• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii's Virtual Console Lineup Revealed

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
So... I won't be able to get FE Monshuo no Nazo in Europe?

C'MON Nintendo, do some effort and put someone translatting this ****ing master piece!

GUNSTAR HEROES

don't forget the Genesis collection is coming out soon, though, and it's only 20 bucks:
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Altered Beast
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco II: The Tides of Time
Ecco Jr.
Kid Chameleon
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium
Ristar
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Super Thunder Blade
Sword of Vermilion
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Virtua Fighter 2

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
john tv said:
So Genesis games are 600 yen (about $5) in Japan but $8 in America?

DEAR SEGA,

YOU GOT SOME SPLAININ' TO DO

RICKY

Oh well, it looks like I will be double dipping with a PS2 version + a PSP version of their Sega Genesis collection and still I might pay less than buying the games on the Wii PAL Virtual Console (likely we will pay each game 8 Euros and not $8...).

Amir0x

Banned
I think a way to remedy this situation, is to offer 'package deals.' Like, pay for a "SEGA GENESIS POINT PACKAGE" where you'll have to pay a bit more upfront, but you'll get a discount on all SEGA games or something. And they can offer them for each system.

It's really, really hard to swallow that SEGA Genesis Collection offers 28 games for $20, and I can't even get 2 of those games under this deal. For the record, to get all those games on Wii Virtual Console you'll have to spend a total of $224 dollars! The gap there is just mother effin' ridiculous.

BuddyC

Man, I am so thrilled about Bonk's Adventure, but the lack of US Adventure Island makes me :( :( :(

Smooth guys, way to axe one of the two games I actually wanted.

Amir0x

Banned
well, i think that'll be one of the first games added during the monthly updates if it's any consolation, BuddyC!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Amir0x said:
SEGA Genesis Collection offers 28 games for $20, and I can't even get 2 of those games under this deal. For the record, to get all those games on Wii Virtual Console you'll have to spend a total of $224 dollars! The gap there is just mother effin' ridiculous.

WTF!!!WTF!!!WTF!!!WTF!!!WTF!!!WTF!!!WTF!!!WTF!!!WTF!!!WTF!!!

Luckily, Nintendo is about GAMES and what is best for GAMERS unlike those greedy Microsoft and Sony that just want your money!

BuddyC

Amir0x said:
well, i think that'll be one of the first games added during the monthly updates if it's any consolation, BuddyC!
But, like, Japan gets it first and stuff. At least the TurboGrafx prices seem reasonable, I certainly won't mind paying $6 for Bonk or Adventure Island, especially since I was never able to own the system myself.

BuddyC said:
Man, I am so thrilled about Bonk's Adventure, but the lack of US Adventure Island makes me :( :( :(

Smooth guys, way to axe one of the two games I actually wanted.
Not sure if you caught this, I didn't know it, but the TG16 Adventure Island is acutally a Wonder Boy game that was released under a different name in the US (Dragon's something), not the Adventure Island US gamers know. Weird. It's in the Hudson VC thread.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Amir0x said:
It's really, really hard to swallow that SEGA Genesis Collection offers 28 games for $20, and I can't even get 2 of those games under this deal. For the record, to get all those games on Wii Virtual Console you'll have to spend a total of $224 dollars! The gap there is just mother effin' ridiculous.

sad isn't it

Amir0x

Banned
BuddyC said:
But, like, Japan gets it first and stuff.

Yeah, Japan gets a lot of stuff first. They also get the better prices on everything this time around, they suck :(

But Japanese launch comes a bit later, so maybe Nintendo will update with these games for US audiences in short order.

BuddyC

GitarooMan said:
Not sure if you caught this, I didn't know it, but the TG16 Adventure Island is acutally a Wonder Boy game that was released under a different name in the US (Dragon's something), not the Adventure Island US gamers know. Weird. It's in the Hudson VC thread.
No, I hadn't caught that. Very interesting, I guess I've got some reading to do.

EDIT: Ah, now I see that the game I actually want is New Adventure Island. But oddly enough, some lists read New Adventure Island, while others just list plain old Adventure Island for the JP Wii VC. I'm confused, but I have faith in Hudson...

andthebeatgoeson

I hope they add save anywhere states and some other emulator functions. They should realize that all those old games were ridiculously hard and most people never saw then last few stages.

Did anybody beat adventure island? I didn't, I probably only got to the 5 or 6th stage.

thefro

The much-better Japanese lineup :(

http://wii.ign.com/articles/743/743043p1.html
# Ice Hockey (Nintendo, 500pts)
# Urban Champion (Nintendo, 500pts)
# Kage no Densetsu (aka The Legend of Kage, Taito, 500pts)
# Gradius (Konami, 500pts)
# Gomoku Narabe (Nintendo, 500pts)
# Soccer (Nintendo, 500pts)
# Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, 500pts)
# Xevious (Bandai Namco Games, 500pts)
# Zelda no Densetsu (aka The Legend of Zelda, Nintendo, 500pts)
# Solomon no Kagi (aka Solomon's Key, Tecmo, 500pts)
# Tennis (Nintendo, 500pts)
# Donkey Kong (Nintendo, 500pts)
# Donkey Kong Jr. (Nintendo, 500pts)
# Ninja Jaja Marukun (Jaleco, 500pts)
# Pinball (Nintendo, 500pts)
# Baseball (Nintendo, 500pts)
# Mario Brothers (Nintendo, 500pts)
# Wario no Mori (aka Wario's Woods, Nintendo, 500pts)

Super Famicom (aka, Super Nintendo)

# F-Zero (Nintendo, 800pts)
# R-Type III (Nintendo, 800pts)
# Akumajo Dracula (presumably Super Castlevania, 800pts)
# Contra Spirits (Konami, 800pts)
# Sim City (Nintendo, 900pts)
# Street Fighter II (Capcom, 800pts)
# Super Donkey Kong (aka Donkey Kong Country, Nintendo, 800pts)
# Super Mario World (Nintendo, 800pts)
# Zelda: A Link to the Past (Nintendo, 900pts)
# Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo (Nintendo, 900pts)
# Mario no Super Picross (Nintendo, 800pts)

Nintendo 64

# Super Mario 64 (Nintendo, 1000pts)

Mega Drive (aka Genesis)

# Ecco the Dolphin (Sega, 600pts)
# Gunstar Heroes (Sega, 600pts)
# Golden Axe (Sega, 600pts)
# Columns (Sega, 600pts)
# Shadow Dancer (Sega, 600pts)
# Altered Beast (Sega, 600pts)
# Space Harrier II (Sega, 600pts)
# Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega, 600pts)
# Toejam & Earl (Sega, 600pts)
# Puyo Puyo (Sega, 600pts)
# Ristar the Shooting Star (Sega, 600pts)

PC Engine (aka Turbo Grafx)

# PC Genjin (aka Bonk's Adventure, Hudson, 600pts)
# Necromanser (Hudson, 600pts)
# Super Star Soldier (Hudson, 600pts)
# New Adventure Island (Hudson, 600pts)
# Dungeon Explorer (Hudson, 600pts)
# Battle Load Runner (Hudson, 600pts)
# Victory Run (Hudson, 600pts)
# Bomberman '94 (Hudson, 600pts)

hyp

does anyone have screens of VC games displayed on a TV? i'm wondering if they're going to scale down the game in 16:9 and create borders like they do for XBLA titles. that'd be awesome, especially if they used some character art as well. or will it be disappointment total w/ a black screen and an emulated game stretched out?

i'm very curious.

i'm going to fall over and croak if they don't release Blazing Lazers for TG16.

AniHawk

God damnit. They're getting Fire Emblem on the SNES. They need to translate that shit and release it here. I wouldn't mind paying $10 or so for a game we've never received.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh wait I've just realised that Super Mario Bros is not avaliable at launch! That's ******* Bullshit! It's probably the most wanted game by the general public and they don't have it!!!

Really?

threeball

Banned
This virtual console launch lineup blows. Especially from Nintendo. They should be the ones pushing it, not throwing it out there to the public with games like "Baseball" and "Tennis". Those games were fun back in the day, but I honestly don't see anyone looking forward to downloading those titles for $5 with Wii Sports packed in.

This is by far the most disappointing information of the Wii I have recieved, I took the $249price pretty hard but at least the videos they released after that helped ease my pain and understand.

The games I wanted most for launch were Earthbound and Super Mario Kart, mainly because of my Holiday Earthbound All-Nighter Run and my annual holiday Super Mario Kart tournament.

I guess the only game I'll be downloading here is Sonic the Hedgehog. I already have Zelda for the Collector's Edition and F-Zero GX is good enough for me. I have Mario 64 for the DS. Those are really the only launch titles from Nintendo that stand out for me.

It makes you wonder what exactly Nintendo wants the Virtual Console to become and what exactly they want to do with it. None of those launch titles for the masses and non-gamers or former-gamers will scream impulse buy.

guys does anyone know if any of these games are playable online (or some type of high scores list like XBL has with friends) and does the wii even have an online system? i'm not being sarcastic here (if they dont) i honestly dont know :(

FrenchMovieTheme said:
guys does anyone know if any of these games are playable online (or some type of high scores list like XBL has with friends) and does the wii even have an online system? i'm not being sarcastic here (if they dont) i honestly dont know :(

It is possible to make a virtual console game online, but there's no word as to when that'll happen. It might only be done for games made exclusively for the VC.

As for online, yeah. Just not right at this moment. The first game to go online is Pokemon Battle Revolution, in Japan...I don't know, in January I think.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really know what nintendo is thinking here ( or sega or anyone else).

I amsure in their twisted logic they don't want DLC to compete with a full priced game too aggresively, but I think they are offbase with how competetive they really are 20 years later. Sure some games are timeless, and still could actually compete with playtime of a new games (the gunstar heroes and Yoshi's ilsands etc), and those should be priced according to their relative merits (8 bucks for YI? sign me up). I think a range would be more palatable and I think nintendo would be surprised at the number of people who would be willing to snatch up cheaper stuff just to sample them.

I am much more inclined to snap up a $2 NES game out of curiosity (or morbidity if I know its shit and I just want to relive old memories), than I am to make an investment at 5$ a pop. Go ahead and charge 5 bones for SMB, but this simply doesn't approach an "itunes" model of making a pure hedonistic purchasing environment ;)

This list for me is seriously disappointing from the Nintendo Console side, and I don't exactly think my expectations were very high. The prices don't really bother me, and I would've been satisfied with Mario World, and Zelda:LTTP... not outrageous expectations IMO. The Genesis and TG16 stuff seems fine and I'll probably get more playitme out of those games then the Nintendo stuff until they start putting more content on.

WTF Nintendo. WTF.

adg1034

I don't know if this has been posted, but this is from Mark Bozon at IGN:
So you either love me or hate me right now, depending on how patient you are. Here's the deal, Matty-boy and I know a few of the VC games that aren't released yet, and one of them on the list makes my Top 10 list in the final spot as a game I'm dying to play at launch. Now I'm not putting this on the list to over-hype the game as an end-all, be-all blockbuster hit. It's simply a title that I missed over the years since I was a die-hard Nintendo fan, and when I heard it was on the way, I instantly made it a must-have game on my list. Of course we're all waiting to see if games like Sin and Punishment or Goldeneye (good luck) are going to make the list, but it's good to know that games like ³mystery title² are going to be here on day one, making the Virtual Console something that fans of every retro system (not just Nintendo ones) can call their own. We'll have more for you on Friday.

Enough screwing around though

So, probably a Genesis game... Commence mindless speculation.

I was thinking Last Blade 2 for the Neo-Geo.. but its 554 Megs. Almost definitely a Genesis game, but there is also odd ones that Nintendo fans may have heard of but never plumbed for... Radiant Silvergun (TEEEAM!) and so forth. I'm thinking something dumb like Golden Axe... 2.

psy18

Some more :

* Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Kirby’s Super Star (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
* Starfox 64 (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
* Super Metroid (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Kirby’s Dream Land 3 (Super NES; rated E for Everyone)
* The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64; rated E for Everyone)
* Excitebike (NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Ice Climber (NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Dr. Mario (NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Mario Brothers (NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Ice Hockey (NES; rated E for Everyone)
* Soccer (NES; rated E for Everyone)

source : gonintendo

DMczaf

Nintendo finally releases a good Starfox after all these years!

Muppet345

DMczaf said:

Nintendo finally releases a good Starfox after all these years!
Hey, I really liked Command. ;3 It wasn't a real sequel to 64, but it was much, much better than the Adventure/Assault sacks of crap, and a good game in its own right.

I am also in the "Localize old Fire Emblem games and be forgiven for all sins, Nintendo" crowd.

Scum

psy18 said:
Some more :

Awesome! This better be Europe bound...

psy18 said:
Some more :

There we go, this plus stuff on the other list means im dropping like $40 right at the start. Thats enough.

This is for US right?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
argon said:
I hope this is true, and I hope it includes the Master Quest.
those were all games recently rated by the ESRB. no confirmation on VC necessarily.. just that they were submitted to the ESRB for ratings.

bune duggy said:
will the VC affect ebay prices, you think?
no.. people pay huge prices on ebay to own the original game and packaging.. VC will do nothing to curb that, the same as SNES9x hasn't really done anything to stop it.

Hellraizah said:
Seriously, Metal Slug Anthology with Gunstar Heroes on VC makes this a dream console from the get go for schmups fans.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

: faints :

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
psy18 said:
Some more :

That's more like it. I still want more obscure titles to be available though.

borghe said:
those were all games recently rated by the ESRB. no confirmation on VC necessarily.. just that they were submitted to the ESRB for ratings.
so does that mean they're coming for the DS? :)
no.. people pay huge prices on ebay to own the original game and packaging.. VC will do nothing to curb that, the same as SNES9x hasn't really done anything to stop it.
true. well, I'm not getting rid of my SNES, especially after the cash I had to spend to get my collection to look like it was all those years ago.

loosus

Banned
I wonder...is the CPU fast enough to decompress ROMs on the fly? That would save quite a bit of storage in the long run.

MoxManiac

loosus said:
I wonder...is the CPU fast enough to decompress ROMs on the fly? That would save quite a bit of storage in the long run.

Er, doing so wouldn't require CPU power, but rather appropriate amounts of RAM, which I'd assume Wii has (most emulators will play roms directly out of zip files, it's just a matter of decompressing the rom and having it float in the ram)

loosus

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Er, doing so wouldn't require CPU power, but rather appropriate amounts of RAM, which I'd assume Wii has (most emulators will play roms directly out of zip files, it's just a matter of decompressing the rom and having it float in the ram)
Sure it would. If you don't have the CPU power, you're going to be sitting there for a while, effectively making it not "on-the-fly."

Top Bottom