• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii's Virtual Console Lineup Revealed

TheGreatDave said:
If you're cool with stealing, I guess.

It's not like there's even the "They're out of print, nobody is losing money!" excuse any more.

That really depends on what turns up on the service, though.

AntMurda said:
Someone explain to me what the hell is the point of releasing SNES Street Fighter 2. Can't Capcom just do the arcade version. Plus, why would anyone pay for an offline street fighter 2 now.

Because it's quick and easy and will make money?

Grecco

Its not too pretty now. But with stuff like this
possible in the future theres a glimmer of hope

startropicsa.jpg

Idontknow

There are 4 out of the 32 wii games that are suppose to be out within the first five weeks of launch missing from the list of games Nintendo put out. Plus, there is 1 VC game missing from the list. What are they?

What happened here? Typo?

Nintendo PR Japan

PC Engine (TG-16, 600 points)
Bonk's Adventure (Hudson)
Necromancer (Hudson)
Super Star Soldier (Hudson)
New Adventure Island (Hudson)
Dungeon Explorer (Hudson)
Battle Lode Runner (Hudson)
Victory Run (Hudson)
Bomberman '94 (Hudson)

Hudson PR U.S., Titles for Japan

Japan:

Initial titles include:
Adventure Island,
Bonk's Adventure,
Super Star Soldier,
Victory Run,
Bomberman 94,
Dungeon Explorer,
Necromancer

http://www.hudsonentertainment.com/newsdetail.php?news_id=68

Seems like Ristar could be missing the US launch? I only see it on the JP list, but I thought it was one of the titles on the leaked ESRB list a while back.

Guess that just means more time with Gunstar :).

Banned
argon said:
Why do I get the feeling I won't be playing Zelda: Majora's Mask on the Wii for a very, very long time?

This is THE game I want to get on VC. Out of that list, Toe Jam & Earl will be mine, as will SNES F Zero.

What the hell? Why is there a difference between the US and Japanese lists?! I can't think of ONE GOOD REASON why the hell they're not releasing the same, english language games on the american VC. There really is no excuse.

And I shudder when I think about how gimped the euro list will be......

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
FoxHimself said:
What the hell? Why is there a difference between the US and Japanese lists?! I can't think of ONE GOOD REASON why the hell they're not releasing the same, english language games on the american VC. There really is no excuse.

And I shudder when I think about how gimped the euro list will be......

Euro list....

We don't mind.

If I wanted to play Donkey Kong AGAIN I'd just play it on GBA, or with the e-reader, or in ANIMAL ****ING CROSSING.

Now that I think about it, almost every single of these NES games are in Animal Crossing. I guess that's because Nintendo couldn't be assed to emulate some new games, and just used some ancient code.

Amir0x

Banned
hahaha.

I hope that if Nintendo makes nothing else special for the Virtual Console/Wii Shop... that it will be Tetris Attack in 480p with online play. I will buy that for 8000 VC points, Nintendo!

Unison

Why can't there be online built into these games? The GBA NES emulator used for the NES Classics series had wireless gameplay built into it. Surely it's possible.

Taichu

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. Super Mario Picross for VC! That better hit America, or there had better be a way to download Japanese VC games.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Taichu said:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. Super Mario Picross for VC! That better hit America, or there had better be a way to download Japanese VC games.

I seriously doubt Nintendo would bother with new localizations. I also seriously doubt the ability to download VC content from other regions.

I know, it sucks :/

cvxfreak

I don't get why the N64 is getting the shaft here. It was the least popular Nintendo system and so I'd assume FC and SFC people who never made it to Nintendo's 3D systems would want to try those games first, especially in Japan. ::shrugs::

Maridia

Where do you buy used games for so cheap? The only retailer in used classic games in my area is Slackers, as far as I know, and their pricing is considerably higher than this on most titles (16-bit and on, never really looked for 8-bit titles)

Amir0x

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I don't get why the N64 is getting the shaft here. It was the least popular Nintendo system and so I'd assume FC and SFC people who never made it to Nintendo's 3D systems would want to try those games first, especially in Japan. ::shrugs::

topnav_nintendo25_off.png

Jonnyram said:
Your absent friend doesn't know that Puyo Puyo = Dr.Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, apparently.

It's not really the exact same game. Japan might be getting a "pure" Puyo Puyo, and the US is getting the AoStH-themed version with different graphics and sounds.

linsivvi

People disappointed with the US VC launch list need to remember that the US launch is a couple weeks earlier than Japan. By the time Wii launches in Japan, those games might be added to the US VC lineup already.

cvxfreak said:

Probably because N64 games are more "modern" and some of the N64 games can still sell a lot of copies on the VC, so they are saving them for a later time.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
I don't think there's anywhere near as many N64 titles, plus they're a lot bigger in size, so they'd fill up the internal storage pretty quickly if they released a lot at the start.

john tv

So Genesis games are 600 yen (about $5) in Japan but $8 in America?

DEAR SEGA,

YOU GOT SOME SPLAININ' TO DO

RICKY

Cheesemeister said:
Looking for this? :D

picross.jpg

* looks on post right above and compares to above image *

You sir are very quick on the draw.

While on the topic of S. Fam. updates, I hope Wrecking Crew '98 also shows up.

STUPID FORUM BACK UP SYSTEM
Has Europe's been posted?
Seems same as USA
t November 2006 - Wii will launch with a bang this winter alongside a selection of 27 fantastic Wii games that will have gamers and non-gamers waving their Wii Remote with joy.

There will be a selection of games for everyone ranging from the brilliant Wii Sports to fan favourites like The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Wii launches in Europe on 8th December 2006 alongside great first party titles including Wii Sports (a collection of five different Wii Sports games on one disc) included with every Wii purchased, Wii Play - the perfect game to experience and enjoy the amazing abilities of the Wii Remote and The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Third party support is equally strong with Need For Speed Carbon (EA) and Red Steel (Ubisoft) making their debut on the Wii console, alongside Call Of Duty 3 (Activision) and Rayman Raving Rabbids (Ubisoft).

In addition, there will be 31 Virtual Console games available in December 2006, including 16 Nintendo titles such as Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda and the hugely popular Super Mario 64, 5 Turbografx (PC Engine) games including Bomberman’93 and Super Star Soldier and 10 classic SEGA MEGA DRIVE games including Sonic the Hedgehog, Altered Beast and Gunstar Heroes. New Virtual Console titles will be added in 2007 and beyond, creating a constantly growing library of games.

Following the console launch, fans can enjoy WarioWare: Smooth Moves in January 2007 and Excite Truck in February 2007 plus a whole host of third party games.

Nintendo Wii Hardware and Software Release Date
Q4 2006
Wii Sports Bundle
(Including the Wii console and Wii Sports - Tennis, Golf, Boxing, Baseball and Bowling) 8th Dec 2006
The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess 8th Dec 2006
Wii Play (including Wii Remote) 8th Dec 2006
Call of Duty® 3 (Activision) 8th Dec 2006
MarvelTM: Ultimate AllianceTM (Activision) 8th Dec 2006
Tony Hawk's Downhill JamTM(Activision) 8th Dec 2006
Madden NFL 07 (EA) 8th Dec 2006
Need For SpeedTM Carbon (EA) 8th Dec 2006
Happy FeetTM (Midway Games) 8th Dec 2006
Rampage: Total Destruction (Midway Games) 8th Dec 2006
Super Monkey BallTM: Banana Blitz (Sega) 8th Dec 2006
Gottlieb Pinball Classics (System 3) 8th Dec 2006
Super Fruit Fall (System 3) 8th Dec 2006
Disney/ Pixar Cars (THQ) 8th Dec 2006
Barnyard (THQ) 8th Dec 2006
Spongebob Squarepants: Creature from the Krusty Krab (THQ) 8th Dec 2006
Blazing AngelsTM Squadrons of WW II (Ubisoft) 8th Dec 2006
Far Cry Vengeance (Ubisoft) 8th Dec 2006
GT Pro Series (Ubisoft) 8th Dec 2006
Monster 4x4 World Circuit (Ubisoft) 8th Dec 2006
Open SeasonTM (Ubisoft) 8th Dec 2006
Rayman Raving RabbidsTM (Ubisoft) 8th Dec 2006
Red SteelTM (Ubisoft) 8th Dec 2006
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent (Ubisoft) 8th Dec 2006
Impossible Mission (System 3) Dec 2006
Leaderboard Golf (System 3) Dec 2006
Tennis Masters (System 3) Dec 2006
1st November 2006 - For the last 20 years Nintendo has led the gaming industry, launching hundreds of breathtaking and genre defining games. Now for the first time Wii will let you explore the roots of some of the greatest franchises of all time as Nintendo and other third parties make their back catalogues available for download to Wii’s Virtual Console.

