• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Hiroyuki Ito (FF6/FF9/FF12 game director) return to direct FFXV?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting to note that a lot of people who dislike FF13 also seem to have ideas of how, if it were just shuffled and rearranged here and there, it'd be a good game.

Like, it's salvageable.

Versus, say, games that people downright say are beyond putting helpful thought into, like Dirge or Revenant Wings or FF2.

It should have been given another year in development. They obviously had problems getting the game together and another final draft would have solve some of its problems. They only had the paradigm and I assume the Crystarium system after the demo was done which was slightly less than 1 year before it was released. That was also the point where they finally knew what the game should play/look like lol...

I did like Revenant Wings though, even though Toriyama ruined the whole mythos of Espers (why were we able to summon the Scions so easily again?) and had his usually cursed love thingy between that extinct species of Viera and the Bird guy. The game itself wasn't that bad and I enjoyed it.

This is why, if they'd gotten the timing just a BIT better, they could have had them leave Cocoon the same time that Midgar was left. People LIKED that moment of big open world.

The fact that they made Gran Pulse also showed wasted potential. They would have no problems making more of these large areas, either for Cocoon or Pulse and given us more of that exploration feel that was missed.

jaxword

The fact that they made Gran Pulse also showed wasted potential. They would have no problems making more of these large areas, either for Cocoon or Pulse and given us more of that exploration feel that was missed.

See, Midgar was very claustrophobic too. Maybe not as many "tunnels" but there really wasn't a lot of freedom. The reactors were cramped. The slums were cramped. The buildings were cramped.

The largest explorable screens were...I'm not even sure if any were any better. Maybe some of the dumps between the sectors.

And people liked this, because it got the oppressive feeling across really well.

It's just that FF13 kept it going for TOO long. If only Gran Pulse had been explorable earlier...or at least explorable by 1/2 of the party while the rest were trapped, that would've changed the entire experience for sure.

Midou

It's just that FF13 kept it going for TOO long. If only Gran Pulse had been explorable earlier...or at least explorable by 1/2 of the party while the rest were trapped, that would've changed the entire experience for sure.

Yep. Switching between the two until they all finally meet on Gran Pulse would have made for much better pacing.

I'm sure they've read enough feedback on both XIII and XIII-2 though to at least go in the right direction for the their next big game. Though I'm a little worried with everything I've heard seen from Lightning Returns, but I'll just assume it was quickly thrown together to milk Lightning some more before next-gen.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'll be honest, I think at this point if you want classic FF, you'll need a wholescale enema of SE's management. Throwing Ito (as valuable as his contributions to the series are...) onto a new FF under the same management structure and development environment will just result in a deeply flawed game with unique ideas (i.e. FF12).

Though the pessimist in me, who has had the rug pulled out from under him constantly by SE this gen, expects Ito to be doing nothing but cellphone games. You'll just get more Lightning until the end of time, maybe if you are "lucky" you will get a western developed FF that misses the whole point of why people fell in love with the series in the first place. The most I could personally hope for for the FF series are scaled-down reactionary titles like Bravely Default on the handhelds.

Look, the FF series used to be second to Phantasy Star as my favorite all-time game series. I spent my 3rd grade summer playing FF1 over and over again after Nintendo Power's coverage got my attention - inviting my friends over to help me grind (also having the effect of turning them into big series fans). FF4's soundtrack made me fall in love with game music. Wanting to desperately play FF5 led me to studying a bit of Japanese in my spare time. The wait for FF7 was painful, but playing the demo that came with Tobal no 1 over and over helped ease the pain somewhat. I used up my food money the first week of college and walked 5 miles to the mall to pick up an extra PS1 and FF8. The days of fantastic games with huge production values and epic scope like FF6-9 are over. I've accepted this and have moved on to other developers for my RPG fix.

djtiesto

You didn't have to do that, though. It is not a requirement, nor is attacking your own characters an intended course of action. The guide you followed is dumb.

:( That hurts. I worked on one of the original FF2 guides (like, in the late 90's) and it's still up on Gamefaqs last I checked. And yes it was one of the ones that suggested beating your characters up :p

When did a Final Fantasy game ever have real roleplaying in it? Maybe it was there in the first few games when things were a whole lot more abstract, but what I've played of 6, 9, and 12 do not have any.

Are you one of those people who think "role playing" is selecting responses off a dialogue tree and that's it? I personally find that to be one of the most superfluous elements of the genre (hence one of many reasons why western RPGs don't appeal to me). Character building systems, a detailed plot, a large and detailed world with lots of quests/sidequests, and strategic battle systems are all much much more important to me than "charisma checks" and shit.

Midou

I've accepted this and have moved on to other developers for my RPG fix.

But there are so few high budget developers who still make RPGs.. handhelds might have some, and theres recent ones like Ni No Kuni, but Square Enix has the supposed money and talent there, they just need to manage them properly.

djtiesto

But there are so few high budget developers who still make RPGs.. handhelds might have some, and theres recent ones like Ni No Kuni, but Square Enix has the supposed money and talent there, they just need to manage them properly.

Truthfully, at my age, with my level of free time, and my backlog reaching critical mass... getting perhaps 2 or 3 high-quality, long RPGs a year is more than enough to satisfy me... hence why I don't bother wasting my time tying all my hope to S-E that they will finally do something interesting with the FF series (Type-0 notwithstanding).

Have you ever been In a WRPG thread on GAF? Generally it is under assault by PC RPG fans who consider stuff like Mass Effect to be visual novels with shoot bang sections and not real RPGs.

Do you realize that JRPGs are basically spun out of Ultima 3, which happened to be an incredibly straight-forward dungeon crawler compared to the games that followed? Ultima 4 ended up going in a totally different, revolutionary direction after that one, as a response to the focus on simply traveling a world and killing things.

Frankly, your RPG description could easily apply to something like Sleeping Dogs. When people talk about RPGs that lack role-playing in comparison to other games, they're talking about games like Ultima 4 and 7, or the Infinity Engine games, or really anything else closer to D&D where non-combat interactions matter as much as anything else. Not just dialogue trees and charisma checks .Things like building a character who can unlock doors other characters can't, being able to recruit characters to help in one playthrough who you could skip in favor of someone else in the next, being able to interact with the world to the point that you can end up cooking food or making potions by using hints and real world logic, and so on.

This is not to say that one style is better than the other. I just wanted to respond to the implication that role-playing in games is limited to dialogue trees. I don't think that's what people mean when they say that is what JRPGs are often missing.

Thanks for bringing that up, I don't really follow the western RPG genre very much (I don't particularly care for the typical western RPG character designs, bleak worldviews, Lord of the Rings/Star Wars cliches, stilted action RPG battle systems - though obviously there are outliers) but I was always under the impression that the reason why people love games like the Mass Effect series was because you can "affect the storyline" through dialogue trees.

I also don't think most people would consider Sleeping Dogs an RPG over the FF series (disclaimer: haven't played Sleeping Dogs). It's like that argument that "COD is an RPG because you get EXP" or the eternal debate of Zelda being an RPG or not.

I know the history of Japanese RPGs too and how they stemmed from the early Ultima games. You are talking to someone who has been interested in the genre for 25 years, Ultima 3 NES was the second RPG I ever played :p I've been in a few western RPG threads but most of the complaining I see is from Derrick01 :p

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Their whole problem is management and the fact they haven't realized they are out of their element.

They need to do what they always did best which was make jRPGs.

Midou

Truthfully, at my age, with my level of free time, and my backlog reaching critical mass... getting perhaps 2 or 3 high-quality, long RPGs a year is more than enough to satisfy me...

Well there have certainly been more high-quality RPGs this gen in general, but console JRPG wise they have been sorely lacking. Many PS1/PS2 JRPG franchises are MIA this gen. Star Ocean had a single shitty entry, Tales of had 1 great and 1 not-so-great release so far, though Xillia is coming eventually too. Namco Bandai is probably only one to have JRPGs coming out at a rate fairly similar to last-gen. They never went for crazy good technical graphics and they benefited from it.

Suikoden got so fucking good with 5, I was really hoping Konami could do something with the franchise this gen. Perhaps Suikoden 4 soured the franchise too much and 5 sold like shit or something. Though they did make that awful handheld one too. Wild Arms was never legendary, but I really liked that hex-based battle system they added in 4 and 5, and they are good as 'western-themed' games, now they are just stuck making random entries in various franchises...

My biggest gripe is the fall of Shadow Hearts developer, being bought my Microsoft and infused into Mistwalker and making the only good elements of lost odyssey.

At least many great WRPGs came out this gen too. I like them for different reasons though.

It's a long read, but I think it's important to understand the kind of influence this guy has had over the games he's worked on, and why that influence is critically important to the future of the series.

Wiki said:
Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger
Hiroyuki Ito worked as the game designer of Final Fantasy VI, where he was responsible for all the gameplay aspects such as the ATB system, Esper Magicite system, Relic system, the unique gameplay attributes of each of the playable characters, and all the various items, equipment, relics, espers and spells obtainable in the game.

He was also responsible for the structure, pacing and flow of the entire game and tried to strike a balance between the gameplay and event scenes so the game didn't feel too story-driven. He did this by mixing event scenes with gameplay and also making the player constantly have to explore the world map to get to new areas that would advance the story. An example of him mixing event scenes with gameplay is in the Opera House. The player has to interactivity enter the correct lyrics for Celes Chere and also perform some of her stage movements; they then have to run around the building as Locke Cole to reach and battle Ultros, who was attempting to sabotage the show. The original event scene for the Opera House by Yoshinori Kitase had no player interactivity apart from pressing the "A" button after each dialogue box and Ultros didn't even show up at the location. Ito decided modify it by adding more player interactivity in an effort to balance the story with gameplay.

Another example is the dining meeting with Emperor Gestahl. The original event scene by Kitase had the player going straight into the dining room and taking a seat and then just pressing the "A" button after each dialogue box until the dining meeting was over. Ito modified it so the player had to first explore and speak to all the soldiers within a time limit, some of which would even want to battle. After the time was up, they then automatically participated in the dining meeting and were given various choices of dialogue to say to Emperor Gestahl during the course of the conversation. Depending on how many soldiers they spoke to before the dining meeting and their dialogue choices to Emperor Gestahl during the conversation, they were given a number of rewards by the Emperor's attendant after the meeting was over. Hiroyuki Ito believes that making events scenes require player interactivity allows for greater player immersion and therefore makes the world feel more like a real place and not just a backdrop of a story. He eventually became the co-director of Final Fantasy VI when the original director Hironobu Sakaguchi stepped down due to being too busy with other commitments.

The next game Ito worked on was Chrono Trigger. The game was in development at the same time as Final Fantasy VI but by a different development team. When development of Final Fantasy VI was complete, Hironobu Sakaguchi moved Hiroyuki Ito and Yoshinori Kitase over to the Chrono Trigger team as he wanted to speed up the games development so it could be released early the next year.Sakaguchi appointed Ito and Kitase to be co-directors alongside the existing directors Takashi Tokita and Akihiko Matsui.

While Ito checked the current content and progress of the game, he noticed that all the event scenes in the game only required the player to press the "A" button after dialogue boxes. As a result of noticing this, he decided to step down as a director and instead take the position of an event planner. The reason was so he could spend most of his time and effort on modifying the event scenes to require more player interactivity like he had done to the event scenes in Final Fantasy VI. An example of an event scene Ito created was the trial of Crono.

At the time Ito joined the project, there was no trial and Crono was thrown in jail by the Chancellor as soon as he returned to Guardia Castle with Marle. Ito decided to modify this by adding a trial scene that would determine if Crono was guilty. He created numerous morality events at the Millennial Fair that would affect Crono's case and created dialogue choices during the trial for the player to input. The player's gameplay actions at the Millennial Fair and their dialogue responses during the trial would all affect the verdict on Crono. Ito says that his aim in creating this event scene was to show players that their gameplay actions can influence the story.

Final Fantasy XII
While Matsuno continued to work on the story and the history, mythology, sociology and ecosystem of Ivalice, Ito began to create the game design and battle system. He took influence from his game design in Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy Tactics and Matsuno's battle system design in Vagrant Story. He also took influence from his battle transitions in Chrono Trigger. The basic gameplay concept Ito came up with was for the game to prioritise exploration of a vast, fully realised world. The reason for the long development cycle was due to Ito needing a large amount of time to create the large, interconnected maps and also the new seamless battle system to be used in the game.

When the game was eventually released in Japan, it received high praise from multiple Japanese newspapers and magazines. It also became the first Final Fantasy game to get a perfect score from Famitsu. Due to this critical acclaim and Hiroyuki Ito being a director on the game right from the start of the project, he was offered a promotion to the position of game producer by Yoichi Wada, president of Square Enix. However, Ito declined the offer as he still wanted a hands-on role in game development. As a result, rather than Wada retracting the offer, he instead gave Ito a promotion to the position of Producer/Director, which was a hybrid of both game director and game producer. At the CESA 2006 Japan Game Awards held on 22 September 2006, Ito accepted the "Grand Award" and "Award for Excellence" for Final Fantasy XII as the producer of the game. Upon receipt of the "Grand Award" at the award ceremony, he said that he was not expecting the game win two awards due to some gamers not liking the ADB system. He stated that he felt that the changes in gameplay introduced in Final Fantasy XII were necessary to keep Final Fantasy being a series that was relevant and prominent in the constantly evolving global gaming market.

