• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Bioware ever depart from its "Player Ego-stroking" formula?

Molemitts

Not me. RPG or not, the games in which the character isn't the center of the universe are very interesting, at least from a story perspective.

I really agree. You can create much more interesting character interaction when you're not the center of the universe. There will also be a more interesting context for the story, instead of just "you're special."

Well what if everyone important was a level 150 badass?

I mean in comparison to the "normal" people.

To use a tabletop comparison, most non-adventuring types in D&D are considering level 0, or level 1 at most. Even if you were a nobody, if you survive and progress long enough to hit say, level 10, much less level 20, it's a given that you're important and have made a name for yourself, because you so wildly outclass most other people alive.

An RPG about being a relatively unknown person in the shadow of epic events happening around them would be cool as hell, but I do think you'd need to find a way to make progress not just a simple "now you're stronger"-type system, and maybe something where you're simply expanding your repertoire of abilities and options.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think to make that work, you'd need to do some serious thinking about how to handle character progression. It wouldn't make much sense if by the end, you're a level 99 badass but still "nobody" in the grand scheme of things.

Look at The Witcher. Geralt is a well known character in the world, even knows most of the kings and some of the most important people around, but he is still pretty much a nobody for 99% of the world because in the end he is just a dude who kills monsters.

Edit: Not saying Witcher 3 is the perfect example for this, but it shows a way how this could be done.

Sou Da

I don't feel like this was fair or even correct assessment of Inquisition at all. But if you're looking for a more direct answer then you already know it's DA2.

EDIT: I could argue Jade Empire as well but I'd probably meet a lot of resistance there.

EDIT 2: I gotta go, but I'm subbing to this.

danm999

DA2 begins with a framing device that tells you that your character's actions have already had a huge, far reaching impact on Thedas.

The idea that game isn't ego stroking is laughable.

Zolo

DA2 begins with a framing device that tells you that your character's actions have already had a huge, far reaching impact on Thedas.

There's also the fact that Hawke is still regarded as 'Super-awesome fighter-for-hire dude!'. Carver's story arc is in large part his inferiority complex to being overshadowed by his awesome sibling.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
No, because approximately zero of their fans gives a shit.

I don't think they've made a decent game since mass effect 1

Daemul

All video games stroke the players ego in some way, but Bioware's games take it to a whole new level I feel. In Mass Effect you have NPC's constantly sucking Shepard's dick and telling him how amazing and awesome he is, and how no one else, not a single person in this galaxy full of trillions of individuals, could do the things that he does, not a single one, it's absolutely ridiculous.
KuGsj.gif

It honestly takes me out of the game because it comes across as so condescending, as if NPC's are mocking the player in some way.

Eh, as much as I like to sometimes play an RPG where the characters are only important in their own contained stories, Bioware does epic yet personally satisfying tales like no one else, and breaking from that formulae is asking for trouble.

Not least of all because it means what choices you do have are just frustratingly meaningless and lead to unsatisfying outcomes otherwise.

I mean DA2 was a huge disappointment for most because nothing you did ended up mattering (although I loved the game for it's depiction of a bunch of chancers hanging out with their mates and getting way out of their depth), and ME3's ending was a fucking disaster by going from epic wish fulfilment and player agency to suddenly at the last minute changing the plot to no longer being about Shepard and crew, and instead a choice between 3 equally shit options favoured by Space Hitler.

Wulfram

Dragon Age pretty much has to be "ego stroking". The gameplay is based on killing thousands of bad guys including dragons and demons and so forth, if the world is going to make sense people are going to go "whoah" and treat the player as something special.

Also, people want to feel their choices matter, which is at least easier to pull off if the player character has some pull, particularly in the epic scale plots that are required by the DA gameplay formula.

There are a few tweaks they could make - they could have it take longer for the PC to get their reputation, they could give the player a villainous reputation rather than a heroic one - but fundamentally I don't think its escapable.

They could change things around for their new IP, though.

Zolo

This is a bioware problem? Not just a video game, especially jrpgs problem?

Actually, due to the protagonists being set characters in most JRPGs, I usually find they don't have the problem as much. They're also more likely to have unwinnable boss fights and characters that are clearly stronger than them in the world while most WRPGs seem to just consider you the strongest from either the start or close.

I would say... potentially, but at this stage you'd probably see it more likely occur in say, a spinoff or some side project the staff have worked on, rather than a main title.

I mean, I don't agree entirely with the assessment that Bioware never questions the player, or has them face negative consequences; or that at least, that they've never done so in the past (which I realise may not be what OP is saying, and I've yet to play Inquisition, so yeah). Typically in the past though their approach on such matters is that of negligence - ie, yours as the player. If you don't put in the effort to talk to your party, to find the appropriate allies, or to have the right gear, then there's at least the chance that someone'll die, if not worse. It is possible to have your cake and eat it, but not a guarantee; one of their favourite tactics being if you waited too long to eat the damn cake.

Mind you, how well they convey to the player that they've screwed up is another matter entirely, and I will admit, many times characters can come across as a bit... too understanding of your perspective. Typically with some version of the line about having to make a choice and so they understand that it was a 'hard decision' you 'had' to make.

I think part of it is affected by fan reception, since Bioware for a long time, and to some extent still, relied on a core fanbase that had become fans of the developers themselves, more than the franchises it handled. And often, whilst many here and elsewhere will talk about how great it is story wise to have to face the (negative) consequences for your actions, and not have everything go your way, I would say many more disagree quite vehemently. Many people hated DA2's ending for putting you in a scenario where there was no good ending that didn't end in an all out war, and they hated the original ME3 ending where, to varying degrees, you stopped the Reapers but appeared to utterly fuck over the galaxy in the process. And they got praise from people when they responded on the latter and provided some much awaited cake.

And I admit, I liked that cake, so I'm part of the problem.

I hope that the new mass effect has more options that play out different, being the bad guy in mass effect most of the time just has shepard say something nasty but the game continues anyway.

I want to see more things change and vary from choices made, ME1 nearly went there but in the end it was not enough.

lazygecko

Kind of amazing that some of you see getting a handjob from every NPC you meet on your way to save the known universe as some kind of design conundrum yet to be solved.

There seems to be this underlying notion in nearly all of video game writing that "if we can't make the player the center of the universe, how are we supposed to tell a compeling story?". It really screwed over the unique story potential of MMORPGs as they grew and changed over the years.

It reeks of narrow-minded defeatism and creative bankrupcy.

Furthermore, the ego-stroking wouldn't be quite as bad as it is if the games actually made you feel like you earn it, which most of the time they fail at doing. Stuff like your ally NPC telling you he hurt his pinky finger so you have to man the turret at the end of the level to mow down the hundreds of mindless enemies running into your line of fire, followed by everyone telling you how amazing you are.

Eusis

I mean look at Fallout 4. You leave the vault and instantly become general of some organisation. You complete one sidequests for the Brotherhood of Steel and they instantly are super impressed with you and want to hire you. You are the number #1 talk in town. And the town is the entire map
I've felt that Bethesda was worse than Bioware there to be honest. It seems like with every game from at least Oblivion onwards they're fawning all over you once you have a few quests under your belt. Oblivion at least made it so
you were not THE chosen one
, but that doesn't mean much when half the people go "You're the hero of Kavatch!" when you walk by.

At least most people seem to either be apathetic to you running around in Bioware games or just state your name/title as a greeting.

If there hasn't already been one, there needs to be a 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead' style adventure game where you're just some random dude witnessing a far grander story from the sidelines, and the game focuses more on how these larger events impact your day to day life.

There could still be an epic adventure there, but in the grand scheme of things you'd still be an average joe instead of the second-coming of Christ like most RPG's like to frame your protagonist.

While The Witcher isn't quite as low key as that, the main thrust of the Witcher series is that while Geralt has a bunch of friends and connections to people in high places, him being a Witcher makes him almost always seen as an outsider. He's never the Chosen One and the thing that I like in The Witcher 3 is that basically it's a story about Ciri being the "Chosen One" and Geralt is around to help her out in her journey. I thought that was cool.

For me not really. DA2 was so insecure in thinking you'd care about Hawke's story it basically had to scream at you during all the Cassandra and Varic interrogation framing scenes that Hawke did something huge that affected Thedas forever. It just couldn't leave well enough alone.

Yeah, I never understand people that try to latch on to the idea that DA2 was some huge break in BioWare storytelling by saying Hawke's story was some low stakes thing compared to typical BioWare fare when it wasn't at all. Sure, you're not saving the world but like you said, the framing device plants Hawke as being this big time global catalyst from the start and the story is constantly pushing Hawke forward as this ever more influential force in Kirkwall.

Players like to feel important in their RPGs.

Funny, I enjoy the opposite feeling in RPGs: where you see a complex world folding out before you in ways your PC only can comprehend in a sideways, oroverarching manner. Or perhaps only plain after the fact if at all.

I like the backwater areas of open worlds, not the capitals.

lazygecko

I've felt that Bethesda was worse than Bioware there to be honest. It seems like with every game from at least Oblivion onwards they're fawning all over you once you have a few quests under your belt. Oblivion at least made it so
you were not THE chosen one
, but that doesn't mean much when half the people go "You're the hero of Kavatch!" when you walk by.

At least most people seem to either be apathetic to you running around in Bioware games or just state your name/title as a greeting.

The absolute worst was all the guards in Skyrim going "Psst! I know who you really are... Hail Sithis!" if you joined the Dark Brotherhood. This kind of random NPC acknowledgement is one of the most contrived things about their games.

So I just finished Dragon Age Inquisition and thought that Bioware once again used the same conventional design that they've used throughout most if not all their games. The player character is always the Chosen One that everybody worships and wants to have sex with and defeats the Evil Bad Guys with ease. Then the game ends with a big farewell party where all your party members are there to congratulate and cherish the player. It's almost as if Bioware has a core design principle that states that players should always have their ego stroked and should never face negative consequences to their actions. It is always possible to have your cake and eat it too in a Bioware game.

There's hardly any opposition to your player character, hardly anyone ever really questions you or disagrees with you, and there are never any repercussions to crossing other characters. There might be that "approval/disapproval" party system in DA:I, but they never amounted to something that actually mattered or had consequences (at least in my playthrough). I.e. it is always easy to win or have everybody like you.

I know, Bioware is basically just AAA popcorn RPG developer where you turn off your brain, and obviously there are other games that fulfill what I am talking about, but it would be interesting to have one of the premier and noteworthy RPG developers try to push the envelope a bit more than always providing the same safe and tired power fantasy experience that only aims to please the player. It would be cool to have some scenarios that challenge the player. The only real challenge I can recall in their contemporary output is deciding between
Kaiden or Ashley
in Mass Effect 1 (and that's hardly a complex decision) - otherwise everything else is just straight forward as far as I can recall.

I guess you forgot between choosing
geth or quarian on ME3

Window

I don't think this is a problem exclusive to Bioware. Most RPGs are adventure stories and whether the scope is defined by saving/influencing the town, the world, the universe is not that significant of a difference. I think also games involving narrative choices in an effort make those choices seem consequential, results in those choices altering the story/world in a significant way. That alone makes your character 'powerful' regardless of whether you're the chosen one or not, or if you're showered with compliments or not (though this does result in a very narrow set of relationships with other characters). Obsidian games have this too but they handle this really well in that they ask the players to reflect upon their choices, their intended intentions (values) and actual results. I think Bioware has demonstrated an ability to do this as well.

bathsalts

If DA:I is any indication it will only deepen, they had npc's literally forming a religion around you, at least Mass effect had 2 games of build up before everyone decides your character is jesus. They didn't bother with any pretense at all in Inquisition, before the prologue ends you have npc's lined up bowing to you. That's my worry for Andromeda since they are starting with a new character, its unlikely they'll reach the legitimately good writing of the first Mass Effect so they'll opt for a character that is ordained to be the savoir of the galaxy within the first 15 minutes of the game instantly removing any grey, pigeon holing the plot and making any party members inconsequential beyond reminding the player of their importance, offering sex or needing the player to run errands for them.

What really bugs me is the protagonist having power he really shouldn't have. The councilor choice at the end of Mass Effect 1 always bothered me. Shepard is a hero, sure, give us some ego stroking if you want, but letting a glorified soldier choose one of the most powerful political figures in the galaxy because of... what exactly?... just dumb

I guess you forgot between choosing
geth or quarian on ME3

See, that's what I mean on Bioware's use of 'negligence' on such things. Because there is a way to resolve that, but it requires more additional work and preparation than is typically expected out of these scenarios, including needing certain choices from Mass Effect 2's save file.

Sou Da

It really doesn't. Hawke is only famous because of Varric's story and the "far reaching impact" was actually an action that Anders took that Cassandra thought you were responsible for.

Jarmel

Banned
What really bugs me is the protagonist having power he really shouldn't have. The councilor choice at the end of Mass Effect 1 always bothered me. Shepard is a hero, sure, give us some ego stroking if you want, but letting a glorified soldier choose one of the most powerful political figures in the galaxy because of... what exactly?... just dumb

He's a Spectre, it's not like he's some average soldier.

Sou Da

If DA:I is any indication it will only deepen, they had npc's literally forming a religion around you, at least Mass effect had 2 games of build up before everyone decides your character is jesus. They didn't bother with any pretense at all in Inquisition, before the prologue ends you have npc's lined up bowing to you. That's my worry for Andromeda since they are starting with a new character, its unlikely they'll reach the legitimately good writing of the first Mass Effect so they'll opt for a character that is ordained to be the savoir of the galaxy within the first 15 minutes of the game instantly removing any grey, pigeon holing the plot and making any party members inconsequential beyond reminding the player of their importance, offering sex or needing the player to run errands for them.

What did you read footnotes or something? That's not the case at all.

Savitar

Quite a few developers are bad for this, Blizzard does it in their games as well. I don't mind being a good guy but when it feels like they're trying to suck you off via their words you know it's gone overboard.

See, that's what I mean on Bioware's use of 'negligence' on such things. Because there is a way to resolve that, but it requires more additional work and preparation than is typically expected out of these scenarios, including needing certain choices from Mass Effect 2's save file.

True, and that approach sucks. If your goal as a player isn't to get a perfect roses-and-glitter happy ending, but experience an interesting or challenging story, it essentially punishes you for being thorough in your playthrough.

The suicide mission really disappointed me... this everyone-can-die thing was hyped so much during Mass Effect 2 that saving everyone felt far too easy

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Commander Shepard goes to prison and
dies
twice in one trilogy. Eating cake you say?
Sounds like this guy I've heard of, who was that again...oh yeah, i believe it was JESUS CHRIST?

I know, Bioware is basically just AAA popcorn RPG developer where you turn off your brain
Lol, I find this shit so insulting. The same is also said about a lot of films too. "It's just a dumb hero movie", "turn off your brain" etc. It's basically saying this game or movie is for dummies. Alright, thanks I guess.

bathsalts

What did you read footnotes or something? That's not the case at all.

How is it not? you are the herald of Andraste, chosen by the maker, literally jesus. The town forms a damn vigil for you right at the start. Sure it over simplifies it a bit but thats the gist.

At least provide counter points as to why you don't think that's the case.

oneils

You can mess up in mass effect 2 and kill or make all of your companions disloyal. My main problem with the morality system in mass effect is that it felt like being a renegade was synonymous with being incompetent rather than someone while got results at all costs.

True, and that approach sucks. If your goal as a player isn't to get a perfect roses-and-glitter happy ending, but experience an interesting or challenging story, it essentially punishes you for being thorough in your playthrough.

The suicide mission really disappointed me... this everyone-can-die thing was hyped so much during Mass Effect 2 that saving everyone felt far too easy

Yeah, its kind of the (probably) unintentional result by trying to make 'success' in the story somewhat proportional to the effort. Like, at one level I understand and have appreciated this. I really liked the idea that if I actually wanted to, I could improve the Mass Effect galaxy, partly by taking extra care in missions instead of going the easiest route, for ethical reasons. But that's kind of at odds with player mindsets on completion, and I could see what you mean by how saving everyone could feel easy. If you're planet scanning crazy you pick up most (if not all) of the materials you need for the upgrades, so the moment they appear a lot of players would spend on them without realising how they upped the odds of everyone surviving. Thus the challenge appears to have never presented itself, rather than unwittingly being overcome, neither of which was probably would have wanted if they'd known.

But then, that encourages flatout telegraphing everything to the player. in which case, they wouldn't really face the consequences, they'd calculate for them.

SugarDave

In fairness, most games are guilty of this. I don't see them straying from this formula however, their most dedicated fans absolutely love the pandering from what I've seen.

Commander Shepard goes to prison and
dies
twice in one trilogy. Eating cake you say?
I mean... that shows exactly how they let you eat cake and have it too.

First Shepard dies for five minutes in the beginning of 2 and there's no repercussions at all (IIRC there was even cut dialogue from the game where someone asked Shepard about the spiritual ramifications of dying, and in 3 the question of whether you're the same person finally comes up very near the end, only to be neatly resolved as "yes" minutes later).

You're in the world's comfiest "prison" in the beginning of 3, then immediately everyone respects you, you're effectively exonerated, and you're vindicated in everything you've ever said before gameplay even starts.

In 3, you
die at the end
, but
there was that high points destrot ending where you fucking survive somehow anyway, and in all three endings you're a revered martyr who that kid and old man at the end talk about The Shepard like thousands of yeara from now you're remembered as a legendary hero or god.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I think there's room for both. If Bioware wants to make power fantasy escapism RPGs and their fans want to buy them, what's the problem?

maxiell

I thought the Witcher 3 did a nice job of playing around with these lame conventions. A generic character creator always lends itself to generic stories.

He's a Spectre, it's not like he's some average soldier.

Even how you become a spectre is hilarious. You the player never earn the title, hell the reason you come one is really dumb depending on what you pick

"She/he was the lone survivor of x"

Sounds good

Spectre status approved!

Sou Da

How is it not? you are the herald of Andraste, chosen by the maker, literally jesus. The town forms a damn vigil for you right at the start. Sure it over simplifies it a bit but thats the gist.

At least provide counter points as to why you don't think that's the case.

DAI is all about faith, some Andrastians believe God sent you to them to close the rifts because you have to power to do so with no explanation at the time as to how you can.

That's not "literally forming a religion around the player" the religion is already there and it's just one view of the practitioners trying to make sense of this. You're no messiah either, that would blasphemous.

I think it's pretty unfair to try and paint the plot as "You're the Chosen One and the world is sucking your dick" when you know damn well that's not the case and the game does more with than that.

In 3, you
die at the end
, but
there was that high points destrot ending where you fucking survive somehow anyway, and in all three endings you're a revered martyr who that kid and old man at the end talk about The Shepard like thousands of yeara from now you're remembered as a legendary hero or god.

You're on point with everything else there but according to the devs this spoilered bit is Shepard taking his/her last breath. Not surviving.

Jarmel

Banned
Even how you become a spectre is hilarious. You the player never earn the title, hell the reason you come one is really dumb depending on what you pick

"She/he was the lone survivor of x"

Sounds good

Spectre status approved!

Well that got you on the shortlist but there was Eden Prime and finding out Saren went rouge.

Top Bottom