Using the Wii’s unique ‘Channel System’ users will be able to access the console’s Wii Shop Channel to download Virtual Console games. Once selected these games will be saved to your Wii’s internal flash memory and added to the console’s Channel menu allowing them to be easily accessed at any time. In Europe 31 Virtual Console games will be available in December, including 16 Nintendo titles, 5 Turbografx (PC Engine) games and 10 classic SEGA MEGA DRIVE games. New Virtual Console titles will be added in 2007 and beyond, creating a constantly growing library of games.

Nintendo’s first party offerings will have fans of all ages jumping for joy thanks to a collection of some of the greatest offerings seen on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), Super Nintendo (SNES) and Nintendo 64 (N64). Included in the offering are: Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda and the hugely popular Super Mario 64.

SEGA and Hudson have an equally impressive offering of nostalgic goodness for the avid gamer. SEGA is releasing Sonic the Hedgehog , Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes, Ecco the Dolphin and much more from the much loved SEGA MEGA DRIVE. Hudson will dazzle fans with hugely popular games from Turbografx (PC Engine) including Bomberman’93 and Super Star Soldier.

Wii owners can download Virtual Console games using Wii Points. Wii Points can either be purchased online via the Wii Shop Channel using a credit card or users can purchase Wii Points by buying a Wii Points card in retail stores. These points can then be redeemed against Virtual Console games via the Wii Shop Channel.
Virtual Console games available in December 2006

NES

Baseball, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Ice Hockey, Mario Bros., Pinball, Soccer, Solomon's Key, Tennis, The Legend of Zelda, Urban Champion, Wario's Woods

SNES

F-Zero, SimCity, Donkey Kong Country

N64

Super Mario 64

SEGA MEGA DRIVE

Sonic the Hedgehog, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Columns, Gunstar Heroes, Ecco the Dolphin, Space Harrier II, Toe Jam & Earl, Ristar, Dr. Robotonik’s Mean Bean Machine

Turbografx (PC Engine)

Bonk’s Adventure, Super Star Soldier, Victory Run, Bomberman’93, Dungeon Explorer

Virtual Console games will be available to download using Wii Points. For the titles available in 2006, NES games will be available for 500 Wii Points (approximately €5), Super NES games will available for 800 Wii Points (approximately €8) and N64 games will be available for 1000 Wii Points (approximately €10). SEGA MEGA DRIVE games will be available for 800 Wii points and Turbografx (PC Engine) games will be available for 600 Wii points. Wii points required for titles available in 2007 may vary.

Wii Points Cards are available to buy in retail stores and are estimated to retail at around €20 for 2000 Wii Points.

The Wii console will be launching across Europe on 8th December at an estimated retail price of around €249 Euros (£179 in the UK).