There is no way in hell that this man is somewhere twiddling his thumbs/ supervising mobile games. It's just not who he is. It's been a whole 5 years since he released the IZJS for FFXII in Japan, and I fully expect to see another large scale FF from him very, very soon.

Verendus

Banned
It's a long read, but I think it's important to understand the kind of influence this guy has had over the games he's worked on, and why that influence is critically important to the future of the series.

There is no way in hell that this man is somewhere twiddling his thumbs/ supervising mobile games. It's just not who he is. It's been a whole 5 years since he released the IZJS for FFXII in Japan, and I fully expect to see another large scale FF from him very, very soon.
Ito behind FF16 am confirmed.

Tex117

Banned
^^^

Eff, why wont the management of square just let their teams do what they do.

Ito, Matsuno (long since left), and a few others...just let them make a freaking JRPG without focus testing it.

^^^

Eff, why wont the management of square just let their teams do what they do.

Ito, Matsuno (long since left), and a few others...just let them make a freaking JRPG without focus testing it.

It took 5 years to make FFXII & FFXIII. That kind of wait, for something that isn't a sequel/spinoff, is typical nowadays. The guy reminds me of Hidetaka Miyazaki.

Ito behind FF15 am confirmed.

I'll see you in June.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"For me, the most important element of a RPG is the player feeling like they are taking the role of a character in a fully realised fantasy world. They can explore a vast world, visit various towns and dungeons, talk to numerous NPCs, customise the equipment and abilities of their character, collect a wide variety of items, battle many different types of monsters, and engage in optional side-quests and mini-games. The story and event scenes are also important, but they should be balanced with these aspects of RPG gameplay."

I found this quote from the Final Fantasy XII Scenario Ultimania on his wiki, and unsurprisingly, it makes a lot of sense considering the man's body of work. He knows how to make great JRPGs. He's either directed or co-directed the most well-received/respected entries in the FF series, but since 2007, it looks like all he's been doing is serving as an advisor on handheld/mobile games...

Surely someone with that kind of pedigree has to be working on something larger behind the scenes right? If it hasn't already, by now FFXV is definitely in some stage of early development. Toriyama and Kitase are busy wrapping up the conclusion of their epic FFXIII saga, Nomura is busy doing whatever he's doing with Versus, and the FFXIV crew is busy desperately trying to resurrect that game....who's left to work on FFXV? Do you think we'll see Ito leading the next major game? Be it Agni's Philosophy/FFXV/etc?

I think the series is due for another solid entry from him right about now.

Seems to be the only guy left at Square that gets it. Naturally he's not in charge of anything.

He had this to say in a recent interview.
I'm a working stiff, so if the president tells me to do it, I'll do it. [laughs] Talk to Mr. Wada.
I still don't think he's only working on mobile/social games.

I think it'd be interesting for Kawazu to take another shot at the series, though frankly I'd rather he make another SaGa (or SOMETHING)

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I think it'd be interesting for Kawazu to take another shot at the series, though frankly I'd rather he make another SaGa (or SOMETHING)

I want another Saga game....Or give him the next FF... He likes his open world randomness :) Just pair him with someone to pull him back when he goes crazy with too far out ideas.

jaxword

An example of him mixing event scenes with gameplay is in the Opera House. The player has to interactivity enter the correct lyrics for Celes Chere and also perform some of her stage movements; they then have to run around the building as Locke Cole to reach and battle Ultros, who was attempting to sabotage the show. The original event scene for the Opera House by Yoshinori Kitase had no player interactivity apart from pressing the "A" button after each dialogue box and Ultros didn't even show up at the location. Ito decided modify it by adding more player interactivity in an effort to balance the story with gameplay.

Christ, did they dodge a bullet there.

Imagine if the entire Opera scene was done with just pushing A?

It'd be the Laughing Scene of the 90s.

OH GOD I HOPE SO!

I'd take my chances with a janitor at Nabisco over the people who have been at the wheel for the last 6 or 7 years.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
And I don't trust Kitase at all.

That means you don't trust the guy who provided direction, co-direction, or design direction on FFVI, Chrono Trigger, FFVII, and FFX. :p

Stark

Banned
That means you don't trust the guy who provided direction, co-direction, or design direction on FFVI, Chrono Trigger, FFVII, and FFX. :p

Lets not forget some contribution to scenario in mostly all of those.

Unfortunate people lump him with Toriyama when he's just had 3 games stuck to the forefront rather he generally produces all games in some form for PD1.

He's basically just a back heel with barely any contribution. He has had as much contribution to the series as Ito and other veterans that need to be tested.

CorvoSol

This is why, if they'd gotten the timing just a BIT better, they could have had them leave Cocoon the same time that Midgar was left. People LIKED that moment of big open world.

The problem isn't with Pulse for me. I mean, I suppose from a story telling point, Pulse is where the line is crossed at long last since 1)
Hope somehow magically knows they need to go to Oerba and that's never touched on again.
and 2)
There's nothing IN Oerba.
The problem for me is the return trip. Eden is so cluttered and small after Pulse's grand expanse, that it's kinda unfun. I postpone going back to Cocoon as long as possible when playing XIII, since Archelytte is the legitimate good part of the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Lets not forget some contribution to scenario in mostly all of those.

Unfortunate people lump him with Toriyama when he's just had 3 games stuck to the forefront rather he generally produces all games in some form for PD1.

Actually, I'd blame the crap stories on Daisuke Watanabe too. These are the games he wrote with Motomu Toriyama:

- Final Fantasy XIII
- Final Fantasy XIII-2
- Dissidia Final Fantasy
- and the upcoming LR:FFXIII

Though Watanabe had no involvement with 3rd Birthday I believe.

jaxword

Yeah, and I also don't trust that "Nomura" guy either, let's go back to the guy who worked on the SNES games.

Stark

Banned
Actually, I'd blame the crap stories on Daisuke Watanabe too. These are the games he wrote with Motomu Toriyama:

- Final Fantasy XIII
- Final Fantasy XIII-2
- Dissidia Final Fantasy

The 3rd Birthday was solely Toriyama.

He did Dissidia, too? :/ It seems Watanabe + Someone is a universal deadly combo:

Nomura recalls that when he first showed Watanabe an image of Ventus from Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Watanabe instantly knew that the story would involve the heart of Ventus going into Sora and lead to the physical image of Ventus becoming Roxas.

remember this and went, "how."

Wish Nojima would've had a more prominent role. I know Kitase would've chosen him. :x

ULTROS!

Nojima + Watanabe are fine though (FFX, yes even KH). Nojima is there to neutralize the shit that Watanabe writes.

ULTROS!

Did Nojima co-write KH with him? never knew.

Here are the KH scenario writers:

Jun Akiyama - Directed the events for Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics (A2, WotL, Advance), and FFXII.
(lead scenario writer)

Daisuke Watanabe
(scenario writer)

Kazushige Nojima
(scenario writer)

Keiko Nobumoto
(scenario supervisor)

Tetsuya Nomura
(story)

Even if people think KH has one of the most convoluted stories ever, it's still leagues better than FFXIII ~Lightning's Trilogy~ story.

ULTROS!

Imagine an entire game where you push forward and press X.

Bayonetta_box_artwork.png

On very easy mode.

Stark

Banned
Here are the KH scenario writers:

Even if people think KH has one of the most convoluted stories ever, it's still leagues better than FFXIII ~Lightning's Trilogy~ story.

Ah thanks. I never knew Jun Akiyama was lead writer. Interesting team.

He's also credited as Versus scenario director.

Khrno

Even if he's produced some really good titles? And what's basically a superficial role? That's a bit silly.

The Fabula Nova Crystallis debacle has been more than just a bit silly. Some place the blame strictly on Toriyama, but I give Kitase his share.

Although my dislike for him is not as big as for Tanaka, and I do not think he should follow a similar path either, I just think he needs to be removed from producing new FF games. Go back and supervise VI's remake, do some more mobile games, maybe he will find his focus back by making a 3DS game.

Stark

Banned
The Fabula Nova Crystallis debacle has been more than just a bit silly. Some place the blame strictly on Toriyama, but I give Kitase his share.

Although my dislike for him is not as big as for Tanaka, and I do not think he should follow a similar path either, I just think he needs to be removed from producing new FF games. Go back and supervise VI's remake, do some more mobile games, maybe he will find his focus back by making a 3DS game.

They have no matter in execution. Tanaka was given a chance and failed. Kitase hasn't been given one since X. His role has been extremely superficial. I'm assuming that is the reason you keep bringing him up.

I don't see any reason to dislike him. The closest mistake you can pin him for was staff picking, but even that we don't know he did and if so, then he should be commended for the staff he picked for Type-0 and probably even a bit of Versus. He isn't the entire management and he produces a bunch of different titles. Thus I say you're being a bit silly. There is no reason not to see what he is still capable of and pin him to the point of disliking or having no faith.

Top Bottom