• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will any movies of our generation be considered as classics in 30 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
MV5BMzcyNjcwNzg2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzA5Mzc2._V1._SX337_SY500_.jpg

MV5BMTIxMTg3ODA1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTkzMDEyMQ@@._V1._SX327_SY475_.jpg

Prometheus will be looked at as Blade Runner is now

All three Matrix films will be looked at as way way ahead of their time

The New World will be studied in film classes around the world

Terrence Malick will have a course completely dedicated to his films and direction

Tron Legacy will have a cult like following 30 years from now and will have midnight showings in LA and NY every Saturday night.

Daft_Cat

Prometheus will be looked at as Blade Runner is now

All three Matrix films will be looked at as way way ahead of their time

The New World will be studied in film classes around the world

Terrence Malick will have a course completely dedicated to his films and direction

Tron Legacy will have a cult like following 30 years from now and will have midnight showings in LA and NY every Saturday night.

You know what? I hope (and suspect) that you're spot on. I think we have similar tastes.

noah111

Still Alive
The Social Network
Hunger Games
Twilight
etc

Much of the movies being listed are already considered classics, imo.

There Will be Blood, No Country for Old Men, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, are the only ones I have seen that I think can hold up real well in thirty years maybe that has something to do with them being period pieces.

I can easily see Prometheus and Tron Legacy having huge cult followings in the years to come. Not unlike how my age group has a heavy nostalgic connection to 1980s sci fi films like Blade Runner, Predator, Robocop, Terminator, etc.

legacyzero

Banned
I really hope the Book of Eli goes down as a classics. It's just so good.

The Matrix Trilogy and Independence Day will be classics for me.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Going from IMDb Top 250

Pulp Fiction
Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
The Dark Knight
LotR Trilogy
Fight Club
Inception
Donnie Darko
The Matrix
Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
Toy Story Trilogy

Reuenthal

Banned
Here are some:

Silence of the Lambs
Jurassic Park
Goodfelllas
Terminator 2
Total Recall
Pulp Fiction
Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
Fight Club
Seven
The Thin Red Line
Saving Private Ryan
Matrix
Toy Story
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Lion King
Alladin

Lord of the Rings trilogy
City of God
Memento
Pan's Labyrinth
There will be Blood
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
No Country for Old Men
Children of Men
Downfall
Lives of Others
The Incredibles

Syndromes and a Century
4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
Flight of the Red Balloon
Wendy and Lucy
Inglourious Basterds
Summer Hours
Yi Yi
Inland Empire
Miami Vice
Silent Light
The New World
The Tree of Life
The Thin Red Line
Sweet and Lowdown
Talk to Her
Bad Education
Synecdoche, New York
Russian Ark
Waltz with Bashir
Take Shelter
George Washington
The Best of Youth
Good call, more people need to watch this.

Cptkrush

I skimmed through and didn't see it posted, but I feel that Shaun of the Dead will go down as a comedy classic. It's, pretty much, the perfect parody flick.
Oh, and if Prometheus gets the 50 minutes Scott's been talking about back, the DC will be fantastic and the film will be regarded as a great sci-fi movie.

Just for discussion's sake, I'll say no.

Those classic films have something unabashed in them because they were made in the early days of the big studios. They didn't have to acknowledge the existence of other greats in them because there were none. Anything we make today will somehow be referential to other works, even in the influences it excludes.
I agree with you, but for a different reason, namely that the flood of new movies make it highly unlikely that a film from this era (1990's-on) will be able to build enough of a critical and popular footprint to make it into some pantheon of "classics." Imagine 2001 being released in the late 90's, it would have likely floundered on release and there's nothing that would make it shoulder out the current arty sci-fi releases of today (Moon, Melancholia, Another Earth, Love, Upside Down, Gravity, etc...) for our attention. Sure, it might be well regarded, but people, media, and the content companies are so focused on today and tomorrow that no one will spend the time to nurture a newer work in to classic status.

-_-

Banned
No order with some foreign films

Amelie
Totoro
Ratatouille
Grave of the Fireflies
Pan's Labyrinth
No Country for Old Men
Oldboy
Jurassic Park
He loves Me, He loves Me Not
Wall-E

I hope Hot Fuzz or Taken as both no holds bar adrenaline rush action classics with awesome cuts and cinematography haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom