• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
An hour ago I started drawing the Wii U gamepad onto a piece of paper, grabbed a 360 pad and tried to think of possible control options for Starcraft II. Initially I thought SCII would never be possible precisely because of the APM-heavy gameplay in multiplayer.

I thought up a rough concept for key binds on the touch screen and additional functions on only one side of the gamepad to free up one hand to use the touch screen at all times while the other is gripping the controller like with a normal game. this allows for a lefty mode switch of sides.

You basically use the whole touch screen for key binds and use the shoulder button and trigger to switch between selection inputs for the screen.

This would have to be tried out in practice though but in theory, I think, this should work really well. Of course not so good as to let players compete in cross-platform pro-level play but the main functionality would be there and could not be replicated on any other existing system.
I'd make half the screen for key binds and the other as a mouse tracker, rotating the analog stick selects a tech branch holding ZL/ZR highlights actions to be performed within tech branch selected.

Pineconn

Has anyone touched on the possibilities of using the game pad for art applications? I wonder if the wiiU will be able to connect to a printer...
Almost positive it won't.

EDIT: Kind of beaten.

There'll almost certainly be a Colors! U on the eShop, but the printer functionality wouldn't be necessary as long as you can export your drawings to a computer.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'd make half the screen for key binds and the other as a mouse tracker, rotating the analog stick selects a tech branch holding ZL/ZR highlights actions to be performed within tech branch selected.

The 50/50 screen might be problematic though since it's not multitouch. You would have to consciously raise all the other fingers if you use the mouse tracking. That's why I made it switch between one and the other by pressing a trigger or shoulder button

Shurayuki

An hour ago I started drawing the Wii U gamepad onto a piece of paper, grabbed a 360 pad and tried to think of possible control options for Starcraft II. Initially I thought SCII would never be possible precisely because of the APM-heavy gameplay in multiplayer.

I thought up a rough concept for key binds on the touch screen and additional functions on only one side of the gamepad to free up one hand to use the touch screen at all times while the other is gripping the controller like with a normal game. this allows for a lefty mode switch of sides.

You basically use the whole touch screen for key binds and use the shoulder button and trigger to switch between selection inputs for the screen.

This would have to be tried out in practice though but in theory, I think, this should work really well. Of course not so good as to let players compete in cross-platform pro-level play but the main functionality would be there and could not be replicated on any other existing system.

I can almost imagine it, if they wanted they could make it work, but after D3 on consoles kinda fell through will they do it. Would be a good local multiplayer game where the players can look at the Tablet and the watchers see everything unfolding on the TV.
Still feel actiony RTS like that are a bit too much though, stuff like Civ, Anno, Tropico, Paradox RTS though could see a huge lift. Will RTS be the "new FPS" this generation? That and Adventure games really suit touch control the most. (*HINT* Nintendo release Visual Novels again jeez, WiiU Detective Club m(_ _)m I'll bring this up in every WiiU thread haha)

The 50/50 screen might be problematic though since it's not multitouch. You would have to consciously raise all the other fingers if you use the mouse tracking. That's why I made it switch between one and the other by pressing a trigger or shoulder button
See, I was imagining playing with a stylus and resistive screens don't suffer from false registering like capacitive do. you can make slight contact with the screen without it assuming your trying to press it.
!I'm also assuming you're playing the game on the game pad with the TV showing the full map and zooming in on point of interest.

->

this is how you see that the bad news and/or the first new always get more attention. the 30min delay thing got heard by everyone but hardly anyone noticed that they then cleared this up and said that it refers to flagged messages.

ALL YOUR MESSAGES WILL GO THROUGH IMMEDIATELY!

There will be options to flag questionable messages which will THEN be reviewed by Nintendo staff.

Source/link?

I'm pretty down with Nintendoland. I'm not saying I'm going to play the hell out of it, although I'm sure it'll be used for some multiplayer nights with friends. But I'm down with the possible philosophy behind it. I think I read on this forum some time ago that Nintendoland is Nintendo's way to introduce casual players to the 'core' Nintendo franchises. That is in line with the idea that Nintendo wants to mold both casual and core markets together into one big army of Nintendo fans. Nintendoland, at launch, is the first step in getting casual gamers familiar with the Nintendo franchises, such as Mario, F-Zero, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etcetera.

It is also for that reason that I think bundling the game with the Wii U is an absolute must. That way, everyone buying the Wii U will play it. I'm also not opposed to the idea of bundling the Wii U with a download code for Nintendoland. That way almost everyone will know the way to Nintendo's eshop the second they play their first Wii U-game.

I hope Nintendo takes this route. Would be very smart indeed.

Shurayuki

That would have been a ,casual'-title that would have gotten my attention and made sense with the controller.
Instead: karaoke...

Don't you rag on karaoke, I think Karaoke Joysound is my most used "game" on Wii, maybe MH Tri challenges that.
I'm probably the only person in the west hoping Joysound bring over a real Karaoke game this time (last had only shitty midi samples) and they're probably guaranteed to. This Sing thing for the west though, is Singstar still a thing?

Show me some dangerous looking art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_banned_by_governments

;)

Sorry, I meant that people could be turned off by the cutesy style.

What if Nintendo does Miiverse themes for people who think that the Miiverse doesn't look 'mature' enough.

Like if the overall hub-world would have like a Metroid theme for fans of the series, or an Assasins Creed 3 theme, etc...

I think themes, especially user-made tradeable themes, would be awesome. Nintendo generally has a theme that they stick to, though. Man, this would be like the greatest company ever if they embraced user content more. :|

Actually, it'd be also cool if each game had its own Miiverse theme. That way the game you're playing has a consistent feel with the environment you're discussing it in. This sounds more like something that Nintendo might consider.

D-e-f-

Banned
I can almost imagine it, if they wanted they could make it work, but after D3 on consoles kinda fell through will they do it. Would be a good local multiplayer game where the players can look at the Tablet and the watchers see everything unfolding on the TV.
Still feel actiony RTS like that are a bit too much though, stuff like Civ, Anno, Tropico, Paradox RTS though could see a huge lift. Will RTS be the "new FPS" this generation? That and Adventure games really suit touch control the most. (*HINT* Nintendo release Visual Novels again jeez, WiiU Detective Club m(_ _)m I'll bring this up in every WiiU thread haha)

D3 on consoles didn't fall through. They've always said they were exploring the idea but are not actively developing a console version. So it's neither a lost cause nor officially going on. It might be announced any day--or not. :) (Kinda like Valve does things lol)

See, I was imagining playing with a stylus and resistive screens don't suffer from false registering like capacitive do. you can make slight contact with the screen without it assuming your trying to press it.
!I'm also assuming you're playing the game on the game pad with the TV showing the full map and zooming in on point of interest.

oh, right. stylus. lol ... totally forgot about that thing :D

Source/link?

nintendoconnect.com/2012/06/11/miiverse-moderation-used-for-flagged-users/

(full reggie interview here: http://kotaku.com/5917363/better-fr...-nintendo-answers-our-burning-wii-u-questions
that interview also contains the "friend-codes-but-different" clarification)

you write message -> automatic filter for bad words -> clean? message goes through -> community flags it -> message gets reviewed by Nintendo Ninja -> message okay? -> you live. -> message not okay? -> Nintendo Ninja right behind you.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Well, there's always that skit with the hipster and OctoG123 where interaction was immediate.
That's only if you buy the non-specific action-figure WiiU accessory.

It would be pretty damn tight if Nintendoland theme changed on special days like halloween and holidays..Instead of particles it starts snowing everywhere, and christmas lights and trees all over the place. Halloween would have jackolatetns and stuff. But none of this would work if it wasnt a pack in because then itll be limited to who has it instead of the whole WiiU/Miiverse/Nintendoland community.

Is it worth it buying a super cheap Classic Controller now? Will it work with all games on the WiiU, or are there extra buttons on the new Pro? I know there's probably L3 & R3 :\

D-e-f-

Banned
Is it worth it buying a super cheap Classic Controller now? Will it work with all games on the WiiU, or are there extra buttons on the new Pro? I know there's probably L3 & R3 :\

It will not work with ANY Wii U game as a primary input. Maybe for some multiplayer stuff if you're lucky. It will be compatible but it's not clear if that means only for Wii games or if you can use them for multiplayer Wii U titles that don't use L3/R3. I highly doubt that, though.

Sheroking

It will not work with ANY Wii U game as a primary input. Maybe for some multiplayer stuff if you're lucky.

I would bet quite a bit of money that are wrong about that, especially with games like Black Ops 2 and Assassin's Creed 3.

Nintendo didn't specify them as multiplayer controllers, they flat out said they were for gamers who prefered a more classic gaming experience with certain third party games.

daakusedo

I've got some nostalgia for the Naruto GNT games and was searching for the last one on wii but found it was only released in Japan and more problematic really expansive when it's not out of stock. It is from 2010, quite long for a naruto game.
So it woul be great to have a successor to the serie on wiiu, seems the mechanics were changed with the last game and takara tomy would be forced to upgrade the engine now...

D-e-f-

Banned
I would bet quite a bit of money that are wrong about that, especially with games like Black Ops 2 and Assassin's Creed 3.

Nintendo didn't specify them as multiplayer controllers, they flat out said they were for gamers who prefered a more classic gaming experience with certain third party games.

You are talking about the Wii U Pro Controllers.

ScreenSplitter and I are talking about Wii Classic Controllers.

Should have dumped the Analog video out and save some money.

While new buyers universally get HD TVs, a substantial portion of potential customers still have old television sets. I still do, and one of my two local gaming buddies does. Heck, I bought him a VGA to A/V converter box for his birthday last month, in fact!

VAPitts

It will not work with ANY Wii U game as a primary input. Maybe for some multiplayer stuff if you're lucky. It will be compatible but it's not clear if that means only for Wii games or if you can use them for multiplayer Wii U titles that don't use L3/R3. I highly doubt that, though.

ok did i miss something or is this a Gaf exclusive rumor? lol who said that this stuff won't work on other games?

Hes talking about Wii cc not WiiU Pro Controller

like the PS3 ran PS2 games in HD?

Hell, at least the WiiU runs Wii games.

Eh, I guessed as much. I'll still be able to use it for Virtual Console games, particularly the Gamecube ones . Seems better than buying the Wii U Classic Controller which will undoubtedly add the price of a game onto launch day monies spending.

D-e-f-

Banned
ok did i miss something or is this a Gaf exclusive rumor? lol who said that this stuff won't work on other games?

Wii Classic Controller, not Wii U Pro Controller!

The CC for Wii lack functionality (2 buttons) and unless they are explicitly supported by the game in question, you can safely assume that they will not work with Wii U games. Common sense, is all.

these:
pro-vs-classicsdono.jpg

Wii Classic Controller (top) / Classic Controller Pro (bottom)

not this one
wii_u_pro_controller3lqnf.jpg

Wii U Pro Controller

VAPitts

Wii Classic Controller, not Wii U Pro Controller!

The CC for Wii lack functionality (2 buttons) and unless they are explicitly supported by the game in question, you can safely assume that they will not work with Wii U games. Common sense, is all.

u should follow that advice yourself buddy. again, where was it said that this would be the case that CC won't work with current Wii U games? if it happens ok, life goes on (at least with some of us anyway by the way your going on and on about it) but i'm not gonna listen to assumption, especially from some of you people.

D-e-f-

Banned
u should follow that advice yourself buddy. again, where was it said that this would be the case that CC won't work with current Wii U games? if it happens ok, life goes on (at least with some of us anyway by the way your going on and on about it) but i'm not gonna listen to assumption, especially from some of you people.

I don't see how you can assume they will work unless clearly supported by the devs when they lack two inputs?

Doesn't make any sense to me. Of course I'm speculating but there isn't really much room for different interpretations.

D-e-f-

Banned
So it'll pretty much be like YouTube comments?

see here:

nintendoconnect.com/2012/06/11/miiverse-moderation-used-for-flagged-users/

(full reggie interview here: http://kotaku.com/5917363/better-fr...-nintendo-answers-our-burning-wii-u-questions
that interview also contains the "friend-codes-but-different" clarification)

you write message -> automatic filter for bad words -> clean? message goes through -> community flags it -> message gets reviewed by Nintendo Ninja -> message okay? -> you live. -> message not okay? -> Nintendo Ninja right behind you.

coldfoot

Banned
Exactly. I would have to buy something because they want to save money. It would be like Sony's fucking Memory Cards for PSV, except less ridiculously priced.
People with HDTV's vastly outnumber people without HDTV's and it'll be even more skewed as time goes on. This move would be good for Nintendo's finances, which aren't doing too hot. I hope PS4/720 do the same thing.

VAPitts

I don't see how you can assume they will work unless clearly supported by the devs when they lack two inputs?

Doesn't make any sense to me. Of course I'm speculating but there isn't really much room for different interpretations.

what does inputs have to do with anything?

D-e-f-

Banned
what does inputs have to do with anything?

err ... because they're buttons? for a video game they are kind of important?

Classic Controllers don't have clickable sticks. For something like Call of Duty and tons of other games those are very important. They're missing two buttons that are now unique to the GamePad and Pro Controller. That's all we've been talking about in these last posts.

Inputs = buttons.

I'm pretty sure the clicky sticks would also be used on some games.

Wii Classic and Classic Pro = Wii games and games with little buttons.

Wii U CC = Blops 2

Blades64

Banned
How much would they really save by leaving out analog ? Probably not much. On the contrary they would drive potential customers away, which might cost them more than what they saved.

In Germany it took quite a while for HD TV to become accepted/widespread. Not sure about how many people have HD TVs around here, currently looking for some. That said, even 10% not having HD TV would be too much to leave out analog.

HDTV isn't standard in my country (Belize) at all. People would be surprised how many don't have HDTVs.

VAPitts

err ... because they're buttons? for a video game they are kind of important?

Classic Controllers don't have clickable sticks. For something like Call of Duty and tons of other games those are very important. They're missing two buttons that are now unique to the GamePad and Pro Controller. That's all we've been talking about in these last posts.

omg, seriously dude? i don't want to even hear your crappy reasoning. now it just sounds like your saying: "i'm not gonna play Call of Duty with the Wii CC or CC Pro."

Inputs = buttons.

I'm pretty sure the clicky sticks would also be used on some games.

Wii Classic and Classic Pro = Wii games and games with little buttons.

Wii U CC = Blops 2

what are you his Yesman?

D-e-f-

Banned
omg, seriously dude? i don't want to even hear your crappy reasoning. now it just sounds like your saying: "i'm not gonna play Call of Duty with the Wii CC or CC Pro."

what are you his Yesman?

Now I'm curious. Can you explain how you would play a game that requires 12 (4 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons/triggers, start & select, left stick click & right stick click) buttons instead of 10 on a Classic Controller (4 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons/triggers, start & select)?

I honestly don't get why you're so adamant about this being nonsense unless you're just pulling my leg.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Has anyone touched on the possibilities of using the game pad for art applications? I wonder if the wiiU will be able to connect to a printer...
Almost positive it won't.

Exclusive info
fake huh, of course ! :D
the Wii U printer !

sorry, i couldn't resist

I think he's just saying that if a game is made for the Wii U Gamepad or Wii U Pro Controller, and if the game uses stick buttons, then the Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro won't be able to fully control the game unless the software was specifically made to recognize the older controller and assign buttons differently to it.

VAPitts

Now I'm curious. Can you explain how you would play a game that requires 12 (4 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons/triggers, start & select, left stick click & right stick click) buttons instead of 10 on a Classic Controller (4 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons/triggers, start & select)?

I honestly don't get why you're so adamant about this being nonsense unless you're just pulling my leg.

i'm adamant? dude you're basically starting a fire because the CC controllers don't have clickable sticks. the same whining and crying that went on that made Nintendo change the default Wii U controllers (primarily the Gamepad because we knew nothing of the Pro Controller at the time) to have clickable sticks. but you're right, why am i even responding to you. it's obvious you didn't get enough attention when you were a child

in the meantime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAiZmpwtkqw

D-e-f-

Banned
i'm adamant? dude you're basically starting a fire because the CC controllers don't have clickable sticks. the same whining and crying that went on that made Nintendo change the default Wii U controllers (primarily the Gamepad because we knew nothing of the Pro Controller at the time) to have clickable sticks. but you're right, why am i even responding to you. it's obvious you didn't get enough attention when you were a child

in the meantime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAiZmpwtkqw

Err... yea okay, I'll get out of this conversation then. This will only lead to bad things ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom