• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will any movies of our generation be considered as classics in 30 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001, Casablanca, The Good The Bad and The Ugly. Movies like these are generally to be considered as classics by the general public, with many more that can be added to that list.

However, it can get tricky when trying to predict if any films of our generation (and to narrow it down I'm specifically talking about the 90's until now) will fall into that category as well. Or if it's going to happen at all, for that matter.

So GAF, in 30 years' time, will we still be citing the same list of classic movies, or will it be filled up with some more recent entries of the current generation?

INB4 people start bringing up movies, then other users laugh/mock their choices

Yep. We won't know until 30 years later. We're all too cynical to see things objectively.

Social Network might be a good bet though. Big, award winning film of a director who will have a celebrated filmography, and have a historical element. Titanic will also be up there, for the same reasons.

The Matrix
Inception
Gladiator
Lord of the Rings
Avatar (sort of like Cleopatra - not great, but people remember it)
Love, Actually
District 9 (sort of like Planet of the Apes)

INB4 people start bringing up movies, then other users laugh/mock their choices

lol yeah I hope that can be avoided, but I know thats me being a little naive. I would hope people can be objective about their choices, without being too partial to personal favorites.

For me, I could see LOTR being up there. It has its flaws, sure. But in terms of scope and ambition, as well as being the first project to film all the movies of a trilogy at once (I think?), I could see it being heralded as a classic in 30 years.

Apart from that, I'm having a seriously hard time thinking of any.

edit: I mean, I'm talking about films where people in 30 years' time will go: "Duuuude, you haven't seen [insert movie title] yet? Wtf gtfo and watch that movie now!"

Lord of the Rings
Children of Men
No Country for Old Men
Moon

How about comedy? Think there are any recent comedies that will retain their appeal in 30 years like Some Like It Hot, Young Frankenstein, Airplane!, or Caddyshack/Ghostbusters?

jtb

Banned
Just from 2007 alone:

There Will Be Blood
Zodiac
Gone Baby Gone
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
arguably No Country for old Men

and just to shit on everyone else's parade, Inception will never ever ever ever be considered a classic. partly because it's shit.

I think it's safe to talk about certain 90's movies as "classics" now.

Films that are still highly recommended after 20 odd years will probably stay highly recommended in the coming decades.

- Terminator 2
- Jurrasic Park
- Shawshank Redemption
- Silence of the Lambs
- The Lion King

Just to name a few that will live on for a long time.

FillerB

Children of Men
Gladiator

First for the atmosphere and world it creates, second for the action. The glorious glorious action.

jtb

Banned
Also, romantic dramedy classics:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Lost in Translation
Punch Drunk Love

Just great films, all around. Especially Eternal Sunshine.

Lord of the Rings
Children of Men
No Country for Old Men
Moon

How about comedy? Think there are any recent comedies that will retain their appeal in 30 years like Some Like It Hot, Young Frankenstein, Airplane!, or Caddyshack/Ghostbusters?
The Ace Ventura movies might, as may American Pie or The Hangover. But then again, I saw Liar Liar again the other day and that movie has not aged well...

Comedies are tricky, but I imagine that the frat pack movies will be reflected on pretty fondly. Dark comedies and quirky stuff will probably fare better than most.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
The Harry Potter movies will still be watched in 30 years and will be considered classics. Though, not for their critical acclaim.

KevinCow

Banned
What are we counting as "our generation"?

Would Jurassic Park count, or is that too old?

Because Jurassic Park is definitely a classic.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I think it's safe to talk about certain 90's movies as "classics" now.

Films that are still highly recommended after 20 odd years will probably stay highly recommended in the coming decades.

- Terminator 2
- Jurrasic Park
- Shawshank Redemption
- Silence of the Lambs
- The Lion King

Just to name a few that will live on for a long time.

Pulp Fiction

As for recent movies

The Assassinated of Jesse James
There Will be Blood
(which is great because both have an Aflack in them)
Inglorious Basterds

Anth0ny

I consider a bunch of films from the 90s to be classics already (Disney Renaissance, Toy Story, The Matrix, Terminator 2, Shawshank and a lot more).

However, starting in 2000 it gets tough. The only one I can say definitively is The Dark Knight. I don't watch nearly as many films as I'd like to. I'm a huge fan of The Social Network, but I think it needs a bit more time before we start calling it an all time classic. Maybe Toy Story 3? Inglorious Basterds? Inception?
Avengers? ^_^

Fry

Just from 2007 alone:

There Will Be Blood
Zodiac
Gone Baby Gone
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

arguably No Country for old Men

and just to shit on everyone else's parade, Inception will never ever ever ever be considered a classic. partly because it's shit.

I still haven't watched these! argh.

The Ace Ventura movies might, as may American Pie or The Hangover. But then again, I saw Liar Liar again the other day and that movie has not aged well...

If anything, the first American Pie will be the Porky's of 2030. I didn't find the original Hangover funny even now, so I doubt it will be a classic. Then again, that's me not being objective. It's a tricky thing.

edit:
What are we counting as "our generation"?

Like I said in the OP, to narrow it down I'd say from the 90's 'till now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom