Scribblenauts, Game Party Championships, Madden 13.

Man launch really is pretty stellar. Some of those titles would benefit from a month or two delay IMO. Lots of software is going to get lost.

Gvaz

Banned
I lost my wii (it got stolen) :(

I'll probably jump on this if it gets homebrew. That's pretty much a dealbreaker for me. Being able to load my games from the HDD is a godsend.

pramath

Banned

That looks incredibly accurate to me.

Drago

I don't know if I see Avengers bombing, I see a lot of parents buying that one for their kids just because of the Marvel name...

And I really hope Rayman and Scribblenauts do better than 'okayish' :(

Sadist

Man launch really is pretty stellar. Some of those titles would benefit from a month or two delay IMO. Lots of software is going to get lost.
Yup. At launch there will be three platformers available, allthough I'm expecting Rayman Legends receiving the short end of the stick. It will easily lose against NSMB U, but it might find more buyers compared with Epic Mickey 2. I hope.

I have no hope for Darksiders II. Maybe it will find some new consumers due to holiday madness but eh...

andthebeatgoeson

Any chance we might see hardware revisions 2-3 years down the line to make manufacturing cheaper? If so I fear for wii backwards compatibility :(
I'm ok with that. You want Wii backward compatibility? Buy within the first few years. I used my GC backward compatibility zero times. It's really for hardcore gamers, gamers who should be buying new hardware in the first 2-3 years.

Drago

Yeah, any WiiU revision will remove (somewhat minor) features, as has been the case with every Nintendo console revision. I think there was one of them that added stuff (was it NES? I dunno) but that one aside, it is always a bad idea to wait for a revision on Nintendo's console end :p

Sadist

I don't know if I see Avengers bombing, I see a lot of parents buying that one for their kids just because of the Marvel name...

And I really hope Rayman and Scribblenauts do better than 'okayish' :(
Yeah, it has the Marvel name but I suppose the Kinect version will get all the attention. I can see MS pushing it harder because holiday season is a good time to sell some Kinects.

And I'm being carefull with my Rayman prediction. Allthough Origins debut was really sucky, (it did what, 60-70k in the US?) at a discounted price people were more inclined to buy it and loved it. The same situation could happen with Legends. And Scribblenauts... wildcard. I don't know what they need to break even, but with so many titles to choose from it's going to have a hard time standing out.

You're forgetting the sleeper hit
Ben 10

jonno394

The way I look at it with Darksiders 2 is that i'll walk into Gamestation on launch day and see a brand new Wii U version for anywhere between £39.99-£49.99 and a used PS3 version will probably be selling for £20.

I was really tempted to pre-order, but i'll just get the cheaper PS3 version as and when.

Same goes for Mass Effect 3.

I wish Batman was priced more fairly. I'm playing through Arkham Asylum now, and am really considering Arkham City, but it's like 20 - 30 bucks more for the Wii-U version. (360 version can be had for 30 and PS3 version for 40, with the Wii-U version being 60)

Same with Mass Effect 3, it's 30 bucks on 360 and 60 on Wii-U. Really stupid pricing from these publishers IMHO. 10 bucks more I could swallow, but 20 - 30, get fucked.

Drago

Speaking of pricing, will NintendoLand really stay at $60?

It doesn't matter much to me since I have a coupon I can use at GS to get it for $50 but such a high price for it seems pretty crazy to me, I would think it would be better at $50 to start with

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Any chance we might see hardware revisions 2-3 years down the line to make manufacturing cheaper? If so I fear for wii backwards compatibility :(
I don't see how the Wii U will ever lose BC with the Wii. There's no extra component in the Wii U specially made for Wii BC, therefore nothing will be "thrown out" in order to reduce cost.

netBuff

Speaking of pricing, will NintendoLand really stay at $60?

It doesn't matter much to me since I have a coupon I can use at GS to get it for $50 but such a high price for it seems pretty crazy to me, I would think it would be better at $50 to start with

If you're interested in Nintendo Land, you are better off buying the Premium Pack.

Drago

If you're interested in Nintendo Land you are better of buying the Premium Pack.

Well that ship has sailed now with all the preorders for deluxe gone :p

I sorta feel it was a mistake on my part preordering basic but I'm sure in a few years from now I'll be thanking myself for not going with a black color ;)

Oersted

did i only dream that it will include the dlc content, that back story comic and a exclusive weapon thingie? it will also include the full online mode. it could have been much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom