• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U update points to Miiverse's closure. What's your top in-game implementation?

rudger

The Demon's Souls of social networks!

It was sad playing Splatoon the week Iwata died. Though a little bittersweet knowing he had so many fans. Shame his empathy network never caught on.

I enjoyed the handful of posts I made, but wish they had made it snappier over time. I really have no interest in posting to facebook or twitter...I don't even have nor want accounts.

Sakura

Miiverse was my favourite thing about the Wii U. Talked to lots of people on there. Loved the Splatoon implementation.
I have this image saved for some reason.
ICSeuAW.jpg

I received my one and only warning because of this. Drawing poo is a no no.

I also received my only warning in Miiverse Sketch.

The word was joystick. So I decided to try to see if I could get away with drawing a pair of pants with an arrow to the crotch.

Eldainorn

I am glad that at least Splatoon 2 is doing something in this manner. Although the first thing I saw when I booted Splatoon 2 for the splatfest last week was a post saying: "Splatoon is gay". :(

Enforced

I was expecting Nintendo to bring back the bottle messages in zelda botw. Shame they didn't add the feature for it. I really like it in wind waker.

kunonabi

Looks like my quest to 100% every wii u game wont be fully documented. Of couse without miiverse ill have no chance of 100% star fox guard or pokken anyway.

13ruce

Banned
It won't close down till 3DS support is stopped. So it will be there for 2-3 more years atleast it's also a huge part of some games online functions wise (Mario Maker) so maybe even 5 years or more. PS3 and Xbox 360 still have online functions up too.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Miiverse feels like an incredibly Iwata thing. When it is gone, it feels like another part of Iwata will be gone from Nintendo. Even sadder that it's not something which can be easily archived (unless Nintendo does archive it in a read-only format to avoid breaking game compatibility).

khaaan

Miiverse was the best thing about the Wii U. They ruined it a bit when they changed how it worked and then they broke my heart by not even having it on the Switch. How is Splatoon 2 compensating?

woopWOOP

Damn

It'll probably take awhile for it to actually close, but it makes me sad that at some point in the future those WiiU games will be pretty barren.

I'm also gonna have to go through my follow list and save some of those incredible miiverse sketches through PC. There's one that has like 100+ Earthbound/Mother doodles in this Peanuts kind of style and they're all adorable.

Hubble

So why is this feature being removed??? Is there a replacement?? Seems very shitty for Nintendo to remove a cool feature without a newer feature.

L95

So why is this feature being removed??? Is there a replacement?? Seems very shitty for Nintendo to remove a cool feature without a newer feature.
It's going to be removed, I presume, because Nintendo no longer wishes to maintain the back end and moderation staff for it

I liked the idea of Miiverse, but the Wii U's slowness kept me from using it as much as I would have liked.
Wind Waker and Splatoon were the only ones I used much.

Yeah but now they get exposure. They have essentially forced us to advertise for them if you want to share a screenshot with anyone. Which is a pretty good business move really.
I understand the thought behind it but for myself and others, well we'd rather just not share anything at all.

(In fact with Miiverse, you could still share your screenshots to social media via the web version.)

It's a shame Nintendo doesn't have a framework that devs can use which let users draw stuff - Splatoon 2's drawing feature is basically built directly into the game rather than some system-level thing which gets called up like Miiverse.

As a result drawing doesn't actually feel very good in Splatoon 2, it's 30fps instead of 60, so it feels high latency, and the buttons and tools that you can work aren't as responsive.

Regiruler

Oh dear, I just remembered this means I need to finish documenting unlocking every W101 character. I think I was at 9 out of 15.

But Vorken

EUGH

BiggNife

Love this idea for a topic. Great example in the OP also, I hadn't gotten that far in the game. That's really clever!

Edit: just for fun....

BoQzLqdCYAAtmkJ.jpg:large

original.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Honestly I would love for some news outlet to have an interview with MARIO WiiU before Miiverse closes. Beyond the water thing, that dude has posted in the Miiverse hub for pretty much every game that has one.

As for Miiverse itself, it's kind of a bummer because it was a super cool idea that Nintendo never really utilized well outside of Splatoon and the Smash Bros. stage.

LAA

That's very disappointing. Hope it won't die on 3DS too.
Why are they closing the best things about the system? :(
Wish they'd bring it to Switch but probably won't.

Neiteio

My friends and I were playing Smash on the Miiverse stage, and there was a picture in the background of Ryu with penis-hands, ejaculating a hadoken jizz-bomb into a crudely-drawn vagina.

Miiverse is the best. I know it competed with social media and "preached to the choir" since only people who already had the system would see the postings... but still.

iirc Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones, had a message system like Dark Souls tied to Miiverse too.

I'm on my phone so I can't post me of my Miiverse posts and some replies I got on Splatoon and other games.

I miss Miiverse already on the Switch.

Hylian7

Back when Miiverse was announced, I had hoped there would be a port of F-Zero GX that included it, so this exchange could be possible:

"You just lost Chapter 6 to Black Shadow again. Tell us in one word how you feel."

"MEGACOCK"

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Miiverse was an extremely diverse community of people all connected by the passion for gaming. It was also an outlet of personal creativity and all sorts of emotions. I loved (and still do) just browsing through my input stream for beautiful/minimalistic art pieces, cheeky topics, or just getting informed on new titles. As somebody already said, that was such an Iwata thing, and the Miiverse void is strongly felt on the switch.

loved miiverse with Splatoon. the art , the memes and even news could be found on the plaza.
sad to see it go from the wii-u

One of the best things about Splatoon was all of the Miiverse squid crossover meme posts. Especially those with SpongeBob references.

Still a bit bummed they didn't bring Miiverse to the Switch (especially so given that the device still has yet to have any of the social media apps that Nintendo said would serve as a replacement).

i-Jest

End of an Era, but at least we still have the 3DS version to get weekly My Nintendo Platinum Coins going forward.

One of the cool things I remember about Miiverse in the early days was it being used for feedback on some topics in spite of it being a closed bubble away from Facebook and Twitter - anyone remember the 50hz rage about the extremely cheap monthly virtual console celebration games, and how that convinced NoE to change their mind?

-shadow-

One of the cool things I remember about Miiverse in the early days was it being used for feedback on some topics in spite of it being a closed bubble away from Facebook and Twitter - anyone remember the 50hz rage about the extremely cheap monthly virtual console celebration games, and how that convinced NoE to change their mind?
And the region free campaign?

zlCfzRBwqfIi_SuaMb

the missing r still annoys me off all these years later :(

Top Bottom