• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U update live. Nintendo loves us again.

BD1

Banned
I seriously think this update fucked up my system. Things seem LONGER, the disc drive spins for no reason and I actually got a "starting software" waiting screen before going into the normal lifetime waiting screen for the System Menu.

Ugh, Nintendo. You disappoint me so much.

I seriously think this update fucked up my system. Things seem LONGER, the disc drive spins for no reason and I actually got a "starting software" waiting screen before going into the normal lifetime waiting screen for the System Menu.

Do you use your Wii U regularly? Or is this the first time you've touched it in months. Either way, this is why it's important not to take anyone at their word and use a stop watch and time it ;)

Just downloaded Rayman Challenge app while playing Assassin's Creed 3. It downloaded and installed itself all in the background and was waiting for me when i exited out of the game.

System settings takes longer to launch than a game, which is disappointing. But the apps/demos/eShop games all appear very quickly on the menu.

rpmurphy

The disc drive used to spin all the time if you have a disc inserted. Now it stops whenever you start an app (except for the ones on the main bar when the background is the Home menu). It starts spinning back up when you go back to the Home menu.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone else is having trouble launching software from disc after the update. I only have one game on disc so it's hard to test what exactly is causing a problem, but it definitely worked in the past. Playing a Wii game in Wii mode still works fine, but Nintendoland won't load.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anyone else get this around 80%?

Had me worried but went through fine in the end.

img20130426031146.jpg

Yes. System restarted and installed the Game Pad update with no issues after that though. Completed and system is working fine now.

BD1

Banned
Do you use your Wii U regularly? Or is this the first time you've touched it in months. Either way, this is why it's important not to take anyone at their word and use a stop watch and time it ;)

I've been playing it pretty much every day the last two weeks trying to grab all the star medals in NSMBU. I dunno, maybe I am crazy. It's late.

Okay, so it's much faster but I've had two instances of the console locking up entering games so far. Luckily, neither has required an unplug - holding down the power button has been enough, but still...

We should go back to the old thread where the update was announced. A GOOD number of people kept saying they didn't believe Nintendo could make any improvements

Korezo

Still slow, launching settings, mii verse, and friends list still very slow. I can't even notice the speed improvement because even if it was improved its still bad.

Does the standby download thing only work for games and system updates and not game and app updates? I had an update downloading in the background for the youtube app, and when I press the power button, it just goes to red LED like normal.

Kunan

Opening and closing NSMBU was a massive night and day difference. Closing was snappy and the load screen was only there long enough to start the jingle.

Still slow, launching settings, mii verse, and friends list still very slow. I can't even notice the speed improvement because even if it was improved its still bad.
They sped up games. The rest is coming in the summer update, I believe.

Shahadan

I don't notice a big difference, then again I was pretty lucky with mine, it wasn't that slow compared to some others I've seen

Kyou

Monster Hunter loads freaky fast now

it doesnt even get through the trumpet noise you get when you launch the game before it's loaded

rpmurphy

Does the standby download thing only work for games and system updates and not game and app updates? I had an update downloading in the background for the youtube app, and when I press the power button, it just goes to red LED like normal.
It does. When you power down the system, the LED goes to red initially but then it switches to orange.

It does. When you power down the system, the LED goes to red initially but then it switches to orange.

Just turned it back on and it's not only downloaded, but also installed. But my Sonic Transformed update which I never bothered to install is now saying it has an error and only partially downloaded. Huh.

Also, is it me, or does the Wii U start up sound have a little extra to it now?

Erethian

I wonder about the limited RGB thing (I think that's what it was called) that Eurogamer mentioned at launch... if that changed or not.

I can't notice it cause I usually have the color high on my TV, but for those kinds of analysis it would be nice.

You wouldn't notice it on a TV because they're genrally designed to use limited RGB. It's using a monitor where it becomes an issue, because they're designed for full RGB.

Ya sure? That gamexplain video shows dramatically improved times for the friends list and Miiverse, though they don't try the Settings menu.

Settings menu is still slow. Not that it's much of an issue because of how infrequently you need to go into it. And I expect the summer update will be an overall speed improvement as they optimize the OS further, much like they've been doing with the 3DS.

The games seem to load much faster out of the OS, everything else is faster too. The screen resizing is a god send. My TV has some permanent horizontal scan lines on it and resizing the picture actually makes them disappear for my Wii U.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Interesting note: you can now COPY files, not just MOVE them.

Yes, you can now backup your saves.

Pikma

Banned
"Software downloaded from the Nintendo eShop will include released updates and will no longer need to be updated after installation"

You read, PSN?!

Have our Wii U connected with a USB LAN adapter, and it took about 20 minutes to download the update.

anyone else????

im at a college dorm where wi-fi is not possible on video game consoles.

Are you saying you can't connect using a LAN adapter now, AFTER the update? What are you trying specifically? I have tried the eShop, Internet Browser, Netflix, and Miiverse. All loaded without any issues.

Neff

The disc drive used to spin all the time if you have a disc inserted. Now it stops whenever you start an app (except for the ones on the main bar when the background is the Home menu). It starts spinning back up when you go back to the Home menu.

This is a killer feature, even though it shouldn't be. I really didn't enjoy having to get up and physically eject my disc to preserve hardware life expectancy every time I browsed Miiverse, which is a lot.

And fuck, I can do that on PC now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Update is nice. Things definitely feel faster than before. A lot of transitions are still unacceptably slow, but this update gives me faith for the summer update.

Also, very glad to have the screen resizing option. I can't believe this wasn't present at launch. I had to take it down two notches to get the screen to fit on my TV.

This is a killer feature, even though it shouldn't be. I really didn't enjoy having to get up and physically eject my disc to preserve hardware life expectancy every time I browsed Miiverse, which is a lot.

And fuck, I can do that on PC now.

Not sure if it spins with Miiverse use, but it did still spin with the Internet Browser, but not with the Netflix app.

Have our Wii U connected with a USB LAN adapter, and it took about 20 minutes to download the update.

Are you saying you can't connect using a LAN adapter now, AFTER the update? What are you trying specifically? I have tried the eShop, Internet Browser, Netflix, and Miiverse. All loaded without any issues.

the LAN adpater is NOT working for me after the update has been completed...

i can't even set up my internet in the settings. I keep getting an error message.

everything that requires an internet connection doesn't work...

i'll try again in the morning i suppose.

Top Bottom