• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

No member war in my words, but...wasn't lherre blaming WiiU specs on another forum? probably, the surprise, due to the recent Epic's comment about the possibility (just that, BTW) to port the UE4 to the Wii U, is that Wii U is not in that list...
From which studio is lherre?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Based on his solid posting history, I have to assume lherre is hinting at Wii U with that statement- he doesn't appear to be the type to intentionally troll the thread.

kitsuneyo

It's not because there are two renderers in UE4 according to Sweeney. One that we would consider "the real" UE4 and another for mobile products. So "the real" UE4 is the one for "super powerful" platforms and the one for the mobile line is why it's super scalable.

Plus some, if not all, of that confusion has come from Rein being in sales mode.

Thanks!

Does anyone know the WiiU CPU gives cycles to the OS?

Is it will Xbox360 where it gives a percentage of cycles from each core, or is it like PS3 where a whole SPU is given to the OS?

How does being OoOE affect the OS operations?

BDGAME

A few things:

Far Cry 3 on PC isn't representative of next generation gaming, in design anyway. Fact of the matter is even these games that look gorgeous on PC are, for most part, built to be scaled to current generation platforms. It introduces design and scale limitations to the core of the project. After all, if you make your game too reliant on high end PC hardware, you may not be able to port it to the 360/PS3 at all. What we tend to see with these titles are games that can safely run and function on the 360 and PS3, and for PC we see a second coat of paint to spruce up the presentation. Sometimes that second coat of paint can be trivial, other times dramatic. But end of the day, the game itself will be exactly the same.

Now, a game built to fully take advantage of computing power of high end PC hardware? That could be something else entirely. We haven't really seen many, any of these games (Total War series probably pushes the bar higher than any other game), and won't until the next generation platforms come along. Building projects for high end hardware means more than flashy visuals. It means great scene complexity and density, arguably richer and more dynamic world interactivity, and other goodies that require complex computing power.

Take, for example, procedural destruction. We've seen some games this generation toy with the idea (eg: Red Faction: Guerilla), but the processing requirements are simply too high. Next generation it will be less of a problem, and we may see more games adopt procedural destruction and other gimmicks into design, doing so in ways that were impossible on current generation platforms either because of raw computing limitations, or RAM bottlenecks.

Where the Wii U will sit in all of this will depend on the hardware. I think sometimes people look for a cut-and-dry answer to the porting question, as if we can say "okay the Wii U is a 6/10 and the 360/PS3 are a 3/10 and the PS4/720 are an 8/10, and 6 is closer to 8 than 3 is so that means we'll get ports", but it just isn't that simple. Difficulty of porting will depend on the complexity of the games, the engines running those games, and what developers are willing to sacrifice to get the games running on weaker hardware. Some games from this generation were, with appropriate scaling, possible on the Wii. Like the Call of Duty series. Other games most definitely were not, not unless the devs took a hatchet to the design and started sacrificing big things to scale the game to weaker hardware. Assuming the engine could even run on the platform at all.

I do think we'll see titles next generation that could be scaled down to the Wii U. How far they'll need to scale will vary, but I think many games will be 'possible'. Whether or not publishers see it as worthwhile is another matter entirely. But I'm also confident we'll see plenty of games that, for whatever reasons, would be too difficult and frustrating to scale down to the Wii U, much like the Wii, where from a developer point of view too many components of the design and presentation would need to be sacrificed.

But, you know, this is all just speculation. Fact of the matter is nobody here is able to truly predict how next generation will play out, where the capabilities of the Wii U will sit relative to the other next generation systems, and what difficulties developers will have with the platform relative to processing requirements of their new games. We'll just have to wait and see.

Nice post. I can´t agree more.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If you don't know the context of my post - don't reply!

OoOE is only a problem in that current gen console games are designed for In Order CPUs (PS3/360) So porting to WiiU isnt as straightforward as it might be. Of course OoOE is an advantage overall - and thats the point of my post: The advancements in the WiiU CPU will mean games optimised for dissimilar architectures will suffer. That's a known fact and its why lazy ports won't look any better. Read the post before replying dude.

Edit: And you're correct about SMT, I thought WiiU had some more advanced version but must be mistaken, apologies.

I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo are going to be using Greenhills compiler which generates "highly optimised code". I would imagine that any issues around source code being designed around in order execution would be resolve during compilation.

