• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
That last part is extremely subjective and is a bit of a hyperbole but i understand your point. But i myself am very confident it will not be a wii repeat

I think its fair to say the majority of that subjectivity comes from how much value you place on Ninty first party. I am pretty much excluding them as its a known quantity their games are mostly awesome when they aren't a Mario Party or other variation. Im really referring to the viability of the console to stand on its own, like how a gamer can own a ps3 or 360 and only own one of them and come out satisfied.

I will be interested to see how that plays out. Whether it goes like the Wii, or somehow manages to secure active developers who actually treat the system as something more than a spinoff machine.

What about OpenCL, though? How were the compute units being accessed in the 4xxx series ATI cards, before DirectX and long before OpenGL had access to them?

I was looking for this post and couldn't find it. Then common sense kicked in to just do a search.

ATi Stream Technology is the answer you're looking for.

TheNatural

My Member!
The big thing with launch and 'launch window' and whatever they got for September 13th is how they handle and how steady the stream of games will be.

Honestly, I think the Mario effect is running out in the US, so it's no sure thing the launch will set fire. Nintendo's gotta show that NSMBU is more than just another version of the 'New' series, and a phenomenon that can stand ground with the classics, not just another version of the series which there was a lot of tepid response to the NSMB 2 game critically.

Also, Nintendoland has to somehow hit the Wii Sports spot, and I don't think it can do that either. It seems like it will be received as a Mario Party esque proposition.

I'm not saying either game or the system will sell bad, it's a sure thing they will each hit a million and more eventually, the question is, are they going to make for a great launch window and beyond sales wise in the US?

Pineconn

Also, Nintendoland has to somehow hit the Wii Sports spot, and I don't think it can do that either. It seems like it will be received as a Mario Party esque proposition.

And it certainly won't do it if it isn't a pack-in. The ideal solution would be to pack it in with a few mini-games available, and the remaining would be purchased as DLC. That way, we get a few free mini-games and Nintendo doesn't 1) inflate the price of the Wii U SKU, or 2) waste the development cost entirely.

TheNatural

My Member!
And it certainly won't do it if it isn't a pack-in. The ideal solution would be to pack it in with a few mini-games available, and the remaining would be purchased as DLC. That way, we get a few free mini-games and Nintendo doesn't 1) inflate the price of the Wii U SKU, or 2) waste the development cost entirely.

Eh, I dunno how a demo would do really.

You're right, it won't take off as a big deal unless its a pack in. But even then, who knows?

Whoa whoa whoa... so they say the gamepad feels a bit like a toy? THANK GOD, im sick of all this adult shit around me i need a few more fun toys etc to take my mind off the nightmare that is being an "adult".

I think they mean it's light, having held one, it does feel far too light but when they add the battery it should be fine.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Hey! There is no countdown thing in the OP for the conference. How am I supposed to feel the hype without a countdown thing.

Shokio

Neo Member
6770 is a roughly 1.35Tflop GPU.

Im aware of that. It just doesn't sound very unrealistic to me because a 6770 is only a $100 GPU. A company could easily incorporate that into their system without breaking a penny.

But then again, it IS Nintendo.

Im aware of that. It just doesn't sound very unrealistic to me because a 6770 is only a $100 GPU. A company could easily incorporate that into their system without breaking a penny.

Forget price, doesnt the 6770 use as much power as a 360 does total? How is it realistic to fit something like that into a small box?

Shokio

Neo Member
And if the CPU were a 2.9Ghz POWER7, we wouldn't be hearing CPU complaints.

From a cost perspective DDR3 seems the most likely.

I agree with 32MB of eDRAM though. :p

But doesn't Nintendo like fast RAM though?

And I thought you were one of the main supporters of 2 GIGs of RAM, with 512 dedicated to the OS and multi-tasking? (Or was that Ideaman?)

So are we still talking about a 4850 or 4870?

e2sAA.jpg
.....K I now fully believe black will be available at launch. YAY

Actually, that's pretty good evidence that black WON'T be available at launch. Nintendo always makes debug units in non-retail colors. 3DS dev kits were white (and there was a layered white/black model), Wii had both green with white trim and orange with white trim, Gamecube dev kits were red, brown, green, and magenta.

Pimpbaa

They are not going to buy 6770 GPUs from AMD, they bought the license for the technology so they can modify as they see fit, choose who they want to fab it, and make future die shrinks to cut costs in later revisions of the Wii U. Like what they all did this generation.

Nibel

Actually, that's pretty good evidence that black WON'T be available at launch. Nintendo always makes debug units in non-retail colors. 3DS dev kits were white (and there was a layered white/black model), Wii had both green with white trim and orange with white trim, Gamecube dev kits were red, brown, green, and magenta.

It will be available in black at launch. I pre-ordered black at Amazon.de + played with a black Gamepad at Gamescom.

They managed to release the 3DS in two colors and they'll manage to release the Wii U in two colors.

But doesn't Nintendo like fast RAM though?

And I thought you were one of the main supporters of 2 GIGs of RAM, with 512 dedicated to the OS and multi-tasking? (Or was that Ideaman?)

So are we still talking about a 4850 or 4870?

That's where the eDRAM comes in.

I was the one to make an actual claim that it was very likely to have 2GB based on who I talked to. And having DDR3 doesn't negate it from having 2GB. It makes it more likely due to cost.

And we're talking something that, as about precise as I could guess, is between 600-800 GFLOPs though under 700 is most likely the case. On the surface that is less than the two you mention in your question. However compared to a regular 4850, the hardware utilization will be better due to a thinner API, games will be developed to one standard of hardware (i.e. They aren't developing for varying graphics cards and CPUs), and it will be more modern therefore it will be more efficient. With all those things to consider it can arguably be IMO as good as, if not better than, a 4850 that would be in a PC environment.

After all the E6760 on paper is weaker than what I'm expecting the final GPU to be, and depending on where you look it has a Vantage P score that is right there with a 4850. And that's a non-console modified, modern GPU.

Do I wish they went with more raw power? Definitely, but it's not setting up to be some waste of silicon either.

Any chance that Nintendo will unveil some announced 2013 games at the wii u conference?

Hell no, in corporate eyes that would take away from the launch hype, convince people to wait before buying their Wii U. That conference is going to be solely about the Wii U launch. Launch date, price, what's in the box, launch titles. Don't expect anything else.

Pineconn

Hell no, in corporate eyes that would take away from the launch hype, convince people to wait before buying their Wii U. That conference is going to be solely about the Wii U launch. Launch date, price, what's in the box, launch titles. Don't expect anything else.

Heads up, I'm holding you to these words. :)

Roo

I really need to know this!

Shiggy

In corporate eyes, it may not allow for launch hype to come into existence because of the current lineup. No matter what, they already said they were showing more than just launch games.

Nibel

I'm a bit confused- that Eurogamer article said absolutely nothing new and frankly said nothing that would go against the consensus in this thread for months. Why are certain posters trumpeting the article as some new, profound breakthrough that "proves" their point?

Because we love it!

MYE

Regardless of who the groups of gamers are, i think the results are the same. I expect huge success, printing money etc and then i expect a 3rd party barren wasteland and most gamers who arent loyal ninty diehards to move on to the new stuff on the other consoles.

Basically a Wii repeat. Consoles will sell, games eventually wont. I mean, I'd consider Wii a success only from a business standpoint. I mean wonderful that they sold so much and keep their IPs alive, but really the Wii is a total failure from a 'quality of a game' library perspective.

Love it when opinions are stated as irrefutable facts. Reminds me of the shitty old days at System Wars, Gamespot.

In corporate eyes, it may not allow for launch hype to come into existence because of the current lineup. No matter what, they already said they were showing more than just launch games.

When did they? To my knowledge all they said about the September 13 conference was "more about how the Wii U will change the future of gaming and entertainment." I mean, they did the same thing with the 3DS launch event - the only games they had at the event were ones in the launch window, they didn't even have the games from the previous E3 that weren't coming out for a while, like Animal Crossing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom