• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Earthbound ever be rereleased outside of Japan?

If the issue holding back the re-release before was music, that would affect all regions. So the fact that it's being re-released in Japan seems to indicate that it would also be eligible for other regions.
Not so. Copyright law, and enforcement of said copyright laws, varies by country.

Tiktaalik

From EB Central:

http://earthboundcentral.com/2012/07/earthbounds-specific-legal-issues/

The Sky Runner song needs to be changed
The Chuck Berry battle song needs to be changed
The Dali’s Clock enemy name needs to be changed

The Chuck Berry song is easily replaced with one of the other dozen or so battle songs, so that’s not a big problem. The Dali’s Clock sprite is apparently fine, just the name needs to be changed. The show-stopper is the Sky Runner song, which was made specifically for the Sky Runner scenes. They feel a new song would need to be made, and apparently NCL or someone else on the Japanese side of things isn’t happy with that or finds it too much of a bother, so the game has been in limbo for the past five years.

The Sky Runner song sounds a hell of a lot like a song by The Who but who cares? It's frankly embarrassing that a company like Nintendo with billions in the bank doesn't want to fork over cash to license a song. Apple owed up and licensed their copied clock design from Swiss Rail. It's no big deal, just pay the cash. If Nintendo is proud of their product then they should put it out there and risk a lawsuit and licensing settlement. It's not like the Who wouldn't play ball, as they've licensed their music for CSI.

One can argue that extra licensing costs could harm the profitability for the title, but at this point I think it's the right thing to do for Nintendo's customers.

Nope, never.

And that Sky Runner song sounds kinda like Won't Get Fooled Again and IANAL but it's not close enough for a law suit IMO. I've heard closer knockoffs of songs in recent commercials and had those commercials paid a license fee they wouldn't have switched up a couple notes.

The Chuck Berry thing is just standard blues/rock n roll chord progression shit for fuck's sake.

From EB Central:

http://earthboundcentral.com/2012/07/earthbounds-specific-legal-issues/

The Sky Runner song sounds a hell of a lot like a song by The Who but who cares? It's frankly embarrassing that a company like Nintendo with billions in the bank doesn't want to fork over cash to license a song. Apple owed up and licensed their copied clock design from Swiss Rail. It's no big deal, just pay the cash. If Nintendo is proud of their product then they should put it out there and risk a lawsuit and licensing settlement. It's not like the Who wouldn't play ball, as they've licensed their music for CSI.

One can argue that extra licensing costs could harm the profitability for the title, but at this point I think it's the right thing to do for Nintendo's customers.

There's more than those songs, though. Including Beatles-alikes.

Keyouta

I do wish that they'd release Mother 1+2+3 here on either the Wii U or 3DS, but the chances aren't looking too good.

Hopefully Itoi announces something to do with the revival soon, and it's not just 2 coming to the Wii U in Japan.

leroidys

What the title says, basically. Sorry for another Nintendo thread :p

Mother 2 is coming to the Japanese VC, and it would have been a perfect time to also finally rerelease it in America (and maybe eventually Europe)... but nothing.

I know there are copyright issues but the big issues are relatively easy fixes (music, enemy name, slight text changes). Is the game forever doomed outside of Japan? :'(

Also, is it safe to assume that the VC release in Japan is what Itoi was talking about when he said Mother re-release?

That... makes sense...

frDfrsp.jpg

Teknoman

I'd say theres a 95% chance that its coming to NA since Mother 2 was never released on Japanese Wii VC.

Bravo NOA. I can finally play this game. its about damn time.

There is no excuse now. They will do it. I demand it.

I am honesly surprised that this thread isn't bigger. I figured it would be blown up by now...

If it does, I hope it knocks the price down on the cartridge.

mantidor

If the legal issues apparently never mattered in Japan why will they matter overseas? is Japan outside the copyright system? I don't get it.

Well now that it's coming out in Japan (it was never on Virtual Console there, right?), I would think it's safe to say it'll come out here too now.

I would guess Itoi's tweets were in regards to helping address changes that needed to be made for legal clearance.

mrgone

I wants it too! So put another mark on that tally/petition/angry mob. And it'd be nice to see used copies of the game selling for something a little less than batshit face-slapping crazy :)

If the legal issues apparently never mattered in Japan why will they matter overseas? is Japan outside the copyright system? I don't get it.

Supposedly, it's not so much that they never mattered in Japan as it is that Nintendo wasn't aware there was a problem until NoA brought it to their attention (which didn't happen until after the GBA collection was released).

If you believe the Earthbound Central rumors, the story is that NoA had the go-ahead to release the game on VC, but they refused to do anything with it until NCL did something about the potential legal issues. It's possible that the reason Earthbound never even made it to the Japanese Virtual Console is that Nintendo was afraid to release it in Japan. If that is the case, then the upcoming release will have changes made to it, and if it does, then I think an English release is highly likely.

But if there are no changes, then I guess that means that they just aren't worried about anyone who would care enough to sue catching on to some Japan-only product. It's not like copyright doesn't exist in Japan, but it usually isn't enforced as strictly as it is in America.

BillyBats

Banned
OK, just to play a little devil's advocate here. So, Nintendo does not sell Earthbound in the US currently correct? The only way you can play it is to find a very expensive copy of it and own a snes. So, I guess what I'm saying, what is the harm of downloading the rom and playing it on an emulator in this case. Nintendo is not selling it in the US and looks like they never will. What harm would it cause? I'm not saying this is correct, just putting it out there. To me, it would be like Paramount making the Godfather and releasing only so many copies in the US on vhs. Years later, Paramount provides no way for fans to see this classic except to pay a collector an extravagant price to see this movie. You can't rent it, you can't see it on Netflix etc. Also, in that case, what would be the harm in downloading the movie?

I really don't know the legal ramifications, fines, etc. Could the fine for downloading the rom actually be LESS than the 350 bucks someone recently paid to play it? I just don't like to see fans clamoring and begging to play a classic and have NO legal way to play it (besides overpaying what should essentially be a 5 dollar download.)

Pretty much. It'll be the standard SNES $8 or perhaps even more. At least we get Super Metroid for $.30.

I'd pay whatever they want. I don't care.

Because they're worried they'll get sued a bunch. It sucks a lot but I see where they're coming from.

They have so much money that it's falling out of their asses. They should suck it up and port it, it's worth the PR good will alone.

botty

Banned
I would rather they remade the game completely. In it's current state it's an utter mess: annoying battle system, acid trip story, and the storage system sucks.

Supposedly, it's not so much that they never mattered in Japan as it is that Nintendo wasn't aware there was a problem until NoA brought it to their attention (which didn't happen until after the GBA collection was released).

If you believe the Earthbound Central rumors, the story is that NoA had the go-ahead to release the game on VC, but they refused to do anything with it until NCL did something about the potential legal issues. It's possible that the reason Earthbound never even made it to the Japanese Virtual Console is that Nintendo was afraid to release it in Japan. If that is the case, then the upcoming release will have changes made to it, and if it does, then I think an English release is highly likely.

But if there are no changes, then I guess that means that they just aren't worried about anyone who would care enough to sue catching on to some Japan-only product. It's not like copyright doesn't exist in Japan, but it usually isn't enforced as strictly as it is in America.
I would agree, except Nintendo of America deliberately nixed the "Mother 2 on Wii U VC" announcement from their version of this morning's Direct (and apparently that's the only difference between the J-Direct and the NA-Direct). North American VC release doesn't seem likely considering.

I would agree, except Nintendo of America deliberately nixed the "Mother 2 on Wii U VC" announcement from their version of this morning's Direct (and apparently that's the only difference between the J-Direct and the NA-Direct). North American VC release doesn't seem likely considering.
I wouldn't gauge anything from that, Japan had Fire Emblem on their VC promotion as well.

NoA will milk an EarthBound VC release for its full potential (price) because they know the fanbase is insane.

MisterHero

I hope they can make the appropriate changes, but if they change Pokey to Porkey... that's just crossing the line man.

I wouldn't gauge anything from that, Japan had Fire Emblem on their VC promotion as well.

NoA will milk an EarthBound VC release for its full potential (price) because they know the fanbase is insane.
Seems like now would be the proper time for NoA to milk Earthbound for whatever they think it's worth, given current Wii U sales. This Direct was all about getting people excited about the Wii U, not much reason for them to hold back a game that they're planning to release. Particularly considering that Earthbound will really only incite a specific niche - the kind of niche these Directs are aimed at - and wouldn't have much impact on the mainstream consumer at all. Not to mention the fact that they announced SMT x Fire Emblem (super niche) but not Earthbound VC. Personally, I think it's a little silly for anyone to get their hopes up for an announcement that, given NoA's history with the series, is tragically unlikely to come, but hey, to each their own. Nintendo surprises are not unheard of.

Top Bottom