DKC and Wario's Woods :)

Also it looks like we're getting Turbografx after all, with NTSC only titles to boot! (Bomberman'93, Super Star Soldier, Victory Run) We can only hope and pray that other publishers follow suit...

Oh wait I've just realised that Super Mario Bros is not avaliable at launch! That's ******* Bullshit! It's probably the most wanted game by the general public and they don't have it!!!

ethelred

For months now, all the signs had been pointing towards an exceptionally disappointing Virtual Console initial lineup. Yet every time I posted that I wasn't happy with how things were shaping up, nooooooo, everyone had to say "We still don't know anything! Be happy, Nintendo won't disappoint! Stop trolling Wii! Wait for the finalized lists because the trademarks and ESRB ratings and complete lack of other information isn't enough!"

Well, I hope you're all happy.

Stop your whinging. The full online system isn’t up and running yet. When online gaming is up and running you’ll sell it with your online shop.
Also 31 VC games to begin with then 10-15 titles a month added. Even if we averaged 12 a month that’ll be 100+titles by May 2007 for use.

I’d rather have that than 100titles now, and me miss 90% of them.

AniHawk

I was looking forward to playing Ristar, but it can wait. There's nothing on there that I'll get at launch. Not like I want to buy Sonic the Hedgehog for the fifth or sixth time.

Although I guess Toejam & Earl is a little tempting. Maybe Bonk or Gunstar too.

Rocked

Why all the shitty NES games? I would much prefer more SNES and N64 stuff... they've aged much better. Where's my Donkey Kong Country 2? The Genesis line-up is better than I expected though. Space Harrier II FTW!

I guess we might get a different games lineup in Europe though?

shuri

Banned
What's hilarious is how you can get the original carts on ebay for most of these games for much less than the VB prices.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
awesomely weak launch list. I mean, an anti-Nintendo fanboy couldn't have come up with a more pathetic selection of SNES and N64 titles.

Way to drop the ****ing ball Nintendo - Euroland gets ass-****ed with expensive controllers, shit VC lineup, and ludicruous VC prices considering their age and digital delivery. If I bought all the VC games in Animal Crossing it would end up costing me more than Animal Crossing itself does these days. Absolutely ridiculous. So much for transferring old game collections to Wii for convenience.

Speevy said:
You don't think taking (for example) F-Zero SNES and giving it an online mode, especially given Nintendo's questionable handling of online in the past, would take a lot more time than just emulating the original game and putting it on the VC?

yes it would, but it would also be a reason to buy it for 8 ****ing Euros. Stick 2P mode in while you're at it. FZero goes for £0.99 on ebay if it sells at all.

Luna104 said:
Even though there's an €8 price tag...

and this is why they think they can get away with raping us.

shuri said:
What's hilarious is how you can get the original carts on ebay for most of these games for much less than the VB prices.

For some games yes, for others no. The vast majority are cheaper than VC prices, but the "classics" are often more expensive...not that it is an excuse.

Rocked

European Line-Up Revealed

SNES

Mario Is Missing
Pit Fighter
Last Action Hero
True Lies
Home Alone
Revolution X featuring Aerosmith
Super 3D Noah's Ark

N64

Superman 64

fresquito

Totally disappointing list. Only Gunstar Heroes interests me. But there's no way on earth I'm pouring 8 euros for the game.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
That launch line-up is terrible. Sonic the hedgehog and super mario 64 are the only 2 games I want. Hopefully the VC library expands very quickly. There are loads of N64 games and SNES games that I really want, yet there are only 3 titles from those systems that are available.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Ugh the pricing is ridiculous but I believe it was already leaked months back so I'm not really that surprised.

If I were absolutely forced to choose and was Mr. Richmoneybags:

NES
* Mario Bros.
* The Legend of Zelda
* Donkey Kong

Nintendo 64
* Super Mario 64

SEGA Genesis
* Gunstar Heroes

TurboGrafx-16
* Bonk's Adventure

Top Bottom