I tell you what, I'd be well happy with a Dark/Demon Souls sequel on Wii-U. Even just inventory access on the controller would be awesome :)

NickMitch

E3 directly appeals to shareholders. 'Planning' a nosedive is them basically saying "we're going to make our company less valuable for X period of time". It makes no sense for a public company to play mind games with finances.

But at the same time. The 3DS sales had just started rising since the pricedrop and Nintendo were making money, finally. So in a sense there could be a point in focusing and presenting stronger confidence around the 3DS and DS branch. Because they did do a really good 3DS showcasing.

I totally agree with you that risking finances like that, if doing so, is quite irrational in common sense. But all in all, I somehow feel that it´s more probable that Nintendo is doing business more unortodox and use serious "out of the box" tactics, than totally dropping the ball with a new console. Not saying that they seems to have problem with ball juggling...

Is it will Xbox360 where it gives a percentage of cycles from each core, or is it like PS3 where a whole SPU is given to the OS?

For the Wii, the system had a separate ARM9 processor (aka "Scarlet") to handle tasks like that. It has been hinted that the Wii U may have another processor to do the same.

alfolla

Neo Member
I have only brought some pepper and salt to the thread :p

So i imagine your face when writing that statement was like:

images

Just kidding, obviously. :D

wsippel

Banned
I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo are going to be using Greenhills compiler which generates "highly optimised code". I would imagine that any issues around source code being designed around in order execution would be resolve during compilation.
Nope. Especially not for highly optimized routines as those tend to be written in assembly.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I tell you what, I'd be well happy with a Dark/Demon Souls sequel on Wii-U. Even just inventory access on the controller would be awesome :)

One of my wet dreams about wii U would be a game with that kind of atmosphere, gameplay and artstyle, with the addition of a interesting (for me ;p ) multiplayer mode that allow the gamepad player to be the master of this RPG world.
I've wrote an article about possible interesting gamepad integration, but on an italian site and I don't know if I can post it or if someone can actually read it in my own language :D

The_Lump

Banned

Ah ok, that's good info, thanks.

Edit: wsippel says no. Bad info cyberheater. Bad ;)

Still, my original point was that I've seen no reason to believe the CPU will be outdated - far from it in fact.

I can´t even post from my phone. Consider yourself lucky :p

Will we hear more about UE4 on 13th?

At best it would be just a mention IMO.

I'm fine with this extra seasoning. :)

That's a good question. We did discuss a long time ago that the main core having more cache may have something to do with the OS. But considering Nintendo won't even give clock speeds, there's no way we'll know that for certain right now.

YW. It's why I scratch my head when some bring up UE4 being on mobile products as some kind of condescending response to the notion of UE4 being on Wii U. It's a different renderer.

lherre

Accurate
Speaking more seriously I'm really interested in the bussiness model for next-gen because it's not really clear to me right now. Sorry I can't be more precise (and gave that list that is in progress) but the list has made me think about it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if ios is UE4 compatible, then technicall of course WiiU can be too. Doesn't mean ios is going to start getting PS4 ports, just that you can centralise your development tools around UE4 for all platforms - you'll still need to optimise for lower end hardware.

Either Nintendo can assist with funding to incentivise Epic to bring the engine to WiiU, or perhaps some of their key customers (ubisoft etc) pushed Epic into supporting it.

D-e-f-

Banned
LBP1s online is crappy, even if I would be fine with the floaty-jumpy. I mean someone connecting to my game mid-level and it seems like my PS3 would go fully berserk for 10-20 seconds, and lag and crap. I died several times because of that.

I really don't understand how they could release it like that.

Oh so it was always like that? I was kinda hoping I just had a bad connection or a crappy week when I tried it and online was a total mess. Did they improve it with LBP2? Do you know?

Cool new Scribblenauts video showing how the GamePad helps playing this game thanks to the virtual keyboard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8-5viOFWhA&feature=player_embedded

It also shows how you can use a zoom feature a la angry birds, without relying on multitouch.

Sweet! Beehound needs to be invincible, though!

With all those disappointments that have been since the Wii-U reveal, I believe that no matter what they do the 13th, it will blow my already blewn mind. This leads me to think: Could the E3 NintendoLand firework-fail be a planned nosedive to keep expectations as low as possible, or does Nintendo just think so different?Shadowplay or hybris?

No, that's just crazy talk.

I was just checking out the HUD thread. I wonder if it turns out with no HUD on the TV and everything on your GamePad will people soon miss having everything on one screen?

I guess you cannot get rid of somethings on screen right? Racing games needing maps or Fighting Games needing health bars - I don't see them being moved to the gamepad do you?

No I don't think moving everything off the main screen is good. At least not for all games in all cases. I would hope if the developers think it's cool to move stuff off the TV then they let you pick and choose which elements to move down. That would be the best case scenario.

tkscz

Speaking more seriously I'm really interested in the bussiness model for next-gen because it's not really clear to me right now. Sorry I can't be more precise (and gave that list that is in progress) but the list has made me think about it.

It's ok, we wouldn't want you losing your job, so be as vague as possible. Besides, guessing is half the fun here. Speaking of which, with the list still being in progress, I wonder what else could possibly be on it? I doubt the 3DS or PSV, I mean the PSV is advanced, but not to the point where it can run UE4, it can barely do UE3.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Nope. Especially not for highly optimized routines as those tend to be written in assembly.

Yes. Routines written in assembly language would have to be rewritten by the devs. But hopefully, the compiler would do a good job of converting C or C++ code, which is the majority, into highly optimised code.

mclaren777

I guess you could say I enjoyed playing the Wii U at PAX. The controls were responsive and the games looked good.

I just don't see a good reason to buy one given Nintendo's inability to make games that interest me.

The_Lump

Banned

No need to apologise, that's a lot of useful info in 30 mins and of course it's risky for you to divulge. Thanks :)

I'm no good at cryptics though, so I'm not going to try and read into this. I'll let the more intelligent people dissect that little nugget. ;)

canvee

Considering where you are posting at, and Epic's comments on the subject a few month ago, you are seriously trolling if you are not hinting at something positive. ;)

When lherre talks about surprises, what he really means is iphone 5 will run UE4 but wii u won't :p

alfolla

Neo Member

That's more than i expected to know.

I am as well. I'm wondering if there will be some over-corrections from things that happened this gen. Another thing to me is how reliant do publishers think they can be on the mobile market.

Anth0ny

While I agree with you on this specific point, Nintendo keeps information close to their chests, valuing competitive advantage secrecy more than short term stock level.

"Pay no attention to the Wii U controller we unveiled over a year before its launch."

The_Lump

Banned
I am as well. I'm wondering if there will be some over-corrections from things that happened this gen. Another thing to me is how reliant do publishers think they can be on the mobile market.

Interesting. So maybe this UE4 list is pretty full then?

If it's including mobile platforms etc that would certainly cause uncertainty as to the validity of spending big on new hardware to accommodate 'next gen' engines, which might cause a rethink on next gen business models?

Maybe you are implying that we're going to see companies being overly cautious on avoiding big budget games?

Maybe I'm pulling these guesses out of my a$$?

Well, if the premium render of UE4 runs on WiiU, will Nintendoomers kindly take their specs posts and stick them back up their arses. If I'm off the mark here though someone kick me in the bollox and shout 'pink flamingo' so I get the message.

Speaking of that website, how did a wordpress blog get 350k twitter followers :eek:

How? Through its shameless use of click-hungry trollbait (otherwise known as the 'EuroGamer tactic', after the disgraceful stunt those idiots pulled the other week). MyNintendoNews used to have a Wii U page on Facebook which autoposted from that blog, and even when article was dispelled, it still posted carefully worded links to encourage thread flame wars and trolls masquerading as 'discussion'. When the official Wii U page was made on Facebook, the guy running it lost his page - Good!! Because he had that coming. Oh, wait... Sounds like a number of gaming sites on the net. As You Were...

Tehalemi

Righto, time to catch up in here once again. The adventure begins...

I see we've transitioned to speculating Wii U's specs in relation to various spices. Well at least it's different. :p

SEE WHAT YOU HAVE WROUGHT IHERRE!!

tumblr_m4w9bwaYPo1r3ty02o1_400.gif

To be fair, I'm interested in seeing where this "pepper and salt" topic goes. Hell, down the line there's the off chance that this will lead to some constructive and educational discu-

Checking platforms supported by UE4 ;)

(some surprises there)

MGiced.gif

Off topic: Does anyone here have an extra pair of planetary sized jeans? I appear to have shat myself a few teratons just now.

OT: We know where you're coming from Iherre, no worries. Stay low bro. :D

<.<
>.>

-continues to orbit the sun-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom